• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blessing Bags for fellow Peregrinos.

Lisa Cook

Time of past OR future Camino
(fall 2014)
I am planning to walk this fall in memory of my son as we had hoped to do it together.

One of the things our family would like to do is make small "Blessing Bags" for someone like Ivar to give to fellow pilgrims.
We plan on filling a large suitcase with ziplock bags full of little things someone might need such as a tiny sewing kt, small bottle of bodywash/shampoo, bag of peanuts, pen wrapped with a few feet of duct tape, bandaids, sock liners etc.
I would love to hear from people who have done the walk what kinds of things would be good to include.

I also need someone to leave them with before I start who can either put them out or distribute them.
I could probably give them all away myself at the beginning, but I think they would be more of a blessing to a person who had been walking for many days.

My young daughters are making little pictures and cards with encouragement to add and I think the whole project makes them feel like a part of the preparation for the journey. We made bags for the homeless, bags for students and even frozen wet towel Bags during a vacation with a heat wave in NYC one year and everyone really appreciated them.
Thank you in adance for any suggestions. Lisa315509_10150339103153157_715443156_8361446_863533647_n.jpg blessing bags.jpg blessing bags.jpg 315509_10150339103153157_715443156_8361446_863533647_n.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum. What a kind and generous idea. If you are planning to walk from St. Jean you could ask to leave them at the pilgrim office there as most if not all pilgrims go there to get their first stamp and other information. Keep the bags small as most pilgrims are watching the weight they carry and the amount of available room in their packs. A sewing kit, bandaids, pen with duct tape would be good, I would avoid peanuts or other foodstuff in case of allergies. Others will add to this list so pick the best and keep it small and light.
Buen Camino.

Welcome Lisa, what a moving message and a lovely thought. My heart goes out to you.

I like your idea of a tiny sewing kit. I am also thinking of the things I usually have to replace somewhere along the camino because they wear out or go missing - rubber stoppers for my walking sticks (size is pretty universal), earplugs, plastic hair comb, pegs or little packs of nappy-style safety pins, pocket packs of tissues (doubles as toilet paper, very handy when the bar has run out).

If you want them distributed further along the camino than at SJPDP perhaps at the Confraternity of St James albergue at Rabanaul? You might be able to make contact with them through the Confraternity website in the UK.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Lisa, a lovely and moving idea, Ivar is based near Santiago so at that stage people will be ending their camino, wayfarer's suggestion of the Pilgrim Office in St Jean seems like a better idea of a 'drop off' point for the packs.
My suggestions would be: ear plugs, clothes pegs ( the Carrefour supermarket in St. Jean sells packs of 36 very small, light ones for about €3 ), plain buffs ( about €2 ), small safety pins, small soap bars and assorted mini toiletry items.
If you make contact with the Pilgrim Office in St Jean, they might be able to arrange for the items to be available on a 'donativo' basis so those peregrinos who have more money than time and have managed to overlook getting some items before leaving home could make a contribution towards the running costs of an important pilgrim facility.
It would be more problematical getting some of the packs to an intermediate location but maybe one of the parochial albergues like Granon might be willing to facilitate if you were able to make contact, assuming a very light weight for the individual packs than posting a small parcel of them before you leave home mightn't be very expensive.

Sorry that you will be undertaking your Camino under the shadow of a tragic loss and hoping you will be able to find some solace along the way.

Seamus

Last edited:
What a beautiful act, Lisa!

I actually like the idea of food. So many times I get a funny taste in my mouth, or need a sugar/salt/fat hit. There are alternatives to peanuts. I have seen (here in Australia) small 20g packets with dried apricots or dried coconut. Single mints or sweets like Mentos are good as well. And those single sachets with a vitamin/mineral tab or powder that fizz in water (Berocca, Eboost etc) are a great source of electrolytes.

If weight is a concern, when I travel, instead of a full sewing kit I sometimes just take a few safety pins plus a fine needle with black thread and a large needle with DENTAL FLOSS. The latter patches a multitude of disasters!

Add a small message explaining who the family is with a twitter account for peregrinos who want to thank you.

