• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bit of trivia ,Worlds longest continuous walking route.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A young Italian lad cycled most of it this year but had to abandon the trip because of the war in Ukraine. A very interesting trip, you can find it here.

Wonder why... the route never gets into Ukraine and even at the narrowest point - its about 100miles to the Ukrainian border....
Oh Well...
On my part I can absolutely state that given the facts I am walking FROM Magadan to Cape Town not the other way around :)

Yeah - this image and ensuring discussion pop up regularly in all of my "hiking" forum pages. Would be cool to attempt something like that - but also extremely dangerous. Certainly not a safe route like the Camino Frances!
I give you Camino Magadan 🤣

as to extremely dangerous and not as safe as CF... well... nothing is truly 'safe' and I would not call it EXTREMELY Dangerous (Russian people are quite friendly and would help a person in need.... just like anyone else on this route would)
Its own challenges - this route will unquestionably have ....

Attachments

• Camino Magadan.JPG
    Camino Magadan.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 22
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wonder why... the route never gets into Ukraine and even at the narrowest point - its about 100miles to the Ukrainian border....
Oh Well...
On my part I can absolutely state that given the facts I am walking FROM Magadan to Cape Town not the other way around :)
No but Europeans were being hassled in Russia and he was afraid he would be arrested if he continued.

I give you Camino Magadan 🤣

as to extremely dangerous and not as safe as CF... well... nothing is truly 'safe' and I would not call it EXTREMELY Dangerous (Russian people are quite friendly and would help a person in need.... just like anyone else on this route would)
Its own challenges - this route will unquestionably have ....
Did I say Russian people are dangerous? Nope. I did not. I have found all the Russian people I have met to be wonderful people.

But are many of the jungle and war torn and terrorist infested regions that this trail goes through dangerous? You bet!

Of course nowhere is COMPLETELY safe - but I will take my chances in Spain and other much safer hiking routes, thank you very much!

Depending on your passport there could be some challenging visas for this route, specifically Sudan and Russia (for the amount of time needed to walk across basically the entire country).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Worlds longest continuous route get going.

2014 or earlier, I read about the plans of some company to build a bridge from Siberia to Alaska. I thought, great, I can see the whole world without flying! Imagine taking this route then continuing on to Patagonia! Bonus if you slog through the Darien gap instead of taking a ferry.

Found this youtube video to sum up the challenges one would face with walking in this route. I left out deserts, siberia winter temps, and disease - but you could always carry anti-malarials and anti-venom in your first aid kit I suppose! I did take anti-malarials when I hiked in South America - overkill for the hike I was doing for sure - but I couldn't risk getting sick.

Bonus if you slog through the Darien gap instead of taking a ferry.

No continuous travel north to south in the Americas. The Pan-American which runs south from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina - the southernmost city in South America - has a 66 mile gap in it*. Google Maps shows the rather innocuous end of the northern section in Panama. Not one sign just a footbridge over to a church.

*According to Wikipedia, someone did travel the 60 miles but it took them 741 days to do it.

** There is also a bit of history to that gap, including one country betting the farm on it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A number of notable crossings have been made on foot. Sebastian Snow crossed the Gap with Wade Davis in 1975 as part of his unbroken walk from Tierra del Fuego to Costa Rica. The trip is documented in his 1976 book The Rucksack Man and in Wade Davis's 1996 book One River. In 1981, George Meegan crossed the gap on a similar journey. He too started in Tierra del Fuego and eventually ended in Alaska. His 1988 biography, The Longest Walk, describes the trip and includes a 25-page chapter on his foray through the Gap. In 2001, as a part of his Goliath Expedition—a trek to forge an unbroken footpath from the tip of South America to the Bering Strait and back to his home in England—Karl Bushby (UK) crossed the gap on foot, using no transport or boats, from Colombia to Panama.[citation needed]

In July 1996, as part of their hitchhiking trip to Ushuaia through 17 Latin American countries, Walter Bläs, Ana Cravioto, Albrecht von der Recke and Gustavo Ross crossed from Panama to Colombia, becoming the first Mexicans to cross the Gap on foot, according to the visitors log kept since 1946 in Púcuro. The night of 28 July, they survived the Hurricane Cesar–Douglas in the jungle somewhere between Paya and Palo de las Letras. Accompanied by 11- and 13-year-old Lico and Juan from Paya, the survivors reported several big trees falling around them and river levels rising up to 3 meters (10 feet) that night.[citation needed]

First Mexican by-foot crossers take a rest by the "Lost Corvair" abandoned 1961 by a caravan from Chicago.
In 1979, evangelist Arthur Blessitt traversed the gap while carrying a 3.7-meter (12 ft) wooden cross, a trek confirmed by Guinness World Records as part of "the longest round the world pilgrimage" for Christ. Traveling alone with a machete plus one backpack crammed with water bottles, a hammock, Bible, notepad, lemon drops and Blessitt's signature Jesus stickers saying "Smile! God Loves you", Blessitt describes his experience in a book, The Cross, and in a full-length movie with the same title.[36][37][38][39]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's well worth reading that guy's blog, he had some hairy experiences coming through Africa, also met some wonderful people.

Most read last week in this forum

Today I arrived in one of my favourite cities in Italy, Palermo, ready to start a solo walk across Sicily on the Magna Via Francigena tomorrow! It’s a ~185km trail from Palermo to Agrigento that I...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.