• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best guide to use for private accommodation

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I will be walking my Camino next year (late may to early July) and am planning to stay in private accommodation for a variety of reasons. I am wondering which of the guides would have the most information on private accommodation options. I was looking at John Brierley's web site and while he says his guide covers both albergues and private accommodation, I don't have a good feeling for how extensive his private accommodation listings are. Has anyone used his guide for private accommodations? I would appreciate any feedback. I may just have to purchase it to find out.

I have to say I am amused by Brierley's return policy..."Our "no quibbles" guarantee means that if for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, you can return it to us...[my italics]".....but wait there's more..."in its original condition within 30 days of the date you received the item, unopened (with any seals and shrink wrap intact)..." So, my question is, how would one know if one would be unhappy with the book if you can't look at the inside of the book? Is he thinking you might be unhappy with the color of the cover or the way the shrink wrap was applied? Or?? Now, please understand that I say all this with tongue in cheek, because I can well imagine he doesn't want to ship out his books, have people read them, and then return them for a refund. So speaking of "no quibbles," I have no quibbles with his return policy, I just thought it was terribly funny. It's good material for Bill Bryson or Dave Barry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Brierley's list is comprehensive, but provides only the number of stars and the phone number. The actual price and exact location usually requires additional research (in the larger cities, accommodation locations are shown on the maps with a fair degree of accuracy).

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Private accommodation info is the great strength of the Miam Miam Dodo guide. The only quibble is that it's less than complete for some larger towns. Where lodging is abundant, it sometimes leaves you to hunt about; though it always offers enough suggestions, with contacts, to get by.

Remember it's in French, but it's pretty easy to interpret. Also, the authors recommend tearing out the non-informational bits for travelling - and even give you the approx weight with and without intro and variants!

Buy fresh, as the Frances and Le Puy guides are updated annually.

Best

Rob

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another option is to simply work out where you plan (assuming you have one) to finish each day and check out what websites like tripadvisor or trivago have to say.

You could also get someone to book them all for you, tapping into their local knowledge about what places are good value at the time and if the first choice is not available then what the next best option is etc. Send me a PM if you want some recommendations.

Alternatively you could have no plan and just see what's available on the day.

Cheers,

Jason.

Hi -

Search this site as there are 2 good listings here. One is near all inclusive and posted by a German pilgrim. The other recommends one hotel/Parador, etc. per night based on the writer's multiple Caminos.

I will try to attach a spreadsheet I've modified from the all inclusive (link above). It eliminates all albergues & most pensiones.

Buen Camiono!
Larry

Attachments

• Camino Frances Hotel & Casa Rural Accommodation 2012.xlsx
    107.5 KB · Views: 294
Brierley's book is good especially in many smaller places since he lists all that are to be found there! For a more comprehensive listing try "The Way of St James" by Jose Maria Anguita Jaen published in English by Everest. Brierley is a Camino icon and woe to any including me who would say anything disparaging - however his maps are mis-orientated and often infuriating something put to rights in the book above.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
robertt said:
Private accommodation info is the great strength of the Miam Miam Dodo guide.
...Buy fresh, as the Frances and Le Puy guides are updated annually. Rob
I'd agree with this. I used the Miam Miam Dodo guide to the Camino Frances on my first Camino, and it gave lots of options.
One option that I would like to suggest is for Cacabelos, at the hotel there. They had big billboards advertising a pilgrim price before you reached the town. I took a punt and stayed there, and loved it. The service was friendly, the room was very spacious, the shower room was divine, and I felt like I had been on holiday when I restarted the next day.
Margaret

Thank you all for your responses. It seems like the Miam Miam Dodo guide may be the best option for me, especially since I can read French. I don't want to do much research on specific places in advance, because, with few exceptions, I don't know exactly where I will be stopping.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have and do use both the MMDD and Brierley guides. On the Le Puy route the MMDD is essential and is important to have with you as most people reserve a day ahead on the Le Puy route.

However, I prefer the Brierley guide on the Camino Frances. It has a very good listing of private accommodation as well as some pretty good typical "guide" information about the area you are in.
The maps are better in my opinion are better than anything in the MMDD...an opinion, of course.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back