• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

beyond Santiago de Compostela

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Absolutely. The walk from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia was one of the highlights of my camino. It is a beautiful route and walking the last stretch into Finisterre on that long white beach was very special.

Last edited:
Where are you from Alfred? The reason I'm asking is because my wife and I are from Vancouver, BC, Canada. We see the ocean all the time. For that reason we decided not to continue on to Finisterre. It's three extra days of walking that, for us, probably wouldn't have been worth it. There's lots of tours from SdC by bus if you choose not to walk it but really want to see the ocean.

Ron

Is it worth it to continue past Santiago to muxia or fisterra?
Hi Alfred, I would like to extend my Camino journey to Fisterra too. And like Ron I live on Vancouver Island so I see the ocean daily. But I think it was just the whole experience of getting to 'the end of the world'. My friend spent a few days there a few years ago and she said it was the highlight of the Camino Journey for her. I'm enjoying the planning of my first Camino too. So much wonderful information on the forum. Buen Camino.

Hi Margaret,

You're 100% correct!
If it was the end of the world I'd be saying, "Alfred! Are you crazy? You have to see the end of the world!" But since we all know now that its not the end of the world I just wanted to save him a three day trip to see something that he may see all the time. :D

If you have three days to spare and you don't want to walk to Finisterre or Muxia, may I suggest exploring SdC? This city is so amazing! The sights, the sounds, the smells! We leave for home tomorrow and we'll have spent three days here. Not enough! We had a partial solar eclipse yesterday, we explored the Cathedral, attended Mass, we'll see the Botufumeiro ceremony today at noon, there's tons of museums, architecture.... and that's just old SdC!
Anyways, just my $0.02

Ron

Hi Margaret,

You're 100% correct!
If it was the end of the world I'd be saying, "Alfred! Are you crazy? You have to see the end of the world!" But since we all know now that its not the end of the world I just wanted to save him a three day trip to see something that he may see all the time. :D

If you have three days to spare and you don't want to walk to Finisterre or Muxia, may I suggest exploring SdC? This city is so amazing! The sights, the sounds, the smells! We leave for home tomorrow and we'll have spent three days here. Not enough! We had a partial solar eclipse yesterday, we explored the Cathedral, attended Mass, we'll see the Botufumeiro ceremony today at noon, there's tons of museums, architecture.... and that's just old SdC!
Anyways, just my $0.02

Ron[/QUO

Hey Ron, thanks for the great tips about SdC. I guess when I arrive I will check things out first before continuing to 'the end of the world' lol. Did you walk the whole way from St. Jean? How many days did it take? Safe journey going home.

Hey Ron, thanks for the great tips about SdC. I guess when I arrive I will check things out first before continuing to 'the end of the world' lol. Did you walk the whole way from St. Jean? How many days did it take? Safe journey going home.
Hi Margaret,

We couldn't get enough time off work to do the whole CF so we started in Leon. We actually started walking on my wife's 50th, oops, I mean 29th birthday. We had a great time and can you believe we've had no rain at all? None, zip, nada. It's been amazing weather!
We have friends on Vancouver Island that we see regularly. If you like, Michele and I could meet you for coffee and show you some pix!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Margaret,

We couldn't get enough time off work to do the whole CF so we started in Leon. We actually started walking on my wife's 50th, oops, I mean 29th birthday. We had a great time and can you believe we've had no rain at all? None, zip, nada. It's been amazing weather!
We have friends on Vancouver Island that we see regularly. If you like, Michele and I could meet you for coffee and show you some pix!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They're up in Comox. It'd be easy-peasy for us to swing by Parksville. When are you planning to start your Camino?

Is it worth it to continue past Santiago to muxia or fisterra?

Yes it is! Be sure to read other posts on this earlier Forum thread re walking to the sea.

Walking across the hills near Cee you can first glimpse the sea. Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. In the dark from their dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining out to sea it is magical. Next morning you can easily walk parallel to the beach out to that final lighthouse on the rocks.

There is no need for a special map for this route as it is EASY to follow the yellow arrows. However, the Eroski guide offers a good schematic on line . In Santiago the Galicia Tourist Office at 30 rua do Vilar near the cathedral provides an invaluable free multilingual list of ALL services on the path including accommodation, restaurants/bars, buses/taxis.

