• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking advice from tall peregrinos on sleeping arrangements

Melbournepaul

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2024
Hola a todos! I'm doing the CF next June. I'm very excited but I do have a concern. I am 2.03m tall and nothing is worse than a footboard when trying to sleep. I am happy to get a private room each night in the hopes there might be a bigger bed, or no footboard. I'm walking in peak season so I know beds are still available but harder to come by, and I'd guess private rooms would be very scarce.

Any other tall peregrinos out there who can offer some insight, clever options?

Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola, or G'Day @Melbournepaul,
Whilst I too am tall but at just over 6ft (1.88 cm) I did not find the bunks or beds in the albergues that uncomfortable. However you at 2.0 metres plus, will find that your feet are hanging over the end of the bed, even if you have your head right up the other end.
From what I experienced in the places where I took a private room the beds were not extra long so as to accommodate men such as your self.
I know its not much help, but its the best I have. Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You’ll have better luck with private rooms and more upscale accommodations (casa rurals, hostels) that might have the occasionally longer or bigger bed (you can sleep diagonally!). Albergues have pretty standard, shortish beds and it they are bunk beds, it’s even worse.

You’ll have better luck with private rooms and more upscale accommodations (casa rurals, hostels) that might have the occasionally longer or bigger bed (you can sleep diagonally!). Albergues have pretty standard, shortish beds and it they are bunk beds, it’s even worse.
Thanks for the reply, mate. In peak season, would casa rurals and hostels typically be 'more vacant' than albergues? Looks like i might have to book ahead most nights. Was hoping to let the Camino provide, but i'll need good sleep along the way and cubby hole bunks and bunk beds won't work.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the reply, mate. In peak season, would casa rurals and hostels typically be 'more vacant' than albergues? Looks like i might have to book ahead most nights. Was hoping to let the Camino provide, but i'll need good sleep along the way and cubby hole bunks and bunk beds won't work.
You should be able too book a day or two ahead as you go.

Hola a todos! I'm doing the CF next June. I'm very excited but I do have a concern. I am 2.03m tall and nothing is worse than a footboard when trying to sleep. I am happy to get a private room each night in the hopes there might be a bigger bed, or no footboard. I'm walking in peak season so I know beds are still available but harder to come by, and I'd guess private rooms would be very scarce.

I'm 1m 90-something, and whilst things vary, footboards are in my experience uncommon.

There is an increasing tendency in some private Albergues to put each bunk in a private alcove, though I seem to recall only very few of them being too short inside (there was one like that on the Catalan Way, but it was in an older religious Albergue) ; most were quite comfortable length-wise.

Some of the older Municipal and Association places do have the older metal frame bunk beds still, and there you may have a problem.

But in most places you should be OK.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there,
While I am not tall nor have I walked the French most of my caminos have been done with my son who is 2 meters and who just walked the French this past July-August alone. I asked him about his experience. He can not remember any foot boards in albergues or private rooms.The majority of nights were in private albergues booked a couple nights in advance also a few xunta albergues with no booking allowed. Now a little observation as the wife and mom of tall men but not as tall as you, I have lived in Spain for almost 30 years and most beds here, in albergues and hotels, are 180-190cms in length my husband at just shy of 190 has rarely not hung over the bed, In chain hotels you might find 200cm beds. I don’t think booking ahead is going to guarantee you a bed long enough. The other thing my son mentioned was that as soon as he got to Sarria it was no longer possible to rely on booking 1-2 days ahead which is why he stayed in the xunta albergues. I hope this helps in your planning.
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

I'm 1m 90-something, and whilst things vary, footboards are in my experience uncommon.

There is an increasing tendency in some private Albergues to put each bunk in a private alcove, though I seem to recall only very few of them being too short inside (there was one like that on the Catalan Way, but it was in an older religious Albergue) ; most were quite comfortable length-wise.

Some of the older Municipal and Association places do have the older metal frame bunk beds still, and there you may have a problem.

