• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crinkly Plastic Bags

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 11 Caminos 8100km
A pet peeve, particularly as a regular Camino walker who starts early and goes to bed early. Increasingly, walkers are packing their gear in crinkly plastic bags and both packing their bags late in the evening or early in the morning, disturbing others in dorms. This is a plea for walkers to use less noisy packing bags and also to do as much packing as possible early in the evening so that only a few essentials are left to be packed before bed or in the morning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The few times I stayed in albergues, I packed as much as I could the night before then grabbed everything in the morning and took it all to the common room or lobby if there wasn't one, to sort and pack away from everyone else. Even with my limited albergue experience I thought that was the polite thing to do.

On this topic of noises, phones should always be on silent (including turning off the typing noises and send message swooshes) and alarms set to vibrate/pulse only.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Biodegradable bags tend to be less noisy as they have a starch filling in them. Problem though is they are designed to fail so often do.

Earplugs as an alternative?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On a trip to Paris several years ago, the town was abuzz with an experiment conducted by the city government. The police took a small scooter, removed its muffler, and drove it seven miles across town at 2 am roughly following the route of the No. 1 Metro line. They did this to gain support for their upcoming hardline stance on modified mufflers. Some 240,000 people reported being woke up by the noise.

While this an extreme example, it never ceases to amaze me how one clueless/thoughtless/self-centered person can disturb the peace and quiet of so many others. Which begs the question, why should so many people be required to wear earplugs to appease the clueless/thoughtless/self-centered conduct of just one person?

it never ceases to amaze me how one clueless/thoughtless/self-centered person can disturb the peace and quiet of so many others. Which begs the question, why should so many people be required to wear earplugs to appease the clueless/thoughtless/self-centered conduct of just one person?
Amen.
The 'if this bothers you, wear earplugs' defense is entitled selfishness - which sadly seems on the rise everywhere. Whatever happened to making an effort to be considerate of others? (Rhetorical question...)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me, the difference is whether #1 someone at least tries not to make much noise (and fails, maybe even because they don't realize how noisy they actually are) vs. #2 someone who simply doesn't care.

#1 Happens often and I don't really mind. We're all sometimes guilty of making mistakes or disturbing others without intention. I know I have.

Also, in a room full of sometimes dozens of strangers it will be somewhat noisy. Up to a point I consider that normal, and those who prefer an absolutely quiet room should consider to stay in private rooms.

With the #1 kind of pilgrims, it makes sense to talk to them in a friendly, non-accusatory way and give some hints. There's a good chance they simply were not aware they were disturbing others or didn't know strategies to be less loud.

Some people for example have a very good sleep and can't imagine that others will wake up because of their "low volume" wake up alarm or even a vibrating phone, let alone a plastic bag or a head lamp.

Some are louder than others because of cultural background and don't even notice that their whisper is louder than someone else's shouting, so to speak.

Same with other bad behaviour - Many people for example are not aware that tissues as well as banana and orange peels take ages to rot. They honestly think it's not littering to throw things like that into nature because it is "natural" and will rot. And so on. Lack of education, lack of sensitivity, lack of awareness, but no bad intentions.

#2 Happens less often. Sadly, with this kind of people, no matter what you say or do, or how angry you get, or what rules are pinned to the dorm rooms, they'll keep on doing what they do and they'll always think it's their right. Some even enjoy it and will accuse you of being the bad guy when you ask them to maybe pack their suitcase outside the dormitory, instead of inside, at full room light, with plastic bags, at 5am, while *everyone* else including the other early risers is still in their beds. Some will even have fun waking up/disturbing everyone. Very rare, but sadly happens.

Only thing that helps in such cases is earplugs and avoiding to stay at the same places.

I personally think it helps to usually assume #1 - Most people who are noisy don't want to be, and are not lacking respect, but knowledge, skills and maybe gear (when you're on a low budget, that ultralight drybag that makes no sounds maybe is not affordable, when you're tired the idea of packing outside of the dorm might not occur to you, as a total Camino beginner many are less organized and have no routine, when you're used to set up an alarm each morning all your life the idea that you do not have to do so in the Camino might not have come to mind, and so on).

I prefer to assume that to assuming the worst, which is that everyone who rustles with a bag must be an inconsiderate *#€@#-!...

