• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Santiago de Compostela to Andalusia.

Sharni

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: April/May 2011
Camino Norte/Vadiniense/Frances: April/May 2013
Camino Frances: April/May 2016
Hi Folks, my partner and I would like to spend some time in Seville/Granada/Malaga/Ronda/Cordoba after our Camino Portugues.
1) We are looking for recommendations for the best way to get from SdC to Andalusia.
2) Which town would be the best/most convenient one to arrive into first?
3) Also looking for any itinerary recommendations for that region and cheapest ways to get around….we will be on a fairly tight budget.
4) Accommodation recommendations would also be fantastic!!
We will have 5 full days and a travel day either side.
We will need to factor in that we will be leaving for Edinburgh from one of those places as well. :) Many thanks in advance for your recommendations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps a travel agent would be better placed to answer such post-camino travel questions, and help with any arrangements, if you are not confident of doing this yourself. Having visited just three of the cities over seven days, I think you would be hard pushed to accomplish what you are suggesting without some expert assistance.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps a travel agent would be better placed to answer such post-camino travel questions, and help with an arrangements, if you are not confident of doing this yourself. Having visited just three of the cities over seven days, I think you would be hard pushed to accomplish what you are suggesting without some expert assistance.
I agree … there is a lot of travelling time involved if you want to get to all these destinations. Probably best to visit some of them another time or possibly on a future camino ?

There are direct flights from Santiago to both Malaga and Seville (Ryanair and Vueling). There are also direct flights to Edinburgh from either of those cities
My choice would be a quick flight from sdc (on either airline mentioned by Bradypus. ) direct to Sevilla and decide down there just where you’d like to go from there. There are (reasonably timed ) trains from Sevilla to Córdoba and from Córdoba to Malaga but I haven’t checked departure times etc. You may not have a lot of choice . I have bussed about those places before (except Malaga ) and busses take longer on those connections IMO.

Check it out with your travel agent as @dougfitz suggests .

Also Bradypus has also mentioned that you can fly home from Malaga.

Good luck with planning.

Totally dependent upon how much time you have to vacation in Spain, but I wouldn’t rush those cities simply to see them all. In fact, I’ve found that most Spanish cities improve with a leisurely pace and the longer I stay. Time of year also matters due to tourist crowds, the heat, festivals, swimming, and on and on.

As for transportation, trains in Spain generally go to/from Madrid, so you can go SdC-Madrid-Sevilla pretty easily. I prefer the train over planes and have found that it isn’t that much longer of a journey when you add in the time spent traveling to/from airports and having to show up early for flights. BlaBlaCar is also a great alternative if you don’t mind not knowing too far in advance how you will be traveling.

Finally, if you plan to end up in Grenada, but your Alhambra ticket as far in advance as possible.

Finally, if you plan to end up in Grenada, but your Alhambra ticket as far in advance as possible.
This is a good point. My wife and I visited earlier this year, and booked nine days beforehand. People who were just turning up weren't able to get tickets. You might want to check the booking site to see how far in advance they are currently sold out to give you some idea about how far in advance you need to book.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Definately SDC to Sevilla (2nd choice Malaga). Lots of cheap flights and very quick. I prefer the train but it is likely to cost a fair bit more and take a lot longer. I like Renfe but my frustration is that so much hubs through Madrid!

Some great places there (and you can add Cadiz!) though seeing them all will be a challenge. Quite a good train system in that region though and excellent buses too.

You may want to base yourselves in SVQ and do day trips to Cadiz, Cordoba, Granada and so on. Will be long days but think doable. Look at ALSA for SVQ to Granada as the train takes just a long as goes the ‘long way round’. For example something like SVQ 0900 GND 1200 then return GND 1930 arr SVQ 2230 all for about €25 each.

Take the train to Cordoba and Cadiz, the MD trains not the fast ones. They take a little longer, but not too much and cost a lot less.

They are all fantastic places. Sevilla is so touristy it’s like Disneyland though!

