• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bi-directional route markings

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
walked the vdlp to ASTORGA and while the route has no reverse markings to my knowledge it has many square blocks that are easy to follow in reverse plus the way is very easy to follow as the way is mostly well defined track ( new built or old trading/royal cattle trails)
I think the route from Santiago through Ourence is less defined ( less old)
Ian

Hi Gert,

According to my CSJ guide (it's from 2011 but I believe the general info hasn't been updated since 2004--it's only the accommodation that changes yearly), it's "extremely difficult" to walk backwards. However, there are white arrows that mark the route backwards from Gijon (don't know where that is--it must be off the route) to Caceres, since it's used as a ruta de transhumancia for cattle drovers.

Aside from that, the blocks Ian mentioned are only in Extremadura. The rest of the route (including the Camino Sanabres through Ourense) is marked for pilgrims in one direction, so I'd imagine it'd be quite difficult to do backwards without a very good map.

Anna-Marie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
nousername said:
Hi,

Reading the topic (URL below) leads me to enquire if the VdlP is well marked for travel in the opposite direction North to South?

camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic4570.html?hilit=tarifa#p25475

Thanks

Gert

Well, in 2008, I met a japanese chap in Gudina. He was walking from Santiago to Sevilla and had made it that way.
Having only walked it from South to North, I would say.....
The section through Galicia wuold be troublesome, but the extremaduran part should be OK, there are pretty good maps, directions and there are those cubes with the Arc at Caparra to show the way. And the short stage through Andalucia should be a snip....
Buen Camino
Gyro

Last October, when I was walking Sevilla to Merida, I met a pair who were coming south from Salamanca. I asked how they'd found it, since they'd constantly have to be looking backwards to find the markings, and they said while it was a challenge, it wasn't too bad. Personally, I'd think it would be challenging, as there are enough quirky markings when you're going S to N. However, if you're adventurous, this might be for you!

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Be careful when you organise a transfer from the Arca de Caparra (Via’s emblem) to one of the three hotels in Jarilla. The guide books we are using state that you will be picked up at ARCA DE...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back