Last edited:
If you cannot manage being in contact with other people with crinkly bags, save up and pay for private accommodation.
i am sorry, I do not know how to be more kind in response.
Of course I recall the crinkliest bag person in my five or so caminos, but he turned out to be quite an endearing person and joined us for a lovely farewell meal in our albergue in Santiago!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, it is annoying. Sleeping in an albergue is less expensive and creates community, but it also comes with tradeoffs. You are sleeping in a room with other people. As you travel along the Camino you identify things that are good and bad practices. Hopefully by the end the offending bag rustler will become a magical Camino whisperer who is so quiet he seems to disappear in the morning without a trace! Of course by then, we will all reach Sarria and be joined by new and inexperienced bag rustlers to restart the learning curve...

Amen.
The 'if this bothers you, wear earplugs' defense is entitled selfishness - which sadly seems on the rise everywhere. Whatever happened to making an effort to be considerate of others? (Rhetorical question...)
Entitled selfishness is expecting everyone else to change their behaviour because you don't like it.

If I don't like the noise I wear earplugs, if I don't like the headlamps I wear a sleeping mask. It's my problem so I find my solution. I can't control what other people do but I can control my reaction to it.

If you cannot manage being in contact with other people with crinkly bags, save up and pay for private accommodation.
Of course I recall the crinkliest bag person in my five or so caminos, but he turned out to be quite an endearing person and joined us for a lovely farewell meal in our albergue in Santiago!
Aah, the 'crinklers'. I see both sides but I tend to agree @Kirkie. I also have an intense (possibly irrational) dislike of crinkly chocolate wrappers and noisy chip (aka crisp) eaters in my vicinity in the cinema. But when feelings of annoyance threaten to overtake me I reflect that it is in fact 'a shared space' - so I refrain from scolding or asking them to stop. Though I confess to the occasional 'glare', it's usually to the back of their heads, so it serves no purpose other than to satisfy my temporary righteousness. And, like your crinkly bag person in the albergue, the 'crinklers' in the cinema are more likely than not quite nice people. But it is also good to think of others ... just sayin' 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Aah, the 'crinklers'. I see both sides but I tend to agree @Kirkie. I also have an intense (possibly irrational) dislike for crinkly chocolate wrappers and noisy chip (aka crisp) eaters in my vicinity in the cinema. But when feelings of annoyance threaten to overtake me I reflect that it is in fact 'a shared space' - so I refrain from scolding or asking them to stop. Though I can confess to the occasional 'glare', it's usually to the back of their heads, so it serves no purpose other than to satisfy my temporary righteousness. And I'm prepared to accept, that like your crinkly bag person in the albergue, the 'crinklers' in the cinema are more likely than not quite nice people. But it is also good to think of others ... just sayin' 😘
I just decided to pack a 3rd.

Entitled selfishness is expecting everyone else to change their behaviour because you don't like it.
That's unrealistic.
And a potent source of distress.
I don't expect or demand of anyone to change the way they are, because that's tgeir business.

That said, a bit of consideration goes a very long way.. Blaming people for being distressed because of my bad behavior makes me doubly awful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In a perfect world, everyone would be considerate of everyone, but I’m sure people aren’t trying to be noisy, and as you know, when you’re half awake half asleep, noise seems to be amplified. You gotta expect this in dorm-like conditions and like others have said, maybe bring good earplugs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess I’m blessed with good sleep. I was always surprised to wake up in the morning and find everyone gone! Never understood how that happened, I never heard a thing! I could never pack up in the dark, and luckily I never had to. We usually left the albergue at 8, wandered over to the nearest café, had a leisurely breakfast, then started walking at 9. The added benefit was that nobody was around and we had the trail to ourselves for a few hours.

I walked this year with a lovely young guy, except that he complained almost every day about snorers in his dorm - but he was unwilling to use earplugs. I didn't say anything to him, but I did get tired of hearing his complaints when he wouldn't take any steps to mitigate the problem.

