• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best / Recommended Pizza places on the camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So with little more to add to the wealth of information offered here, I am thinking we need a good pizza place recommendation list! Would love to see other's thoughts and suggestions...

I have two places:

Arzua (Multiple Caminos including Frances): Il Fornacio - most definitely the best pizza i've ever had in my life, though that is said by a guy who probably walked 20-30km those days. They have a great selection, fresh, cool hosts, and they have the olive oil infused with peppars.

Ribadesella (Norte): Pizzería La Parolaccia Ribadesella - Friendly atmosphere. Good fresh pizza.

Now I'm not talking about the frozen ones they just heat up... I'm talking about good/fresh/amazing pizza!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't recall the name, but last year there was an injured/sick pilgrim in Estella and the daughter of a woman who ran the Pizza Place helped her and took her to the doctor, translated, etc. The mom and daughter really helped her out. If I knew the name of the Mom's pizza place, I would eat there even if it was frozen pizza...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My stepfathers family being from there historically I judge my pizza vs a genuine napolitana pizza. Marguerita or marinara. There are no others. Period. (I believe I’m communicating transatlantically with the
‘really should have kept that beard’ Damien )

Second I consider the time it takes to be cooked. Order (count <30 seconds) served.

On the (or should I say A) Camino - you don’t specify - two places: Tui on the Portuguese (only one in town) and a place in Malaga for the Mozerabe .

You’re going to have to sort hat lot out somehow. I’ll switch get phone off for a while. I’ve just finished a Camino today.

Last edited by a moderator:
La Piccola Stanza, Leon

Sometimes with prime locations and city views, one might expect to make a trade-off with great food. Not here! It overlooks the cathedral on a lively square and the wood-fired pizza (according to my husband) is really legit.

P.S. Edited to add pizza photo...and they have great salads too :)
dinner in leon.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't know its name but there is an Italian restaurant in Rua do Vilar in Santiago where you can dine on pulpo pizza. Truly! It is my favourite pizza ever, except for anchovie pizza but as that gives me gout, a no-no when walking the camino, the pulpo pizza is No 1.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Sarria, Mattias has fabulous food with outstanding pizzas. Super, friendly service too. Stopped here twice. Good place for lunch before continuing on to Barbadelo to sleep.

Have had great pizzas in 2 different places in Portomarin, but cannot remember the names of the restaurants.

Don't remember having pizza anyplace else except those last 100km.

Arzua (Multiple Caminos including Frances): Il Fornacio - most definitely the best pizza i've ever had in my life,
You need to spend more time in The Bronx. If you fly me up from Mexico where I live now we can meet in The Bronx (where I grew up) and I can take you to 10 pizza places to get a slice and you will forget all about this place, believe me!!!:)

Having said that:
In Sarria, Mattias has fabulous food with outstanding pizzas
I ate there 10 years ago and I thought it was the best pizza I had in Spain. Have never been back because I walk in late fall and early winter now and when I am on the CF it is always closed. But I guess based on @Jodean it is still very good.
I reads temporarily closed in google as it is closed all winter.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 43
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just want to give some additional love to Il Fornacio in Arzúa. I think I've been there three times now, and it's always a sort of mystical oasis in my mind. The pizza is fantastic, and the place itself is just fun to be in.

When we first happened upon it in our second Camino, my wife and I thought it must be a mirage. A pizza place in Spain?

I mean, of course there have to be pizza places in Spain, it's just that we hadn't seen one. It made a marvelous change from the pilgrim menus we had been steadily consuming up to that point.

It's the reason we always try to time our stages so that we can eat here either for lunch or dinner.

That’ll be the day, for me in Spain. I have yet to experience not craving more real hand cut patatas fritas! If they only had a pizza de patatas fritas 😋. Anyone know where? 😉☺️
My mother worked in a Scottish fish and chip shop in the 1970s. Pizza was on the menu. In practice this meant a frozen pizza taken straight from the freezer and put straight into the fat fryer. When it emerged the base was saturated with fat and fragments of fish batter and the odd chip were stuck to the molten cheese. Possibly not the "pizza de patatas fritas" you had in mind ... :cool:

We don't have a worst pizza thread, but in Sahagun, ordered a cheese pizza and it came with walnuts on it, hidden under the cheese? There was no mention of this on the menu. When I told the mgr. I couldn't eat them (per google translate), he shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Only thing left to do was scrape them off the pizza.
Who would have guessed that walnuts would come on a cheese pizza?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We don't have a worst pizza thread, but in Sahagun, ordered a cheese pizza and it came with walnuts on it, hidden under the cheese? There was no mention of this on the menu. When I told the mgr. I couldn't eat them (per google translate), he shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Only thing left to do was scrape them off the pizza.
We had a lovely exchange student from China who lived with us for a year. I taught her how to make pizza and soon she was making pizzas with carrots, broccoli, and other healthful vegies. Not exactly what one would expect.

La Piccola Stanza, Leon

Sometimes with prime locations and city views, one might expect to make a trade-off with great food. Not here! It overlooks the cathedral on a lively square and the wood-fired pizza (according to my husband) is really legit.
It is great! In view of the Cathedral doors. Nice owners as well as good food.

Sabine beat me to it.
Wonderful!
20190529_133200.jpg

And on the Invierno, there's a good pizza place in Lalin, A Casa do Gato. Same owner as the albergue. Very nice place!

Foncebadón has a real pizza place. Really classes up the place.
Foncebadón!?!
OMG, hard to imagine. Times have changed.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With all the really fine food to be had across all the regions of Spain, some might think that looking for a good pizzeria while on Camino is sacrilege. However, I have some thoughts on that.

