• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Competition for the best hamburger in Spain

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Three restaurants in Santiago de Compostela compete for the best hamburger in Spain.

Do try them out when in Santiago the next month.
Lume ( with female chef Lucia Freitas ) is one of the three competing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:) I think not. After walking the VdlP the second time I stayed in a remarkably cheap room above Lucia's flagship restaurant A Tafona. Very comfortable. But I couldn't bring myself to pay upwards of €120 for a menu and ate at Casa Manolo instead! :)

Last time we were in Santiago, Tafona was fully booked so we went to Casa Marcelo.
Next time I really want to get into Lume.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I hope it’s ok if we chime in with our favorite hamburger stops along the Camino. I remember an amazing hamburger in El Feudo Real in Grado on the Primitivo. Their website is down, but tripadvisor has info. All meat they serve is from animals they have raised themselves. I do not each much meat, but always find that the hamburgers in Spain are excellent, at least as @SabP says, if you choose your places carefully.

Of course it may also have to do with the fact that I’m usually ravenous when I eat them!

The competition rules.

The entries from Asturias.

Those from Huelva.

Ok, let’s dig out some other contenders. I’m particularly interested in Galicia and Andalucía, which is where I hope to be walking this year. I have included links to last year’s competitors as well as this year’s, since the “losers” are likely to be very very good and not have long lines.

Málaga:

Almería:

Sevilla won last year:

Places in Galicia, several on the Portugués:

A Coruña:

On my google search, I found an interesting article in El País. Winning the title changes the place’s life completely - the 2019 winner, the Bacon Cheeseburger of Juancho’s BBQ in Chamberí (a nice residential part of Madrid, near Glorieta de Bilbao) went from a staff of 6 to 80, from one locale to 8 in Madrid. Other similar tales reported in the article, which is entitled “The Miracle of winning the hamburger competition - infinite lines, new locations, and delivery service.”

If anyone finds any places on the Invierno, I would love to know about it!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am not really a hamburger fan ( and less so since I eat vegetarian 95 % of the time) A food competition I like more is a "pintcho" competition they have beginning of may in Ourense. You can visit different bars, eat their pintcho that is specially developed for the competition fill in a report and up to the next bar. They probably have these kind of competitions in more cities

I am not really a hamburger fan ( and less so since I eat vegetarian 95 % of the time) A food competition I like more is a "pintcho" competition they have beginning of may in Ourense. You can visit different bars, eat their pintcho that is specially developed for the competition fill in a report and up to the next bar. They probably have these kind of competitions in more cities

Yes pintxo competions all over the norh of Spain.
Logroño of course. San Sebastian, Santander, Santiago and many other cities.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A little bit of a diversion. I am currently staying with a friend in Wales while my house is seriously renovated. A pub in the village offers a massive hamburger - 4 4oz patties plus bacon and cheese on a bun. Not exactly haute cuisine but very satisfying after a day of lugging furniture in and out of a van! :)

IMG_20231005_194854~2.jpg
IMG_20231005_194723.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the best burger we had on the Camino was in Virgin del Camino at a restaurant that says on Google Maps that it is Cafe Bar Virca. I am not sure now whether it was really the burger or the experience. Phil and I were the only ones in the restaurant. The young waiter was extremely proud that he had spent some time in Great Britain (a semester abroad I think) so he could converse with us.

We ordered the hamburgesa and after it was served, the waiter and the owner let us know they also cooked orders for the local swimming pool and had to make a delivery there and would be back shortly. They left the owner's two adolescent boys as our servers. The two of them came out of the kitchen and politely introduced themselves in English and then went back into the kitchen and argued loudly in Spanish. The only thing I could make out with my rudimentary Spanish was that the younger one was going to "tell Papa" about something the older one had done and the older one was going to beat him up if he carried through. (Typical of something my boys would have also argued about...)

The hamburgesa was really good. The first one we had in Spain and on the Camino. I am not certain I've had one in Spain since. It is a fun memory for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A little bit of a diversion. I am currently staying with a friend in Wales while my house is seriously renovated. A pub in the village offers a massive hamburger - 4 4oz patties plus bacon and cheese on a bun. Not exactly haute cuisine but very satisfying after a day of lugging furniture in and out of a van! :)

View attachment 163992
View attachment 163993
With ‘American Cheese’. Classy.

