• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Pamplona to SJDPP?

rickrun1223

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hello. I arrive in Madrid on April 15th 9:05 am. Plan was to train to Pamplona then bus to SJPP. Why are all the bus routes on the Rome2Rio site 5 hours long. I keep hearing there buses that are around 2 hours. Where do I find these? Also I've never flown into Madrid. Does it take long to get through customs? Should I give myself a couple hours relative to booking a trane?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello. I arrive in Madrid on April 15th 9:05 am. Plan was to train to Pamplona then bus to SJPP. Why are all the bus routes on the Rome2Rio site 5 hours long. I keep hearing there buses that are around 2 hours. Where do I find these? Also I've never flown into Madrid. Does it take long to get through customs? Should I give myself a couple hours relative to booking a trane?
Rome2Rio will often only show routes for which they can sell you a ticket. Allow a good 2 hours to clear the airport and get to the train. Pamplona is a great city for an overnight while you wait for the bus. Or you could just start walking from there…

Buen Camino

If you take a train after you arrive in Madrid, you won't get to Pamplona in time for the bus to SJPDP which leaves around noon.

You can either stay a night in Madrid and take the early train to Pamplona to catch the bus or train to Pamplona and spend the night and catch the bus the next day or even begin walking the Camino from Pamplona as many others do.

You can also take a cab from Pamplona to SJPDP when you arrive and there will likely be other pilgrims on your train who you might share the ride with.

Public transportation in Spain is very good, but it isn't always exactly the schedule we can keep with a personal vehicle. It is a Camino and you'll soon experience life at the pace of walking so these delays will help you ease into that slow down.

Last edited:
In May 2019 I took the bus from Pamplona to SJPDP that leaves around 5:00 pm. It was a nice ride. I enjoyed seeing a number of pilgrims walking at that late hour. Seeing them walking with their backpacks gave me a good feeling for the start of my camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In May 2019 I took the bus from Pamplona to SJPDP that leaves around 5:00 pm. It was a nice ride. I enjoyed seeing a number of pilgrims walking at that late hour. Seeing them walking with their backpacks gave me a good feeling for the start of my camino.
In recent years only one bus at around noon

In recent years only one bus at around noon
Does that bus fill up? Would you need to book ahead to get a seat? I fly standby, so I can't usually book things ahead since there are times that I have to adjust my schedule based on seat availability. I will be traveling around the 21st of August

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does that bus fill up? Would you need to book ahead to get a seat? I fly standby, so I can't usually book things ahead since there are times that I have to adjust my schedule based on seat availability. I will be traveling around the 21st of August
I bought my ticket through Trainline before I left Canada as I was worried about it being full as I had to leave that day and did not want to pay for a taxi. There was a lot of people waiting for the bus when I arrived at the station so was happy to already have a ticket.

I bought my ticket through Trainline before I left Canada as I was worried about it being full as I had to leave that day and did not want to pay for a taxi. There was a lot of people waiting for the bus when I arrived at the station so was happy to already have a ticket.
I don't know about this one, but when we went to San Sebastian one year from Pamplona, they had 6 buses to accommodate passengers leaving all at the same time.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back