I have traveled internationally for some 50 years - so far. In all my travels, whenever I cannot figure out what to eat, and what to avoid, I simply look for a pizza place. You can find them without even knowing the local language. Somehow the word "pizza" translates directly to most all languages that I have encountered. Just look for the signs in almost any town or city.

Because I grew up in an extended Italian-American family that once owned a pizzeria, I know that all pizza that is cooked in an oven is cooked at about 550 degrees (F). This will sterilize anything on it.

So, as a general concept, anything put on the pizza BEFORE it goes into the oven is usually safe to eat by the time it comes out of the very hot oven. Garnishes added after the pizza comes out of the oven could be iffy.

In terms of knowing which one to order, on any given menu, in any given country and language, the cheapest style pizza offered is typically the classic Pizza Margherita - the simple, crust, cheese, sauce and oregano concoction that most of the world is familiar with.

While it is true that you can get some VERY exotic ingredients on your pizza in most countries of the world, it is also true that sticking with the basic cheese pizza is a safe bet for simply needing to find comfort food when far from home. It is actually quite nutritious, especially for a pilgrim who needs to pile on carbs.

So, I am sympathetic to seeking pizza for subsistence when you simply are at a loss for what it eat in a new place. It works for me.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

Last edited:
Foncebadón!?!
OMG, hard to imagine. Times have changed.
In 2019 the Foncebadon pizzeria staged an event where they were going to try to make the largest pizza in Spain. Never did discover how that went! :)

So with little more to add to the wealth of information offered here, I am thinking we need a good pizza place recommendation list! Would love to see other's thoughts and suggestions...

I have two places:

Arzua (Multiple Caminos including Frances): Il Fornacio - most definitely the best pizza i've ever had in my life, though that is said by a guy who probably walked 20-30km those days. They have a great selection, fresh, cool hosts, and they have the olive oil infused with peppars.

Ribadesella (Norte): Pizzería La Parolaccia Ribadesella - Friendly atmosphere. Good fresh pizza.

Now I'm not talking about the frozen ones they just heat up... I'm talking about good/fresh/amazing pizza!

If you are Ever on the Portuguese route, we had fantastic pizza at Antonio Mezzero in Matosinhos. It’s pricey, but worth it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Never be surprised about local pizza preferences. I live in Mexico, and many locals put Ketchup on their pizza...even mayonnaise!

I have two places:

We loved Fornacio pizza in Arzua-Sept 2018

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_144320_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_144320_Gallery.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 34
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great topic of discussion - My favorite pizza is from "Pizzeria Bitinia" in Santillana Del Mar located in The Plaza Del Rey Center. This is the vegetarian pizza. (Click on the photo to enlarge). The place has 2,100 reviews online with a 4.6 star rating !!! During 2 Norte Camino walks I have eaten here 4 times !!!
Nothing short of great pizza.......

Attachments

• 2943.jpg
    2943.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

I have two places:

Isla in Burgos ... oh, I forgot that it's the best burger place that I've had on the Camino

Last edited:

I have two places:

In the main Plaza Pontevedra there's a small pizza kiosk big slices and cheap

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well... Pizza expert I am not and maybe it could be considered a 'sacrilege' to eat pizza while in Spain... ;)... but the only time that I had a craving for pizza I surely got myself one.
Pizza Románica (washed down with a Radler) at El Topo - was very tasty and one can hardly argue about the view 😁
It was large enough that I comfortably ate about 1/2 then took the rest to the Albergue where I nicely stuffed it into a fridge and finished it off the following day with Kas Limon and... "gave myself a break" 🤣

Attachments

• 20220608_184835.jpg
    20220608_184835.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220609_110357.jpg
    20220609_110357.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220608_184834.jpg
    20220608_184834.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This yummy concoction was the Pizza Gallega version from Cevexaria Rua Bella in SdC. Raining cats and dogs it was that day, so this went down a treat.

I also had some pretty tasty individual takeaway slices while in the city. I remember one such place that enticed me inside with their signage: "People Disappoint but Pizza is Eternal."

pizza.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Osteria El Italiano in Portomarin has some of the best pizza anywhere. Also Italian wines, Sambuca, etc. The young man who runs the place is from Milano and speaks fluent English, Spanish, and Italiano. Located near the rear of the church on the street with the porticos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Osteria El Italiano in Portomarin. Wonderful pizza. Pasta also. The guy who runs it is from Italy and know what he is doing.

El Horno de Irotz, just before Zabaldika, was a cute little place to eat pizza outside. I believe they are only open seasonally because they only have/had outside seating. I tried their pizza in 2014 and it was pretty good, although it helped that I was famished when I stumbled upon the place. It seemed to be fairly new at that time and the owners had an infectiously high level of energy. Was it the best pizza on the Way? Maybe not, but then again that's coming from a serious pizza snob. I'd still recommend it if you pass through and find them open.

1710165114423.png

When I got my 1st craving for pizza, I was already in Leon. Ristorante El Topo (9 Pl. de Regla - right on the corner lookig at the Cathedral) did just fine. a Yummy Pizza Romanica along with Amstel Radler
20220608_184834.jpg 20220608_184835.jpg

(Couldnt eat the whole pie so leftovers served me well as Desayuno NUmero Duo the following day... which I happily shared with "Wilson" 🤣 )
20220609_110357.jpg 20220609_110423.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We stopped for a great pizza lunch in Melide. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the bar, but, having just crossed the bridge on the way in, it's on the left just as you arrive in town - think it was the first bar you happen across.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back