I am at times guilty of judging my food by weight alone but surely even the US admits to more than two types of cheese these days?

I do love American processed cheese food on my burger though...very gooey and melty. American Deluxe is the kind I get for home cooked/grilled burgers, I only get different cheese on a burger when eating at a restaurant if it is some kind of special Black and Bleu burger or a Pepper Jack burger or Swiss and grilled onions with a patty melt (rye bread).

edit: so tasty, but so bad for you...

Interesting thread, but for myself when in Spain I never opt for a hamburger or even pizza...I can get that in the US any time I want. I prefer to order anything that is local and indicative of the area I am traveling in if possible; different than what I can easily order at home.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Three restaurants in Santiago de Compostela compete for the best hamburger in Spain.

Do try them out when in Santiago the next month.
Lume ( with female chef Lucia Freitas ) is one of the three competing.

They also have an annual tapas competition with the finals held in Villadolid. I just missed it last year but @David Tallan caught one day of it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I
Interesting thread, but for myself when in Spain I never opt for a hamburger or even pizza...I can get that in the US any time I want. I prefer to order anything that is local and indicative of the area I am traveling in if possible; different than what I can easily order at home.
I most admit I am surprised by the ‘appetite’ for burgers on here especially when overseas. Admittedly I am not from USA or Canada but they are ‘last resort’, ‘nothing else open’ options for me. They can taste ok I guess after a stomach full of booze! I did have one in USA on my first visit (1989) and it was huge! We had a pizza the next night and it was the size of a bike wheel!

Maybe I am missing out so I will try one soon!

I

I most admit I am surprised by the ‘appetite’ for burgers on here especially when overseas. Admittedly I am not from USA or Canada but they are ‘last resort’, ‘nothing else open’ options for me. They can taste ok I guess after a stomach full of booze! I did have one in USA on my first visit (1989) and it was huge! We had a pizza the next night and it was the size of a bike wheel!

I never visited the USA so no idea about the quality or quantity of the burgers there but here in Europe I love to visit restaurants that serve good produce and yes hamburgers are part of that.
I especially love the places that use products from local farmers so short chain and traceable.
I certainly do not need alcohol to appreciate food.

I

No, don't bother . Ask for an omelette or a tortilla.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I never visited the USA so no idea about the quality or quantity of the burgers there but here in Europe I love to visit restaurants that serve good produce and yes hamburgers are part of that.
I especially love the places that use products from local farmers so short chain and traceable.
I certainly do not need alcohol to appreciate food.
I spent a lot of time there back in the day, although never lived there, and really enjoyed the food. Loved the old school diners esp. such as ‘Tick Tock’ in Manhattan, and those across the country. Hope those places get protected. Big part of American heritage for me. Guess I like the Tex Mex style though I guess rather than just burgers, although don’t think anywhere touches USA for steaks. Well, maybe Argentina and South Africa. I think the breakfasts were so fabulous and filling that I was done for the rest of the day!! Maybe that was it.

I do like a nice wine to accompany lunch or dinner though!

Anyway (sorry!) back to Spain and burgers!

Last edited:
A hamburger "is a standard item in many fast food chains, but is increasingly finding its way into traditional and even upmarket restaurants".

Mass produced fast food hamburgers of the McDonald's kind are not what the competition for the best hamburger in Spain is about.

It would not have occurred to me to eat in a McDonald's in Spain but the tiny hamburger tapas in La Quinta del Monje in Burgos were irresistible. At home I also order a hamburger / burger in a proper restaurant from time to time. The main meat ingredient - a ground beef patty - has been standard fare in kitchens in Europe for ages although I usually know it as a mixture of beef and pork.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like how they call Duck tape 'American tape'.
I call it Duct tape and think it was originally designed to be used for "duct work", both in construction and repairs...Duck tape I believe was a spin off and sounds nearly the same.
P.S. I grew up on "American cheese"; a processed, salty, soft product, but as an adult have avoided it like the plague...and that goes for Limburger, too, according to my taste buds.😝

Last edited:
I like to think that it's their way of saying that the cheese is awesome. Like how they call Duck tape 'American tape'.
Do they actually advertise hamburger cheese as "American cheese" in Spain? I am really just curious.

