Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Book Exchange

merrellj

Notwithstanding all the valid exhortations about weight, my packing list will include a paperback, mostly likely two, to read en route.

I am assuming there will be some downtime to read and if so will then be leaving my books along the way. Can I expect to find bookshelves in some of the albergues, or are guidebooks the only books to bring!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Merrellj asked:
Can I expect to find bookshelves in some of the albergues

The simple answer is: sometimes!

My first Camino I started with a fast action book. By the time I reached Burgos, I found a copy of
Jesus of Nazareth" by Pope Benedict XVI. I usually read a book only once...I reread the Pope's book over and over. That served two purposes: 1. I didn't have to search for a replacement book and 2. I had a better understanding of the background of Jesus from the writings of popular Christian and Jewish writers...with a Pope centric touch.

Now, back to the thread. As Grayland opines: consider a Kindle or Nook. Many of the Camino guides can be downloaded. Should you need more...get to a WIFI area and download another.

Enjoy...and Buen Camino

Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did occasionally find books left behind by other pilgrims, but not as often as I'd hoped. I bought a book of short stories in León at a lovely bookshop and re-read them over and over.

My second camino I brought a Kindle and it was heavenly to have so many good books at my disposal without worrying about the weight. Though I love the feel of a real book in my hands, the switch to digital has been extremely convenient for my frequent travel and lack of storage space!

Pilgrims who leave their paperbacks behing in albergues are blessed souls. If and when everyone goes digital/individual, this wonderful resource will disappear. :cry:
Books are meant to be shared.

Many albergues have books (sometimes in many languages!) where you can exchange your own. You can often exchange with a fellow pilgrim, too. I personally brought a book with me, thinking that I would read in downtime like you, and ended up realizing after 2 days that I wasn't going to read and just left it in one of the albergues (if you see The Kite Runner somewhere, well, now you know) :)

To me, the days and afternoons were so full of so many things to do, see, experience, and sometimes I just wanted to really do nothing...I didn't miss having a book by me, and I felt the experience was so rich and stimulating that one less story to read went unnoticed.

Off topic, but nevertheless important in my experience- I highly recommend taking a notebook/journal to write. So much stuff can come up and it's nice to be able to capture, even a glimpse of it.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i am an avid reader and thought about bringing a book but didn't. I honestly wouldnt have the time or energy to read it if i had, so it would just have been dead weight...

what i DID bring was my ipod with a few good audiobooks on it. I used it a few times both walking and for bedtime stories, but in 3 weeks i didn't even finish listening to one (still haven't btw, maybe i will on my camino this summer...) :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I read books too quickly to realistically use paper ones while traveling so I've started doing all of my reading on my smart phone. Took a while to get used to but it's so easy and convenient and I love it. So my phone will act as my book, internet, camera, phone and notebook while I'm doing my camino. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Round the corner and up the hill from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, about 50m away, is the Faculty of Medicine's huge cafeteria that must be able to seat between 200 and 300 people. They have a...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
Well sorry for the long absence! I dropped offline and into Camino life and can't wait to go back (but unfortunately it won't be soon)! I won't say the Camino was an easy experience for me, or...
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m...
Hi all. I’m sitting in the sun on this spectacular day in the Pyrenees at the statue of Mary and Jesus. A glorious day. Thank you to all the weather Gods. Perhaps June / July are the best walking...
If you take the route to Ventosa after Navarette there is a brand new bar/cafe I highly recommend. They've been open 4 days as of today June 12 . A local bee keeper started it and it is great...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back