• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus travel

judydaisy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria - Santiago 2004
Roncesvalles - Estella 2009
Camino Ingles - 2012
Tui - Santiago - 2014
Can anyone help? A friend and I are going to do the Ingles route at the end of September. We are flying into La Coruna and bussing to Ferrol. However, I can find no info re: getting a bus from Santiago back to La Coruna. I have tried all the sites I can think of including the ones in the pilgrim guide. I have tried the Santiago bus station web site to no avail and have tried the ones they suggest. Does anyone out there have a reliable link or knowledge of which bus line goes? I need to leave Santiago on a Sunday morning and be in La Coruna airport for 1pm.
Any info gratefully received.
Judy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We think we used either Freire or Monbus not ALSA but I have been checking out the ALSA site, with a struggle.

The ALSA website http://www.alsa.es/ gives a bus at 8.00am on Sunday 30th September, it goes via A Coruña to Léon.
To see the times etc you have to know the final destination of the bus. :!:
There is also a 9.45am bus to Leon given but it goes by Arzua not Coruña.

If you put Santiago in the 'Origen' box and Léon in the 'Destino', your correct date in the date box and click 'Buscar' it should give you the info you want.
The ALSA website is not user friendly, it will only make one search, then locks up so you have to close it and then start again. However it will do a day specific search and also gives the price and the itinery (click on 'Ver')

You may then need a taxi to the airport or there may be a shuttle bus from the bus station - main offices are upstairs from the drop off.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi! I went by train from Santiago to A Coruna and it was quick, easy and reasonably priced. About 50 minutes with trains every hour or so. I don't think that was a Sunday though, so it would be worth checking. It doesn't go to the airport though, so if you can get a bus that does that may well be a better option.

Re 'A Coruna' or 'La Coruna'. The latter is what airlines use and I tend to use it in that context on this forum. As far as I know it's also acceptable to use for people speaking Castilian Spanish with no pretensions of speaking Galician. And for football fans. :D

Buen Camino!

True Tyrrek, but the bus site will only recognise a search starting with A Coru...
It will put the ñ in, if it is picky like ALSA, but won't search for La Coruña

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you one and all.
Quite agree re: the Alsa site. It seems to suggest there is no direct service between the two points. Put in La or A Coruna and it doesn't recognise anything, you have to put in Betanzos! Then I realised that this bus goes to Betanzos via Coruna but the only way to find this is by clicking on the Itinerary button and hey presto... Not an easy site but the buses exist!
Hope we might meet others en route.
Judy

Hello again,

I am also looking at the bus services sites, as we are trying to map out our routes. We are arriving at 7:30am in Santiago on Ryan Air. We will have luggage with us (for our post-camino travel) which we intend to leave at the Pilgrim's Office in downtown Santiago.

So far, this is what we have figured out:
* From airport to downtown Santiago, we take Empresa Freire bus, stopping at Dr. Teixeiro.
* From the Pilgrim's office to the bus station of Santiago where we will take the bus to Ferrol, what do we take? Is there a city bus and what number? (that seems to be the missing link)
* From Santiago to Ferrol: I see 2 options of Monbus and Arriva and this is where I get a little bit confused. Our online search tells us that there is a bus stop for Arriva from Santiago-Ferrol on Rua Travesa, a few blocks east of the Cathedral (?). But the Arriva website though does not give us timetables for this route and also seems to have several stops which are a bit confusing. We would like to arrival at Ferrol before the 2:00pm siesta and Monbus has a departure at 11:00 am.

So what do the veteran peregrinos do and what is the easiest way to get to Ferrol?
This forum has really been truly helpful and I look forward to your advise.

Buen Camino,
Maria

Bus no 5 from street immediately outside Santiago bus terminal entrance goes to city center, but I haven't taken it. I walked (30 mins) to cathedral. To do so take the road immediately opposite station entrance at island cross over and head downhill and towards left. The taxis outside the bus station will get you there for 5 euros. For the Ingles see Johnnie Walkers guide and amendments and I have posted some recent changes too.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Balaysa17th said:
* From the Pilgrim's office to the bus station of Santiago where we will take the bus to Ferrol, what do we take? Is there a city bus and what number? (that seems to be the missing link)
Maria

Maria,

From the Pilgrims' office you can easily walk to the bus station, Estación de Autobuses, on the Plaza de Camilo Diaz Baliño within 30 minutes.

Here is one walking route proposed by Google maps.

