• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestion on the best way to travel from Santiago to Madrid

JoeF

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
t the end of my Camino I will need to travel to Madrid for my flight back home to Toronto and I have yet not finalized my return from Santiago to Madrid. Trying to get a train ticket is near impossible and the flight is very early morning. Can any of you offer suggestions on the best way to travel from Santiago to Madrid?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What’s the problem with the train ticket?

For an early flight out of Madrid, you’re going to have to travel the day before.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
t the end of my Camino I will need to travel to Madrid for my flight back home to Toronto and I have yet not finalized my return from Santiago to Madrid. Trying to get a train ticket is near impossible and the flight is very early morning. Can any of you offer suggestions on the best way to travel from Santiago to Madrid?
What date?

On my three visits to Santiago, I left by train and never had any issues getting a ticket. If your flight is very early, you may have to take the evening train the night before.

I'm not sure what date you are looking for, but Renfe does not open up the train schedule too far in advance. I usually start looking just 2-3 weeks before my travel date.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my three visits to Santiago, I left by train and never had any issues getting a ticket. If your flight is very early, you may have to take the evening train the night before.

I'm not sure what date you are looking for, but Renfe does not open up the train schedule too far in advance. I usually start looking just 2-3 weeks before my travel date.
Thanks for that piece of info. If tickets are available just 2-3 weeks in advance then that probably explains why I cannot get a ticket. If that is so, then I will have to do my booking while on my camino.

If tickets are available just 2-3 weeks in advance then that probably explains why I cannot get a ticket. If that is so, then I will have to do my booking while on my camino.
They should be available farther out than that. Just keep an eye on it because the earlier you buy the ticket the less expensive it usually is.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What’s the problem with the train ticket?

For an early flight out of Madrid, you’re going to have to travel the day before.
Not able to get a ticket. I see on some of the responses now that I may have to do it just about 3 wks in advance. The booking is to arrive Madrid 3rd Oct

Use the train from SdeC to Madrid.
There are several sites for purchasing tickets. If you fail on one, go to another.
I got stuck with Covid and couldn't travel home until I tested negative. Once I did, I hurriedly searched for a train ticket. Found one on my third site. 10 minutes later there were none on that site either.
So...if possible...book at least a week ahead!

Thanks for that piece of info. If tickets are available just 2-3 weeks in advance then that probably explains why I cannot get a ticket. If that is so, then I will have to do my booking while on my camino.
I just checked and right now tickets are available as far out as September 30th. Just keep checking, shouldn't be too much longer.
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got a flight on Iberia for $32! Leave early on an October morning, so am taking an evening flight the night before from Santiago to Madrid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In May, we were able to buy our tickets at the train station two days before leaving Santiago for Madrid. As I recall, one departure had sold out, but we had several good options to choose between.

If you are over 60 you are eligible for a Gold card which gives you major discounts on your rail ticket 25%-40%. Check https://www.renfe.com/es/es/viajar/prepara-tu-viaje/descuentos/mayores-de-60 It only costs €6 and is valid for a year. Buy it first at a station before buying a ticket online.
Also short haul flights, while they can be cheap, are bigger CO2 emitters per kilometre than long haul flights as most CO2 emissions are during take off and landing. I don’t mean to judge people, sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but if you have a choice, train travel is pleasant and gentler on the earth.

I always fly from SdC to my return hub to Toronto (usually Madrid or Lisbon). Iberia has decent pricing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanking each and everyone of you for your valuable suggestions. I ended booking a bus ticket from Santiago to Madrid through Omio. It cost me Euro 54.88. I will just need to find how to get to the ALSA bus station which should hopefully not be a problem. Bueon Camino for all those on the road. God Bless🙏

Thank you. I have been looking to travel from Santiago so as to arrive Madrid morning of 3rd October.
What we did was travel out of Santiago on Iberia the day before, stayed at a hotel with shuttle service to and from the terminal, and flew out back home the next day. The flight from Santiago to Madrid is just a little over an hour vs. by train which takes 5 to 6 hours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have traveled many times from Santiago to Madrid. I never buy a ticket far out. With about 2 weeks before my departure date back home from Madrid I check Iberian Express and Vueling for flights. I have 3 times bought airline tickets that were either cheaper or about the same price as the train. Once I flew from San Sebastian and it was cheaper by plane also. Only once was the train much cheaper. If you have an early morning flight I would book a hotel that has an airport shuttle that is very close to the airport. There are lots of them.

I have done this trip twice, both by daylight train. With the improved track and maybe the AVE or even the Media Distance trains you experience speeds over 200kmph, get to see a part of Spain the Camino bypassed. My only drawback is that you arrive at the station at the northern end of the city. It’s ok if you are heading for the airport, but if you have a night it two planned in Madrid, a city well worth the time, you have to take the metro. Cheers

From my experience I think I was able to book up to 60 days in advance. There is a small problem when RENFE changes from winter to Sumer timetable, then advanced bookings can be problematic. Cheers

I too am looking for transport from SDC to Madrid in October. Staying a few days in Madrid before flying back to USA. Trains - right now Renfe - is only posting schedule to 30 Sept, anticipate fare from 80 to 100 euros, taxi to train station, then metro to Madrid hotel (a few euros). Yes it looks like Iberia flight may be cheaper - however, I would have to pay for: a bag (don't judge), taxis (to and from airport) and get there 2 hours before flight. I have downloaded the Renfe app. Will check on train schedule before I depart USA or use the app once I get to Spain. Either way do the math and take what ever path works best for you.

I too, travelled home from Santiago to Madrid to Toronto and then Hfx. My flight was fairly early so I took the train the day before and stayed in a great hostel.The airport is a fair distance but def could get public transport early enough to get there, it appeared. However, I shared an Uber with two hostel guests. Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not able to get a ticket. I see on some of the responses now that I may have to do it just about 3 wks in advance. The booking is to arrive Madrid 3rd Oct
Just don’t forget and waltz into the station expecting to get a seat on that day’s train. Three years ago I did just that for the next day’s passage and got the last seat! Learned a good lesson then and there.

Fly! It’s cheap, quick and no hassle, based on my experience in June. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year when I needed to go from Santiago to Pamplona I could not get a train. So I did something I have never done in my whole life - a went to a travel agency in Santiago. After about 45 minutes I got a ticket. Don't know what the problem in. Renfe is usually very easy to use Good luck

I tried to get a train ticket a few days ahead of time, and prices were crazy by that point. (This was in June.) I ended up taking the bus, which was much cheaper. Long day in a bus (there was a stop), but it was only one day of my life. I survived.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back