Last edited:
What a kind and generous gesture! It would be so nice to be given a small bag with goodies like dried fruit or a shampoo/conditioner and a note of encourgagement. And doing it someways down the camino would be wonderful, that's when you need something special. I like Hals idea of adding a small message explaining who the family is and a twitter account where people can reach you.
I hope the camino will give you comfort, I'm sorry for the your loss and my heart goes out to you. Buen Camino to you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you to everyone for their ideas and kind words. We really enjoy doing it and end of receiving a blessing ourselves. . Just got some plastic covers for people to keep their credential protected, tissue packs, wet wipes, small baby powder and little powder things to flavor bottled water.
The sewing kits are a very small (1 inch square) card with several different colors of thread, a needle, tiny safety pin and two buttons. I will be adding larger, more useful safety pins and possibly a tiny (snack size zip lock) of homemade laundry detergent.
I will post picture of the bags as I get them together.
So many of our friends have offered to help, we are also considering doing a scholarship of a sort to help defray the costs for someone who is unable to do the camino for financial reasons.
Lisa

This is what I would like to receive midway through the Camino: small containers of good shampoo and conditioner, as my hair was always in a bad state, and all the toiletries in the local shops were in normal size containers. Ditto, hand cream, as my hands were always dry with washing clothes every day. OK, these are little luxuries that we can do without, I know!

As to WHERE to receive them: I visited a kind of meditational centre in the middle of Castrojeriz. It is run by an altruistic couple who welcome pilgrims during the day and offer drinks and fruits and a sit in their cosy lounge or sunny back garden. Unfortunately, I don't know their name - others might. It is not far from La Taberna Restauarant and a new B & B run by Australians called Casa Grevillea.

M.

What a generous and touching idea, Lisa. The suggestions above are all good, and I can't offer any others except to wish that your kindness has a ripple effect... Blessings to you and your family, and may you have a peaceful and healing Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning to walk this fall in memory of my son as we had hoped to do it together.

One of the things our family would like to do is make small "Blessing Bags" for someone like Ivar to give to fellow pilgrims.
We plan on filling a large suitcase with ziplock bags full of little things someone might need such as a tiny sewing kt, small bottle of bodywash/shampoo, bag of peanuts, pen wrapped with a few feet of duct tape, bandaids, sock liners etc.
I would love to hear from people who have done the walk what kinds of things would be good to include.

I also need someone to leave them with before I start who can either put them out or distribute them.
I could probably give them all away myself at the beginning, but I think they would be more of a blessing to a person who had been walking for many days.

My young daughters are making little pictures and cards with encouragement to add and I think the whole project makes them feel like a part of the preparation for the journey. We made bags for the homeless, bags for students and even frozen wet towel Bags during a vacation with a heat wave in NYC one year and everyone really appreciated them.
Thank you in adance for any suggestions. LisaView attachment 10992 View attachment 10991 View attachment 10991 View attachment 10992
What a really lovely idea this is....thankyou for sharing with us. Buen Camino Lisa.

Thank you in adance for any suggestions. LisaView attachment 10992 View attachment 10991 View attachment 10991 View attachment 10992
Greetings Lisa, I leave in a few days for the camino starting in Mauleon towards ST.Jean Pied. Send me your son's name and I will keep him in prayer, thought as I travel the Camino and will leave his name at the Cruz de ferro. niel+

May you receive rich blessings as a consequence of your kindness.Also my condolences,i know the pain of losing children. May God`s hand be upon you in all things. M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May God bless you and your family Lisa and may your camino be a kindness to you. Buen Camino

Hi Lisa. This is a lovely idea and so kind. I like the nappy pin suggestion. If the kids could produce some little tag (like a key fob) to attach to the pin it would make a great backpack decoration even when not being used for hanging damp socks etc. I remember on my first Camino the pilgrims who had stayed in L'Esprit du Chemin in SJPP kept some kind of plastic tape they'd got there to decorate their packs over the whole Camino. :)

thanks again everyone for your kind words and suggestions.
Here are some pictures of our first bag contents and supply closets we have set up. One for food and one for personal care and one for first aid.
I got plastic covers so people can protect their Credentials also. If anyone would like one of these, I would be glad to send you one -- here in US.

My son's name was Trey. He passed away June 18, 2013. He was one month shy of his 17th birthday.

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403494340.084503.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403494376.367253.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403494392.348750.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403494405.769670.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here are some more pictures from Blessing Bag projects we have done in the past.

One is a card that says "Hope" and has a verse on it. My youngest daughter's name is Hope, she wants to make cards that say, " You have been Blessed by Hope!"
Well, my older daughter, who is quite a pistol, not to be outdone says, "My card is going tlo say, 'If you have a problem you can go to Helen Cook"
' hopecard.jpg makingbb.jpg bbsample.jpg blessing bags.jpg " (get it---sounds like "Go to He#l and cook"

Oh my, never a dull moment
Lisa Cook

They look terrific Lisa. Hope you and your girls gets to walk the path together some day, and as you go share memories of a son and brother.

Lisa-
My condolences on the loss of your son. What a beautiful & kind way to honor his life. I am currently on the camino Frances (Palas De Rei) and have tears in my eyes as I've read your first post and all of the replies!
I just wanted to reiterate how precious the little pocket packs of tissue are; I myself have given away a pack here and there to a pilgrim in need.
Best to you and your beautiful family!

