• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking albergues??

Nathalie_r

Time of past OR future Camino
none till now. I am planning for September 2014
Hi, I am planning to do the section between Sarria and Santiago in September and possibly go all the way to Finistere and Muxia.
Since we will be almost 6 persons travelling together, I am finding a bit of difficulty planning and figuring out if we should book the albergues ahead of time or not.
and I am also a bit puzzled out concerning the number of days this trip will take us... Since I am working for a company I need to make sure to sign in the exact days I will be taking.
Thank you all for your feedback!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Six people is not a problem but it may be challenging. Brierley informs us that Sarria is 117.5 km from SdC. One friend may be a real fire-eater at walking and can do the distance in 3-4 days, another will dawdle and walk it in 5 or even 6, one will come down with blisters or diarrhea or the flu and will ride the bus the options are endless even before differences of opinion appear concerning where what and when to eat, start or stop walking who gets the top or bottom bunk. Any private albergue will allow you to reserve so check your guide book now and make a list for over there, municipal or pilgrim hostales, refugios, albergues de peregrinos are usually all first come first bedded many only have 12 or so beds so 6 people shouldn't count too much on that. All said, it's really much easier than you think as long as flexibility and compromise reign supreme.

I am also a bit puzzled out concerning the number of days this trip will take us
It will depend on the speed of your slowest walker. Five to six days is typical, but many do it in four, and leisurely walkers take longer. You can do a plan here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Choose Sarria in the left column, and Santiago in the right column. You will be shown the available stopping places and the type of accommodation available. Pick daily walking distances, and you will know how long the trip will take you.

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Falcon, you would know this... Is it true that the alberques in that last portion..not sure how far I heard...require that a person walks 20 km ( some particular number..you get the point.)

Some of us decrepit slow types will find that impossible, and it makes me sad if true because I will be putting in a lot of effort to do what I can, even if it isn't up to some standard.

(Oops..leaky eyes....seems to be the "getting close to going" stress.)

Falcon, you would know this... Is it true that the alberques in that last portion..not sure how far I heard...require that a person walks 20 km ( some particular number..you get the point.)

Some of us decrepit slow types will find that impossible, and it makes me sad if true because I will be putting in a lot of effort to do what I can, even if it isn't up to some standard.

My wife and I walked slowly (took us 7 days because of the rain) to get from Sarria to Santiago. Never heard anything like that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can´t make reservations on public (Xunta de Galicia) or parochial albergues. So, if you want to be sure, opt for the private ones.
September may be still quite crowded, but I think that calling albergue owners the day before will do it; this also will give you more options about where to stop.
The only rule I have heard of is that, the last 100 km., you need to stamp twice a day to get the compostela.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Is it true that the alberques in that last portion..not sure how far I heard...require that a person walks 20 km ( some particular number..you get the point.)

I cannot imagine any universe where this would be true. People truly walking would be denied a bed because they hadn't walked far enough because they are slow walkers, decrepit, injured, etc.? No way. No one will say to you that because you are decrepit can didn't walk 20 km that day, that you don't qualify to stay in an alburgue. I suspect that what you heard about was that some people who DON'T walk are turned away to make sure there is room for those who do walk. There are people who get dropped of just outside of town and then walk in as though they have walked all day and then want to claim a bed at an alburgue . The person who told you about the 20km rule probably misspoke or wasn't clear and it made it seem like there was some minimum threshold.

One thing that I have heard, which I believe, is that for the last 100km, it is a good idea to get at least a couple stamps each day - one where you stay, others at bars, churches, etc. along the way. The rule is that to get your compostella, you have to walk at least the last 100km of the route. The Compostela office in Santiago really wants to make sure that people aren't just riding in taxis and vans and pretending to have walked, so multiple stamps per day can be helpful in showing your progress.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Two sellos a day is a requirement stamped on the credencial:
The Credencial issued by the Cathedral is printed on card and consists of 14 panels which open out for ease of use. Above is an illustration of the first and last pages. The first page functions as a letter of recommendation and should be filled in with the pilgrim’s details by the organisation issuing it.
The Credencial also clearly states that pilgrims should obtain at least two sellos per day. You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle.

Six people is not a problem but it may be challenging. Brierley informs us that Sarria is 117.5 km from SdC. One friend may be a real fire-eater at walking and can do the distance in 3-4 days, another will dawdle and walk it in 5 or even 6, one will come down with blisters or diarrhea or the flu and will ride the bus the options are endless even before differences of opinion appear concerning where what and when to eat, start or stop walking who gets the top or bottom bunk. Any private albergue will allow you to reserve so check your guide book now and make a list for over there, municipal or pilgrim hostales, refugios, albergues de peregrinos are usually all first come first bedded many only have 12 or so beds so 6 people shouldn't count too much on that. All said, it's really much easier than you think as long as flexibility and compromise reign supreme.
Thank you Scruffy for your message!!!! I am so much looking forward to this trip!!! Every day that passes brings me closer!!!!

It will depend on the speed of your slowest walker. Five to six days is typical, but many do it in four, and leisurely walkers take longer. You can do a plan here:

Choose Sarria in the left column, and Santiago in the right column. You will be shown the available stopping places and the type of accommodation available. Pick daily walking distances, and you will know how long the trip will take you.

Buen camino.

Thank you Falcon for this precious tip!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen camino.

Muchas Gracias!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is currently on the CF just after Burgos and has reported back to me that it's quite cold and damp. I plan to meet up with him mid May and I don't fancy walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back