Most albergues are dormitories…multiple beds in a single room or rooms. I am so astonished to have people complain and whine about snorers, crinklers, early risers, etc. An earlier comment lamented the retort of “…wear ear plugs” as selfish entitlement. I think you have it reversed sir. What entitles you to quiet in a dormitory? A private room has some expectation of solitude, but not a dormitory by any standard I'm familiar with. Good earplugs work if properly worn. Get some.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't complain about noise in albergues, because I accept the foibles of others in the hope that they will do the same for mine. But I understand why they drive some people crazy ... if you getc woken up at 3 am you lie there thinking the kind of thoughts that come to mind at that eldrich hour. And as for earplugs ... I found that they permitted me to hear my heartbeat and the blood pumping in my veins. Better not.

This is one of those issues that will never be solved. We all have different levels of tolerance - and unfortunately some people have zero insight into their own impact on their surroundings. Personally I prepare leaving as soon as I have taken a shower after arriving, so waking up in the early morning I sneak out as silent as possible, carrying everything out in one take.

I walked this year with a lovely young guy, except that he complained almost every day about snorers in his dorm - but he was unwilling to use earplugs. I didn't say anything to him, but I did get tired of hearing his complaints when he wouldn't take any steps to mitigate the problem.
I have tried earplugs on a number of occasions and find them very uncomfortable, particularly as I sleep on my side or front rather than on my back

A selection of Camino Jewellery
as I was 65 when I first started Camino, I very swiftly gave up on a lot of problems and their solutions by simply going private as much as I could over the next 20 years. I considered myself a pilgrim and a loner and was happy to remain so. I was as civil as I could be to my fellow travellers and helpful when necessary. Even so I am a confirmed earplug user, even now. and I turn off my hearing aids too :)

Vaya con Dios

Samarkand.

At home my husband rustles cough drop wrappers every night before going to bed (says cough drops keep his head clearer for using his CPAP), it is an irritating little noise that wakes me if I am already asleep, but it has helped condition me for the Camino bag rustlers. Now if only he will set his alarm to ring without waking him, maybe I'll also get used to that, too.

Good_old_shoes is right, it's deeply cultural. People from direct cultures are uninhibited and spontaneous, and have no problem with annoying strangers justifiably or with reprimanding a stranger who annoys them.

Those from direct cultures are mortified if they cause offense, and would die rather than confront the offender.

The Camino is interesting because it brings together amicable those whose paths would never intersect in the real world. It takes all sorts.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Even dry bags rustle. I am a light sleeper and expect to be wakened by people in a dorm room. However, I am not happy if I have to listen to someone rustling or whispering for 10 minutes (or more), knowing that they could easily move to another room to do their rummaging. So, the best that people can do is to prepare as much as possible the night before, and then move out of the sleeping room

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Even dry bags rustle. I am a light sleeper and expect to be wakened by people in a dorm room. However, I am not happy if I have to listen to someone rustling or whispering for 10 minutes (or more), knowing that they could easily move to another room to do their rummaging. So, the best that people can do is to prepare as much as possible the night before, and then move out of the sleeping room
You do actually have a point. I have also noticed that the more people try to be quiet they often take longer.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It’s all in the expectation. If you expect a calm,quiet, uninterrupted sleep in a crowded public dormitory then you you will be sorely disappointed.. more than likely. It seems ridiculous to think that bag rustling would not happen. Along with coughing snoring and other acoustic delights. You may indeed feel deep gratitude for the 3 or 4 hours of sleep you did get in a low cost bed in a pilgrim shelter with bathing facilities. If you expect more restful sleep than this you will go private.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some people use the mesh bags that you use to wash lingerie in the washing machine.
The mesh bags make no noise whatsoever, and you can see what is inside and I love them. I use two and fold over the excess, pushing them down into my backpack liner, which is a white thick trash compactor bag. The bag does make a teeny weeny🤏 bit of noise, but not much.

One of my reasons to keep walking the Camino is to practice tolerance, especially as I get older....I really don't want to turn into a COP (cranky old person). If I find myself getting too irritated then it is time for a hotel or a detour onto a solitary path.

Maybe a slip of paper given with every credential a list of do's and don'ts of camino etiquette - could include albergue expectations, toileting enroute (LNT) rubber feet on poles etc etc!
But if anyone wants noise that drives you crazy try sleeping in huts/refugios where you bring your own sleeping mats🤣

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lately I've taken to oiling hinges and door handles. Which throughout any stay can be a source of unnecessary noise. The quietest early starters can defeat their efforts if a squeaky door is heard above all else. There are some dreadful ones, proper Hammer Horrors.

