A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Breaking down stereotypes

2020 Camino Guides

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Yesterday my 22yo son was walking back to his car after completing his grocery shopping. An elderly man signalled to him from his own car, so son approached him (but still maintained distance because he’s aware that as a teacher he has contact with a classroom full of kids and their parents each day and did not want to compromise this old man). The gentleman simply asked if the supermarket was busy.
Son continued to his car, but as he put his groceries in the boot (trunk for you Americans) he realised the man may have been scared to go in. So he returned to the man and offered to do his shopping. The old guy said, “It’s so nice to know not all young people are silly and selfish”!!
It turned out another young lady was already doing the man’s shopping and he was just wondering if she would likely be taking a long time.

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Instead of partying on the beach these 20 somethings were helping their neighbors.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
Heard on the CBC today: A first year medical student from Western University in London Ontario is out of school, as classes have been cancelled. He decided to volunteer his time to help hospital staff busy dealing with the COVID 19 outbreak, while their children are also out of school. He offered to do childcare and other chores for overburdened hospital staff. Other medical/dental students from his university and others across Canada have also offered their services.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Heard on the CBC today: A first year medical student from Western University in London Ontario is out of school, as classes have been cancelled. He decided to volunteer his time to help hospital staff busy dealing with the COVID 19 outbreak, while their children are also out of school. He offered to do childcare and other chores for overburdened hospital staff. Other medical/dental students from his university and others across Canada have also offered their services.
Medical and dental students nation wide are volunteering their services. The initiative was started by a UBC medical student; If I recall correctly first and second year students are unable to do their hospital stints due to current conditions so they are offering their time to this worthy cause. I believe the plan was to involve as many students as possible ... dentistry, nursing, etc. Glad to see it’s taking off.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
The initiative was started by a UBC medical student
This is funny. I have seen it credited to a University of Toronto student, as well as to the University of Western Ontario student. I decided to just repeat what I heard from the CBC. My suspicion is that it arose independently across the country, as a response to a need,

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
This is funny. I have seen it credited to a University of Toronto student, as well as to the University of Western Ontario student. I decided to just repeat what I heard from the CBC. My suspicion is that it arose independently across the country, as a response to a need,
Funny indeed! I heard what I thought was the initial interview on CBC. It was late last night when I posted and had no way of checking (was too tired anyway) but I thought I recalled that it was a UBC student. Glad to see, anyway, that people are responding.

Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17): Camino Portuguese ('19)
Yesterday my 22yo son was walking back to his car after completing his grocery shopping. An elderly man signalled to him from his own car, so son approached him (but still maintained distance because he’s aware that as a teacher he has contact with a classroom full of kids and their parents each day and did not want to compromise this old man). The gentleman simply asked if the supermarket was busy.
Son continued to his car, but as he put his groceries in the boot (trunk for your Americans) he realised the man may have been scared to go in. So he returned to the man and offered to do his shopping. The old guy said, “It’s so nice to know not all young people are silly and selfish”!!
It turned out another young lady was already doing the man’s shopping and he was just wondering if she would likely be taking a long time.
Love this! You really do see and read about wonderful acts of kindness.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 353 28.4%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock