• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Way to St Jean from US

BobMcCall

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I currently have a flight booked to Paris (De Gaulle Airport) from Philadelphia to get to St Jean de Pied du Port. For others that landed in Paris, where do you catch the train to go to St Jean? I’ve looked at a number of searches and I’m getting some contradictory info.

Thx!
Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Generally, you take the train to Bayonne, then another train to SJPdP. Other options from Paris can be the bus, plane, or BlaBla car. Or a train to Bordeaux, then to SJPdP. Or….

In short, sooooo many options. Check out Rome2Rio to see all the ways you can get there.

I currently have a flight booked to Paris (De Gaulle Airport) from Philadelphia to get to St Jean de Pied du Port. For others that landed in Paris, where do you catch the train to go to St Jean? I’ve looked at a number of searches and I’m getting some contradictory info.

Thx!
Bob

There is a TGV trainstation at Charles de Gaulle airport.
Train to Bordeaux etc...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thx!
Bob
It was recommended to me to catch the train from Montparnasse train station to SJPDP.
I’m going next April, leaving from the Lehigh Valley area by way of JFK.

In 2020 I flew to Paris from home. Then I flew down to Biarritz and stayed in a walking distance hotel for a night. Early the next morning I took a cab at like 530am into town and caught the train to SJPDP. The train was like 2km from the airport I think, but being the time of day in a new country I didn't want to chance it. Then I flew back from Santiago to Paris.

Here's the problem with asking for the "best" way to do something: people often respond without giving any context to their answers.

For example, the best way from CDG airport to SJPP for a retired couple may be sitting at CDG airport for six hours for one of the few trains that will connect them with the train to Bayonne. This strategy saves them an $80 taxi ride into Paris to grab a train at the Montparnasse train station (where there are frequent trains directly to Bayonne). But they do not qualify their answer with telling everyone they are on a fixed income with unlimited time, so sitting around CDG is no big deal to them.

Another example of out of context answers was a future pilgrim asking for the "best" way to get from Seattle to Paris. Someone responded, "We went through Milwaukie!" I found this answer to be strange given that (at the time) both Delta and Air France operated non-stop flights between Seattle and Paris. So, I sent this person a PM.

"Why would you suggest flying from Seattle to Paris through Milwaukie? That must have added 10 hours to your trip."
"Exactly! We have friends in Milwaukie, and we used the layover to visit with them at the airport."
"Don't you think you should have given that context to your answer?"
"Why?"
"Do you think the person asking the question on the Forum has friends in Milwaukie they would want to see?"
"Oh, I see your point."

So, the way I go from CDG to SJPP is as follows:

1. I take an $80 taxi ride from CDG to Gare Montparnasse train station in Paris.
2. I board a direct train to Bayonne (e.g., no switching trains in Bordeaux like the trains leaving CDG airport).
3. I take an $80 taxi ride from the Bayonne to SJPP.

Why? [The context]
1. I do not want to sit in CDG for hours waiting for an indirect train to Bayonne (e.g., one that forces me to change trains in Bordeaux).
2. Sitting in CDG with jet lag for hours is the equivalent of tourist waterboarding.
3. I am willing to pay $80 to walk off a plane, jump into a taxi, and walk out of the taxi onto a train leaving for Bayonne.
4. Finally, I use a $80 taxi from the Bayonne to SJPP (versus the local train) because I want to walk into and out of the Pilgrim's Office at SJPP in less than five minutes. If you take the local train, there is this mad dash to the Pilgrim's Office from the SJPP train station. And no matter how fast you walk, you will probably be standing in line at the Pilgrim's Office for a long time.
5. In the meantime, I am the person enjoying a cold adult beverage across the street.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thx!
Bob
Hi Bob
Train from Montparnasse Station in Paris to Bayonne then change to local train to SJPDP.
Buen Camino
Vince

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know you said you booked a flight to Paris, but I just want to put in my 2 cents. Having done the Camino over 20 times, I find it easiest to fly into Madrid or Pamplona, and take the bus from Pamplona. From the airport (T4) in Madrid you can catch an easy bus to Pamplona, spend a night or two recovering from the time change (I'm on the West Coast) and seeing Pamplona. Then when the whole world of pilgrims are stopping in Pamplona, you can either stop before or after (because you've seen it) and get "between the stages" and (to me) find lodgings easier. I did the trip from Paris once, and that was enough. I didn't enjoy the train ride, didn't enjoy the pickpockets, got stuck overnight in Bayonne, and never did that again.

