• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brierley's guide book

Ben Bennetts

Time of past OR future Camino
Ten UK National Trails, three Himalaya treks, numerous other smaller long-distance paths. Planning to walk Camino de Santiago in 2015.
Can anyone tell me the physical dimensions (height, width and thickness) and weight of John Brierley's guide book, tenth 2014 edition, please? I need to figure out if it will fit in the cargo pocket of my walking trousers or whether I will have to stow it in the joey pocket of my rucksack.

Thanks,
Ben

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is too tall for normal cargo pants pockets. I have the weight as 12.25 ounces.

Thanks. Can you give me the actual measurements, please? I want to compare against other guide books I've used in the past.

Ben

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Amazon says:
  • Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 4.8 x 0.5 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 11.4 ounces

The 2015 guide on Amazon:
  • Product Dimensions: 0.5 x 4.8 x 7.8 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 9.9 ounces

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is too tall for normal cargo pants pockets. I have the weight as 12.25 ounces.

Footnote

Actually, that's quite chunky at 348 gms (= 12.25 oz) compared to 269 gms (Aurum), 276 gms (Cicerone) and 321 gms (Trailblazer) weights based on a random selection pulled from my book shelf.

Ben

The 2015 guide on Amazon:
  • Product Dimensions: 0.5 x 4.8 x 7.8 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 9.9 ounces

OK, now I'm confused. First, I couldn't find this info on Amazon but that may be a reflection of my search skills. Second, the latest edition is the January 2014 tenth edition. Where are you finding info on the 2015 edition? Third, is the weight of the book (no shipping packaging) 12.25 oz, 11.4 oz or 9.9 oz?

Ben

OK, now I'm confused. First, I couldn't find this info on Amazon but that may be a reflection of my search skills. Second, the latest edition is the January 2014 tenth edition. Where are you finding info on the 2015 edition? Third, is the weight of the book (no shipping packaging) 12.25 oz, 11.4 oz or 9.9 oz?

Ben

And fourth, is the length 7.8" or 8.3"?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The great thing about it, is you can tear pages out as you go. By the time you reach Santiago, it's almost nothing.....

I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that though. My 2010 Brierley's Guide is still one of my favourite books and I'm forever looking at it when I read a book about the Camino or read about something mentioned on this forum, just to see if I went there or to see where a village or town that was mentioned is. As I've lost my camera with all my photo's of the Camino the pictures in the book bring back some lovely memories. I'll admit it's in my work bag at the moment as I like to read it as a brief escape from 'The real world', before I have to start work.

Our Brierley's Guide takes top spot on our bookshelf. It's full of hand written notes, smudges and memories.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1844096491/?tag=casaivar02-20

It looks like the 2015 edition is a bit shorter and a bit lighter. All weights and sizes on Amazon are somewhat approximate! They often ship in tyvek envelopes, so the ship weight is about the same as the book weight.

Thanks, and thanks to all the others who responded to my question. I found the 2015 edition of Brierley's book in Amazon. It was way down the list, maybe because I was looking on the amazon.co.uk website rather than the amazon.com website. The 2015 edition is not yet available but can be pre-ordered. I'll be happy with just the "maps and town plans" lighter edition of Brierley's book but my wife wants a guide book that is more about what to see en route plus has some historical info. Maybe I need two books? Ben

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Way of Saint James-The Pilgrim's Practical Guide you can get it from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/8444132985/?tag=casaivar02-20
It won't fit in your pocket but it is the most detailed available in English and is produced by the Spanish.

Hmm. I took a look. The description has the words "The definitive guide to this long distance trek which follows a route from the west coast of northern Spain to the French border." Does the book describe the walk in a west-to-east way? If so, does it matter given that we plan to walk east-to-west?

everyone has the Brierely guide, and quite frankly there is more info about his perspective then room for yours. There are many other guides to buy, and the brierely is available as an ebook for your phone or knidle. But honestly every other pilgrim has one. you can always have a good liook at it and take photos of it. That guy plays with the km amounts and his info is not really that up to date.

Maybe I need two books?
No! I used the maps-only book once, but missed the historical descriptions even on places I had seen on previous pilgrimages. You may find that you want to skip his personal musings, but many find them entertaining. Distances are as accurate as anyone's, and the guide is updated annually, so is almost as accurate at internet information. He did put the train station in Astorga in the wrong place. His website has printable .pdf updates for errors that are found in the new editions. http://www.caminoguides.com/latest.html

The book is east-to-west. The Amazon blurb writer got it wrong. I never rejected a request from fellow pilgrims to look at my Brierley's, but my attitude was similar to responding to the guy who loudly says he does not wear a watch because he does not care about time, but then asks you what time it is!!:)

Brierely is a Camino icon and one should not disparage his efforts. I a great one for orienteering, love maps and always carry a personal GPS-the compass my father gave me when I was eleven! No compass is needed but its always with me. Brierely's maps are easy to use BUT they are orientated 90% off and I find this very frustrating bordering often on infuriating. I find his historical comments helpful but due to the format limitations often incomplete or lacking, and lastly, concerning his spiritual comments, I would rather not comment. Brierely was one of the first and he will get you there safely, there are other options.

