• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying frenzy

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
Probably a very contentious thread I realise but....
I wanted to question this need we have to buy stuff (for the Camino) when we already have what we need....
Don't take me wrong, I have been guilty of it myself!!!
Is it to quell our fears? What do you all think?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I recently had a self imposed Shop Stop to make sure I didn't spend my budget on purchases, as you say I have more than enough kit already ... it could be a sort of anticipation enhancer, or to get the feeling that we are Doing Something about the up coming walk when in reality all we can do is wait (and walk). During my Shop Stop I learned what was important and what was just buying stuff for a person I am not here, but soon will be. I did allow myself a new pair of shoes even though the ones I had were brand new (the seller replaced my last Camino shoes due to a fault) and I am very glad I did! I am also glad I got the merino dress I wanted, and I am glad that I didn't buy all the other stuff I didn't buy. And I got to rummage around in what I had, down to the bottom of the kit box, and found old things I had rejected but which could still come in useful. The trick is to get the balance right to make you as comfortable as possible while you walk and help you avoid injury, which can cut your walk short. Should you try to get non-cotton base layers? Yes, I think so if you can. Should you research and try on boots, shoes and sandals before you buy? Yes, absolutely, even if you have to order online and return them (look for free returns). Do you need a backpack that feels comfortable and learn to adjust all the straps? Please, yes, not all people do! But do you need the latest gadget, the brightest new shade of pink merino or an expensive down sleeping bag? Nope, you don't. Window shop and admire the shinyness on the internet and then spend your pennies wisely on stuff you really need, and use the rest on a good meal or a single room instead!

For me there was very little need but it was a good excuse to justify a few things. Good luck with your decisions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was already a gear junkie before we started planning the Camino. I did not have to buy many too new things because of that, however, that is because I already have put myself in restraints before going into REI, Sierra Trading Post, and any of the locally owned backcountry gear stores. (You can never have too many tents of varying sizes and weights, you know.) I've supported the US and local economy by purchasing some stuff for the Camino that I will not take with me and it has already been moved to the large and overflowing boxes of misc. camping stuff in my garage. To be fair, we normally do a lot of backcountry hiking and camping and I had not understood at first that the Camino is actually a civilized experience through non-wilderness territory. I thought it another great excuse for the adding to my collection of tents, sleeping bags, etc. My new mantra is to take only what I need and buy what I run out of in France and Spain. Although I do not expect that being a pilgrim will end my addiction for random hiking and camping gear, I do hope it will help me consider what I need and not just what I want.

Nothing at all to do with fears. It is a hobby and an art - to create the best camino kit for my purposes. It includes making some items myself, modifying others, and careful selection of new items too. I am easily entertained!
That's what I'm like. I have been enjoying the time that I'm spending researching what to buy, finding the best deal, etc.
And I very literally need just about everything! I have never worn a backpack before, I didn't have shoes that I could walk the Camino in, etc.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My gear purchases have largely to do with the need for different gear for the camino than what I take backpacking. I have a really good down sleeping bag for backcountry use, but I am allergic to down, so it may do for a 10 day backcountry trip but it will not do for a six week camino. So I bought an inexpensive but not very light sleeping bag in artificial fabric for the camino. I have recently bought a good quality sixty-five litre backpack for the back country, but it is too large and heavy for the camino, so I bought a smaller pack on sale. One item that is good for both is my new pair of lightweight boots, which were inexpensive and suitable for both uses. I did buy a couple of merino wool base layer t shirts, for all the benefits of merino wool for comfort and quick drying etc. But I bought both on sale. My backpacking socks will do with the boots. I have a light cotton t shirt and light shorts or warm tights which will do for nightwear.I have been wearing my regular daytime upper layer, seen in my avatar photo, for years for backpacking: the pants were on sale second hand and the shirt was given to me. Choose carefully and you can keep your gear and clothing purchases for the camino to a minimum and their cost to a reasonable level.

