• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Big & Tall person issues on Camino Frances?

Mark Barnes

Old Engineer
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - September - November (2017)
I am a large man (6'2" and 320 pounds) and hope to walk the Camino Frances September - October 2017. I have read many books on the Camino and read this site often but have not seen mention of potential concerns that larger people may run into. I would like any advice that I can gain from any of you. The thought of getting put on a top bunk is not one that I would look forward to. I have not seen any youtube videos that show any big old boys walking the Camino. So I turn to you that have been there for your thoughts and experience.
I retired two years ago and go the gym six days a week and walk 3 miles a day on the tread mill. I also walk 4 miles on trails two days a week.
Thanks in advance for your input and knowledge.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am not large, but I am getting old, and always request a bottom bunk. I have never had to sleep on a top one, so I must look as old as I am. Polite requests with good reason are almost always accommodated, as long as things are not too crowded. The only problem might be when the albergues are filling up early. By mid-to-late October, the crowds will have lessened, but September is busy.

If you are assigned to a top bunk, you could probably ask the person underneath if they'd be willing to trade. They might agree that is a good idea!

I have seen people of all shapes, sizes and ages, on the camino. The young and beautiful are just more likely to post the YouTube videos!:cool: Keep up your training, and be sure not to overdo things at the beginning of your camino. If you can allow plenty of time to walk and incorporate time for rest days, that would also be helpful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As Cclearly mentioned, getting a bottom bunk will not be an issue. In fact, it's the person on the bottom bunk that may ask you to switch.;)

And I say this in the kindest way, and because one of my best Camino memories comes from an evening in a municipal albergue when the man who got the last bed, an upper bunk, was a tall, heavy boned, muscled, and also perhaps with a layer of so,ething extra to keep him warm :).

On the bottom bed was a 70 something retired university professor from Austria. Tall, thin, so very proper and polite.

When the big and tall mountain guide got on the top bunk, the whole structure started rattling! The whole albergue was laughing. The big and tall man trying not to move too much so the bed would not collapse. The professor terrified he was going to meet his dealth is a muni on the Primitivo. The exchanges between them were priceless.

In the end a young, thin, 20 something gave up his bottom bunk so that both the big & tall man and the retired professor could have a bottom bunk.

It was a memorable evening, very much like being back at summer camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a large man (6'2" and 320 pounds) and hope to walk the Camino Frances September - October 2017. I have read many books on the Camino and read this site often but have not seen mention of potential concerns that larger people may run into. I would like any advice that I can gain from any of you. The thought of getting put on a top bunk is not one that I would look forward to. I have not seen any youtube videos that show any big old boys walking the Camino. So I turn to you that have been there for your thoughts and experience.
I retired two years ago and go the gym six days a week and walk 3 miles a day on the tread mill. I also walk 4 miles on trails two days a week.

I am a big and tall pilgrim, and if you don't have any knee problems etc you'll be fine -- yes you will occasionally run into people surrendering their bottom bunk places less graciously than could be hoped for, if you really cannot sleep on the top (as I couldn't during much of my last Camino), but then again on the other hand you will inevitably lose some weight and gain some strength, and after a while the top bunks will stop feeling like forbidden territory but more like just another of the Camino's occasional challenges.

With very few exceptions, you'll find the beds or bunk beds to be long enough and sturdy enough for frames such as ours.

Otherwise, general advice -- try and make most of the advantage your longer stride will give you to try and reduce effort and fatigue, but also do realise that some short days and maybe rest days will be needed. No need to seek motorised assistance from public transport, just trust yourself and let your body and the Way itself work together to get a natural rhythm, howsoever slow or average or fast your natural hourly and daily paces will turn out to be.

Days when you need to stop because of blisters or just plain old crushing mental or physical fatigue are a part of that learning process, and should be accepted as a need to slow down a bit instead of some sort of failure to stick to a plan made in advance or to what the guide books might be telling you.

Make no advance plans except for what to pack and what training to do and how to get to your starting point and so on, and treat the advice and other contents of every guide book with reasonable suspicion. For this reason also, do not book a specific return date in advance, as you won't know in advance how long the Camino will take for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Always ask as you get to the albergue and you'be given a bottom bed. I suffer from asthma and always request a top bed so that I can leave the window open. The length of the bed might be a problem as my husband finds the beds too short and he is 6'3".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bottom bunk just ask. Length of bunk, variable. Another of life's variants! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mark, thanks for your information that you have so kindly shared with us.

I feel like you're me !! I'm also retired about 5 years ago and Im 6 foot 3 and weigh 220 pounds. I also go to the gym quiet a lot and I'm generally fit,. I have not done any Camino but I hope to start on the 11th of April this year in St Jean and I hope to do the Camino Frances. On and off during my long life I have had quite a few long walks in South Africa , in a very trying circumstances . I agree with most of the other friends will contribute to these sites that you must please try and break in your boots and your back before you hit the Camino. I would advise that you do your gym work as you mentioned you do and also take some time out to walk in your Neighborhood up and down a hill if you have it and break your boots in because to me I think the most important thing except maybe for health is that your feet must stay healthy and in good shape and if your boots don't fit you well then you might have problems. I'm not so vain to pretend that I know much about the Camino but a walk is a walk and a Boot is a boot and we all know that we must break it in; .so try out your new boots on the road and if possible carry a rucksack with about 8 kilos . I have put in about four to litre bottles of water and that is quite heavy enough to give me indication of how my backpack would weight on the Camino

I'm about 6'6", and only rarely had problems

Take care in how much kilometers do you walk each day. The weight can be a problem for your feet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have done some walking with a large friend of mine, and his main problem is that he wears out shoe beds much faster than I do. Perhaps you could get some spares that fit just right and bring them with you?