Available in the Chinese home suppliers are 2euro plastic oil bottles. Just touch and tilt and see the thirsty hinge absorb the oil. Your stay at the albergues has instantly improved.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mesh bags for me. Cheap and you can see your stuff. My poncho keeps everything dry when it rains, so no need for dry bags.

Funniest encounter was last year in Trabadelo. 2 young women on their first day, told us they would be leaving at 05:00, but that they would be very quiet. They were anything but quiet. They had a 100 plastic bags and worse, tin cups hanging from their packs which seemed to hit the metal frame of the bed every minute or so. Laid in bed, quietly giggling, smothered under my pillow, at their failed attempt to be quiet. Hopefully, they improved farther on, perhaps packing at night, but they truly did seem to be clueless at the noise they were making.

Lately I've taken to oiling hinges and door handles. Which throughout any stay can be a source of unnecessary noise. The quietest early starters can defeat their efforts if a squeaky door is heard above all else. There are some dreadful ones, proper Hammer Horrors.

Available in the Chinese home suppliers are 2euro plastic oil bottles. Just touch and tilt and see the thirsty hinge absorb the oil. Your stay at the albergues has instantly improved.
This reminds me of the Xunta alberge in A Gudina. A nice place, recently refurbished and a great Hospitalera, however the dormitory door was a heavy sliding thing more suited to an aircraft hanger than an albergue. The noise it made on opening or shutting, along with the sensor lights in the passage outside made the pilgrims night toilet trips a group activity. 😁

I’m pretty sure nobody is trying to be noisy on purpose. If anyone has issues, then they should wear earplugs.
Sorry or maybe not, I believe you could not be more off base. Each person’s camino I a their own. When you are in the albergue it is no longer about me but about all the pilgrims around you. It does not take any effort at all to take your things and walk out of the sleeping space to do your packing. With late night and early morning packing brings flashlights, lots of movement of bunk beds and at times unintentional walking or hitting your pack on beds. Consideration and respect for your fellow pilgrims should be paramount. Your personal wants and habits never supersede others.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Why should we pay for private rooms because other people are inconsiderate?

A pet peeve, particularly as a regular Camino walker who starts early and goes to bed early. Increasingly, walkers are packing their gear in crinkly plastic bags and both packing their bags late in the evening or early in the morning, disturbing others in dorms. This is a plea for walkers to use less noisy packing bags and also to do as much packing as possible early in the evening so that only a few essentials are left to be packed before bed or in the morning.
Some folks should probably not stay in albergues - those that can’t make an effort to be considerate of others staying there and those that can’t tolerate the involuntarily annoyances of the human condition (sneezing, snoring, coughing, etc). Private accommodations are a great alternative for these folks.

For me, the difference is whether #1 someone at least tries not to make much noise (and fails, maybe even because they don't realize how noisy they actually are) vs. #2 someone who simply doesn't care.

#1 Happens often and I don't really mind. We're all sometimes guilty of making mistakes or disturbing others without intention. I know I have.

Also, in a room full of sometimes dozens of strangers it will be somewhat noisy. Up to a point I consider that normal, and those who prefer an absolutely quiet room should consider to stay in private rooms.

With the #1 kind of pilgrims, it makes sense to talk to them in a friendly, non-accusatory way and give some hints. There's a good chance they simply were not aware they were disturbing others or didn't know strategies to be less loud.

Some people for example have a very good sleep and can't imagine that others will wake up because of their "low volume" wake up alarm or even a vibrating phone, let alone a plastic bag or a head lamp.

Some are louder than others because of cultural background and don't even notice that their whisper is louder than someone else's shouting, so to speak.

Same with other bad behaviour - Many people for example are not aware that tissues as well as banana and orange peels take ages to rot. They honestly think it's not littering to throw things like that into nature because it is "natural" and will rot. And so on. Lack of education, lack of sensitivity, lack of awareness, but no bad intentions.

#2 Happens less often. Sadly, with this kind of people, no matter what you say or do, or how angry you get, or what rules are pinned to the dorm rooms, they'll keep on doing what they do and they'll always think it's their right. Some even enjoy it and will accuse you of being the bad guy when you ask them to maybe pack their suitcase outside the dormitory, instead of inside, at full room light, with plastic bags, at 5am, while *everyone* else including the other early risers is still in their beds. Some will even have fun waking up/disturbing everyone. Very rare, but sadly happens.