For new fangled replacements, I do it to save 6 oz., or .5 oz. at a time. And those 6oz really add up over the years. I have found lighter backpacks, sleeping bags, ponchos, jackets, sandals, flashlights (torches), batteries (lithium is so light), electronic charging cables (shorter is lighter), deodorant bottles, soap (solid bar doesn't have the water to weigh it down). I even weighed a standard trashbag liner vs. a trash compactor liner and determined the lighter standard was the way to go (despite it being more noisy - I am a late waker). Aside from getting rid of the stuff you don't really need, finding light or ultra-light equivalents to necessary equipment makes my bag lighter every year.

Now, one thing I have consistently purchased for every Camino, new each time, is footwear, and liners, and socks.

I come back from the camino and my shoes are very worn. The socks sometimes have little holes. The liners are even thinner than they started. I continue to use the old equipment about my local walks, but by the time the next Camino rolls in, they must be replaced.

Feet comfort is sooooo important, I don't scrimp on this area.

Now, I have used equipment for 3 years or more in a row, only to realize, that my rain jacket was no longer water proof and there is this little hole I never noticed until exposed over a crazy rainy day, over one shoulder. This crazy rainy day, soaked absolutely through, made me wish I had replaced my jacket earlier.

For me its not about fear. But rather, about constantly improving the experience.

Damien

For new fangled replacements, I do it to save 6 oz., or .5 oz. at a time. And those 6oz really add up over the years. I have found lighter backpacks, sleeping bags, ponchos, jackets, sandals, flashlights (torches), batteries (lithium is so light), electronic charging cables (shorter is lighter), deodorant bottles, soap (solid bar doesn't have the water to weigh it down). I even weighed a standard trashbag liner vs. a trash compactor liner and determined the lighter standard was the way to go (despite it being more noisy - I am a late waker). Aside from getting rid of the stuff you don't really need, finding light or ultra-light equivalents to necessary equipment makes my bag lighter every year.

Now, one thing I have consistently purchased for every Camino, new each time, is footwear, and liners, and socks.

I come back from the camino and my shoes are very worn. The socks sometimes have little holes. The liners are even thinner than they started. I continue to use the old equipment about my local walks, but by the time the next Camino rolls in, they must be replaced.

Feet comfort is sooooo important, I don't scrimp on this area.

Now, I have used equipment for 3 years or more in a row, only to realize, that my rain jacket was no longer water proof and there is this little hole I never noticed until exposed over a crazy rainy day, over one shoulder. This crazy rainy day, soaked absolutely through, made me wish I had replaced my jacket earlier.

For me its not about fear. But rather, about constantly improving the experience.

Damien

That's great, Damien, if you have the money to make multiple purchases of lighter items. And you are right to say that you must have good footwear. But for those who can't put out a lot of money for gear, you don't need to. Wear what you've got, or buy second hand or make do with cheaper items which are somewhat heavier. I am 68 years old and in only moderate health and I had a wonderful camino last fall with what I could cobble together. Maybe in part because I was used to carrying a lot more gear for backpacking, so whatever I took added up to a much lighter load, which I could manage comfortably. Don't be intimidated by the gear purchases of those with extensive budgets. Go for it. Buen camino to the poorer pilgrims. You may be blessed with a spirit close to that of those who walked the routes to Santiago over the centuries.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's great, Damien, if you have the money to make multiple purchases of lighter items. And you are right to say that you must have good footwear. But for those who can't put out a lot of money for gear, you don't need to. Wear what you've got, or buy second hand or make do with cheaper items which are somewhat heavier. I am 68 years old and in only moderate health and I had a wonderful camino last fall with what I could cobble together. Maybe in part because I was used to carrying a lot more gear for backpacking, so whatever I took added up to a much lighter load, which I could manage comfortably. Don't be intimidated by the gear purchases of those with extensive budgets. Go for it. Buen camino to the poorer pilgrims. You may be blessed with a spirit close to that of those who walked the routes to Santiago over the centuries.

Yah, just me and my personal situation. Some may identify, others won't. I did the camino 10 years ago cobbled together. These days, its curated. And my experience is improved.

My post is meant mostly for those going out again. My bag is 7 pounds lighter today than it was 10 years ago, because I leave stuff behind I don't need and replace stuff with lighter things. But I am a repeat offender. I hope not to prevent people from going out and doing the camino because they are scared of the equipment or the cost. For those starting out, some of the simple things like bars of soap, smaller deodorant, lithium batteries, and sensible packing, etc. will help bring the weight down. I remember five years ago walking with a gentleman from Korea who carried his rollerblades and his full sized Laptop computer. He was out with tendonitis after 3 days. That was not sensible packing.