He also has had problems with sleeping bags, I think he told me he ended up getting one customized.

Also, be aware that you don't HAVE to carry 10 % of your body weight! Your clothes are bigger than mine, yes, but everything else you need to carry is not, so you should work on ensuring your pack is as light as possible.

I'm part of this 'elite' club as well and haven't come across issues specific to the Camino but rather general issues relating to long distance walking.

I agree wholeheartedly with advice above about high quality footwear. Even in warmer, dry weather I wear boots (my choice are Lowa Renegades GTX Mids but many other options exist) that are very cushioned and replace their insoles with higher quality insoles. They also support my ankles over the long haul.

Trekking poles make a really big difference too, especially coming down long, steep hills. My knees thank me for every step. They do help as well on the way up as your arms can pull you up to assist the legs.

I find that 50L packs are best for me. Anything smaller and the harness doesn't fit properly and I'm not carrying the weight on my hips as I need to. Lots to choose from but fit is the most important. As a general recommendation, you don't want to load a 50L pack to the gills just because there is space and I ignore the 10% 'rule' too. I don't need that much gear and it would just grind my knees that much more. That works well for me since I carry my own 'insulation' I need less of it in terms of clothes, sleeping bags, etc.!

For training I try to build up slow and have found that my walking style is like a big ole' diesel... I don't get anywhere that fast but I can go a long way in a day and hills don't slow me down.

Good luck with your training and wish you a Buen Camino in the fall
Jordon

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello, Mark from a fellow Texan! To ensure a bottom bunk for those middle of the night bathroom trips, I would choose a private albergue in the village where I planned to be that night and around late morning/early afternoon call ahead and ask to reserve a bottom bunk for that night. They would always save one for if I arrived by around 3pm. I do speak some Spanish but one day I must have mangled my request pretty badly because the man on the phone, in perfect English, asked me "Is your English any better than your Spanish?"

This is a good thread, and one that should help us larger pilgrims. All the key stuff has been touched on, so I will not interject anything redundant.

I to am a big guy, short and round. The thing I would say about short/tall and round is take care of your health, don't rush your journey, rest when you need or want to. I always requested and got bottom bunks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Going downhill; the surfaces combined with the grade on several of the days will be very difficult carrying that much weight especially after the climbs which will require a solid level of cardio; you will be fatigued. Take time before you descend and go slowly and use poles especially when the surfaces are uneven. When you find your legs shaking a bit, take breaks.

• Below is my walking training -
    Mark Walking – training
    • On tread mill – 3 miles in one hour (4.8 Km) at Golds Gym six days a week

• Walking on street – 4 miles (6.4 km) in one hour 40 min. (2.4 miles per hour) (3.9 km per hour) - Two days a week

• Day 2 walking on street test - 4 miles (6.4 km) in one hour 40 min. (2.4 miles per hour) (3.9 km per hour)

• Example – If my goal is to walk 20 km (12.5 miles) a day that means I would need to walk 5 hours and then add in a 15 min break every 2 hour and also a 30 min lunch. This would mean a @6.5 - 7 hours a day. Example 7:30am to 2:30pm. * Note that over days of walking the reality of walking time (based on my 4 mile walk test) may change.

I wear a 3x or 4x size (56" chest) shirt/jacket and in USA it is not easy to find exactly what you want in clothes for hiking but you can get items that work. I love REI but the ones in Texas do not carry big sizes so most of my pants, shorts, jackets, etc. are Columbia brand. I wear Darn Tough socks and Cabela's Grand Mesa hiking boots 12 EE wide. Hiking boots are limited selection for wide feet as well.
Oh well we can't all be slim pretty model types.....
Thanks to all for the great input.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mark, walking on a treadmill will not translate to what you are about to take on from a time perspective. For instance I was training at 10-15 miles 3-4 days a week at roughly 17-18 minute miles and getting under 20 minute miles was very tough consistently unless you are on flat ground and I don't think flat ground will be your issue. I would recommend walking at increasing grades on the treadmill, and ratcheting up the distance and carrying a weighted backpack if you intend on carrying your backpack. This will be build your cardio and stability for the first 8-10 days and then the last part of the Francis; the first part of the Francis is a lot more rigorous then the topo maps reflect. This will help you by mitigating injuries and accelerating your recovery. I always recommend to people that want to do the Francis is to walk 5 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday and see where that leaves you, i.e. where are you sore, what is requiring more recovery, how do your feet feel in terms of being swollen; are your shoes still fitting well. Everybody goes through this process, but I think this would help you adjust to what I perceive will be the most difficult part of the track given your size. You will love it, you just want to avoid injury and help build your recovery which will translate into stability.

I wear a 3x or 4x size (56" chest) shirt/jacket and in USA it is not easy to find exactly what you want in clothes for hiking but you can get items that work.
If you have trouble finding clotjes that fit in Texas you can forget finding anything in Spain, so plan well, come prepared. Don't believe any of the posts that try to convince you you can find what you need there.

Other word of advice is to visit a podiatrist to make sure you have the right orthotics and avoid plantear fasciitis.