Just to clarify: The post that you commented on is about a "Bacon & Cheese" burger that can be had for £9.95 in Wales in the UK and not in Spain. And I am not sure whether that is meant as a warning or as praise of its awesomeness. :cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It usually says American Processed Cheese on the package. It has an emulisier in it which makes it melty.

In the US, low income families used to be able to pick up extra commodities that were purchased by the government as stockpile in support of some farmers. Dry powdered milk and big blocks of American cheese were part of that. Also sometimes honey or peanut butter and maybe a few other things.

I always loved that cheese. Makes good baked Macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. Makes me think of childhood.

Mass produced fast food hamburgers of the McDonald's kind are not what the competition for the best hamburger in Spain is about.
Just to clarify, I realize Spain's hamburger competition is not about fast food chain quality, obviously.🙄 The US has burgers galore and some of the very best ones with quality hamburger meat are served in bars(pubs) and restaurants and use interesting toppings, but nearly always between a handheld bun. When I decide to have a hamburger, I never choose a fast food chain, which is a stereotype. @SabsP photo of that burger in Spain looks absolutely scrumptious, but I always wait until I go home to get one. I usually choose fish or seafood in Spain.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I always loved that cheese. Makes good baked Macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. Makes me think of childhood.
Thank you, Janet! I, too, have known this kind of cheese product since childhood but under different names. I rarely buy it these days. I have learnt today that it was introduced on the markets by Kraft Foods in 1950.

These days, I know it mainly as an ingredient in this kind of popular food:

Croque Monsieur.jpg
In particular Le Puy walkers may have encountered it. :cool:

Last edited:
It's true, and those meals are what I grew up on from my mom's cooking and I loved it. As an adult I substitute different cheeses, but the results are not the same gooey goodness.

It's true, and those meals are what I grew up on from my mom's cooking and I loved it. As an adult I substitute different cheeses, but the results are not the same gooey goodness.
As an adult, I still love it, but only use it now for potluck suppers or big family meals or superbowl hot cheese dip, etc. So good, but so bad for you...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
as an adult have avoided it like the plague...and that goes for Limburger, too,
Same on both counts.
🤣
I prefer real food, but draw the line at anything that smells strongly, whether it be Limburger cheese, durian, or fish sauce. A burger is 'safe.' (Well, a vegetarian one...no doubt not included in this contest!)

I call it Duct tape and think it was originally designed to be used for "duct work", both in construction and repairs...Duck tape I believe was a spin off and sounds nearly the same.
As a native to the West side of Cleveland I am obliged to call it by its proper name, Duck. Everything else is a weak imposter.

Now, back to burgers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Same on both counts.
🤣
I prefer real food, but draw the line at anything that smells strongly, whether it be Limburger cheese, durian, or fish sauce. A burger is 'safe.' (Well, a vegetarian one...no doubt not included in this contest!)
I dislike fish sauce and probably durian, too, if I'd ever had it. I do love "veggie" burgers and order them on occasion; the black bean burgers are great, as well.

€149,-
Thank you, Janet! I, too, have known this kind of cheese product since childhood but under different names. I rarely buy it these days. I have learnt today that it was introduced on the markets by Kraft Foods in 1950.

These days, I know it mainly as an ingredient in this kind of popular food:

View attachment 164048
In particular Le Puy walkers may have encountered it. :cool:

The famous ZIZ cheese. Where you cannot taste the difference with or without the plastic around the slice.

I see Pim Pam Burger is still operating in Barcelona.
Small place in El Born barrio.
I liked it all the times I was visiting.

Have had really great burgers in 2 places.
In El Burger Ranero, La Costa del Adobe and in Ponferrada at Jaleo, right down the street from Albergue Guiana. Both were outstanding.

I've eaten great burgers in Spain but I have to say that deep down they probably weren't that great and it was because I had just walked 35k + in heat with a pack and I was so hungry.

veggies and vegans probably need a spoiler alert and are probably planning to cancel the meat eaters or at the very least add them to ignore

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It usually says American Processed Cheese on the package. It has an emulisier in it which makes it melty.

