• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bring or Buy?

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles fr. Ferrol 8/2024
I'm dividing my packing list into things I plan to buy in advance and bring with me to Spain, and those that are better bought once there becasue of airline regs (I'm not checking any bags), price or simply ease of purchase. So far, these are the things I plan to buy in Spain:

1. Trekking poles
2. Bug repellant
3. Sunscreen
4. Vaseline/Aquaphor
5. Moleskin/Compeed

Anything else I should think about purchasing after arrival?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I live in the UK. I would buy my poles in Spain but bring the other four items from home. Cheaper here, not a problem in cabin baggage and saves time finding them in Spain. For a long Camino I might also buy a cheap folding knife on arrival.
I'm in the US, and unfortunately I've been stopped at TSA with both bug repellant and sunscreen identified as "liquids."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1. Trekking poles - See this thread and make your decision.
2. Bug repellant - Normal rules re liquids and gels on planes
3. Sunscreen - Normal rules re liquids and gels on planes
4. Vaseline/Aquaphor - Normal rules re liquids and gels on planes
5. Moleskin/Compeed - There are no air travel restrictions.

Personally, I buy in advance, at home, and take everything I know I want. That eliminates the hassle of shopping upon arrival in Spain, and it allows me to choose the item and container size to suit my preferences.

I only agree on the trekking poles. I am picky and a cheapskate and the US has a better selection and lower prices on the rest of those products and they are easy to find or repackage to be TSA compliant.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm in the US, and unfortunately I've been stopped at TSA with both bug repellant and sunscreen identified as "liquids."
I wouldn't want to carry more than the 100 ml size approved by security in my backpack anyway.

Instead of moleskin I would buy Omnifix or Hypafix tape at a pharmacy in Spain.

to go against the tide: if I really wanted poles I'd bring them, everything else I'd buy locally. Sunscreen because I need loads and a tiny bottle just won't cut it (and another piece of single use plastic that I try to avoid). Bug repellent, vaseline and tape I'd buy if it turned out I'd need it.

Coming from Australia, I bring them all from home. Poles and sunscreen (more than 100ml) go in the dispatch box/luggage that I collect when arriving there. The others go with me on the camino backpack on board.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Coming from Australia, I bring them all from home. Poles and sunscreen (more than 100ml) go in the dispatch box/luggage that I collect when arriving there. The others go with me on the camino backpack on board.
I get that and if I were checking or sending luggage I’d do the same. But I’m only bringing a carry-on.

Since most US toothpaste tubes are over 3 ounces and cannot be carried through US security, I brought a small tube with me, then bought toothpaste when I got to France.

FWIW... I really disliked the French toothpaste (which I think is the same in Spain). American toothpaste tastes much better to me. The toothpaste I bought in Europe tasted like baking soda. Others Americans had the same complaint, so I don't think it was just the tube that I purchased.

Since then I've learned that it is possible to buy a 3 ounce toothpaste tube in dollar stores in the US. That size is plenty for most Caminos. I'm not sure why the companies don't sell those at bigger retailers like CVS, Walgreens or Target, but they don't. Everything is 3.2 ounces or bigger.

I also bought a small pair of scissors when I got to Europe. I used those mainly for cutting tape and padding for my toes. Some people buy a small knife to cut cheese and such on the trail. Of course, both scissors and knives can't be carried through security in the US.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you keep the size of each container under 100 ml (3.5 oz) and they fit in your 3-1-1 bag of liquids, they ought not confiscate them. Remember, you CAN buy all of this in Spain.

But, if you want to bring smaller start-up sizes, follow my sizing advice above. You will be fine. You can always buy 3 ounce nalgene, or similar, plastic bottles with secure closing lids / caps and decant product into the smaller bottles. I use a handheld Brother label maker to mark each bottle with contents. In over 30 years of global travel, I have never had a problem with security. Been using the same labeling machine.

As for buying hiking poles in Spain, if you are staying in Madrid for a day or two before starting, find where your hotel is located on Google Maps, then search for hiking and camping supplies near that address.

Alternatively, go to www.decathlon.es or decathlon.eu to locate the Decathlon sports super store nearest your lodgings. It is worth the price of a cab, especially if you are sharing with another person. Also, the El Corte Ingles department stores have very good sporting goods sections as well. You could check there. They have several branches downtown.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I'd buy everything I could in Spain ... after all, it's the Spanish generosity that makes the caminos possible ... not some corporation from "home" ... and Spain is not a 3rd world country. You can find everything there that you "need" ... just like the original pilgrims had to do.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you keep the size of each container under 100 ml (3.5 oz) and they fit in your 3-1-1 bag of liquids, they ought not confiscate them. Remember, you CAN buy all of this in Spain.

But, if you want to bring smaller start-up sizes, follow my sizing advice above. You will be fine. You can always buy 3 ounce nalgene, or similar, plastic bottles with secure closing lids / caps and decant product into the smaller bottles. I use a handheld Brother label maker to mark each bottle with contents. In over 30 years of global travel, I have never had a problem with security. Been using the same labeling machine.

As for buying hiking poles in Spain, if you are staying in Madrid for a day or two before starting, find where your hotel is located on Google Maps, then search for hiking and camping supplies near that address.

Alternatively, go to www.decathlon.es or decathlon.eu to locate the Decathlon sports super store nearest your lodgings. It is worth the price of a cab, especially if you are sharing with another person. Also, the El Corte Ingles department stores have very good sporting goods sections as well. You could check there. They have several branches downtown.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks. I may bring small sizes of some lotions, etc. with me as starters, but I can’t imagine I won’t need more than 3 oz of sunscreen in August :)

Compeed is more expensive in Spain. I regretted not bringing more with me. I also couldn’t find “little” toothpaste, hand cream, and sunscreen there, maybe in the larger towns. I just bought the larger sizes.

I'm dividing my packing list into things I plan to buy in advance and bring with me to Spain, and those that are better bought once there becasue of airline regs (I'm not checking any bags), price or simply ease of purchase. So far, these are the things I plan to buy in Spain:

1. Trekking poles
2. Bug repellant
3. Sunscreen
4. Vaseline/Aquaphor
5. Moleskin/Compeed

I always miss my pocket knife when I have to fly and leave it behind. It really comes in handy when I'm hiking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
They even took my tooth paste once! So make sure it contains less than 100 mg.

1. Trekking poles
2. Bug repellant
3. Sunscreen
4. Vaseline/Aquaphor
5. Moleskin/Compeed

Bring. You don't want to spend your first hours on a scavenger hunt. Yes, all the things are easily obtained in Spain. But you're not familiar with the area. Example, I forgot my lip balm. Walked a few blocks and ended up purchasing at a cosmetic store, 9€. A few steps later came across a small store with my brand for 1€.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.