Only thing that helps in such cases is earplugs and avoiding to stay at the same places.

I personally think it helps to usually assume #1 - Most people who are noisy don't want to be, and are not lacking respect, but knowledge, skills and maybe gear (when you're on a low budget, that ultralight drybag that makes no sounds maybe is not affordable, when you're tired the idea of packing outside of the dorm might not occur to you, as a total Camino beginner many are less organized and have no routine, when you're used to set up an alarm each morning all your life the idea that you do not have to do so in the Camino might not have come to mind, and so on).

I prefer to assume that to assuming the worst, which is that everyone who rustles with a bag must be an inconsiderate *#€@#-!...
Well said❤️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a lot of truth there

Would it not be equally valid to suggest that it is those who wish to engage in behaviour that reasonable people consider inconsiderate should be the ones to go to private accommodation?
Yes, of course the suggestion is valid. However, I do not expect to change the behaviour of the many strangers I encounter in life who do things I don't think are reasonable. Occasionally I might decide to speak up and take a stand on principle, but the situation of albergue noise is not a hill I would choose to die on. Caminos and life in general would be very stressful and my efforts mostly futile, if I tried to confront even a fraction of the people who annoy me.

Unfortunately, life is not fair, and there is no authority on the Camino to decide which behaviour is reasonable, and who "should" go to private accommodation on a given night. If we were on Big Brother, I suppose we could vote people out.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As you are lying there focusing on the guy making noise with his crinkly bag, perhaps, you might say to yourself what a privilege it is that you are on a very long walk with people from all over the world during which you GET to listen to them snore, cough, and sometimes cry all night long. How fortunate you are to listen to the tap, tap, tap of walking sticks at 5:30 a.m. or the really loud talker at dinner who laughs a little too much or the incessant Buen Camino, Buen Camino, Buen Camino. . . . As hard as it may be, try to enjoy every moment of it.

B
hope that no one gets the idea to do a Camino version of Big Brother!
The more I think about it, I realize that life on the popular Caminos is exactly like being on a reality show. The goal is slightly different, though, so most of the participants are able to be winners.

Thankyou to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. There are those who find it an affront to be asked to be as considerate as possible to their fellow walkers and there are others for whom this might just alert them to something of which they were unaware in their habits and for whom a simple change for the common good is a pleasure, not an affront.

Other issues have been raised, such as phone and head torch use, and I simply hope we can all be as considerate as possible within our shared spaces on our Caminos. It’s not that hard!

You do actually have a point. I have also noticed that the more people try to be quiet they often take longer.
You're right. The attempt to be slow and silent sometimes draws out the torture!
We have a family story told often about a little one who came into our bedroom one morning for a sweetie that was in one of our bags. For 5 minutes, we lay there, listening to the attempts to very quietly extract one sweetie from a bag and then open it, still in our room.
The shocked reaction when one of us said, "Just take it out of the room with you, already!" was priceless.
crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, crinkle - the efforts were so endearing but woke me up right away because I notice little sounds. I'm also famous in the family for having to figure out where a little rattle or other random sound is happening in the car and stopping it when we're on long trips.
So ear plugs are my way of dealing with that but I know they're not for everyone.

I stayed in a few albergues this year with a good system. Backpacks were not allowed in the dorms - you were given a bin to put the things that you would need during the night to take into the dorm. It was very easy to put all your things in the bin in the morning and take them to the common area to pack up.

I stayed in a few albergues this year with a good system. Backpacks were not allowed in the dorms - you were given a bin to put the things that you would need during the night to take into the dorm. It was very easy to put all your things in the bin in the morning and take them to the common area to pack up.
Halleluja!

The few times I stayed in albergues, I packed as much as I could the night before then grabbed everything in the morning and took it all to the common room or lobby if there wasn't one, to sort and pack away from everyone else. Even with my limited albergue experience I thought that was the polite thing to do.

On this topic of noises, phones should always be on silent (including turning off the typing noises and send message swooshes) and alarms set to vibrate/pulse only.
I lined my pack with a plastic bag to keep bed bugs from getting in. I had no idea how noisy it would be until I was using it. And then I did what you did, carrying the entire pack outside the dorm room as quietly as possible, so I wouldn't make crinkling noises right around people trying to sleep.
Do folks have a recommendation for a silent bed bug protection and to a lesser extent, water protection? I, of course, sprayed the pack with waterproofing and permethrin, but wasn't convinced that that would completely take care of either rain or bed bugs. Would be happy to hear if there is a silent alternative.