In the US, low income families used to be able to pick up extra commodities that were purchased by the government as stockpile in support of some farmers. Dry powdered milk and big blocks of American cheese were part of that. Also sometimes honey or peanut butter and maybe a few other things.

In Spain, there are still a few 1kg bags left of 'Lentejas Asistencia Social', lentils provided some years ago for low income families and claimants. I was gifted some when starting up an albergue in Zamora province. They needed much more soaking than normal but were fine.

If I want a burger I'll go to the tavern next door. I'm not going to travel 3500 miles to eat burgers. There are too many other foods to enjoy.

Good for you!
Let us not forget that this competition is first of all for the Spaniards themselves and a good way for restaurants to promote their name and menu.
The fact that we pilgrims may or may not like to eat a hamburger when in Spain is less important.

I had an amazing burger with lettuce, tomato, and caramelized onion in Estella one year. Every other burger that I've had in Spain has been a disappointment.
Same! I never sought out a hamburger in Spain, but a German friend and I walked into a terraza upon arriving in Estella (just to the left after crossing over a bridge - don't remember the name), looking for a cold caña. The place was packed with all tables full, but a couple of American ladies from Georgia invited us to share their table. They had each ordered a hamburguesa, and when the food arrived the burgers were so massive that they decided to share one and gave the other to my friend and me. It was as large as the one in Flog's photo above! Quite delicious, too...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sara Bar & Café in Baamonde, next to the albergue, had pretty good burgers, as I recall.
My current favorite is Hamburgueseria Chipper in Astillero. It's a little off the Norte, not really worth a special detour, but if you're in the neighborhood...

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_190354.jpg
    IMG_20231125_190354.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
Same! I never sought out a hamburger in Spain, but a German friend and I walked into a terraza upon arriving in Estella (just to the left after crossing over a bridge - don't remember the name
Yes, that was the place!
I recommended it to others for dinner that evening, but unfortunately hamburguesas we're not on the evening menu.

I remember ordering 2 cheeseburgers in Finisterre, thinking they would be the size of a McDonalds cheeseburger. Each one was the size of a plate! 😅 Pretty tasty, too. I gave one away.

I like trying all foods abroad, including ones that might seem familiar from home, for contrast. The best burger I’ve ever had was in Paris; here is the restaurant for anyone whose Camino passes through there. The bread was superior, and I loved their take on American cheese, “creme de cheddar fondu” - all the messy gooiness of American cheese but made by melting real cheddar with cream and white wine. Superb quality and zero plastic, lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember ordering 2 cheeseburgers in Finisterre, thinking they would be the size of a McDonalds cheeseburger. Each one was the size of a plate! 😅 Pretty tasty, too. I gave one away.

I like trying all foods abroad, including ones that might seem familiar from home, for contrast. The best burger I’ve ever had was in Paris; here is the restaurant for anyone whose Camino passes through there. The bread was superior, and I loved their take on American cheese, “creme de cheddar fondu” - all the messy gooiness of American cheese but made by melting real cheddar with cream and white wine. Superb quality and zero plastic, lol

Oh " le bleu " for me please.

veggies and vegans probably need a spoiler alert and are probably planning to cancel the meat eaters or at the very least add them to ignore
Actually, I'm amused by the evidence of mass addiction to food porn, albeit junk food porn. I've never eaten a burger -- not even a veggie burger -- and the lurid descriptions and photographic evidence of grease, offal, slimy cheese and limp lettuce extruding from pappy baps won't persuade me to abandon the habit of a lifetime. Each to their own!

Last edited:
If we are adding to the best burger ever on the Camino, then I have to give a huge shout out to Hamburgueseria Isla in Burgos. If you exit the Arco de Santa Maria (towards the river) and take a right, it is several blocks down. We were in Burgos for 3 nights and walked by this place numerous times before it was finally open at a time we were hungry enough to tackle one. So worth the wait.