Seattle - Reykjavik - Paris (CDG) - Bayonne - SJPP.
I took IcelandAir flight from Seattle through Rykevick then to Paris. Departure from Seattle was delayed for 5 hours so we missed the connecting flight to Paris which was okay since I was between jobs and had lots of time. I had to change my stay at airbnb in Paris which the owner was gracious enough to accommodate without fuss or extra cost. IcelandAir provided transport to hotel and meal vouchers for dinner and breakfast. It was fantastic to explore Reykjavik for 6 hours. Next morning we arrived at CDG and I took train to Gare du Nord, walked a few easy blocks to the airbnb, met the owner for key to the classic vintage Paris apartment. The next3 days I explored Paris from morning to night...it was awesome start to my CF. On the last day, I scouted out my route to Montparnasse as my train to Bayonne was at 7AM and I wanted to know how much time I need to get to my Bayonne train from Gare du Nord. At Bayonne, the train was cancelled but they put us on bus and taxis to SJPdP.

I walked the CF with no advance booking except the first night at Le Chemin Vers L'Etoile. In hindsight, based on my experience, I recommend calling in advance each day for the next night.

Next time, I'd fly to Madrid and take Anniesantiago's advice. Paris was fun but I also liked Madrid.

Here's the problem with asking for the "best" way to do something: people often respond without giving any context to their answers.

For example, the best way from CDG airport to SJPP for a retired couple may be sitting at CDG airport for six hours to save an $80 taxi ride into the Gare Montparnasse train station in Paris where you can board a non-stop train to Bayonne. But they do not qualify their answer with telling everyone they are on a fixed income with unlimited time.

A few years ago, a future pilgrim asked for the "best" way to get from Seattle to Paris. Someone responded with, "We went through Milwaukie!" I found this to be a strange answer given that at the time both Delta and Air France operated non-stop service between Seattle and Paris. So, I sent this person a PM.

"Why would you suggest flying from Seattle to Paris through Milwaukie? That must have added 10 hours to your trip."
"Exactly! We have friends in Milwaukie, and we used the layover to visit with them at the airport."
"Don't you think you should have given that context to your answer?"
"Why?"
"Do you think the person asking the question on the Forum has friends they want to see in Milwaukie?"
"Oh, I see your point."

So, the way I go from CDG to SJPP is as follows:

1. Take a $80 taxi ride from CDG to Gare Montparnasse train station in Paris.
2. Board a direct train to Bayonne (e.g., no switching trains in Bordeaux).
3. Take a $80 taxi ride from the Bayonne train station to SJPP.

Why? [The context]
1. I do not want to sit in CDG for hours waiting for an indirect train to Bayonne (e.g., one that forces me to change trains in Bordeaux).
2. Sitting in CDG with jet lag for hours waiting for a train is the equivalent of tourist waterboarding.
3. There are way more trains running from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne than CDG to Bayonne. This allows me to get out of the taxi at Gare Montparnasse and board a train for Bayonne within a few minutes. Once onboard, I set an alarm on my phone and go to sleep knowing that I do not have to wake up to change trains in Bordeaux.
4. Finally, I use a $80 taxi from the Bayonne train station to SJPP because I want to walk into and out of the Pilgrim's Office at SJPP in less than five minutes. If you take the local train from Bayonne to SJPP, there is this mad dash to the Pilgrim's Office where you will probably be standing in line for a long time.
Well said.

Yes, context is everything. So many poorly asked questions with non-sensical answers from people who "just wanna post".

(This is not a comment on the quality of Bob's question, but he has indeed gotten some worthless answers.)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Seattle - Reykjavik - Paris (CDG) - Bayonne - SJPP.
I took IcelandAir flight from Seattle through Rykevick then to Paris. Departure from Seattle was delayed for 5 hours so we missed the connecting flight to Paris which was okay since I was between jobs and had lots of time. I had to change my stay at airbnb in Paris which the owner was gracious enough to accommodate without fuss or extra cost. IcelandAir provided transport to hotel and meal vouchers for dinner and breakfast. It was fantastic to explore Reykjavik for 6 hours. Next morning we arrived at CDG and I took train to Gare du Nord, walked a few easy blocks to the airbnb, met the owner for key to the classic vintage Paris apartment. The next3 days I explored Paris from morning to night...it was awesome start to my CF. On the last day, I scouted out my route to Montparnasse as my train to Bayonne was at 7AM and I wanted to know how much time I need to get to my Bayonne train from Gare du Nord. At Bayonne, the train was cancelled but they put us on bus and taxis to SJPdP.

I walked the CF with no advance booking except the first night at Le Chemin Vers L'Etoile. In hindsight, based on my experience, I recommend calling in advance each day for the next night.

Next time, I'd fly to Madrid and take Anniesantiago's advice. Paris was fun but I also liked Madrid.
Thx!

I know you said you booked a flight to Paris, but I just want to put in my 2 cents. Having done the Camino over 20 times, I find it easiest to fly into Madrid or Pamplona, and take the bus from Pamplona. From the airport (T4) in Madrid you can catch an easy bus to Pamplona, spend a night or two recovering from the time change (I'm on the West Coast) and seeing Pamplona. Then when the whole world of pilgrims are stopping in Pamplona, you can either stop before or after (because you've seen it) and get "between the stages" and (to me) find lodgings easier. I did the trip from Paris once, and that was enough. I didn't enjoy the train ride, didn't enjoy the pickpockets, got stuck overnight in Bayonne, and never did that again.
I love all of this advice. This is why my planning starts now. I can listen to the experienced pilgrims like you and craft all sorts of scenarios before picking one. Thanks for posting this!

In 2017 we flew through Madrid and flew on to Biarritz. Then shared cab/van from Biarritz airport to SJPP. It was quite easy. We figured we would rather fly as far as we could instead of fly-cab-train-train.
It worked out well and airfare wasn’t bad. We flew home out of Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Or imagine NOT starting in SJPdP and instead walking from some place a bit easier to get to!!!! 🤯. Walk from Pamplona, or Bayonne, or…what the heck…Paris! 😵. My point is, and it’s been said time and again here but new pilgrims seem to miss it, there is nothing that special about starting from SJPdP versus any other dozen cities in Spain and France.

Hi Bob
If you are in or around Philly you are in my backyard
I flew to CDG then took RER-B into town
The closest stop to Gare Montparnasse is
Denfert Rochearau
Technically you can walk from there or take Metro Ligne 4
Train to SJPdP through Bayonne like others mentioned
Good luck and Buen Camino

Hi Bob
If you are in or around Philly you are in my backyard
I flew to CDG then took RER-B into town
The closest stop to Gare Montparnasse is
Denfert Rochearau
Technically you can walk from there or take Metro Ligne 4
Train to SJPdP through Bayonne like others mentioned
Good luck and Buen Camino
Same backyard here - Lehigh Valley. Is there a functioning American Pilgrims chapter around here? (sorry. off topic.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Or imagine NOT starting in SJPdP and instead walking from some place a bit easier to get to!!!! 🤯. Walk from Pamplona, or Bayonne, or…what the heck…Paris! 😵. My point is, and it’s been said time and again here but new pilgrims seem to miss it, there is nothing that special about starting from SJPdP versus any other dozen cities in Spain and France.
Good idea! As this is the first time I’ve tried this, I was just going to go the way most people go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just did this on May 1. I booked a train ticket from Montparnasse to St Jean Pied de Port before I left home. That journey took me from Montparnasse to Dax (stop no train change) and then on to Bayonne where I switched trains to SJPDP. This one booking booked my train all the way through from Paris to SJPDP and I just had to worry about getting to Montparnasse from CDG. I thought about the taxi but that was way too expensive so I took the metro trains.

This is what I did:

At the airport, follow the Baggage-Exit signage then indications for Trains RER B. Take the RER Line B to Denfert-Rochereau (all trains call at Denfert-Rochereau). At Denfert-Rochereau, change for the Metro line 6 (Direction Charles de Gaulle-Étoile) until station Montparnasse-Bienvenüe.

I think that was less than 10 euro.

There are a couple train changes in here and that worried me a little, especially in the Paris metro, but it turned out really simple. The train change in Bayonne was a non issue. There were tons of us doing it and that’s a small station. Just give yourself enough time in Paris in case you miss a train but those trains are constant so you wouldn’t get stranded. You just might have to wait for another. But, like I said, it was pretty simple and I breezed right through it and it saved me a ton of money.

Good luck!

I have not done any Camino yet, but have looked at the best way to get to SJPDP. You may be able to modify your booking to fly into Biarritz from CDG. From there, you can get a shared shuttle to SJPP, or get a bus to Bayonne where you can get a train to SJPP. The train from Paris to Bayonne will probably take you a much longer time and may add a night's hotel to your overall cost. Just another option to look into.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Am I missing something?

Why not catch the TGV High speed train from CDG Terminal 2? This goes to Bayonne. Then it’s a local train to SJPdP?

Or, if you’re lazy like me, wanting to avoid a long train ride pay the 150euro to fly to Biarritz. Then train it to the next stop Bayonne… then SJPdP. Sure it’s an extra 50-80 euro, but if timed right you avoid train meals and extra dodgy hotels.

or if you have bad luck, like me in 18, the train breaks down and you get a real dodgy free hotel. 🤨

I just did this on May 1. I booked a train ticket from Montparnasse to St Jean Pied de Port before I left home. That journey took me from Montparnasse to Dax (stop no train change) and then on to Bayonne where I switched trains to SJPDP. This one booking booked my train all the way through from Paris to SJPDP and I just had to worry about getting to Montparnasse from CDG. I thought about the taxi but that was way too expensive so I took the metro trains.

This is what I did:

At the airport, follow the Baggage-Exit signage then indications for Trains RER B. Take the RER Line B to Denfert-Rochereau (all trains call at Denfert-Rochereau). At Denfert-Rochereau, change for the Metro line 6 (Direction Charles de Gaulle-Étoile) until station Montparnasse-Bienvenüe.

I think that was less than 10 euro.

There are a couple train changes in here and that worried me a little, especially in the Paris metro, but it turned out really simple. The train change in Bayonne was a non issue. There were tons of us doing it and that’s a small station. Just give yourself enough time in Paris in case you miss a train but those trains are constant so you wouldn’t get stranded. You just might have to wait for another. But, like I said, it was pretty simple and I breezed right through it and it saved me a ton of money.

Good luck!
What was the cost of the train from Montparnasse?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did look into leaving from CDG but the departures were limited and I would have had to wait until the next day to leave. Many more options from Montparnasse.

Am I missing something?

Why not catch the TGV High speed train from CDG Terminal 2? This goes to Bayonne. Then it’s a local train to SJPdP?

Yes, you can stay at CDG airport and wait for a train that will take you to Bordeaux where you are forced to switch trains to Bayonne. But the trains to Bordeaux from CDG are few and far between. On some days, there are only three of these trains: 8 am, 4 pm, and 6 pm.

That means if you land after 7 am at CDG, you are going to have to wait until 4 pm to begin your journey. Sitting around CDG for seven hours with jet lag? No thank you.

The solution? Take an $85 taxi ride into Paris to the Gare Montparnasse train station and hop on a direct train to Bayonne (e.g., no changing trains at Bordeaux).

I can be in SJPP sipping on an adult beverage while someone else is still sitting at CDG waiting for the 4 pm train to Bayonne.

But the person sitting at CDG did save $85. So, there is that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, you can stay at CDG airport and wait for a train that will take you to Bordeaux where you are forced to switch trains to Bayonne. But the trains to Bordeaux from CDG are few and far between. On some days, there are only three of these trains: 8 am, 4 pm, and 6 pm.

That means if you land after 7 am at CDG, you are going to have to wait until 4 pm to begin your journey. Sitting around CDG for seven hours with jet lag? No thank you.

The solution? Take an $85 taxi ride into Paris to the Gare Montparnasse train station and hop on a direct train to Bayonne (e.g., no changing trains at Bordeaux).

I can be in SJPP sipping on an adult beverage while someone else is still sitting at CDG waiting for the 4 pm train to Bayonne.

But the person sitting at CDG did save $85. So, there is that.
Is the advantage for Montparnasse cost or timetable or both?

Is the advantage for Montparnasse cost or timetable or both?

