• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Californian Looking to take The Camino

Shadovick

Hey everyone, good morning, good evening or what have you. My name is Vick I'm from California and I'm 21 years old. I'm young and was looking for somewhere to visit, somewhere to get away to from all the hustle and bustle of California and stumbled upon the Camino De Santiago.

The reason for all of this is that in the coming months I will most likely be having an open heart surgery. I was born with a congenital heart defect and sadly the time for surgery is now. Staying on the positive side though, I figured the temporary hold on school, work, and everything else will serve as my chance to go out and see the world.

That said, I've come a long way in my journey towards good health. Once upon a time I weighed over 226kg. After being diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure on top of the Aortic Stenosis I was born with I was in a bad way. I decided in those moments that I was going to change my life. I stopped overeating, analyzed my diet and did my best to lose weight. Fast forward about a year and a half and I'm almost at 115kg. In the following year I plan to lose at least another 20kg, in addition, I want to walk the Camino Frances next year in March.

The purpose for this trip is about more than just seeing the world however, lately I've found myself in a bit of an existential crisis. In the lowest of lows I've contemplated suicide, considered the ramifications of just walking into the ocean and letting it's vast, relentless waters consume me. However, in speaking to those that truly care about me I was given some words of wisdom that I won't soon forget. My friend Barak spoke to me and said

"Life by default is meaningless, we live, we grow and we find purpose and meaning"

This changed my view on life radically, it's given me a new outlook. It's given me the impetus to carry on and make this trip. In the pursuit of knowledge, I've decided to come here, peruse the threads, and talk to all of you people about this trip.

I look forward to getting to know some of you and planning my way to Santiago de Compostela

-Vick

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A lot of 21 year olds can "Just do it". The Camino, I mean.
You will be a special case.

Keep going on your diet. Introduce exercise to your routine. Walking outdoors is great as is cycling for cardio. I don't run. At age 57, my knees are giving up.

Read the many threads in the forum to learn more about the Camino. And google the "Confraternity of St. James" that will keep you going for a while.

Share your plans with your doctor. Schedule your surgery and set a date for your Camino.

Then you will be ready to "Just do it".

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Dear Shadovick,
I feel compelled to write to you as in 2008 I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve due to a congenital defect, just as you are about to undergo. I also had a total hip joint replacement in 2005. In 2010 I walked from St Jean to Finisterre (but bussing between Burgos and Leon), so I walked just over 700 kms in 42 days. Last year I walked from Somport to Santiago, just over 900 kms in 50 days. I am also 80 years old. I am very fit because I enjoy feeling physically good and also because of the need to exercise to keep my heart strong.
I am putting this on the Forum, not because I am anything special but to inspire others who have doubts about their ability. On the my first Camino I met a man who travelled from Munich to Santiago in his wheelchair which made me feel very humble.
I am also sending you a peronal memo with more details.
Buen Camino. David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
skilsaw said:
A lot of 21 year olds can "Just do it". The Camino, I mean.
You will be a special case.

Keep going on your diet. Introduce exercise to your routine. Walking outdoors is great as is cycling for cardio. I don't run. At age 57, my knees are giving up.

Read the many threads in the forum to learn more about the Camino. And google the "Confraternity of St. James" that will keep you going for a while.

Share your plans with your doctor. Schedule your surgery and set a date for your Camino.

Then you will be ready to "Just do it".

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

David, I completely understand where you're coming from. My plans are still very much just that, plans but it's become personal to me and I WILL walk the Camino some time in 2013. As it stands I walk 4 miles a day, as well as do other forms of light cardio, I think in some small ways I've already been preparing for the Camino.

I also am interested in reading through these forums, I don't doubt that this will be a valuable research - especially when apparently so many members have completed the journey.

I appreciate your input, thanks so much. Be easy my man

-Vick

camino-david said:
Dear Shadovick,
I feel compelled to write to you as in 2008 I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve due to a congenital defect, just as you are about to undergo. I also had a total hip joint replacement in 2005. In 2010 I walked from St Jean to Finisterre (but bussing between Burgos and Leon), so I walked just over 700 kms in 42 days. Last year I walked from Somport to Santiago, just over 900 kms in 50 days. I am also 80 years old. I am very fit because I enjoy feeling physically good and also because of the need to exercise to keep my heart strong.
I am putting this on the Forum, not because I am anything special but to inspire others who have doubts about their ability. On the my first Camino I met a man who travelled from Munich to Santiago in his wheelchair which made me feel very humble.
I am also sending you a peronal memo with more details.
Buen Camino. David

That's pretty amazing man, I knew I'd find some inspiration here but that's something else. I understand what you're saying about not feeling special. I feel like a lot of people always comment on my weight loss and I think well - I've done a lot, but it's not so hard when doctors tell you "If you don't lose weight you WILL die"

I'll be reading your memo in just a minute, thanks for the response and good to know open heart surgery isn't the end of things.

-Vick

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.