"Walk north up the Rua do Vilar to the nearby cathedral in the Praza de Obradoro,
from Praza de Obradoro continue slightly left onto the Rua de San Francisco,
this will eventually turn right onto Rua do Compino San Francisco,
then follow the Avenida de Juan XXIII to the right,
eventually at the roundabout take the Rua de Axel Casal,
which leads to the Plaza de Camilo Diaz Baliño and the
Estación de Autobuses"

Another handy possibility is to simply turn left when leaving the Pilgrims' Office and walk down the Rua do Vilar to the helpful Santiago de Compostela Tourist office at number 63. There you can get a free map of the city to plot your route.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Balaysa17th said:
Hello again,

I am also looking at the bus services sites, as we are trying to map out our routes. We are arriving at 7:30am in Santiago on Ryan Air. We will have luggage with us (for our post-camino travel) which we intend to leave at the Pilgrim's Office in downtown Santiago.

So far, this is what we have figured out:
* From airport to downtown Santiago, we take Empresa Freire bus, stopping at Dr. Teixeiro.
* From Santiago to Ferrol: I see 2 options of Monbus and Arriva and this is where I get a little bit confused. Our online search tells us that there is a bus stop for Arriva from Santiago-Ferrol on Rua Travesa, a few blocks east of the Cathedral (?). But the Arriva website though does not give us timetables for this route and also seems to have several stops which are a bit confusing. We would like to arrival at Ferrol before the 2:00pm siesta and Monbus has a departure at 11:00 am.

So what do the veteran peregrinos do and what is the easiest way to get to Ferrol?
This forum has really been truly helpful and I look forward to your advise.

Buen Camino,
Maria

Hola

I'm sure this will all work out fine. But in fact with this schedule you don't have a lot of time so when you arrive get to the Pilgrims' Office as soon as you can. In answer to your questions:

1 Bus from Airport to Santiago - there are a couple of services. Empresa Friere as you say and also a shuttle bus which runs every 30 mins - the buses are unmistakably orange in colour. Get off at Doctor Teixeiro and walk up to the Pilgrims' Office.

2 Please note that the Pilgrims' Office does not open until 9am and there is a sign saying that the Left Luggage Office does not open until 10am - however don't panic...if there is a queue up the stairs to the Pilgrims' Office simply go to the head of it and explain to the Amigo at the door (in blue Tshirts and speaking English!) that you urgently need to leave your luggage. They will arrange this for you. If for some reason they aren't there simply go in and explain to a member of staff behind the desk.

3 However you might also consider the merits of one of you taking a taxi to the Pilgrims' Office with the luggage whilst the other gets the bus to the Bus Station to secure the tickets to Ferrol. A Taxi costs 20€. Otherwise, depending on how much luggage you have to deposit, you could both get the bus from the airport and one could get off at the bus station which is the stop before Doctor Teixeiro.

4 To get from the Pilgrims' Office to the bus station either walk or take bus number 5 from the Plaza Galicia - this is 3 - 5 mins walking almost in a straight line from the Pilgrims Office and everyone knows where it is. There is an indicator board outside the Ironmongers beside the bus stop which will tell you when the next bus is coming. Otherwise, there is a taxi rank opposite outside of the Zara shop and they will charge you no more than 5€ from there to the bus station.

5 There is a regular bus service to A Coruña

A Ruta del autobús A Coruña
Horarios de Autobuses desde Santiago de Compostela A Coruña. Salida desde la Estación de Autobuses de Santiago de Compostela.
Por A-9 Autopista Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña
Laborables:
A las 6:50, 7:50, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14:30, 15:20, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21:15 y 22:30 horas
Sábados:
A las 9, 10, 11, 12, 13:00, 15:20, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 y 22:30 horas
Domingos y festivos
A las 10, 12, 13, 15:30, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 y 22:30 horas
Por Carretera Santiago de Compostela A Coruña
Laborables:
A las 6:30, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12:30, 14, 15:30, 16:30, 18, 19:30 y 21:15 horas
Sábados:
A las 8:30, 10, 12, 14, 16:30, 18* nota 1 , 19:30 y 21:00 horas
Domingos/Festivos
A las 8:30, 12, 14, 18 *nota 1, 19:30 y 21:15 horas
nota 1: por N-550 hasta Ordes y AP-9 hasta A Coruña

So you might want to take your time a little and take a bus later than the 11am. Don't worry about siesta (unless you want to take one :)) The good people of Ferrol will not be sleeping on your arrival.

For the OP: On the way back from Santiago to A Coruña. There is a bus which helpfully stops at the airport in A Coruña but the timing may not suit you. Ask for details in the Tourist Office or at the bus station. If you manage to get this bus it will drop you at the end of the road to the Airport. Otherwise get the train from Santiago to Coruna - it takes only 30 mins, or any other bus. In Coruna the bus and train station are very near each other and both have taxi ranks outside.