I lined my pack with a plastic bag to keep bed bugs from getting in. I had no idea how noisy it would be until I was using it. And then I did what you did, carrying the entire pack outside the dorm room as quietly as possible, so I wouldn't make crinkling noises right around people trying to sleep.
Do folks have a recommendation for a silent bed bug protection and to a lesser extent, water protection? I, of course, sprayed the pack with waterproofing and permethrin, but wasn't convinced that that would completely take care of either rain or bed bugs. Would be happy to hear if there is a silent alternative.
This 50 liter pack liner might do the trick.

Yes, of course the suggestion is valid. However, I do not expect to change the behaviour of the many strangers I encounter in life who do things I don't think are reasonable. Occasionally I might decide to speak up and take a stand on principle, but the situation of albergue noise is not a hill I would choose to die on. Caminos and life in general would be very stressful and my efforts mostly futile, if I tried to confront even a fraction of the people who annoy me.

Unfortunately, life is not fair, and there is no authority on the Camino to decide which behaviour is reasonable, and who "should" go to private accommodation on a given night. If we were on Big Brother, I suppose we could vote people out.
I came out as one who found the op opinion on the arrogant side. I agree with you about just grinning and bearing it. This is not a criticism but a fact of my life and others, I am sure. If I had to get private rooms many nights the camino would be beyond my economic means. I wish it wasn’t the case. So I put earplugs in every night and can still have a wonderful experience. But I do wish we would all think of others. That goes on the camino and hopefully to take it home in our lives off the camino.

A friend of mine who went to America and made millions in the reinsurance business did the Camino Frances a while back, staying in hotels and liked it. He did it again soon afterwards but this time he stayed in albergues, because, as he told me, that was where the craic is. You get what you don't pay for on the Camino.

Would it not be equally valid to suggest that it is those who wish to engage in behaviour that reasonable people consider inconsiderate should be the ones to go to private accommodation?
If you have determined that the people are inconsiderate, what makes you think they will be amenable to getting private accommodation to improve the quality of your experience? That doesn't seem to go with the territory of being inconsiderate. You can wish they would get private accommodations, mutter and fume all you want, perhaps complain loudly to all and sundry. But I doubt very much that will improve the quality of your experience, or that of the people you are complaining to. That's why people are suggesting things like earplugs that are actually within your realm of control.

Myself, I tend to try an implement the "reverse double standard". The typical double standard is, of course, to be lenient to our own failing but harsh on those we see in others. My preference is to be as considerate of others as possible. That's why I generally don't use the crinkly plastic bags (and if I have them, don't touch them at night or in the morning). If I am leaving early in the morning I will go to bed early and before going to bed pack everything except my sleeping bag liner and phone charger. I will leave the room quietly (without a flashlight) and complete the last bit of packing outside the dorm. That's my standard for me. On the other hand, I don't hold everyone else to my standard and try and be as understanding as possible to the fact that others have different ways of doing things. My seething won't hurt them at all. It will just hurt me. It may be a challenge to let go when a group of loud partiers comes in at 3 in the morning, waking everyone up. But the alternative would be to change a temporary waking to something that would keep me up the rest of the night thinking of what I wished I were saying to them. I'd rather be going back to sleep.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sharing spaces with others always means a certain degree of compromise. They might like things you don’t like while you do things they find puzzling. Finding common ground with others can be one of the great lessons the Camino can teach you.

Take the „early riser“ debate. My last Camino on the VdlP was during a tremendous heatwave and the few pilgrims walking at that time all agreed that a 4am start is the best tactic to avoid the heat. We set one alarm clock for the whole room, switched on the lights and got ready. Now imagine the situation that someone new fell in with our accommodation rhythm - and that person would want to sleep till 8am. That person might be very annoyed at the early morning ruckus whereas the others might be pretty upset that getting up and getting ready is now (in the dark, trying to be quiet) much harder.

