Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

LIVE from the Camino BP on the Ebro June 2021

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone,

I may or may not begin to walk the Ebro from Deltebre next week!

I am currently investigating what I need to do to enter Spain according to the authorities. I am not a criminal!! I will comply to the rules.

I do have my credencial ready (that Ivar sent me one year ago when I thought I could still go in 2020). And I just recieved the guidebook that I ordered from Spain by mail! It is form 2006 (yikes), but I like to have something to browse through while I am walking.

If I can cross Spain legally, I plan to continue on the Olvidado and then the Invierno.

If I can go I should start from Deltebre on June 18th...

To be continued

/Bad Pilgrim

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
I went on a shopping spree today! Still not fully equipped. And because of my work I have had no time to prepare physically. I am going for extended walks around where I live from now on, and then I hope I will be able to walk those first 20 kms from Deltebre to San Carles without injuries... On my other Caminos, I have had much more time to prepare. Oh well, we will see how it goes. People say the Ebro is flat, which I quite like. And I have no problems with asphalt; I quite enjoy it.

Yeah I plan to write a few words about this Camino if I ever get to the starting point. But other members have walked the Ebro in later years and there are already some accounts in this subforum.

The tricky part is the permits to enter Spain from where I live. I understand that 2 of them are required, of which I have to get one 48 hours before I enter Spain. All the centers that issue this particular 48-hour-permit are fully booked weeks ahead from now. But I managed to find a place where I don't have to book. My only hope is to drop by the day before my flight and get hold of the permit, otherwise I can't go...

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Gronze.com also has a little information. Maps of each stage with the names of towns and distances between towns. The star system of difficulty/scenery and an elevation map of each stage. If you open up the description of the camino there is also a little more useful information.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Gronze.com also has a little information. Maps of each stage with the names of towns and distances between towns. The star system of difficulty/scenery and an elevation map of each stage. If you open up the description of the camino there is also a little more useful information.
Yes,

It looks more up to date indeed, and I don't need to print it, which is good.

I have read conflicting accounts about how good the waymarking is on the Ebro; perhaps I don't need any of the guides to find my way...

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
I love the Ebro camino - it's so peaceful yet well signed. Have you looked at my web site? https://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago and Pilgrimage 5 was the Ebro. There's a Diary and a photo album which are down-loadable and may be helpful.

Buen camino, amigo!
Steve.

I am reading it right now, bit by bit... Those tunnels look scary, a few stages from Deltebre?! But I never travel without my flashlight (I am used to start walking before sunrise, especially in summer) so I will be prepared for darkness... 👻

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am reading it right now, bit by bit... Those tunnels look scary, a few stages from Deltebre?! But I never travel without my flashlight (I am used to start walking before sunrise, especially in summer) so I will be prepared for darkness... 👻
Oh, those tunnels are so cool! I only had my phone flashlight and was fine. That is a beautiful part of the Ebro on the bike trail.

I left the Ebro in Zaragoza, or one stage later in Gallur to be more precise, to follow the Castellano-Aragonés, which is a beautiful camino. And it connects with your favorite, the Lana, outside Santo Domingo de Silos!

Are you planning to walk to Logroño?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Oh, those tunnels are so cool! I only had my phone flashlight and was fine. That is a beautiful part of the Ebro on the bike trail.

I left the Ebro in Zaragoza, or one stage later in Gallur to be more precise, to follow the Castellano-Aragonés, which is a beautiful camino. And it connects with your favorite, the Lana, outside Santo Domingo de Silos!

Are you planning to walk to Logroño?

Yes I want to finish in Logroño (where I have only been once, on my first Camino a long time ago). Then take a bus to Bilbao and walk the Olvidado. But let us not get ahead of things... My first goal is to get to Deltebre. With all the hustle and different permits, I would be surprised if I even got that far...

Wow, buen camino, BP!
I'm happy for you; even the possibility is light at the end of the tunnel.
(And I vaguely remember Alan saying in his posts that those real tunnels have motion-sensor lights?)

CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
The best laid plans.......... But I will try. I already bought my plane ticket, and should arrive fairly early in Barcelona (12:45 pm). Today I will be looking up how to get as close as possible to Deltebre from Barcelona (bus? train? helicopter? army tank?) and book accomodation in Deltebre... if there is any.

The only thing we found was to take a train to Amposta and call the cab, whose number is posted there, to get to Riumar. Rome2Rio suggests that that’s also the case for getting to Deltebre. Looks like train or bus goes only to Amposta. I remember something about buses to Riumar in high season, though.

My blog says that the camino doesn’t actually enter Deltebre, so you will have to have someone point you in the right direction. :)
Edit...plus...
In that case, it might be better to take the train to L'Aldea-Amposta-Tortosa from where Hife (www.hife.es) has buses to Deltebre.
Amposta is a bit more far away from Riumar the L'Ampolla. However, there's no train station in Amposta itself. The train station serving Amposta is at L'Aldea and L'Aldea is something like a kilometer (or a km and a half) closer to Riumar than L'Ampolla.

There's taxi service available in both L'Ampolla and L'Aldea.