MM

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anyways, just my $0.02

Ron

Hee hee, just to be clear, Santiago can't give every arriving pilgrim a solar eclipse! But it is a cool town :)

Happy Birthday to Michelle!!

Alfred, speaking of just the towns themselves, Finisterre and Muxia are both worth seeing if you have the time and inclination to go. Both towns have the ocean, lighthouses, hills with spectacular overlooks, and a slower pace of life. Many pilgrims find it soothing and restful to spend some time at either town after the Camino to Santiago. Some pilgrims get to Santiago and feel like they're done walking, so they take the bus out to the coast, and others walk. So you can play it by ear and see how you feel as you get closer.
Buen Camino!
Faith

Last edited:
Hi Alfred, I would like to extend my Camino journey to Fisterra too. And like Ron I live on Vancouver Island so I see the ocean daily. But I think it was just the whole experience of getting to 'the end of the world'. My friend spent a few days there a few years ago and she said it was the highlight of the Camino Journey for her. I'm enjoying the planning of my first Camino too. So much wonderful information on the forum. Buen Camino.
I have heard and feel the same I want to have the feeling of going to the end. I was talking to a woman and she said it was totally worth it and made the Camino mean more to her. She said it was also some of the most spectacular scenery of the Camino. I am planning to go the entire way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hee hee, just to be clear, Santiago can't give every arriving pilgrim a solar eclipse! But it is a cool town :)

(And happy birthday to Michelle! Sorry I missed you guys yesterday. Nate will be working until 3:30ish today if you want to stop by again - he'd love to meet you. I've also enjoyed seeing your reviews on the Camino Places app.)

Alfred, speaking of just the towns themselves, Finisterre and Muxia are both worth seeing if you have the time and inclination to go. Both towns have the ocean, lighthouses, hills with spectacular overlooks, and a slower pace of life. Many pilgrims find it soothing and restful to spend some time at either town after the Camino to Santiago. Some pilgrims get to Santiago and feel like they're done walking, so they take the bus out to the coast, and others walk. So you can play it by ear and see how you feel as you get closer.
Buen Camino!
Faith
Yes for sure I will play it by ear and also listen to my body. I hope he agrees with my head.HEHE !! The light houses would be a great treat I have never seen one in person. I know I know I must live in a box and that might sound weird to you but I haven't.

Another question kinda off the subject I want to document my once in a lifetime trip anyone have good suggestions for camera / video I have a Go pro hero 4 silver will that do?

Yes for sure I will play it by ear and also listen to my body. I hope he agrees with my head.HEHE !! The light houses would be a great treat I have never seen one in person. I know I know I must live in a box and that might sound weird to you but I haven't.

Well, if you've never seen a lighthouse in person think of it this way: the ones in Finisterre and Muxía are only a 3-day walk, or 3-hour bus ride away from Santiago. They're *that* accessible! :)
Hope you do get to see one or both of them. They're both in gorgeous spots. Will PM you with more info on where to see some of our photos.
Faith

Another question kinda off the subject I want to document my once in a lifetime trip anyone have good suggestions for camera / video I have a Go pro hero 4 silver will that do?

Hi Alfred,

If you've never seen a lighthouse then you should definitely make the trip, either by walking or bus. Michele and I live near a park called "Lighthouse Park" so you can see why we choose not to make the trip. :)

Regarding your GoPro, I have the exact one that you have and I didn't even consider bringing it. It doesn't have a view screen so you'd need a smartphone with the GoPro app on it to see what your taking a pic/video of. I have a Panasonic LUMIX that takes great pictures and full HD video. Much, much better in my humble opinion.

