• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blogging help needed!

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
For several years I have been using BlogTouch with my iPhone to post my blog. Suddenly it refuses to load photos. In 3 weeks I will be walking the Camino Frances from Burgos and I really want to blog every day. Any suggestions?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Polarsteps. Brilliant after your Camino get a great travel book.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I, too, loved Polar Steps. As one who had never blogged before it was a great way for me to capture my Camino and share it with family at home, and Camino family en route.

I used Find Penguins on my Camino last year, after reading several recommendations on this forum. I was very happy with the whole experience. I blogged every evening (when I had a wi-fi connection). There were about 25 "followers" back home who vicariously shared my daily adventures with me, and they, too, were delighted to wake up and read my blogs each morning. The basic plan is free, and it allows the user to upload unlimited text and up to 10 photos per day. I splurged for the next level plan ($4-something per month), which allowed me the same unlimited text and up to 20 photos per day. When I got back home, I ordered a travel book of my experience, all put together on the Find Penguins app with just a few clicks. My blogs formed the daily text of the book, and the photos I had submitted were all there, in chronological order. I absolutely love it - best souvenir of my Camino, and I can relive it anytime I want. It was $125, but it's worth every cent! I know there are similar apps out there, but Find Penguins worked beautifully for me and I highly recommend it. Buen Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Update on my issue: BlogTouch is working, but loading photos very, very slowly. I’d like to keep using it if I can. Thanks, though, for alternative suggestions which I may try if I am desperate.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Update on my issue: BlogTouch is working, but loading photos very, very slowly. I’d like to keep using it if I can. Thanks, though, for alternative suggestions which I may try if I am desperate.
I don’t use BlogTouch or any other blogging app. Googling for possible answers for your issue (slow loading of photos), I see that this could also have to do with either the file size of the photos or the overall size of your photo library on your iPhone and there are ways to reduce it. But I will leave it at that as I cannot verify anything I’d write.

Just to illustrate the general idea: we often see that people upload photos to this forum with a file size of several megabyte. In reality, for a good quality photo to be viewed on a webpage, a much smaller file size is sufficient, such as 400 kilobyte for example; this speeds up both upload (posting) and download (viewing). In a similar way, the size of the photo library on the iPhone can be reduced without loss of viewing quality because the originals can be kept in iCloud. So perhaps your photo library has grown too large on the iPhone and that is the underlying issue. But it is merely a suspicion that I have and I don’t know how all this is handled by BlogTouch. Apologies if it is too much technical information.

I don’t use BlogTouch or any other blogging app. Googling for possible answers for your issue (slow loading of photos), I see that this could also have to do with either the file size of the photos or the overall size of your photo library on your iPhone and there are ways to reduce it. But I will leave it at that as I cannot verify anything I’d write.

Just to illustrate the general idea: we often see that people upload photos to this forum with a file size of several megabyte. In reality, for a good quality photo to be viewed on a webpage, a much smaller file size is sufficient, such as 400 kilobyte for example; this speeds up both upload (posting) and download (viewing). In a similar way, the size of the photo library on the iPhone can be reduced without loss of viewing quality because the originals can be kept in iCloud. So perhaps your photo library has grown too large on the iPhone and that is the underlying issue. But it is merely a suspicion that I have and I don’t know how all this is handled by BlogTouch. Apologies if it is too much technical information.
Following on with these thoughts, have you considered using your phone's photo editing features, if they exist, to crop out a lot of unnecessary pebbles/grass/leaves at the sides of the photo? That background detail uses a lot of little bits n bytes. And modern phones make such huge photo files to begin with. Another thought, are you uploading through wifi? On a reasonably fast internet connection?
(I have a Blogspot blog, and I have had to install the actual app to my phone to make blogging from the phone work. But from inside the app I have no idea how to access other things like stats. So I win some and lose some, but not having to carry the 1 pound plus tablet along for the walk is very persuasive to me. And I can crop photos and even add short text notes with the photo stuff before commencing to upload.)

BC

When I started using Polarsteps in 2016 it was free of charge and it still is, as well as the free app.
(nothing about spending money on upgrades or more options)
In the meantime options and possibilities have increased quite a bit.
I am very happy with how Polarsteps works, I find Polarsteps very user friendly as well as
the big thing for me is the option to buy the travelbook with my blog. All the photos
I put in, (or throw out) in a sequence and format I want to have. Complete with the written text,
which I have edited myself for a final result, if need be you can edit the stages you traveled.
Walked / cycled or what ever. Delivered in a top quality hard cover on thick paper.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.