With all these debates it’s always about finding common ground. Often there’s no objective „better“. Want to go to sleep at 9pm? Spaniards (or Italians) might be very loud for you in the evening because in these countries 9pm is when the evening starts. Annoyed at your companions getting up before dawn? That’s pretty normal for people in the serious hiking community. Half-naked people in the dorms - welcome to many European nations.

Being considerate and finding common ground is important - but when sharing spaces with people from so many nationalities / age groups, some of your sensitivities will be hurt. You can be mad about it or - as @David Tallan - mentions so eloquently above, expect these situations as part of the experience.

Such a lot of pointless hot air here. Really, haven't you people got anything better to do with your lives?
The only interesting comment was this
On a trip to Paris several years ago, the town was abuzz with an experiment conducted by the city government. The police took a small scooter, removed its muffler, and drove it seven miles across town at 2 am roughly following the route of the No. 1 Metro line. They did this to gain support for their upcoming hardline stance on modified mufflers. Some 240,000 people reported being woke up by the noise.
which reminded me of this

€149,-
And there are pilgrims who go to bed late and like to sleep as late as they can, and who can't help but hear early risers leave, no matter how quiet the attempt may be. Really, is there any pilgrims who hasn’t had their sleep interrupted at some point? Expect it to happen!

As long as there are shared accommodations, circumstances will exist which we all could complain about. Pilgrims do go to sleep at different times, get up at different times, relieve themselves during the night at-different times! Some snore. Some smell. Some are very sensitive to light or the slightest noise. Most of us try to be quiet and are courteous. A few are ignoramuses! Nevertheless, if you sleep in a common area expect disruptions. That is what you paid for! I do admire anyone who can sleep every night in a pilgrim dorm and then walk 20+ Kms daily!
My suggestion is when you start getting frustrated and grumpy during a camino, or are experiencing sleep deprvation, it may be time to get a private room for a night or two. But don’t expect less noisy plastic bags!? Or?

A private room doesn't guarantee quiet either, I have spent many nights in a hotel listening to the people in the next room or the room above, slamming doors, talking loudly, listening to music or the TV, etc. I have worked a large motorcycle rally for over 30 years and have had to listen to loud motorcycles and their riders talking and listening to music right outside of my camper at all hours of the night. After a long day of working or (walking the camino) I will just have to to tune it out.

A private room doesn't guarantee quiet either, I have spent many nights in a hotel listening to the people in the next room or the room above, slamming doors, talking loudly, listening to music or the TV, etc. I have worked a large motorcycle rally for over 30 years and have had to listen to loud motorcycles and their riders talking and listening to music right outside of my camper at all hours of the night. After a long day of working or (walking the camino) I will just have to to tune it out.

So true! I reckon over the years I have had as many restless nights in private rooms as in Albergues!
When I use private rooms I do so for 'privacy'.
There is no guarantee they will be quiet. :rolleyes:

Regarding the bag rustlers, I stayed in that great Donativo in Rabanal this year.
The one I can never pronounce.

Being early to arrive I managed to secure a lower bunk in the corner away from the door and bathroom.

I generally leave quite early.
Often the reason I use a private room.
That allows me to leave well before dawn without disturbing anyone.
But I wanted to try this place having heard so much about it.
So I planned to just leave when others did.

But the morning of departure at this Albergue had me smiling.
Well before dawn, people were tip toeing to the bathroom, getting dressed, packing etc.
All done with a great deal of care so as not to wake others.
Hardly any lights showing, and those that were, were well shielded.

After observing all the toing and froing for a while, I thought about getting up, but I'm not great at getting dressed and packed in the dark. (another plus for private rooms in my case)

It was then that I realised, in a room of 20+ people, only two 'appeared' to be still asleep! :rolleyes:
And me, still laying in bed, waiting for some dawn light to come through the windows.

But the other 17 were being very considerate.............. 🙂

I'm amazed there sre still countries with plastic bags?

Haha. I think the issue with plastic bags is not that they exist but that they have been free and freely available for so long that people don’t think about alternatives and so abuse their use. I use reusable bags for supermarkets etc but plastic bags are still useful in some situations. I use them to protect items like my sleeping bag in my backpack on wet days but I am careful to do so in a way that avoids disturbing other walkers. It was my post that started this thread and the intention was not to end the use of plastic bags, simply to ask walkers to be more considerate of others in a communal environment.