Damien

Probably a very contentious thread I realise but....
I wanted to question this need we have to buy stuff (for the Camino) when we already have what we need....
Don't take me wrong, I have been guilty of it myself!!!
Is it to quell our fears? What do you all think?

Interesting question...

As we were already trekkers we had most of what we needed and only replaced what was necessary. Our companion however was a first time walker and despite our recommendations and, at times, strong protestations went out and bought anything that anyone or a guidebook identified as being 'necessary'. This included a mound of blister solutions and a 'last minute' shop in St Jean Pied de Port which contributed to her first day exhaustion as she managed to sneak in a huge amount of extra and untried gear. So much so that a large parcel was sent home from Pamplona and the remaining mochila transported all the way to Santiago.

I think that part of it is having the experience of previous long walks and knowing how little you actually need and how heavy a backpack can become. Also part of it is not trusting that you can resupply along the Way at the well stocked Farmacias. Lastly, I think that it can also be a combination of outdoor stores marketing the latest, best, trendiest new gear as absolutely necessary.

I know that I regularly look at all the new fabulous trekking gear but can't justify a purchase as my old stuff is still more than adequate. That said, given the length of the walk, I did trial a few small items that I would like on future treks.

That's an interesting question @domigee. Each year I am tempted to buy lots of new stuff, especially when I read other forum members' gear questions and recommendations (I can be very easily tempted!). I usually manage to reign in my enthusiasm and remind myself of how little 'gear' is needed on the Camino. Making one major purchase each year has worked well for me, especially if it is something that I will use when hiking at home. In 2014, I bought my paclite rain jacket and trousers which I use more in Ireland than on the Camino. Last year's purchase was my pacerpoles - absolutely no regrets about that. This year, I used vouchers I got for Christmas to buy a bigger version of my beloved Deuter rucksack. It will have its first outing next month at Glastonbury! I don't really count shoes or clothing in my tally of Camino purchases as for me, none of this is Camino-specific.

However, I deviated from my sensible approach this year and bought an ultralight down quilt which is most definitely a luxury item and was a bit of an impulse buy. Hopefully I won't regret that little splurge! I almost bought a 'good' poncho, but reminded myself that I would never wear it at home and I've always managed fine on the Camino without one.

To go back to your question of why I/we do this - I'm not quite sure. Sometimes it's very sensible and in response to a real 'need'. My super-cheap waist pack with high-vis strips definitely falls into this category. It holds my money, phone, passport etc. and it enhances my safety when walking on roads. Other times, my purchases have been based more on a want or a desire - like that quilt. I don't feel any guilt about the occasional splurge purchase. We all get to choose how we spend our very hard earned money!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nothing at all to do with fears. It is a hobby and an art - to create the best camino kit for my purposes. It includes making some items myself, modifying others, and careful selection of new items too. I am easily entertained!
Wasn't it you who repurposed some kneesocks into gaitors? If so, how did they work out on your recent Camino?

Wasn't it you who repurposed some kneesocks into gaitors? If so, how did they work out on your recent Camino?
Yes I did. They worked fine and I'll use them again whenever the path starts kicking up stones. They were the light (but opaque) stocking knee highs with the toe end cut off. You put them around your ankles and pull the cut end down over your boot laces. You have to keep them loose around the ankle so they don't pull and rise up from covering your boots. They weighed and cost almost nothing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes I did. They worked fine and I'll use them again whenever the path starts kicking up stones. They were the light (but opaque) stocking knee highs with the toe end cut off. You put them around your ankles and pull the cut end down over your boot laces. You have to keep them loose around the ankle so they don't pull and rise up from covering your boots. They weighed and cost almost nothing.
Would be great to see a photo? I can't quite picture how you keep these over your boots/shoes. Do you use heel part as the strap around the shoe? Are you using knee high socks or panty hose kind of knee hi's?

Darn! I've just recently purged my drawers and got rid of all of my knee high "trouser" socks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.