The ticket prices are roughly the same, but far more trains leave for Bayonne from Gare Montparnasse than CDG. And the departure times are way more convenient. Unless you are on fixed income and enjoy sitting at an airport for five or six hours doing nothing while suffering from jet lag, I suggest springing for the $85 taxi ride to Gare Montparnasse.

I would much rather be sitting in a bar in SJPP at 4 pm than sitting at CDG waiting to board a train. Yes, there is price tag of $85 associated with that convenience, but for me, it is well worth it.

Last edited:
The ticket prices are roughly the same, but far more trains leave for Bayonne from Gare Montparnasse than CDG. And the departure times are way more convenient. Unless you are on fixed income and enjoy sitting at an airport for five or six hours doing nothing while suffering from jet lag, I suggest springing for the $85 taxi ride to Gare Montparnasse.

I would much rather be sitting in a bar in SJPP at 4 pm than sitting at CDG waiting to board a train. Yes, there is price tag of $85 associated with that convenience, but for me, it is well worth it.
I think I will follow your line of thinking. It will afford a bit more flexibility. I’ll just factor the $85 into my budget. Sounds like it will be worth it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes,the taxi will get you there faster. The metro takes about an hour where the taxi is probably 25-35 minutes. But the metro is only 10-11 euro.

Absolutely!
That’s going to be my plan next April.
Edit: I will probably spend a night in Paris after my flight in from JFK airport in NYC.
If you haven't been to Paris before (or recently) how about spending 2 or 3 nights there?
You will always get more than one opinion on the Paris vs Madrid question, so I'll be the contrarian to @Anniesantiago and say that I find the train from Montparnasse (after 2 - 3 nights in Paris) much easier
What was the cost of the train from Montparnasse?

It was $154 USD. That was the senior rate (I’m 60)
The first time I took that route it was around 65€. This year it was 105€.

And for those planning to walk the Norte - forget about getting to Irun. Take the train to Bayonne and start there or from Biarritz.

Thanks for the info, Anniesantiago! I’ll be doing my very first Camino next mid-April and I was thinking of flying to Madrid from Seattle and spending a day in Pamplona. The nice thing you added is to “skip” Pamplona from SJPP for reasons you’ve stated, i.e., stopping before or after Pamplona … I’ll do exactly that. Love it!!!

€149,-
Thanks for the info, Anniesantiago! I’ll be doing my very first Camino next mid-April and I was thinking of flying to Madrid from Seattle and spending a day in Pamplona. The nice thing you added is to “skip” Pamplona from SJPP for reasons you’ve stated, i.e., stopping before or after Pamplona … I’ll do exactly that. Love it!!!
Hey there! I'm starting next April as well (exact date as yet undetermined.) Perhaps we’ll run into each other along the way.

Rafael, we're in the same part of the woods. Am in Bellevue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As we say in New England, "Yah can't get therah from herah!"

For me it was EasyJet from CDG to Biarritz and Express Bourricot shuttle to St. Jean.

Everyone must find their own way. There are no easy or direct paths. It's part of the Camino experience.

-Paul

Same backyard here - Lehigh Valley. Is there a functioning American Pilgrims chapter around here? (sorry. off topic.)

I never heard of American Pilgrims until I read your question. I’m certainly going to look into it tho. Thx!

Yes there is a Philadelphia Chapter. We usually communicate on Meetup:
American Pilgrims on the Camino Philadelphia Chapter

One of the side benefits is that one of our members is Nadine (and she has been mentioned on this Forum, where she is also a Member) - an author of couple of Camino Books, a Blogger and YouTuber (NadineWalks)

So you gents come on over to this Side of the Lord :)

re: talking trains from CdG proper or go to Gare Montparnasse. My humble take on it
Je d'ADORE PARIS!!! 😍 I am not passing up to spend any time in the city no matter how little it may be...
... Hence - I fly to CdG, take RER-B into the City and spend the rest of the day doing 'whatever' (it also gives me a chance to reasonably acclimate to time change, although Thank GOD I do not suffer from jet lag... still...). I reserve accommodations (at your budget - there are hostels available if so desired) in the Gare Montparnasse area where I will blissfully spend the night and then saunder bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to the Station next morning and take the 10:xx train. If all is well that will put me into SJPdP mid\late-afternoon.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back