• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Competition for the best hamburger in Spain

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Some of the entries.

Malaga

Aviles

Almeria

Santiago de Compostela with restaurant Singulario.
Maybe they should have categories like small, medium, large or lightweight/heavyweight? Looks like a lot of large and maybe heavyweight?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First burger and beer in Zubiri. Then the restaurant in Ages that had ten different burgers. There were 8 of us and we chowed down on a variety of these.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Oh goodness I wanted a hamburger my first day on the Camino but didn’t get on until Pamplona and I was terrible but I savored every bite. I never ate a hamburger in Spain after that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While I realize that Spain is not known for its great hamburgers and while these days I don't eat hamburgers at home very often and have over the years eaten a lot of burgers, some good, some bad and some great in many places and countries but sometimes while walking the Camino I'm really jonesing for a hamburger and a cold beer, especially after finishing 20-30 kms. I've eaten several there and while none were great they all did the job. Sort of like that old Jimmy Buffet song, Cheeseburger in Paradise.

While I realize that Spain is not known for its great hamburgers and while these days I don't eat hamburgers at home very often and have over the years eaten a lot of burgers, some good, some bad and some great in many places and countries but sometimes while walking the Camino I'm really jonesing for a hamburger and a cold beer, especially after finishing 20-30 kms. I've eaten several there and while none were great they all did the job. Sort of like that old Jimmy Buffet song, Cheeseburger in Paradise.
Well I have just woken up and with the regard to the old adage ‘you should try and learn three new things everyday’, I have already learnt there is a word known as ‘jonesing’ and even more interesting a song called ‘cheeseburger in paradise’! Two down, one to go!

A hamburger "is a standard item in many fast food chains, but is increasingly finding its way into traditional and even upmarket restaurants".

Mass produced fast food hamburgers of the McDonald's kind are not what the competition for the best hamburger in Spain is about.

It would not have occurred to me to eat in a McDonald's in Spain but the tiny hamburger tapas in La Quinta del Monje in Burgos were irresistible. At home I also order a hamburger / burger in a proper restaurant from time to time. The main meat ingredient - a ground beef patty - has been standard fare in kitchens in Europe for ages although I usually know it as a mixture of beef and pork.
I seldom eat red meat and agree that McDonald’s will not ever be considered for best hamburger, but I worked at McDonald’s as a kid and so I try McDonald’s in every country I visit. Having worked for an airline for 19 years I’ve been to a few. There’s that thought that McDonald’s is the same wherever you go however only once has it tasted the same as the United States.
Ironically it was years ago I was walking into Burgos. This was before the river route was as established as it is now and a local sent me the concrete jungle way into town. There’s a McDonalds at the edge of Burgos I stopped at that the burger tasted exactly the same as the US (For the first time ever). And it was absolutely delicious!!!
Just goes to show that familiarity and fatigue can play a part in how good something seems.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A little bit of a diversion. I am currently staying with a friend in Wales while my house is seriously renovated. A pub in the village offers a massive hamburger - 4 4oz patties plus bacon and cheese on a bun. Not exactly haute cuisine but very satisfying after a day of lugging furniture in and out of a van! :)

View attachment 163992
View attachment 163993
The creaking noise you can hear is my arteries hardening as I look at the pic

The creaking noise you can hear is my arteries hardening as I look at the pic
I can believe it. I had just spent a week packing up and transporting a house full of furniture and other junk into long term storage. Had built up quite an appetite. It wouldn't be my first choice every day but it worked well then!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I seldom eat red meat and agree that McDonald’s will not ever be considered for best hamburger, but I worked at McDonald’s as a kid and so I try McDonald’s in every country I visit. Having worked for an airline for 19 years I’ve been to a few. There’s that thought that McDonald’s is the same wherever you go however only once has it tasted the same as the United States.
Ironically it was years ago I was walking into Burgos. This was before the river route was as established as it is now and a local sent me the concrete jungle way into town. There’s a McDonalds at the edge of Burgos I stopped at that the burger tasted exactly the same as the US (For the first time ever). And it was absolutely delicious!!!
Just goes to show that familiarity and fatigue can play a part in how good something seems.
I stopped and ate at that one, too. :D
I was starving. All I had for breakfast that morning was the usual nutritionally flimsy coffee and toast and later a protein bar are the area of the military reservation up on the hill before you walk down into the city. I got the typical combo meal with fries and a coke. Scarfed it down and happily marched across Burgos with renewed energy from the grease and fat and sugar and stayed at the big municipal.
As the old saying goes, hunger is the best sauce.

Well the votes have been cast and counted, and if you want the best burger on the Camino you’ll have to get to walking the Camino da Geira. Make time to eat in A Estrada.

This is maybe not the most compelling reason to walk the Geira, but I would definitely try to get there if I walk again. :p But if past is prologue, the business at the winning places increases to the breaking point, so I imagine you will have to stand on line to enjoy this burger. There’s a very nice pedestrian street in A Estrada, with lots of tapas bars, but this place is not on it. But it is very close to the square where the ayuntamiento has a pilgrim statue, which was masked when I walked by.

I’ll bet the lines will be a lot shorter at the three places in Santiago that were in the competition — Singulario, Sume and Sabroso. Sume is right on Rua Franco, while the other two are closer to the Plaza Roja and the modern commercial area. Maybe forum members can weigh in on those option!

Attachments

• IMG_1823.png
    IMG_1823.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1822.png
    IMG_1822.png
    12.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1821.png
    IMG_1821.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5764.jpeg
    IMG_5764.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.