€149,-
I agree, almost all plastic bags are outlawed in Aoteroa New Zealand, certainly the ones that used to be given out in Supermarkets. We have returned to paper bags or reusable fabric bags. Clearly Spain hasn't yet followed our lead ;)

In Australia the supermarket 'ban' on plastic bags is merely a virtue signalling stunt to save money by not providing free bags. They go on about the good they are doing for the environment but the bags are still there, you just have to pay for them. And then there is all the food still wrapped in plastic.
Self interest disguised as altruism.

If I was a decade or 2 younger my reply to this post would be something Like:
"ok Boomer"
At first glance sounds like the issue is about "crinkly bags" but oh no, people have the nerve of packing late, and they pack early also. Seriously your highness?

I agree, almost all plastic bags are outlawed in Aoteroa New Zealand, certainly the ones that used to be given out in Supermarkets. We have returned to paper bags or reusable fabric bags. Clearly Spain hasn't yet followed our lead ;)
Many places in the US continue using plastic bags as they did 10-20 and 30 years ago, so let's don't be so critical about people that continue using them.

Why do we insist on dictating our way to everyone.
I have the time, resources and motivation to make my own pouches of an ultralight material. I started making them as a learning step to make more complicated gear. I got hooked and have them in every imaginable configuration not only for stuff that goes inside the backpack, but for the glovebox and trunk in the car, for the garage, the bathroom storage and as the "wrapping" of gifts. It would be ridiculous to look down to people using store-bought replacements for all those uses.

Is a good thing the camino provides people with all kinds of positivity.... This post would fit perfect on a thread titled AITA . But wait, OP is a "regular Camino walker" so their pet peeve has more validity right? How dare a newbie disturb their routine... and whoever disagrees is entitled. Seems like the formula applies to everything.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When staying in communal albergues the only person we can control is ourselves, which is why I wear earplugs. It was one of the first tips I learned on the forum and they really do help. They aren't always the most comfortable to use, but I am not waken up by snorers at night nor bag rustlers in the morning...a win win for me so I'm not frustrated by others' behavior.
That said, I won't mention loud partiers coming in late, or someone taking a very long shower while I wait my turn...I'm no saint.🙄

Regarding the bag rustlers, I stayed in that great Donativo in Rabanal this year.
The one I can never pronounce.

Being early to arrive I managed to secure a lower bunk in the corner away from the door and bathroom.

I generally leave quite early.
Often the reason I use a private room.
That allows me to leave well before dawn without disturbing anyone.
But I wanted to try this place having heard so much about it.
So I planned to just leave when others did.

But the morning of departure at this Albergue had me smiling.
Well before dawn, people were tip toeing to the bathroom, getting dressed, packing etc.
All done with a great deal of care so as not to wake others.
Hardly any lights showing, and those that were, were well shielded.

After observing all the toing and froing for a while, I thought about getting up, but I'm not great at getting dressed and packed in the dark. (another plus for private rooms in my case)

It was then that I realised, in a room of 20+ people, only two 'appeared' to be still asleep! :rolleyes:
And me, still laying in bed, waiting for some dawn light to come through the windows.

But the other 17 were being very considerate.............. 🙂
I was just there! Love this place!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"ok Boomer"
At first glance sounds like the issue is about "crinkly bags" but oh no, people have the nerve of packing late, and they pack early also. Seriously your highness?

Many places in the US continue using plastic bags as they did 10-20 and 30 years ago, so let's don't be so critical about people that continue using them.

I have the time, resources and motivation to make my own pouches of an ultralight material. I started making them as a learning step to make more complicated gear. I got hooked and have them in every imaginable configuration not only for stuff that goes inside the backpack, but for the glovebox and trunk in the car, for the garage, the bathroom storage and as the "wrapping" of gifts. It would be ridiculous to look down to people using store-bought replacements for all those uses.

Is a good thing the camino provides people with all kinds of positivity.... This post would fit perfect on a thread titled AITA . But wait, OP is a "regular Camino walker" so their pet peeve has more validity right? How dare a newbie disturb their routine... and whoever disagrees is entitled. Seems like the formula applies to everything.
Feeling better now?

"ok Boomer"

Actually, I read it as a simple request for people to be a little more considerate of their fellow roommates. As, clearly, did most others, judging by their responses.

Your reaction seems to be rather extreme, to say the least.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back