• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Books on the Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really want to take the Gitlitz/Davidson Cultural Handbook with me on the CF this June; but it is a big book. Has anyone taken it with them, and did it augment/expand the experience?
I have it on my Kindle app on my smartphone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've also got it on kindle. That said, I am currently reading this and I think it's even better. I've learned a lot about the local communities and pre christian traditions from it.

Also available on kindle. I'll make sure both are downloaded before I leave.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I really want to take the Gitlitz/Davidson Cultural Handbook with me on the CF this June; but it is a big book. Has anyone taken it with them, and did it augment/expand the experience?
I have downloaded it on my iPad mini, which I take with me, so it is an easy reference and a great resource.

Thanks all; I'm going to have to swallow my pride and dig out my first generation Kindle. I'm old, and I will always prefer a physical book, but I have to see sense while on the Camino, and reduce the load!:

I love physical books too. The kindle is great for situations like travel when you need to reduce weight, though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Essential reading for those interested in cultural and historical aspects of the camino.

I would also offer Starkie as essential reading, but no need to take it with you.

@philleethomas I assume you will take a smartphone - for checking in with QR codes as we seem to need to do on International flights, even if nothing else. There is a kindle app for iPhones and androids, which would save you having to take a Kindle as well. I too am the proud owner of a first generation Kindle that is still serving me well! But for simplicity I only take the smartphone on camino.

The advantage of having the book with me (in electronic format) is that it allowed me to stand in front of something being described, and understand exactly what I was seeing. I found it transformative.

Essential reading for those interested in cultural and historical aspects of the camino.

I would also offer Starkie as essential reading, but no need to take it with you.

Oh yes, got a very nice copy of the Starkie (see photo)!

Attachments

• 20220219_110822.jpg
    20220219_110822.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know that @David Tallan highly recommends this book. I just got it in digital form so I’m looking forward to reading it soon!
It has something for everyone. Being from the Bronx and being really in touch with nature and plants. I do like to look at them but I skipped the Floral and Fauna sections when I read it. The history parts are really great I think. But there is definitely something for all pilgrims.

@philleethomas I assume you will take a smartphone - for checking in with QR codes as we seem to need to do on International flights, even if nothing else. There is a kindle app for iPhones and androids, which would save you having to take a Kindle as well. I too am the proud owner of a first generation Kindle that is still serving me well! But for simplicity I only take the smartphone on camino.

The advantage of having the book with me (in electronic format) is that it allowed me to stand in front of something being described, and understand exactly what I was seeing. I found it transformative.
I think this is good advice. I have come to prefer to use the kindle app on my smart phone instead of a kindle device. I even use my phone to read books when I'm at home. I find it very comfortable to read, especially in bed.

I took a hard copy of Gitlitz/Davidson book, but only the part for where I was walking. It means cutting the binding. I also cut some of the border down. I have difficulty reading a computer screen outside in the sun. I was able to identify Celtic ruins and other sites as I walked. I also took a monocular and was able to see that stork nests, while occupied by the stork, are also used by small birds below to build their nests, which probably help to keep the whole nest together.

A monocular and a Maglite flashlight with a narrow beam is great inside dark cathedrals to see intricate carvings, etc. My pack was 14-15 lbs total weight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back