Ron

We did not continue and I wish we had. I just didn't realize that we would not be ready to stop walking! When I was planning I thought we would be exhausted and walking another 80-100 km seemed like something that would be too much. I was wrong. I wanted to hold on to the peace and togetherness my husband and I had found on the Camino. It felt incomplete to me not to leave Santiago the way we arrived -- walking, and not to walk to the sea. Frankly I don't ever think I will be ready to stop walking! We took a but trip to Finisterre and it was wonderful, but not as wonderful as walking there would have been :). This coming year when we walk the Camino Primitivo, we will walk to Muxia and Finisterre. Liz

Hi Alfred,

If you've never seen a lighthouse then you should definitely make the trip, either by walking or bus. Michele and I live near a park called "Lighthouse Park" so you can see why we choose not to make the trip. :)

Regarding your GoPro, I have the exact one that you have and I didn't even consider bringing it. It doesn't have a view screen so you'd need a smartphone with the GoPro app on it to see what your taking a pic/video of. I have a Panasonic LUMIX that takes great pictures and full HD video. Much, much better in my humble opinion.

Ron
Really Ron ??? Mine has an LCD on back

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We did not continue and I wish we had. I just didn't realize that we would not be ready to stop walking! When I was planning I thought we would be exhausted and walking another 80-100 km seemed like something that would be too much. I was wrong. I wanted to hold on to the peace and togetherness my husband and I had found on the Camino. It felt incomplete to me not to leave Santiago the way we arrived -- walking, and not to walk to the sea. Frankly I don't ever think I will be ready to stop walking! We took a but trip to Finisterre and it was wonderful, but not as wonderful as walking there would have been :). This coming year when we walk the Camino Primitivo, we will walk to Muxia and Finisterre. Liz
This time your trip will be completed. I heard the Primitivo has many flat lands is that correct or maybe it was the Portugal I'm not sure???

Well that changes everything! You must have the next gen to mine. :)
Hmmmm interesting I have only had it 2 months I love it . It has zoom and also records in 4k also AWESOME in low light. The LCD is 3 INCH I believe and also came with a wrist control.

Absolutely. Take your time. I took 6 days to Finisterre and 2 more to Muxia. It is a lovely hike.
After getting to Finisterre did you walk to Muxia by the sea coast ? I was hoping to do this but have not come across much info about that option

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After getting to Finisterre did you walk to Muxia by the sea coast ? I was hoping to do this but have not come across much info about that option

Hi, Blades, There is a separate section of the forum devoted to Muxia and Finisterre.
Scroll through here, but let us know if you have specific questions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia.20/

I've walked that stretch four or five times, both from Finisterre to Muxia and Muxia to Finisterre. It's very nice, but not along the coast. You get a few glimpses of it, but you have to take a detour to actually get to the water. (with the exception of right outside of Muxia, where you do walk near the ocean for a short while). One great detour to a beach is in the little town of Lires. There is a beach about a km away with a wonderful cafe right on the water. Then the walk back to the camino is along the ocean and quite beautiful. No need to backtrack, it's well marked in both directions.

Buen camino, Laurie

If you ask me it was the highlight, not just the lighthouse, of my Camino :)
But I guess it depends on inner goals someone are after. Whether it's religious, religious/spiritual, spiritual, sporty etc.
I've met and talked to lots of people about that. Some just finished their Camino in SdC and, even after they've taken bus ride to Fistera/Muxia, never regret to walk the "last" stretch. Some felt something special by the sea, others didn't. And there were some that wanted to reach the "End of the World" from beginning of their Camino and were disappointed. Others were not. There's no "right way" to do it. In my eyes there's just "ejnoy it" ;)

Ultreia!

Really Ron ??? Mine has an LCD on back
Hola!

It could have additional: battery or screen or "nothing" at the back. Whichever configuration you choose. That's the beauty of GoPro with all its add(-on)s.

Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Blades, There is a separate section of the forum devoted to Muxia and Finisterre.
Scroll through here, but let us know if you have specific questions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia.20/

I've walked that stretch four or five times, both from Finisterre to Muxia and Muxia to Finisterre. It's very nice, but not along the coast. You get a few glimpses of it, but you have to take a detour to actually get to the water. (with the exception of right outside of Muxia, where you do walk near the ocean for a short while). One great detour to a beach is in the little town of Lires. There is a beach about a km away with a wonderful cafe right on the water. Then the walk back to the camino is along the ocean and quite beautiful. No need to backtrack, it's well marked in both directions.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you I will check out the section you gave me . I was hoping that there was a path or trail like most coast lines in Nova Scotia where you could walk along the ocean edge ...I will be going to Finisterre for sure but may not make Muxia .We will see what the gods have instore for me .

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back