Mark, walking on a treadmill will not translate to what you are about to take on from a time perspective. For instance I was training at 10-15 miles 3-4 days a week at roughly 17-18 minute miles and getting under 20 minute miles was very tough consistently unless you are on flat ground and I don't think flat ground will be your issue... This will be build your cardio and stability for the first 8-10 days and then the last part of the Francis; the first part of the Francis is a lot more rigorous then the topo maps reflect. .

Hola @Kent Davis - I have to agree about the terrain issues; especially those early days between St Jean and Puenta La Reina and whilst Snr Brierley says it can be walked in 4 days given the number of climbs (and descents) involved I intend to do it over at least 5 days. Becoming "Camino Fit" or adjusting to the daily toil and the weight of the backpack is a "pole pole" (Kiswahili for slowly slowly).

If you're planning on starting in France, Decathlon does have some larger size stuff, if you can organise enough time before starting to check them out.

Lots of great advice from fellow biggies ...

I do agree that starting to take longer walks should be part of your training regimen moving forward.

Also, instead of poles, given your size you might want to consider a staff -- ideally ash, and as long as the distance standing from the ground to your armpit. A decent one is light, and very strong.

Last edited:
Decathlon's men's 4x looks like it fits a 52' chest, and that may be as large as they go.

C & A has casual clothes and some fitness style clothes up to a 6x, but I wouldn't count on finding the largest sizes in stores (just like here in the US, if you need a larger size you often have to order it). El Corte Ingles also carries big and tall sizes in their larger stores (they for sure do in Santiago - that's where a former pro basketball player living there gets his clothes - definitely on the tall side!).

Both C&A and El Corte Ingles are in or near the following: Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, and Santiago de Compostela. But I have to agree with a poster above - I'd plan on bringing everything you need.

I traveled and lived in Asia many years for work and am use to not being able to get clothes in my size when I travel. I will bring more than I need most likely in fear of not having what I need and knowing I could not get it over there. Again thanks for the input. When I walk the 4 miles on trails what hurts is the ball of my feet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am definitely in the big and tall club. More so when I started walking the Camino in St. Jean Pied de Port.

Go at your own pace, and practice walking up steep inclines if you have any near you. There were none where I live.

Reserve a room at Orisson if you plan to take the high route. The day before I was at Orisson, a pilgrim died of a heart attack just after Orisson from I believe pushing too hard. Make sure you have cash, as they do not take credit cards.

Sleep on the bottom bunks. I actually got tired of the bottom bunks because I kept hitting my head. At one hostel I switched to the top, even though the lady running the hostel put me in the bottom. As soon as I put my knee down and put weight on it, I broke the bed. And scared the crap out of the peregrino who was lying on the bunk under me. They had to call a repairman to come fix it. It appeared to me that those bunk beds were for children. After that incident, I started to check the construction of the beds before I paid my money. If they tried to put me in a top bunk, and the construction was not solid, I would not stay at that albergue.

Bring or be prepared to buy a smaller pair of pants. I lost 45 pounds walking to Santiago de Compostela. You mileage may vary.

Try not to carry 10% of your weight including water, although it may be extremely hard to achieve. While everyone states 10%, carrying 30 lbs is not what they had in mind.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Another issue I have is that I use a CPAP. I am looking at smaller units now and trying to work through how much of an issue that is going to be.

Wow 45 pounds of weight loss.... that is crazy (good). I had heard people say that they lost weight but never heard anyone state an amount. That is another reason to do this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think it was a combination of eating less, eating healthier, and exercising far more than normal. In addition I would recommend poles. However, the use of poles (single or dual) or a stick is a personal choice.

I wear a 3x or 4x size (56" chest) shirt/jacket and in USA it is not easy to find exactly what you want in clothes for hiking but you can get items that work. I love REI but the ones in Texas do not carry big sizes so most of my pants, shorts, jackets, etc. are Columbia brand. I wear Darn Tough socks and Cabela's Grand Mesa hiking boots 12 EE wide. Hiking boots are limited selection for wide feet as well.
I don't know how your ankles are, but if you do not need boots try New Balance sneakers or walking shoes. They come in larger sizes especially widths. They usually have good support out of the box and don't require breaking in.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore Keen Targhee II hiking boots for my Camino. I wear 13EEE normally. They sell this boot in a wide width. I got the 13 wide. It fit beautifully. The toe box is nice and roomy, which is critical to avoid blisters. I did quite well in that area, only getting a couple little ones early on. I too am a big guy (6'-2", 230). I believe big guys need tough footwear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I walk the 4 miles on trails what hurts is the ball of my feet.

That's going to be a problem. Can you have someone help you choose better shoes? Better insoles?

Something that is a little unpleasant the first day may, if unchecked, get a whole lot worse over time.

(and remember to give your feet a good massage with a fatty cream in the evening...)

I don't know how your ankles are, but if you do not need boots try New Balance sneakers or walking shoes. They come in larger sizes especially widths. They usually have good support out of the box and don't require breaking in.

If you already know this, then bear with me: buy a pair of footwear that is 1/2 to a full size larger. You are going to be walking far more than you normally do, and your feet are going to swell. Not to mention that you do not want your toes hitting the front of your shoes on downhills. You are going to have to determine whether to wear a gortex shoe, or one with no goretex. I went with non goretex. In addition, you are definitely going to want to change the stock insoles out of your shoes. I would talk to the personnel at REI concerning this.

There are members here who use CPAP. I would suggest that you go to the Equipment Forum and start a thread there with your questions and concerns. In addition, if you use the search function looking up CPAP, you will find a lot of threads where they were discussed.

