• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to SJPP

Sheila Boyer

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in 2012 and will again in April 2015
We are flying into Bilbao April 18 and trying to figure out how to get to SJPP. if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. We would be attempting to get there on Sunday 19.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My travel from Bilbao til SJPdP may 2014 (2014- schedule and prices)

Bilbao airport to Bilbao centro
The stop for the Bizkaibus 3247 is outside arrivals and runs into central Bilbao at 30 minute intervals from 06:15 to midnight.

Bilbao bus central to Pamplona
From terminal de autobuses - Termibus track 15-18
La Union http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/en/index.asp
(13:00, 15:30, 18:00, 20:30) Departure at 13:00 fits well for the next bus from Pamplona.
Price 14:75 Euro

Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port
Pamplona bus central, Calle de Yanguas y Miranda, 2 (underground)
ALSA/CONDA bus departure at 17:30
http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules/international/?searchType=international
Price 20 Euro

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thankyou for posting this option. It looks like this could work for us. We have discovered flying into Bilbao was probably not the best idea.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Another option:

Bus Bilbao-San Sebastián (aka Donostia) with PESA (http://www.pesa.net)
Bus Donostia-Bayonne with PESA too.
Train Bayonne-Saint Jean Pied de port (although due to works on the tracks you have to change in Cambo les Bains from a train to a bus). Take a look at the web of the SNCF (http://www.sncf.com) for info about schedules and fares.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thankyou all for your help. We have opted for a hassle free option and booked transport with Caroline of Express Bourricot. Appreciated all your suggestions. Now that all the snags have been worked out, the excitement is mounting. We can't wait to start our Camino

We have discovered flying into Bilbao was probably not the best idea.
I think flying into Bilbao is a terrific idea! It's a smallish town with enough to see to make it perfect for a day or two to recover from jet lag. The old town is delightful for strolling, the public transportation is terrific and effective, and the museum is world famous, if small.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am excited to be in Bilbao and excited to visit Guggenheim museum!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back