But in most places you should be OK.
Thanks mate. Making feel much better about getting good sleep along the way. Short beds with no footboards are fine, beds with foot boards are not great but workable -- and beds in an alcove would be like sleeping on a submarine.🤣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have lived in Spain for almost 30 years and most beds here, in albergues and hotels, are 180-190cms in length my husband at just shy of 190 has rarely not hung over the bed, In chain hotels you might find 200cm beds.
There is an increasing tendency in Albergues on the Francès for beds between 200 & 220 cm, Hospitaleros and Albergue owners seem to have picked up on the fact that taller pilgrims will be coming through their pueblos.

A 190 cm bed is already uncomfortably short for me, and such beds were rare on the Francès in 2022 -- though a lot more common in the 1990s and 2000s.

I agree with JB above that the albergue situation is much better than it was 10+ years ago. But there are still a lot of albergues with metal bunks and these generally have metal railings at both ends as part of the structure. I'm only 186, so generally manage to get my toes through the gaps in the rails where necessary. But back in the day when the beds were shorter I just got used to sleeping diagonally across the bed. If you're really tired it's not a big deal - although there is some small likelihood of people bumping into your feet at night when using the facilities.. generally where the spaces are narrow and the dorm is dark (i.e. not one of the ones that has those big green EXIT signs that stay on all night...)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Buen camino!
I'm 2.00m, so I know what you are talking about. Going private is definitely a good idea. However there are several albergues that offer beds for us that are not vertically impaired.😅. Just of my head - the german albergue in La Faba, the private rooms in albergue orion in castrojeritz. Albergue Bercianos1900 in: yes Bercianos. Albergue Vino femita in Villefrancha del bierzo which has only long single beds. Albergue Gabino in El ganso. Albergue hidalgos in Hospital del orbigo. The places to avoid are older albergues with wooden bunkbeds. Generally you need to be fast - even shorter people go for the long beds and the lower bunkbeds.

Buen camino!
I am 195 cm and the bunks often seem snug. They have just enough room for me. Best wishes and Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen camino!
I'm 197cm and walked the French route in 2019. I'm walking again in 2024.

We mostly stayed in Albeurges and I would honestly say that the bunk beds were not a problem (mostly). The steel frames have plenty of gaps to sick your feet through and all you need is a little bit of padding. A spare blanket over the bottom bar is ideal. Is this perfect - well no. However, it was perfectly survivable for me - a bloke whose feet have hung off the end of beds since I was 14.

Those horrid base-boards are only common in the more upmarket accommodation.

Hi there,
While I am not tall nor have I walked the French most of my caminos have been done with my son who is 2 meters and who just walked the French this past July-August alone. I asked him about his experience. He can not remember any foot boards in albergues or private rooms.The majority of nights were in private albergues booked a couple nights in advance also a few xunta albergues with no booking allowed. Now a little observation as the wife and mom of tall men but not as tall as you, I have lived in Spain for almost 30 years and most beds here, in albergues and hotels, are 180-190cms in length my husband at just shy of 190 has rarely not hung over the bed, In chain hotels you might find 200cm beds. I don’t think booking ahead is going to guarantee you a bed long enough. The other thing my son mentioned was that as soon as he got to Sarria it was no longer possible to rely on booking 1-2 days ahead which is why he stayed in the xunta albergues. I hope this helps in your planning.
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

Thank you, it does help me. I will surely keep it in my mind. I appreciate the info. When I had to write a college essay, I felt lost because I didn't have much experience. But then, I discovered this amazing https://writinguniverse.com/ website. It's a great place with a wide range of examples on different topics. These examples were a big help for me, and I could use them to understand how to write my essay better. If you're struggling with your essays, this website is a fantastic resource to check out.
Thank you mam, it does help me. I will surely keep it in my mind. I appreciate the info.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the input! I don't mind my feet hanging off the bed, that's not the issue. It's footboards that are my only concern. Great advice from your son about booking ahead where possible and also staying in the xunta albergues. Sarria onward will be busy for sure. 👍

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back