I am within a 1/2 inch of your height and about fifty pounds of your weight. At 65, I walked the CdS last April/May and had no problems with getting into the top bunk, on the rare occasions of necessity. As you, I exercised before leaving. Of course, at the end of any day, any soft spot, regardless of elevation, will be most appreciated!

When I walk the 4 miles on trails what hurts is the ball of my feet.
Quick diagnosis is flat feet. Run to a podiatrist and have custom orthotics made. I say run because it takes a while for them to be made. You may also be advised to alternate between the custom rigid orthotics and a pair of softer, more flexible ones. That's what my podiatrist has me do and it is heaven.

I rember being on the Camino with pain on the ball of my feet, not understading what I was doing wrong since everyone else seemed to be walking painfree. I am not part of the painfree group and you can as well.

Because of the extra pressure you are outting on your feet, consider icing, massaging and stretching the bottom of your feet a few times a day. When you stop for a cafe con leche or a cool drink, ask for a bit of ice you can put in a ziplock bag you'll carry with you. For stretches, google Plantear Fasciitis stretches and learn a few simple ones. Also, rolling a frozen bottle of water under your feet does wonders, but of course you have to have enough time to allow a bottle of water to freeze after arriving in an albergue, which is why asking for a bit of ice here and there during the day is easier,

Finally, take the shoes you are planning on walking with to your podiatrist. She or he will be able to give you the green light or will send you shopping again. I have taken a coup,e of pairs to mine to be told which ine would be better for me and just return the other to the store,

Wow 45 pounds of weight loss.... that is crazy (good). I had heard people say that they lost weight but never heard anyone state an amount. That is another reason to do this.
That's a "big" part of why I walk every year: to take off what I've put on. And 45 pounds is not unusual, unless you drink red wine as if it was water and order all things fried. On my first Camino I met a slim man, not thin thin but slim, who had lost 40 pounds the previous year, so imaging when you have more than that to lose. A sewing kit to move the botton on your pants and a few safety pins go a long way to keep pants up as you lose weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another issue I have is that I use a CPAP. I am looking at smaller units now and trying to work through how much of an issue that is going to be.
Another reason for people to give you a bottom bed. Hospitaleros and fellow dormmates will no doubt adapt to accomodate you and let you have a bed by an outlet, rather than be kept up at night by your snoring and gasping.

If you want more peace of mind, you could always book ahead, and asking for a bottom bunk near an outlet explaining why. There will always be a hospy or fellow walker able to make the call in Spanish and explain.

Mark, set your daily distance goals to match your ability. The written guides prescribe you do 12-20 miles per day to stay on their schedules. Make your own schedule. Maybe you want to do the Camino in sections over several years, as is common. There are many albergue options in between major stops. My easiest Camino day was tougher than my hardest training day. You are a big guy and will have stresses on your knees and hips. I did. You will get blisters, even if you get none during your workouts. You will meet other big guys. We are out there every year. Much of the Camino is about overcoming pain. If this is something you feel you must do, then you must do it smart. I will look for you on the trail next Fall. I wish you a Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am 6'4" and never had a problem with the length of any of the beds or bunks.
lucky you ---
i'm a mere 180cm / 6' and had plenty of "issues" in the bedlength/bodylength ratio department (albergue as well as hotels/pensao)
if bed was large enough - i slept diagonal. not possible in most bunks.

I am 6'2", of robust build, and am on the trailing edge of my prime years. About 1/3 of my albergue beds were top bunk, but seeing how I was usually one of the last Pelegrinos off the trail, I was happy for ANY bunk. On one occasion, my top bunk was without a ladder. That was a bit of an adventure, especially when the bottom bunk was unoccupied, as I caused the whole set-up to raise into the air like the back end of the Titanic as I wrestled my way up the end of the frame. Another time, the ladder came loose on one side, swinging me out into the mysteries of the dark. My curse-laden yell no doubt awoke a few of my bunk mates. Embarrassing. Several of my bunks were a couple of inches shorter than I, and it was painful to not be able to stretch out. One time, my feet discovered a solution by snaking their way through the end bars of the frame. Upon realizing I was cradling the head of the sleeping Italian in the adjacent bunk between my feet, I quickly abandoned that strategy. Most of the time, I slept relatively well and without incident. The albergues were great! It was a rich experience and I plan to do it again.

I think it was a combination of eating less, eating healthier, and exercising far more than normal. In addition I would recommend poles. However, the use of poles (single or dual) or a stick is a personal choice.

I don't know where you are from Skipronin, but I have found food in general healthier than the same food in North America. The pasta and bread most notably as I get a big sugar high from the North American versions but when I eat them on the Camino I don't have the same results.

I am so over trying to find female hiking pants, everything is for the "normal size " females and everything else does not ship to Australia

The frustration with the outdoor shops that believe only people size 14 and smaller hike. I have the same issue in Canada but have the convenience of being able to pickup a package in the US. This Camino I am a size 20 and had the added challenge of it being a winter Camino.

REI used to have the larger sizes in the stores but they have taken them out this year and have them only online. The places I found were REI online has larger sizes, Columbia and LLBean online.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am definitely in the big and tall club. More so when I started walking the Camino in St. Jean Pied de Port.

Go at your own pace, and practice walking up steep inclines if you have any near you. There were none where I live.