Kerstin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lisa - you, your family and friends are an inspiration. I know the sadness you are feeling. I just find this an amazing gift of love from you to strangers. The idea is a wonderful way of not only remembering your child but celebrating his life, and it helps others to face their grieving process in a positive way as well. I would consider it an honour to be given a remembrance bag and I would love to have his name included in the bag so I could take it to Cruz de Ferro. Blessings, prayers and love to all of you.

We have alot more ideas: afew little post-it notes so you can leave a note someone to let someone know who you are, or a note of thanks to your alburque. a blister kit, gaterade electrolyte powder, a bandana, eyeglass repair kit, pillowcase, a rosary, a euro, tiny flshlight. Obviously, all bags won't contain all goodies, but we are really enjoying this

Anyone who would like a Credential portfolio or a Blessing Bag of their own, just email me with your name, address and preference of what type of kit you would like (first aid, personal care, food or what we call "the mixed Blessing" (sorry for the bad pun.)

my email is TRLCook2 at yahoo dot com

Lisa

A great idea. As wayfarer said keep them small and light. I would leave out the things a sensible pilgrim would have already like a flash-light and include the tiny luxuries. Sriyantra's suggestion of a pebble with Trey's name on it sounds good to me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Found a promotional company that makes rubber "jar openers" out of old tires. I thought these would be great for sink stoppers. I can also have a message printed on them.

Attachments

• RecycledGrippers_sm.jpg
    RecycledGrippers_sm.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 6
The 'round' ones would be great. Brilliant idea. The things most needed maybe part way through a pilgrimage are the diaper pins (or similar), small combs - they get lost or broken, pencils and rubbers, even mini notebooks - as stationery can be difficult or expensive to replace except in the larger towns.
Buen Camino

Another potential foodstuff - ginger. They cover a multitude of stomach ailments. Dried ginger (with or without crystallised sugar) is delicious. I particularly love the pickled ginger sachets served with sushi, this sort of thing:
http://sushitoyou.com.au/pickled-ginger-mini-sachet-5gm/
They weigh maybe 5g each. My local Japanese restaurant kindly orders a bag of them for me every month along with their stock!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
thanks again everyone for your kind words and suggestions.
Here are some pictures of our first bag contents and supply closets we have set up. One for food and one for personal care and one for first aid.
I got plastic covers so people can protect their Credentials also. If anyone would like one of these, I would be glad to send you one -- here in US.

My son's name was Trey. He passed away June 18, 2013. He was one month shy of his 17th birthday.

View attachment 11073View attachment 11074View attachment 11075View attachment 11076
Lisa to say I have been touched by your thread is an understatement. I have been thinking about you and your generosity ever since your first post. I said I would be honoured to walk with the name of your son with me to put at Cruz de Ferro. Today I embroidered Trey's name on some calico material to take with me in September. I also embroidered a sailing ship with the rays of the sun shining on the ship and him. I just feel he is a young Ulysses from the Tennyson poem. Ulysses was a symbol for all who wander and roam the Earth and even though Trey isn't here in the physical sense his spirit certainly is, through you.

I do not wish to take anything away from the Blessing Bags and Lisa, but if anyone would like me to embroider their loved one on the "flag" I would be more than happy to do so. As I said, it will go with me from St Jean Pied de Port and I will leave it at the Cruz de Ferro early October. If you would like me to embroider something to go with the name then just tell me, otherwise I will put in something myself. This is just a "ripple" from Lisa. Post names here or send me a PM. I will post a picture of the "Remembrance Flag" before I leave and with grace from above, I will post a photo of it at Cruz de Ferro in early November.

Ripples are amazing things Lisa....

Trey.JPG

Thank you so much. I can't even say.
Trey got an application in the mail today from the Citadel with a special note inside from the former president of the college who we had met on a trip to Charleston while back.

Here is the front of the cards we are going to include. For the back, we are going to put something about Trey, but not any contact information so it can be truly anonymous and no one feels obligated to "Pay" for it. A true blessing has no strings attached. I had decided to use this verse and when I googled it, I found this lovely artist's renedering. I found her blog (it's wonderful.) and wrote to her and asked her if I could use it. She wrote back and not only said yes, but offered to design the back--for free. Her name is Emily Vanhoff (EmilyVanhoff.com.) Please, check her site out. Also, any ideas on how to word the back. Something like,
Blessings to you on your Journey. This small bag is given to you in loving memory of our dear son and brother Trey.

upload_2014-6-28_14-22-41.png

Another option for the back is a quote that Trey had in his room. Just a little something for people to think about while they walk that day.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”--Marianne Williamson

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back