• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buen or bon camino?

HedaP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
Walked the Frances in 2015 when the most common greeting was 'buen camino'. Walked it again in spring this year and was interested to find that the most common greeting had changed to 'bon camino'. I stuck to 'buen camino' despite all odds! :eek::p:p:p What's your preference?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked the Frances in 2015 when the most common greeting was 'buen camino'. Walked it again in spring this year and was interested to find that the most common greeting had changed to 'bon camino'. I stuck to 'buen camino' despite all odds! :eek::p:p:p What's your preference?

Hi Heda, was this in Galicia? That may be the reason.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Bon Camiño might be the Galician version.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I guess the Bon Camino comes from people who write Camino Francis instead of Frances or alburque when it is albergue. ;)

I have also noticed the "alburgue" (with an incorrect "u") omnipresence. I suppose that in English the pronounciation is more akin to the Spanish word. But every time I see it, I have the image of a place where "McPilgrims" are served. With double cheese, lettuce and pickles.:D

Last edited:
Pronunciation varies from place to place in Spain. I remember a Spanish pilgrim entertaining us with the six ways of saying Hola. I did notice in some rural areas, especially in Asturias, that buen seemed to become bon. As long as you respond cheerfully, your pronunciation will not cause any dismay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Galego is the particular language of Galicia; you can hear it notably in rural villages. You probably will notice some "Bom camiño" signs.
This odd "ñ" sound is similar to the "nh" in Portuguese; I think you can get an approximation with the "ny" in English (as in "canyon").
True, In Galicia words changes a bit. For example it's Camino de Invierno in castellano but in gallego it's Camiño de Inverno.

I believe also bedbugs changes from chinches to chinchas but they bite the same ;)

Attachments

• 0940-coming to Albaredos (A Rua-Quiroga, 23.07.14).jpg
    0940-coming to Albaredos (A Rua-Quiroga, 23.07.14).jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 0941-marker in Albaredos (A Rua-Quiroga, 23.07.14).jpg
    0941-marker in Albaredos (A Rua-Quiroga, 23.07.14).jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 11
I have also noticed the "alburgue" (with an incorrect "u") omnipresence. I suppose that in English the pronounciation is more akin to the Spanish word. But every time I see it, I have the image of a place where "McPilgrims" are served. With double cheese, lettuce and pickles.:D

Actually it is: "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun".
Good way. Or good walk, South America translation.

One of many things that bug me about The Way (2010), the tiny scene where Emilio Estevez replies "Merci." to the lady's "Buen camino."; this in SJPP, so why speak in Spanish, or reply to it in French?? One would anticipate 'Ben camiño' for Galicia but by the time you get there you're set so there's less occasion for wishing you well on your way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Galician language, most Galician (including me) say Bon Camiño. Camiño sounds exactly the same as portugues Caminho and Bon sounds quite similar to Bom.

BUT, the normative expresion for this is Bo Camiño. So, in Galicia you always find the written expresion (Xunta, municipalities, etc.) Bo Camiño.

Going to the OP, in Spain you never can hear Bon Camino, because:

In Galicia Bon Camiño/Bo Camiño
In Asturias (only near the border with Galicia) Bon Camín
In Cataluña, Baleares and Valencia Bon Camí
In Basque country Bide Onetik

In the rest of Spain you only can hear Buen Camino.

For the record, Galego (Galician) is not a variant or dialect of Spanish (Castilian); but a language in its own right; like Portuguese or French. However, you will probably not hear 'bon' outside of Galicia.

So, what you heard makes no sense - 'buen camino' is the only correct option in Spanish.

On that note, ¡Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

And if you ever wondered why it's 'Buen camino' and not 'Bueno camino' it's called apocopation - comes before a singular masculine noun!

And don't forget the mispronunciation in person of "albergaay" LOL.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I applaud anyone who tries to speak a foreign language and think it should be supported. Don't let your imperfect accent discourage you.

Absolutely.
I'm not a native English speaker so I too regularly make errors on the forum.
But the two examples I mentioned here earlier are easy and much used words in a Camino context.

In Galician language, most Galician (including me) say Bon Camiño. Camiño sounds exactly the same as portugues Caminho and Bon sounds quite similar to Bom.

BUT, the normative expresion for this is Bo Camiño. So, in Galicia you always find the written expresion (Xunta, municipalities, etc.) Bo Camiño.

Going to the OP, in Spain you never can hear Bon Camino, because:

In Galicia Bon Camiño/Bo Camiño
In Asturias (only near the border with Galicia) Bon Camín
In Cataluña, Baleares and Valencia Bon Camí
In Basque country Bide Onetik

In the rest of Spain you only can hear Buen Camino.

Thanks for this. I guess I was muddling 'bien' and 'bueno' in Castilian, so I've tended to think it was 'Walk well' rather than 'Good walk'. It's camino in the sense of 'way' or 'road', not in the sense of 'walk' or 'wayfaring'. Funny to still be unsure about this 3 years after my first camino. :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was muddling 'bien' and 'bueno' in Castilian, so I've tended to think it was 'Walk well' rather than 'Good walk'. It's camino in the sense of 'way' or 'road', not in the sense of 'walk' or 'wayfaring'. :rolleyes:
"Walk well" would be "camina bien". Bueno is an adjective, bien is an adverb. Camino, depending on where the accent is placed, is a noun, or a verb in the present or past tense.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And I thought it was me.........

After a year of Spanish classes (and 5 years of hearing and saying "bon chemin" on the Chemin de Compostelle from Le Puy-en-Velay) I was disconcerted to hear "bon camino" in Spain - though, only from non-Spanish pilgrims.

I'll stick with "buen camino" from now on.

I find that any attempt to speak the native language is welcomed (not to say essential in some out-of-the-way places) and I very rarely encounter fellow pilgrims who assume that the whole world speaks English.

Since my Spanish and Portuguese is essentially non existant, I generally greet people as I would at home in English.
This has actually led to a few laughs and many conversations as many of those that I meet on the trail don't speak Spanish or Portuguese or any of the unique local dialects from certain parts of Spain.
I have certainly met more Canadians, Americans, people from the UK, Australia and New Zealand by greeting fellow walkers in English.
I have met many more Europeans by not trying to fake a greeting in Spanish. This includes other pilgrims from Germany, Switzerland and Austria who generally have a much better understanding of English, than I will ever have of their language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Am I the only one who ends up cringing after a few days when hearing "buen Camino", in any language or version? How many times does one have to hear this a day? :confused::confused::confused:

Perhaps another reason why I prefer quieter routes: you end up knowing all the people walking in your wave, or meeting them only at night in albergues where greetings are not "buen Camino". ;)

And if you ever wondered why it's 'Buen camino' and not 'Bueno camino' it's called apocopation - comes before a singular masculine noun!
Ok, I'm impressed, Katy! I taught Spanish for 32 years and have never heard the word "apocopation"! But, indeed, that's what it's called. I'd like to hear you bring this one up at a cocktail party, or even at a pilgrim dinner!

"¡Buen camino!" is just a shortened version of something along the lines of "¡Qué pases un buen camino!" (May you have a good walk!). Likewise, it's very common all over the Spanish-speaking world for people to say "¡Buen día!" which is roughly equivalent to our "Have a good day!" in English.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bon Chemin in France
Buen Camino in Spain

Bon Camino is mixing French 'Bon' with Spanish 'Camino'. What a mish-mash of languages and an insult to the French and Spanish languages.

And Tigger, it is G'die mite' not your cultured 'Giday mate'

Was your second Camino on the Portuguese? Sounds like the difference of "Good Walk" in either Spanish or Portuguese respectively. Buen Camino and Bom Caminho to all!!!

One of many things that bug me about The Way (2010), the tiny scene where Emilio Estevez replies "Merci." to the lady's "Buen camino."; this in SJPP, so why speak in Spanish, or reply to it in French?? One would anticipate 'Ben camiño' for Galicia but by the time you get there you're set so there's less occasion for wishing you well on your way.
I would think that SJPP being on the Franco-Spanish border both languages are interchangeable.

€149,-
It is surprising but the language definitely changes at the border. On one side French, on the other Spanish. Oh, unless it is Basque.

I was born and raised in Noo Awlins where we commonly greeted people with, "Hey where y'at?"
Years ago, I had a most hilarious account of the way y'all pronounce words. The only one I remember is Aaah Stay.

(
Iced Tea) :p
(
I so regret throwing out that piece of paper!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ewwwww!

That inferior looking black goo looks disgusting and tastes nothing at all like the mellifluous, nourishing mouth watering comforting flavour of Vegemate! It is better on a T shirt to! ;)
Hahaha, I like them both though. Very much!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Apócope [examples]
UN for uno
PRIMER for primero
TERCER for tercero
ALGUN for alguno
NINGUN for ninguno
BUEN for bueno
MAL for malo
There could be more but those are the ones I remember from where I come from. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I would think that SJPP being on the Franco-Spanish border both languages are interchangeable.

It is one of the truisms of boundaries that people who live close to the edge are actually more protective and less receptive to others than one might expect. And don't forget SJPdP is in le pays Basque, so the next language over ought to be Euskera. The French influence on the history of the camino is very strong, so all the more reason why it ought to have been Bonne voie or Bonne marche or equivalent.

Buen camino.

Galego is the particular language of Galicia; you can hear it notably in rural villages. You probably will notice some "Bom camiño" signs.
This odd "ñ" sound is similar to the "nh" in Portuguese; I think you can get an approximation with the "ny" in English (as in "canyon").

Of course, the word "canyon" comes from the Spanish "cañón". Perhaps all the other "ny" words do too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I myself tried on a neologism by suggest to introduce `Buen(o) Domingo´, like at home where we wish each other a pleasant and blessed Sunday,
It got a few laughs and as I was not sure of the gender flex of buen, I dropped it !!

Last edited:
Portuguese is my mother tongue so I was very happy to interact in Galician instead of Spanish.
I noticed that when I greeted the locals with "ola, buenos dias" I woud receive "bon dia" as an answer. Then to the next person, I would say "bon dia" and I would get "buenos dias" as an answer. I really don't know if that's just a coincidence or there's more about it.

Portuguese is my mother tongue so I was very happy to interact in Galician instead of Spanish.
I noticed that when I greeted the locals with "ola, buenos dias" I woud receive "bon dia" as an answer. Then to the next person, I would say "bon dia" and I would get "buenos dias" as an answer. I really don't know if that's just a coincidence or there's more about it.

Talking about locals in Galicia you can hear either "Buenos días" (Spanish speakers and elder people in general), "Bos días" (plural) or "Bon dia" (singular), that now is in fashion among young Galician speakers.
As a curiosity, in Galicia everybody says "bon" despite normative is "bo".

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back