Reserve a room at Orisson if you plan to take the high route. The day before I was at Orisson, a pilgrim died of a heart attack just after Orisson from I believe pushing too hard. Make sure you have cash, as they do not take credit cards.

Sleep on the bottom bunks. I actually got tired of the bottom bunks because I kept hitting my head. At one hostel I switched to the top, even though the lady running the hostel put me in the bottom. As soon as I put my knee down and put weight on it, I broke the bed. And scared the crap out of the peregrino who was lying on the bunk under me. They had to call a repairman to come fix it. It appeared to me that those bunk beds were for children. After that incident, I started to check the construction of the beds before I paid my money. If they tried to put me in a top bunk, and the construction was not solid, I would not stay at that albergue.

Bring or be prepared to buy a smaller pair of pants. I lost 45 pounds walking to Santiago de Compostela. You mileage may vary.

Try not to carry 10% of your weight including water, although it may be extremely hard to achieve. While everyone states 10%, carrying 30 lbs is not what they had in mind.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.
skipronin and others have some very relevant comments. So I join into this discussion as well. At 6'10" and 130kg, I had major problems with the Lilliputian beds on the Camino. I think they often purchased Children's bunks from Ikea. Top or bottom it didn't matter, my legs hung over into my Neighbour's space, so I ended sleeping in the Foetal position. But after a hard days walk, 3 courses of pilgrims comfort food and a bottle of vino I slept like a baby. But I gave up with albergues in the end and only slept in hostels or other private accommodation where I could get a queen size bed ( did I mention I snore). In regards to packs I used a 50 liter pack due to the length down my back, but it looked like an a empty pack as I could not fill it. In regards to hiking clothes I ordered them on line from REI Online. anything made in Asia is way to small regardless of the claims they make about its size. I agree Cand A have some larger sizes, but nothings useful for hiking. Yep, use hiking poles, worth their weight in gold. Socks, change them 2-3 times a day. Sweaty socks = wet feet = blisters. Other than the basics, underwear and socks, forgot about buying clothes on the Camino nothing fits if you are larger than M or L. In regards to pre Camino training in do 10+km on the crosstrainer in the gym Monday to Friday, and 20-30km hikes with a full pack each day on the weekend in the 2 months leading up to the Camino. Other than that nothing during the rest of the year. Check russandjan dot com for our blog history.

Last edited:

ouch !!

I'm at the extreme limit at a few inches less, and I've met exactly one pilgrim as tall as I am (though good old Anton my austrian compañero in 2005 was pretty close) -- how did you manage to work out your kit ?

JabbaPapa, i was fortunate that i was able to borrow a couple of different packs in different sizes to practice with. I found 70 liters, while long enough, was way to big, and i was tempted to try and fill it. It ended up weighing nearly 20kgs - lesson learnt the hard way. In the end I visited a number of camping stores and tried on as many packs as I could. The length was important, as I needed to have it settled on my hips. In regards to clothes, I managed to buy them online from USA, where it seems the sizes are accurate. I noted that Columbia will not allow their products to be shipped direct to other countries from USA. All the other bits and pieces of kit I organized over a 12month period by trial and error.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Guess I'm lucky with longer limbs rather than torso, from what you guys are saying ...

Beware of chairs. Many plastic chairs sit in the sun, and have deteriorated without visible flaws. One snapped under me at 200 pounds, and I have seen another shatter under another person!!

Last edited by a moderator:

€60,-

Hi Mark,

I'm 6'2" 290 lbs and I've been on camino twice, the first time in 2014 with limited time I walked over 350km.

This last time was last summer when I walked for a week from St Jean to Estella (I'll start from Estella next year when I return). I had no problems with getting a bottom bunk in any of the albergues because I stopped no later than 1-2pm each day so I was always in the first group to check in giving me a good choice of beds. My problem was and is climbing the hills, mainly because I keep thinking I'm 30 and not the soon to be 65. I have learned to walk slow, rest when tired and remind myself it is not a race. It is surprising how many people who I thought were so fast that I'd never see them again and yet, more times than not I would meet them again at the end of the day or the next.

Listen to your body and you'll be fine.

Beware of chairs. Many plastic chairs sit in the sun, and have deteriorated without visible flaws. One snapped under me at 200 pounds, and I have seen another shatter under another person!![/QUOTE
At my size I hate plastic chairs and never sit in them for the very reason you stated. Thanks for the reminder.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can walk all day but also struggle with hills. Thanks for you wisdom of taking my time and not rush.
I do not do hills well. I go up then 10 steps at a time and take a break, look back and wonder at my progress. Or I'll tell myself that I will walk to "that tree" and do the same. When you see windmills in the horizon, ne certain that that is exactly where the Camino will take you. Daunting. When you get to said windmills, look back and rejoice, patring yourself on the backpack. ;)

I do not do hills well. I go up then 10 steps at a time and take a break, look back and wonder at my progress. Or I'll tell myself that I will walk to "that tree" and do the same. When you see windmills in the horizon, ne certain that that is exactly where the Camino will take you. Daunting. When you get to said windmills, look back and rejoice, patring yourself on the backpack. ;)
That will be me, I told hubby I will crawl if I have to

If you decide to use water bottles, ensure that you can pull the bottle from its side pocket while wearing the pack. Then ensure that you can put it back into its side pocket. You can do this in the store while deciding which bag to buy. When I was checking this I found that the diameter of the bottle made a difference in the ease of replacing it in the side pockets. If you cannot do both, then I suggest that you look at alternative methods than just using a plain water bottle in your the side pockets of your backpack. There are plenty of threads in the equipment forum on methods of carrying water.

If you are not an accomplished hill walker, double the amount of time that the pilgrims office states is the average amount of time that it takes to reach Roncesvalles. Being able to walk for miles on flat ground is not the same as hill walking on an incline. If you start in St. Jean remember to give encouragement to those who are starting 100 km from Santiago when they face their first steep incline.

The pack I use is a Teton 4000 and the main reason I choose that is due to the adjustable torso (long length) and the waist belt adjust out to 54" (I only need 50" but that is still hard to find). It is 60L in size. I use a 3L bladder with mine but also plan to take a water bottle as well.

I was having pain and soreness in the ball of my feet after walking on the streets around my house for 4 or 5 miles. I looked into inserts for my hiking boots and found the Sof Sole (see below) on Amazon. One of the reviews was from a guy who bought these and wore them o.n the Camino and loved them. That was good enough for me so I bought them. I have had them for a week now and have worn them on six 5 mile walks and my feet have not hurt. I like them and I wear a size 12 EE or extra wide boot. Thought I would let you know what to date has helped me with the ball of my foot pain after walking.

Sof Sole[/U]
Sof Sole Airr Orthotic Full Length Performance Shoe Insoles for Men and Women

Hi Mark, I'm 66 and will be 67 going back for my 2nd Camino along with my wife around the end of August this time. I was 6'1'' 245lbs when I started the Camino Frances(Sept.2016) and finished it at 220lb. What we found out is that a treadmill will not suffice and unless you are doing steep inclines while on the trails .. that too will be inadequate. We trained on a commercial treadmill we had at home walking hours on it at 6% to 12% inclines. What we did find out is to USE THE STAIRMASTER OR STAIRSTEPPER at the gym ...lol. Also, when you feel fit enough, pack your backpack gradually adding weight over time and wear it trekking /working out on the treadmill and stairmaster. The first day out of SJPP on the Frances is a grind if you haven't pushed yourself at home first. BTW .. there other gents larger than I and older, but they paced themselves and made it through. We are currently under going physicals and testing with our cardiologist to make sure what we start .. we finish which we almost didn't do last time. While not impossible, it is not easy for the first week then you will gradually whip yourself into Camino shape if you haven't already !

Buen Camino ... Bill

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mark, I'm 66 and will be 67 going back for my 2nd Camino along with my wife around the end of August this time. I was 6'1'' 245lbs when I started the Camino Frances(Sept.2016) and finished it at 220lb. What we found out is that a treadmill will not suffice and unless you are doing steep inclines while on the trails .. that too will be inadequate. We trained on a commercial treadmill we had at home walking hours on it at 6% to 12% inclines. What we did find out is to USE THE STARIMASTER OR STAIRSTEPPER at the gym ...lol. Also, when you feel fit enough, pack your backpack gradually adding weight over time and wear it trekking /working out on the treadmill and stairmaster. The first day out of SJPP on the Frances is a grind if you haven't pushed yourself at home first. BTW .. there other gents larger than I and older, but they paced themselves and made it through. We are currently under going physicals and testing with our cardiologist to make sure what we start .. we finish which we almost didn't do last time. While not impossible, it is not easy for the first week then you will gradually whip yourself into Camino shape if you haven't already !

Buen Camino ... Bill
Is 20% inclines on the treadmill ok ?? We are a wee bit lacking in hills. (Ps Treadmill is at home not the gym.

Last edited:
Is 20% inclines on the treadmill ok ?? We are a we bit lacking in hills. (Ps Treadmill is at home not the gym.
I am doing the stairmaster and then I go to the treadmill on a 15% incline my wife is doing the stairmaster and treadmill but that will increase with more aggressive training once the cardiologist gives us the ok as we have moved up our Camino Frances date to August. BTW ... we live in Florida where there is nothing resembling a bump let alone a hill ...lol We are also doing weight training for legs and core. So if all you have access to is a treadmill then use it, it can only help and since you say 20% incline, I would think that would do the trick for conditioning. By our third week on the Frances, the Frances whipped us into shape...lol. We don't want to go through that again.

The pack I use is a Teton 4000 and the main reason I choose that is due to the adjustable torso (long length) and the waist belt adjust out to 54" (I only need 50" but that is still hard to find). It is 60L in size. I use a 3L bladder with mine but also plan to take a water bottle as well.
Mark if you need a larger belt, I had an extension made at a seamstress with the quick release clasps on each side of it so it connected to the belt on the bag. Not the bag I am wearing in the photo, that was an Kelty 65L external frame pack. This time around I downsized and I am going with a 48L Kestrel by Osprey. I found that with the bigger back I carried more which made it harder on the mountains, especially after my wife broke a bone in her foot early on. My pack grew to about 18 kg. This time I have it at 7 kg. :)

I have changed my sleeping bag to a Big Agnes Buffalo Park Sleeping Bag. WEIGHT: Bag Weight 2lb 15oz, Fill Weight 21oz. DIMENSIONS: Heights up to 6'6'', Shoulder Girth 80.5'', Hip Girth 75'', Foot Girth 66'', Stuff Sack Size 8''x17.5'', Compressed Bag Size 8''x10''. This bag is the biggest that I have found that is a weight that is less than 3 pounds.

I have changed my sleeping bag to a Big Agnes Buffalo Park Sleeping Bag. WEIGHT: Bag Weight 2lb 15oz, Fill Weight 21oz. DIMENSIONS: Heights up to 6'6'', Shoulder Girth 80.5'', Hip Girth 75'', Foot Girth 66'', Stuff Sack Size 8''x17.5'', Compressed Bag Size 8''x10''. This bag is the biggest that I have found that is a weight that is less than 3 pounds.

Nice -- good find.

A worry I have is that I am tending to want to take an extra pair of pants, shirt, shoes due to concern that I will not be able to find my size of clothes or shoes if needed. I am 6'2" 320 pounds. I will walk in September and October
As of today I plan to carry - 2 pair of long hiking pants, two long sleeve shirts, one short sleeve shirt, two underwear, four pair of darn tough socks, two liner socks, rain jacket, rain pants, one hiking boots, one trail shoes, one crocks shoes, ball cap, buff, tooth brush, tooth paste, mole skin, light weight towel, head lamp, Swiss army knife, two dry bags, walking poles, glasses, sun glasses, one pair of shorts, fanny pack, Teton 4000 backpack 3 ltr water bladder, shampoo bar, deodorant, may also take poncho.

What a lovely thread, packed full of good advice.
That packing list sounds good to me. Make sure your clothes are all of a technical quick drying kind. Don't make the mistake of thinking 100% cotton anything is best.
If you lose loads of weight you could also get a tailor to take in your pants.
There is also the option to send clothes to Lista De Correos in advance (search for it in the forum) but be aware of the opening hours/days. Then if you got to, say León and didn't need or fit what you had sent, you can give it away or send it forward again to Santiago.
Also think about what you are going to sleep in. I like a pair of black thermal long johns and a thermal t shirt as they double as lounge wear, sleep wear and a base layer if it's chilly.
I would strongly recommend using poles to save your knees and feet. Watch videos for good technique. Used properly, they also give you a full body workout, which is always a bonus!
Finally, leave yourself loads of time. Arriving early and having a week or more to kill in Spain /Portugal is no bad thing at all. Rushing or paying a ton to change a flight is stress you don't need.
Best of luck, dear @Mark Barnes !

Update: I walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela starting September 20 and ending November 02,2017. This was the hardest thing, physically, I have ever done. I found, after two years of research and planning, that I got many things wrong. This hurts to admit since I am a retired engineer. I had written that I had gone to the gym everyday for two years and lifted a lot of weights and walked on treadmill for 3 Miles a day. I can tell you I learned the hard way on day one that walking on a tread mill is nothing like walking the Camino. Most people would tell me they had a much harder time with the down hill walking but for me the up hill was always much harder from beginning to end because of my lack of fitness.
Some of the many things I got wrong;
- 70 liter pack was way to big. I tried to carry all my “stuff” (40 pounds in pack) for the first few days and it darn near killed me. Thank god I found out about bag transport. I transported my bag for a couple of weeks until I got in better shape and got rid of many items I did not need. One issue I could not loose was my 6 pound CPAP machine. If I do this again I would use a 40 liter pack and get a travel CPAP.
- my trainng was all wrong. I should have been walking outside on trails and much less tread mill. I should have walked longer than 3 Miles a day and on hills.
- I should have walked for Miles in my rain gear. I bought lite weight breathable rain gear and found out in Spain that when wearing it I would sweat so much that I may as well just get wet from the rain. I ended up not wearing my rain pants due to the sweating. Next time I would just take a lite poncho.
- as I had stated in earlier threads I am 6’2” and weighed 320 pounds. I stayed in Albergues 90 percent of the time and then hotels in bigger city’s on rest days. I never had an issue on the bunks, I always got bottom, being to short or small. I found the bunks to be just fine for me.
I thought I could walk the guide book stages but found the first few weeks I was walking 8 to 15k due to fitness. Later I would walk 15 to 22k a day. I would walk fewer k’s many more hours than others due to my slow walking. I would meet people and walk with them a few minutes but then they would move on due to my slow pace. I would meet new people each night at the Albergue since ones I had met the night before would be a village or two beyond me the next night.

I wanted to quit everyday the first week out but my family back home kept telling me to keep going and I would be mad at myself if I quit. I kept going and it got easier after about 10 days. I will not lie to you it is hard but so very much worth it.

I could type for hours about what I did wrong and what I got right, etc but will cut it short.

Walking the Camino was one of the best thinks (things)I have ever done.

Best of luck to all of you larger folks looking to walk the Camino.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking the Camino was one of the best thinks I have ever done.
Some might see a typo in this quote, but my view is that it goes to one of the more understated benefits of walking a pilgrimage - the opportunity to spend time with one's own thoughts.

Well done Mark.

What a great post @Mark Barnes and congratulations!! I'm only sorry that I wasn't really active on the forum when you first posted as I'm very much in your weight bracket and could have perhaps passed on some tips, but then there is some satisfaction in working things out for yourself. I have exactly the same trouble with rain gear as you, I sweat a lot even without it and with it I may as well be in the bath.

Still proof positive, as if it were needed, that the Camino isn't just for the young and athletic.

Some might see a typo in this quote, but my view is that it goes to one of the more understated benefits of walking a pilgrimage - the opportunity to spend time with one's own thoughts.

Well done Mark.
Oops, it would have been great if I had meant to type “thinks” but yes it was a typo and was meant to read “things”.

Doesn't sound as if you did too badly -- and the fact that you could do those 8 to 15K days at start shows that the treadmill training was at very least the minimum you needed to start on.

Good job on the perseverance especially !! :cool:

Yeah, plastic/nylon/hi-tech rain gear is pretty much the pits for us big guys, though I was lucky myself to dodge that particular bullet from early (uncomfortable sweaty) experience in late childhood/early adulthood.

If it's not a "winter Camino", the only absolutely essentials against rain are a solid broad-rimmed hat and not really caring that much about getting wet, plus protection for electronics and papers -- but I've found that a traditional woollen pilgrim cape has the advantages of a poncho, despite the extra weight, and works pretty well to keep you (and your pack !!) mostly dry.

You have a massive torso, mate, that cannot be easy to shop for !!! Most of my own bigness comes from my very long legs (though strangely enough, only thing easy to shop for is trousers, as I never have to get the trouser legs shortened !!), but I have massive feet seriously hard and expensive to get shod (size 14 Army boots, sigh ...), and a torso long enough that I can basically only wear t-shirts from the Decathlon sports shop brand.

Really glad that you managed the hike -- though really, no amount of pre-Camino prep and training will be enough to set you up well enough to get your first one done perfectly right, so don't feel too annoyed ...

Great job mate, and thanks for the updates !!

Great thread for those of us carrying more than just the rucksack over each hill and mountain!

I've just been starting my training, and did my first ten mile morning in the mountains this past weekend, having done most of my miles so far on a flat cycle path running alongside a river. It does take a big hit on the pace once you go off road and the terrain has a few more undulations.

I also agree with your views on rain gear - I learned never to bother with waterproof trousers (unless I wanted to be unsure whether my bladder had taken an unusual release), and the rain jacket is only a last resort if things get really heavy. My problem is my back sweating, and on my first camino, with a rucksack that was flat against the back, I had to plastic pack everything in the rucksack to prevent it getting drowned in back sweat! With a bit more of a frame to hold the back off the back, this is now better, but as I'd always have a bivvy bag anyway, I put all the rucksack contents in that.

Thank you for your thoughts and experience Mark....I suppose my question is - Which camino next?

Update: I walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela starting September 20 and ending November 02,2017. This was the hardest thing, physically, I have ever done. I found, after two years of research and planning, that I got many things wrong. This hurts to admit since I am a retired engineer. I had written that I had gone to the gym everyday for two years and lifted a lot of weights and walked on treadmill for 3 Miles a day. I can tell you I learned the hard way on day one that walking on a tread mill is nothing like walking the Camino. Most people would tell me they had a much harder time with the down hill walking but for me the up hill was always much harder from beginning to end because of my lack of fitness.
Some of the many things I got wrong;
- 70 liter pack was way to big. I tried to carry all my “stuff” (40 pounds in pack) for the first few days and it darn near killed me. Thank god I found out about bag transport. I transported my bag for a couple of weeks until I got in better shape and got rid of many items I did not need. One issue I could not loose was my 6 pound CPAP machine. If I do this again I would use a 40 liter pack and get a travel CPAP.
- my trainng was all wrong. I should have been walking outside on trails and much less tread mill. I should have walked longer than 3 Miles a day and on hills.
- I should have walked for Miles in my rain gear. I bought lite weight breathable rain gear and found out in Spain that when wearing it I would sweat so much that I may as well just get wet from the rain. I ended up not wearing my rain pants due to the sweating. Next time I would just take a lite poncho.
- as I had stated in earlier threads I am 6’2” and weighed 320 pounds. I stayed in Albergues 90 percent of the time and then hotels in bigger city’s on rest days. I never had an issue on the bunks, I always got bottom, being to short or small. I found the bunks to be just fine for me.
I thought I could walk the guide book stages but found the first few weeks I was walking 8 to 15k due to fitness. Later I would walk 15 to 22k a day. I would walk fewer k’s many more hours than others due to my slow walking. I would meet people and walk with them a few minutes but then they would move on due to my slow pace. I would meet new people each night at the Albergue since ones I had met the night before would be a village or two beyond me the next night.

I wanted to quit everyday the first week out but my family back home kept telling me to keep going and I would be mad at myself if I quit. I kept going and it got easier after about 10 days. I will not lie to you it is hard but so very much worth it.

I could type for hours about what I did wrong and what I got right, etc but will cut it short.

Walking the Camino was one of the best thinks (things)I have ever done.

Best of luck to all of you larger folks looking to walk the Camino.
What you did that was right is that you persevered and didn't quit on yourself. Cudo to you. !!! Buen Camino 😉

Great thread for those of us carrying more than just the rucksack over each hill and mountain!

I've just been starting my training, and did my first ten mile morning in the mountains this past weekend, having done most of my miles so far on a flat cycle path running alongside a river. It does take a big hit on the pace once you go off road and the terrain has a few more undulations.

I also agree with your views on rain gear - I learned never to bother with waterproof trousers (unless I wanted to be unsure whether my bladder had taken an unusual release), and the rain jacket is only a last resort if things get really heavy. My problem is my back sweating, and on my first camino, with a rucksack that was flat against the back, I had to plastic pack everything in the rucksack to prevent it getting drowned in back sweat! With a bit more of a frame to hold the back off the back, this is now better, but as I'd always have a bivvy bag anyway, I put all the rucksack contents in that.

Thank you for your thoughts and experience Mark....I suppose my question is - Which camino next?
For me it would be the Frances again. I loved it (more so in hind site than when I was doing it). Since I use a CPAP I would want the better infer structure. Have a blast out there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back