Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Business efforts on the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
Javier just posted a very interesting article about the Invierno.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...cuenta-camino-invierno/0003_201701M4C2991.htm

It describes an effort being spearheaded by Semente. I had to look that up to see what it was, and it turns out it's an association in Monforte de Lemos that was formed when a bunch of people in that town won the Christmas Lottery in 2014 and decided to put some of their money into an organization that would try to incentivize development of all kinds in the area. That's pretty cool -- http://www.sementedemonforte.org/cas/quienes-somos.php

Semente has just started the discussion with interested parties/companies about how the Camino de Invierno could be a part of that redevelopment in the area. The article describes a recent meeting at which a bunch of proposals were floated.

One is an phone app/website that would let pilgrims know where in each town there are private people who, for a small amount of money, offer services like rooms in their homes, transportation, meals, washing clothes. (I assume that would require a lot of government paperwork and permissions, but maybe not). One thing is certain, there is a LOT of available housing that appears to be in good condition and that is unused or underused all along the camino. A woman in Puente de Domingo Florez told me it would be a godsend to have pilgrims in her home but she wasn't sure how to go about it. And she also said there is an abundance of flats/houses that could be used as albergues.

Another proposes a pilgrim albergue in Doade, in a camping bungalow style, with a section dedicated to the sale of local products. Another suggests turning an abandoned hamlet of 5 houses into some sort of complex for pilgrims and tourists.

I guess the area is gearing up for pilgrims upon pilgrims, let's see if it happens. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is interesting. Maybe a pdf file here on the forum with the available lodging alternatives could be a start? Something similar to the ""All" the Albergues on the Camino Frances" file:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/
Capture.JPG

I would love to help, but I don't know any of the people involved in this development... ivar@casaivar.com if they read this and would like to get in touch.

Happy "almost" 3 Kings day! (They are arriving in Santiago in a few hours! Streets are buzzing with kids right now.. :)
Ivar

That is interesting, Laurie. I certainly walk past many empty houses and even through empty villages on the Invierno. Some of the places I stayed, such as Asun's home, are in that model of being "home shares" where you are sleeping in a spare room, rather than a more formally set-up albergue. It could be a very good model for the Invierno since the numbers are still low, and will probably build gradually rather than in the sort of big burst that could support more typical multi-bed albergues.

Puente de Domingo Florez would be a good place to have the app they describe that would link you to available housing, as there's only the one hotel in town, if I'm remembering right. And if you had some Spanish, it would be a great way to get to know some local folks along the route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Want an interesting article. I am so happy to hear that what is being promoted as this "new" Camino comes to life is not just mercantilism but a desire for all the community to participate and bemetfit, not just a few with deeper pockets as we have seen on other Caminos. Social economy here makes perfect sens.

Wouldn't it be fun for this route to have a different vibe, story, impact than the others? Never mind ordinary albergues, promote "home stays". Why not? Push Galicia's new bedding policy in home stays anddecrease the risk of bedbugs at the same time. Allow walkers to have more contact with the local community.

And if people don't like it, they can still go on the other routes.

The fact that the Invierno is a blank canvas is a wonderful opportunity to created a new experience bases on social economy. Makes me want to be there.

2021 is coming, whether we like what it entails or not. this is a very good sign. Now, if it could be replicated along the heavier trafficked routes, a solution to the potential for "peak Camino" in coming years, might be at hand.

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Invierno is a camino I am very much looking forward to, as soon as it develops a bit more traffic. I like a smattering of other pilgrims to keep me company.

This could be a similar idea as the travel club I once belonged to. It's organized and managed by a wonderful outfit in Seattle, WA, U.S. but has members worldwide. For an annual (and very reasonable) fee you receive a Directory. This lists members worldwide who offer accommodation and breakfast, usually just for one night for a very low fee. It is hugely successful. The only difference being, is that as a member, you also offer the same. What a boon this would be for locals who could use this kind of finacial support.

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back