20140923_130929.jpg20140923_131558.jpg
Buen Provecho!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Okay, stop the presses!! I’ve found it. The best burger on the Camino Frances. 🍔 worth a repeat. I booked a private room here, 1) because I was in need of some well deserved rest and 2) because the description said they serve burgers. The host was very generous too when I asked for a small fan for my room. He brought me an industrial size. 🤣 Buen Camino!
Molinaseca - August 5, 2019
Unfortunately, by searching I see this establishment is permanently closed. :-(

IMG_4274.jpegIMG_4740.jpegIMG_4277.jpeg

Last edited:
grease, offal, slimy cheese and limp lettuce extruding from pappy baps

You say that like it’s a bad thing!

TBH that’s what I tend to think when confronted by any ‘regional speciality’, which usually turns out to be what the impoverished locals of years gone by survived on rather than aspired to.

I’d prefer to have whatever the person riding the horse ate, not the people cleaning up afterwards.

(HtD: from a long line of horse-sh*t shifters)

I acknowledge that burgers are sold in most every country, I just personally don't choose to order one when visiting Spain or other countries.
I have absolutely no "beef" (pun intended) against the contest or anyone else ordering burgers...all good and I'm sire most are quite yummy! 🙂

View attachment 163992
View attachment 163993
Another diversion--if you happen to be doing the "Full Portuguese" from Lisboa, and are spending a day or two sightseeing before/after your caminho--this is one of the very best hamburgers I've ever tasted--speaking as a North American who's eaten a lot of burgers over the years--and now rarely eats them, unless they're unusually good.

This is the cafe out at Belem, in the modern art gallery there--

The restaurant is called Oeste Este (West East) and it also serves sushi, so a bit of an outlier in many ways, but their food is excellent, the location (looking down on the Tejo) is wonderful, and their teriyaki burger, in my several visits there, incredibly good!

p.s. If you have any interest in modern art, be sure to take in the Museum of Contemporary Art in the same complex in Belem--it's a real journey through 20th century art, with images/international artists that are instantly recognizable. I think a lot of visitors to Belem don't realize it's there!

Last edited:
Does "American cheese" stand for heavily processed cheese? I am really just curious.

When I googled it just now one of the first search results had the title "Is American cheese technically cheese?" :cool:
Given that 'spray cheese' is a thing in the USA, it might be deemed a fair question..
The famous ZIZ cheese. Where you cannot taste the difference with or without the plastic around the slice.
😂 we ate that here too, as kids. I'm sure it's still on the go!

Given that 'spray cheese' is a thing in the USA, it might be deemed a fair question..

😂 we ate that here too, as kids. I'm sure it's still on the go!
Every US kid (and a lot of adults) loves Cheese Whiz or its equivalent. Who doesn't love something cheesy which comes shooting out of a can into your mouth when Mom isn't looking? Same with whipped topping in a can...way more fun than a dollop from a spoon.

Its way too time consuming to peel the plastic off of the cheese. I just buy the Deluxe Cheese which is a big stack of American slices which you also peel off and eat when Mom isn't looking...

I acknowledge that burgers are sold in most every country, I just personally don't choose to order one when visiting Spain or other countries.
I have absolutely no "beef" (pun intended) against the contest or anyone else ordering burgers...all good and I'm sire most are quite yummy! 🙂
I too stick with the traditional Camino goodies however, I do get to craving a burger and so I’ll indulge usually just once along the way. Same with pizza. Oh, oh …..

Hmmm. Nobody told me that being a vegetarian means I have to block any mention of meat and hate meat eaters.
Now I'm confused. 🫢o_O🙃😉

The famous ZIZ cheese. Where you cannot taste the difference with or without the plastic around the slice
LOL....

Every US kid (and a lot of adults) loves Cheese Whiz or its equivalent. Who doesn't love something cheesy which comes shooting out of a can into your mouth when Mom isn't looking?
Haha. But. Please speak for yourself and not the rest of us, Janet. As a kid I refused to even taste that stuff. I will concede that it's effective as a weapon against siblings, but that's another story.
😇
Same with whipped topping in a can...way more fun than a dollop from a spoon.
But...nobody gets to like the beaters or the bowl. 😢 Much less fun, except (like the fake cheese stuff) as a weapon and for scaring the dog. It tastes awful, too.

Hmmm. Nobody told me that being a vegetarian means I have to block any mention of meat and hate meat eaters.
Now I'm confused. 🫢o_O🙃😉

LOL....

Haha. But. Please speak for yourself and not the rest of us, Janet. As a kid I refused to even taste that stuff. I will concede that it's effective as a weapon against siblings, but that's another story.
😇

But...nobody gets to like the beaters or the bowl. 😢 Much less fun, except (like the fake cheese stuff) as a weapon and for scaring the dog. It tastes awful, too.
My tastes obviously need refinement, but I would never waste cheese in a can on my brother or the family pet. I reserve silly string for that...

never waste cheese in a can
Cheese in a can ?????

(I have already googled it. Did cheese in a can ever make it over the pond to Spain or anywhere else near me I wonder. Anyone? Never seen it or heard of it. Apparently also commonly known as spray cheese, squirt cheese and EasyCheese. Wikipedia has a fascinating article about what it is made of, including physical structure, viscosity, and flow properties. Apparently it shows pseudoplastic behaviors during extrusion.)

Would it be squirted onto a price winning hamburguesa? :cool:

Last edited:
Then only burgers I eat are ones I have made myself as then I know what is in them! In any case, I cannot imagine wanting to eat a burger in Spain when there is fantastic Spanish food to eat.

Cheese in a can ?????

(I have already googled it. Did cheese in a can ever make it over the pond to Spain or anywhere else near me I wonder. Anyone? Never seen it or heard of it. Apparently also commonly known as spray cheese, squirt cheese and EasyCheese. Wikipedia has a fascinating article about what it is made of, including physical structure, viscosity, and flow properties. Apparently it shows pseudoplastic behaviors during extrusion.)

For the refined, it is put on crackers or celery sticks. For the unrefined, just squirt it in your mouth when no one is looking or in @VNwalking 's case squirt it at your sibling.

I can see it on a burger in a pinch, but not usually. Maybe if you are camping if you ran out of cheese slices and the nearest store was too far away? It doesn't have the same melty consistency.

Cheese in a can ?????

Ugh!! I feel sick!! That just looks awful!!

Cheese in a can ?????

Would/does the EU allow it in Europe? I know they have banned a few foods from USA.

€46,-
Yes, this does not resemble real food.
"Better living through chemistry."
🤣

More E-numbers than classic ingredients most likely.

Tonight crackers and Orval cheese here on the menu. No spray.

Would/does the EU allow it in Europe? I know they have banned a few foods from USA.
First of all, let us not denigrate other country's culinary achievements. 😊

As far as I can tell cheese in a can ("Easy Cheese") is not on the market over here, and perhaps never was; in any case I had never heard of it before. This may have been a marketing decision or a question of market acceptance.

There are products widely available in supermarkets in my EU home country that I miss terribly and they are simply not on the market in some of the neighbouring EU countries. It is a mystery to me as to why they are not available.

I am fine with the failure to adopt cheese in a can in the EU. I guess if you think about it too hard, it could seem unappetizing(, but it still tastes good). I can get it at home and usually just now buy it only if the grandkids are coming to visit (because it will be something fun their parents won't buy.) Another grandkid favorite that is similar, but not as fun to use is nacho cheese sauce in a can served with tortilla chips. Easier than making your own as you open the top of the can and just heat it up in a pan or crockpot, but also usually made with the ubiquitous American Cheese with some hot peppers to make it spicy. There is a more taxing to make version where you just melt an entire hunk of Velveeta Cheese (or store brand knockoff cheese loaf) with a can of Rotelle Tomatoes (tomatoes canned with spicy peppers) in a crockpot. There are mainly things you eat on New Years eve or have for a Super Bowl party and not something you make or eat every day.

Spain has it's own not very good for you stuff like Patatas Bravas (so good, but so bad for you...), embutidos (also not all that good for you, but very popular), Basque cheesecake (made mostly of fat and sugar and extremely popular). Their hamburgesas are usually quite decadent without the addition of canned cheese or American Cheese. Everything in moderation. I am seeing more and more convenience foods in the grocery stores in Spain.

Best of luck to those involved in the hamburger competition!

Last edited:
Have had really great burgers in 2 places.
In El Burger Ranero….
😂 burgers on the brain!

As I live in Texas I can have great burgers at any time. I hadn’t thought much about having one on Camino, but I will put it on the list for next time.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.