I just completed SJPP to Santiago using Brierely's latest book. I use it for the maps and for booking rooms 1 day ahead of time and it has served me well. No one guide book can be completely up to date or contain everything to please everyone but I found this one provided enough info for me to complete my journey without any issues. If you happen to show up without one, almost every other pilgrim will be carrying one anyways. Enjoy the journey!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just completed SJPP to Santiago using Brierely's latest book. I use it for the maps and for booking rooms 1 day ahead of time and it has served me well. No one guide book can be completely up to date or contain everything to please everyone but I found this one provided enough info for me to complete my journey without any issues. If you happen to show up without one, almost every other pilgrim will be carrying one anyways. Enjoy the journey!
Thanks again for all the input. Buen Camino. Ben

Not to start a debate, because I know a lot of people like the Brierly's (and to each their own). But we found him to be an idiot. There were certain days where my wife joked she was glad he wasn't present because she'd be tempted to punch him in the gut (she wasnt serious)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The directions and maps, or the philosophy?
Really all of the above, but mostly the maps. Found a lot of inaccuracies. Also wanted more info on alternative routes.

In fairness, my wife is fluent in Spanish and French and speaks a bit of Basque, so we had more guidebook options available to us (and used a combination).....so that makes it a bit easier to be picky.

Not to start a debate, because I know a lot of people like the Brierly's (and to each their own). But we found him to be an idiot. There were certain days where my wife joked she was glad he wasn't present because she'd be tempted to punch him in the gut (she wasnt serious)
Ha ha. Yeah, the spiritual/philosophical ramblings he puts in the book are a bit annoying.
Still, it's a decent guidebook for the average first-timer peregrino. I used it almost solely for the maps and descriptions of the towns. As someone said previously on this thread, it will get one safely to Santiago.
A lot of pilgrims I met on both Caminos were doing it without the aid of a guidebook and using just road-map type publications you can get.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@waveprof, what a great pity you chose to share your pejorative opinion on the man rather than your rational observations about the structure, content and accuracy of his guidebook. Your comment might say more about your mental acuity than Brierley's.

The 2015 edition is not yet available but can be pre-ordered. I'll be happy with just the "maps and town plans" lighter edition of Brierley's book but my wife wants a guide book that is more about what to see en route plus has some historical info. Maybe I need two books? Ben
If you can afford the two books - buy them. Use the full version for study and note taking and carry the map one to save weight. I have both (but mine are to 2013 editions).

Must say this strand leaves me a bit bemused and I've been reluctant to post on it. I took the book as a Pilgrim's guide, and the reflections as those of someone with a genuine desire for a deeper meaning in life, and the thought that, in some way, what he himself had experienced might be of help to others. People may or may not agree with his views, or the way he expresses them, but, whatever, surely at the very least he deserves some respect for his conviction?

The amount of historical and archeological information in the guide is mind-boggling, and I simply don't know whether or not this is so readily accessible elsewhere. I admire and respect him for the sheer amount of research and effort involved in this. It needs both dedication and commitment to do something like this.

Part of my own motivation was to look for more compassion, understanding, and tolerance for others, something I'm lacking in. The Camino for me wasn't life-changing or earth shattering in any way, but rather just a long and mostly very wet walk. But there are others who have had a special experience and I hope I can respect and admire them for this.

De Colores

Bogong

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found his guidebook to have good information on what services were available in each town. Some towns have no stores or bar/cafe/restaurants, it would not be good to walk into town that has an albergue with no services and not have food to make dinner and something for breakfast.

Must say this strand leaves me a bit bemused and I've been reluctant to post on it. I took the book as a Pilgrim's guide, and the reflections as those of someone with a genuine desire for a deeper meaning in life, and the thought that, in some way, what he himself had experienced might be of help to others. People may or may not agree with his views, or the way he expresses them, but, whatever, surely at the very least he deserves some respect for his conviction?

The amount of historical and archeological information in the guide is mind-boggling, and I simply don't know whether or not this is so readily accessible elsewhere. I admire and respect him for the sheer amount of research and effort involved in this. It needs both dedication and commitment to do something like this.

Part of my own motivation was to look for more compassion, understanding, and tolerance for others, something I'm lacking in. The Camino for me wasn't life-changing or earth shattering in any way, but rather just a long and mostly very wet walk. But there are others who have had a special experience and I hope I can respect and admire them for this.

De Colores

Bogong
Still, I imagine old man Brierley must be making some serious bank off those book sales $$$$$$$$

@waveprof, what a great pity you chose to share your pejorative opinion on the man rather than your rational observations about the structure, content and accuracy of his guidebook. Your comment might say more about your mental acuity than Brierley's.
My comment was pretty clearly light hearted. And I opened with the fact that he's helped a lot of people. If you must go through life so serious as to take offense to this, then so be it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My comment was pretty clearly light hearted. And I opened with the fact that he's helped a lot of people. If you must go through life so serious as to take offense to this, then so be it.
Agree 100%.
Briery's guides are - to me - superb.
Next year I may walk the Rura del Ebro, and am sorry he hasn't written one on that route.
Making money out of the guides? Of course he is - it's his job :).
Buen camino!

@waveprof, your so-called light heartedness is still really hard to detect. And I go through life with the view that people deserve a modicum of respect. My view is that we don't need the sort of pejorative labelling used in your post in otherwise sensible and rational discussion. Its not about being serious, its about being kind. What was said wasn't kind, and I don't think it was light hearted either.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are any of these guide books available E book format.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.