Buen camino

John

Thanks everyone for all the input!

John:
I will make sure to print this out and clip it in your guidebook so nobody panics :lol: . There are 6 of us traveling (with 6 pieces of luggage to be deposited), so we can split into teams.

Good to know about "siesta time" in Ferrol. That first day, it is likely that I will be too excited to start off and forget about taking a siesta. (And hope jet lag does not set in too badly).

For your point #5, regular bus to A Coruña: by a regular bus, it is different from Monbus? The Monbus website gives us this time margin which appears most feasible for us: dep 11:00 arr 12:18; dep 13:30 arr 14:50. Except that the Ferrol tourist office closes at 14:00, right? Or can we knock to get a sello? ;-)

Oh, so now I am even happier that we already have our credentials with us and do not need to linger at the Pilgrim's office to get this. The benefits of pre-ordering! Now I hope we can make all this as planned.

Hola

I'm sorry if I've caused any confusion by mixing up the original OP and your question.

YOU are going to Ferrol and as you already know Monbus will take you there. The buses from Santiago bus station are at: 9.15, 11.00, 13.30, 16.10, 18.00, 19.30 and 20.30

In the bus station when they sell you the tickets they will send you downstairs with some vague direction like "your bus will leave from one of the bus stands between numbers 12 - 20" I've stood anxiously before trying to spot my bus. The tickets have the number of the bus printed on them - which is the serial number painted on the bus. Always ask the driver just to make sure.

The Tourist Office does close but opens again at 4pm I think. If you are starting immediately to walk to Neda and the Tourist Office is closed - don't panic. Just go into any hotel or church or many bars and ask for a sello.

Can you make sure you have printed off the new section of the guide from Sigueiro to Santiago - you can get it here:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-d ... go-guides/

Finally - buen camino!

See you in Santiago

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My thoughts exactly, gray land! I couldn't even begin to imagine how we could have managed to fully commit to doing the Camino without all the help and information provided in this forum. It just makes this huge leap of faith so much easier to do!

By the way, I get it now!! I had the mistaken notion that we can only get the sello at the Ferrol tourist office. :oops: So now, with much relief, we do not have to feel pressured about the time we need to be in Ferrol then, as it doesn't matter whether the tourist office is closed.

Our plan is to start off that afternoon, staying the night in Naron as per the guide. For a 7km walk, that wouldn't take too long if it's a fairly straightforward walk. And yes, I will download the new section.

I am looking forward to seeing you in Santiago! Buen camino!

Re: Bus travel Ferrol

I fly into ACoruna at 8pm and would like to take a bus to Ferrol next day. I could not get bus times and routes between these two towns on the Alsa website, though their map indicates that there is a bus. Perhaps the bus is a long distance bus which does not have A Coruna origin and Ferrol as the destination.
Could some of the experienced forum members advise how to catch this bus?

Many thanks
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here you are: As you can see the daily buses are every hour from the bus station in Coruna. Depending on where you are sleeping in Coruna leave yourself enough time to get to the bus station. Check the slightly different schedule for Saturdays, Sundays and Feasts.

En Transporte Público

Lunes a viernes:

Bus / Autobœs:
A Coruña - Ferrol: 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30, 20:30, 21:30 (Viernes o día víspera de puente).
Ferrol - A Coruña: 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30, 20:30.
Tren:
A Coruña - Ferrol: 8:10, 14:40, 20:30.
Ferrol - A Coruña: 6:48, 14:15, 20:20.
Sábado:

Bus / Autobœs:
A Coruña - Ferrol: 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 15:30, 16:30, 19:30, 20:30.
Ferrol - A Coruña: 8:30, 10:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 17:30.
Tren:
A Coruña - Ferrol: 10:42, 14:40, 20:30.
Ferrol - A Coruña: 10:25, 14:15, 20:20.
Domingos y festivos:

Bus / Autobœs:
A Coruña - Ferrol: 11:30, 12:30, 15:30, 16:30, 19:30, 20:30, 21:30.
Ferrol - A Coruña: 10:30, 13:30, 15:30, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30, 20:00, 20:30.
Tren:
A Coruña - Ferrol: 10:42, 14:40, 20:30.
Ferrol - A Coruña: 10:25, 14:15, 20:20.

Most read last week in this forum

I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Here is a brief outline of our Camino from Reading UK to Santiago de Compostella via the Camino Ingles. Day 1 April 7th Reading to Little London. Reading is very Pilgrim friendly, great signage...
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back