Accommodation will be a a little pricey but try and stay a little outside the old town. It’s cheaper and less touristy. Cheapest place to stay will probably be Cordoba but not as well connected esp. since you are doing day trips, so I wouldn’t do that.

Sketch things out on rometorio website and play around on ALSA and Renfe sites for prices and timetable. Flixbus not really an option in the area I don’t think! Some good deals pricewise at mo and Alsa especially offers some good options on ‘start early, finish late’ day trips.

*I am not sure whether it is easier to fly from Seville or Malaga to Edinburgh. I think Malaga has been advised and it think that’s right. Plug your dates into skyscanner. There are a lot of airports ‘closeish’ to Edinburgh including Glasgow, Newcastle and even Leeds Bradford if you have issues. Then train or bus onwards to Edinburgh. Start your search on Spain to UK, then Seville to UK then Malaga to UK to see where you get to.

*I am not sure if you are from Edinburgh or just going there. If you a from there ignore my note re other airport as you will know that!

You are probably best buidling your trip around Granada given ‘The Alhambra’ is the must see site of your trip, and it gets booked up early. Be careful there are loads of proper looking websites that sell ‘official’ tickets. The tickets are fine but they charge a mark up. For proper face value go to

It’s based on time slot so I would do it later in the day to allow for bus delays / heat, maybe before you catch bus back or maybe or visit than dinner then bus. Take your ID too.

As other folks have said it’s quite a full on itinerary. That suits me but others less so so you need to think about that. Granada and Malaga will be the longest days and I guess Cadiz / Cordoba can be shorter days. You will be on trains/buses for 4-5 each day round trip so you can relax your limbs for sure. There are always good options to eat and drink near bus and rail stations in Spain so maybe have dinner and some vino pre your bus/train back and fall asleep (on the bus/train that is, not in the restaurant), Get back, sleep and wake up ready to roll the next day!

It’s a hard call though! I like to ‘crack on’ but my partner likes a more sedate approach. I have nicknamed her speedbump’ and ‘handbrake’ for slowing me down which may not be the right appproach!

Last edited:
I had a couple of days in Sevilla before my last Camino and joined a day tour to the Alhambra. While I don’t usually do the group tour thing I had limited time - and it was amazing. Our guide was incredibly well informed and the Alhambra was one of the absolute highlights of my whole stay in Spain.
Like a previous comment said, I think I would slow down, do a bit more research and pick two or maybe three places to immerse myself in. Let the experience get into your bones.
Another option might be to hire a car once you get to Andalusia?
Anyway enjoy, I love love love this part of Spain.
Buen flamenco 💃

Many thanks for all the replies. I will take the suggestions on board. I appreciate the advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Folks, my partner and I would like to spend some time in Seville/Granada/Malaga/Ronda/Cordoba after our Camino Portugues.
1) We are looking for recommendations for the best way to get from SdC to Andalusia.
2) Which town would be the best/most convenient one to arrive into first?
3) Also looking for any itinerary recommendations for that region and cheapest ways to get around….we will be on a fairly tight budget.
4) Accommodation recommendations would also be fantastic!!
We will have 5 full days and a travel day either side.
We will need to factor in that we will be leaving for Edinburgh from one of those places as well. :) Many thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Take for ex. Ryan air to Malaga or any other Andalucian town from Santiago de Compostela.
Check Booking com for accommodations . Buon Camino

I did a fair amount of travel after my Camino two years ago. Santiago-Bilbao-Toledo-Madrid-Seville-Cordoba-Granada-Barcelona. I booked trains from Madrid to Seville, Cordoba and Granada. I'd recommend booking all your train tickets at once, you can do that at any train station (I was having an issue with the app not working).

If you're planning on seeing Alhambra and I absolutely recommend you do, book your tickets now. Everything else you can just show up and get tickets for the day. Try to say in the "old town" in all your destinations because that's where everything is and it's nicer to walk about and enjoy the architecture. Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back