There are more trains from Barcelona to L'Aldea than from Barcelona to L'Ampolla.

The Regional Express fare from Barcelona to L'Ampolla is the same than from Barcelona to L'Aldea.

Comming from Barcelona, L'Aldea is more far away (7-8 minutes by train) than L'Ampolla.
A PM to Alan might yield specific information, but he walked from Deltebre in 2015, a while ago.
It sounds like you won't need a tank though, as there are taxis.

Last edited:

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Ajá,

I should have known: that is from my own conversation I had with Laurie last year about how to get to Riumar/Deltebre from Barcelona. I just re-read it now. Well, I want to get started as soon as possible so I think I will start from Deltebre... the ocean can wait. I also need to shorten the first stage(s) when possible, since I have had so little time to get in shape...

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Edit...plus...

A PM to Alan might yield specific information, but he walked from Deltebre in 2015, a while ago.
It sounds like you won't need a tank though, as there are taxis.

According to Hife, there is a bus from Barcelona Airport (El Prat?) to Deltebre at 3.15 pm on Thursday - too good to be true?! From what I gathered from previous E-bros, the taxi part was unavoidable.

Last edited:
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
The best laid plans.......... But I will try. I already bought my plane ticket, …………………….,,,,……………………….
and book accomodation in Deltebre... if there is any.
I’m feeling so positive for you @Bad Pilgrim

I am looking forward to reading your pearls of wisdom from this trip to Spain & caminos planned.

(IMO). you actually are a very good pilgrim.

buen camino
Annie

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
So, I just booked for a covid-test-travel-permit. The day before I leave: it is good for 48 hours after the test. I hope it will be valid in the eyes of the authorities. The airline is threatening with a fine of 3000 euros (!!!) for anyone trying to enter Spain without the right papers.

I feel as if there is an obstacle course to run from here to Deltebre...

To be continued...

peregrina2000

Staff member
Oh, wow, I just noticed that you are talking about NEXT WEEK!!!!!!

So happy for you BP. Fingers crossed it works. That first day is a lot of asphalt. Actually, I remember a fair amount of asphalt in the early stages. But I also think I remember that you don’t mind the asphalt.

Starting at Deltebre instead of Riumar is not the end of the world. Riumar was a sad place when I was there, and I imagine the pandemic hasn’t done it any favors. Lots of vacant and charmless modern beach construction.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
I made it!! I am in Deltebre, in my luxurious hostal Casa Angela! I have been awake since 4 am (and I started the day by walking to my local airport in the morning) so I will sleep like a log tonight. There were a lot of changes with the bus to get to Deltebre, and a few thunderstorms to get through. l thought I would never arrive. But I can confirm that you can go by bus from Barcelona Airport to the Ayuntamiento in Deltebre, there is no need for taxi. Ticket was 24 euros.

I am not in shape to walk more than 20 kms to Sant Carles de la Ràpita tomorrow, but I will give it a try 😞

But I am a city pilgrim and the asphalt will be my friend...

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
I made it!! I am in Deltebre, in my luxurious hostal Casa Angela! I have been awake since 4 am (and I started the day by walking to my local airport in the morning) so I will sleep like a log tonight. There were a lot of changes with the bus to get to Deltebre, and a few thunderstorms to get through. l thought I would never arrive. But I can confirm that you can go by bus from Barcelona Airport to the Ayuntamiento in Deltebre, there is no need for taxi. Ticket was 24 euros.

I am not in shape to walk more than 20 kms to Sant Carles de la Ràpita tomorrow, but I will give it a try 😞

But I am a city pilgrim and the asphalt will be my friend...

Aha! You made it. All the best and find some shade!

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Cooo’eeee. @Bad Pilgrim

that’s great news!
I can confirm that you can go by bus from Barcelona Airport to the Ayuntamiento in Deltebre, there is no need for taxi. Ticket was 24 euros.
Helpful info already - Thankyou.
I hope first night in spain helps you refresh and improves your confidence .. I think you’ll surprise yourself. .
Well done and buen camino.
Annie

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Day 1: Deltebre - Sant Carles de la Ràpita 23 kms?

All day in the rice paddies, next to a canal and flat flat flat. Lots of birds to look at, some with babies! No pink flamingos though, they reside mostly around Riumar, I think?

The Camino has changed since 2006 when the guidebook was written, but recent E-bros probably know already. Not all is on asphalt: someone must have made an effort to direct pilgrims to as much country road as possible. Waymarking was ok. Every turn is not marked, but I probably didn't follow the Camino all the time. Many straight lines and canals to follow, which is reflected in today's pictures.

There are cafés and restaurants in the artificial hamlet of Poblenou del Delta, about half way to Sant Carles. I needed this break, as I am not really in shape yet.

There was no shadow for the entire way (only exception see 2nd picture) so I already burnt my legs! On the 3rd picture you can see the effects of the heavy rainfall from yesterday. There will be thunderstorms tomorrow again, and I have to walk 28 kms to Tortosa!

Tonight I stay at the cheapest accomodation I could find in Sant Carles: Hotel Nou Rocamar, 35 euros. It is ok and right in the center, close to the harbor.

Attachments

• DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG