Camino Aragones will have a new pilgrim center | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Camino Aragones will have a new pilgrim center

Discussion in 'Camino Aragonés' started by peregrina2000, Nov 27, 2017.

1. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

This seems overly ambitious to me, but I read that Canfranc Station, that lovely albatross of a train station, will have a new pilgrim center built on its grounds, leaving the sprawling huge building empty except for the little RENFE office on the side. But I guess it would be more expensive to renovate the building than to build new. Architectural drawings in the linked article:

http://www.heraldo.es/noticias/arag...a-puerta-del-camino-santiago-1210139-300.html

EU will pay 65% of the cost, total around 500,000 euros. I don't know what the thinking is here, but maybe it will put the Aragonés in the spotlight and stem the decline in pilgrims. 500,000 euros is surely a lot of money though.

2. pelerine

pelerine Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Norte, Primitivo, Plata, Salvador Torres
    Thank you for the info, peregrina! I will add it to what I am collecting on the Camino Aragones. For use when? I do not yet know....

3. IngridF

IngridF Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2012, 2015 ,2017
    oh boy what a waste of money.... walked the route in June.. group of 9 pluse maybe encountered another 5 pilgrims

4. fransw

fransw New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2012; Le Puy - Conques 2014

But what will happen with Canfranc station? Is it a classified buiding like in France where many buidings are classified due to their architectural or cultural importance? If this buiding is not protected it will become another ruin.What a pity then!

5. mspath

mspath Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Canfranc station was indeed protected 6 March 2002 under Spanish law as a BIC.

"La Estación Internacional de Canfranc fue declarada, por el Gobierno de Aragón, Bien de Interés Cultural, en la categoría de Monumento, el 6 de marzo de 2002."

See more here
    http://www.patrimonioculturaldearagon.es/bienes-culturales/estacion-internacional-canfranc

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    PapaSmurf76 and fransw like this.
  6. fransw

fransw New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2012; Le Puy - Conques 2014

Thank you for the info. I am relieved to know that this cultural heritage is saved.

mspath likes this.
  7. Sailor

Sailor Lifetime Membership Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (2017)
    From the link provided by Peregrina, also planned the construction of a bridge on the French side, the construction of a new albergue, and maintenance on the markings on the Camino Aragones [so, those concerned are trying to revive this camino and that is a good thing, I would like to walk this route]. To all caminantes, Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

8. sharon w

sharon w Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2007
    Camino Portugues 2009
    Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
    Cammino di Assisi 2014
    Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
    Aussie Camino 2016
    Will, hopefully, be walking this route next year. We are coming in from France on Chemin d'Arles.
    Looking forward to staying at Canfranc.

Alan Pearce likes this.
  9. High Endeavours

High Endeavours Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances: (2013),
    Plata, Sanabres, Finisterre: (2014)
    Le Puy (2015)
    Inverino, Dos Faros, Portuguese, Le Puy (2016)
    88 Temple, Shikoku, Japan (Mar-May, 2017)
    I plan to walk this route from Arlés next year and had previously read that they are going to update the rail station which will be great, but likely completed after I pass by.

Not that I'm complaining, but I'm wondering why this is such a less travelled route? I was recently looking at the 2017 pilgrim statistics and in November 120 arrived from LePuy, but only 7 from Arlés. In October, these numbers were 382 vs just 12 from Arlés. I looked further along the path and in October 43 arrived from Somport, but in November just 7. I understand it's a beautiful route.

Of course I became a bit interested in the numbers and noticed that the pilgrims walking the Plata from Seville have increased four fold since I walked it just 3 years ago. Amazing! Interestingly the Invierno numbers remain under 400 reported. I figured that many others would have discovered this fabulous route by now, but I guess folks are reluctant to turn off at Ponferrada when they have connected with so many other pilgrims on the classic Frances. Understandable. When I walked it, I started in Leon with the intent to leave the Frances. So many great walking trails!

Rionajmc and sharon w like this.
  10. sharon w

sharon w Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2007
    Camino Portugues 2009
    Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
    Cammino di Assisi 2014
    Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
    Aussie Camino 2016
    Yes. We did the Via de la Plata this year and it was busy. However, still not that many pilgrims. That is one of the reasons the Arles route appeals - not many pilgrims. Can't wait.

11. Nekodemus

Nekodemus Certified insane

Camino(s) past & future:
    Been there, done that. Keep coming back.
    Most likely addicted.
    I'm happy to see, that the Aragonés route is receiving some well deserved TLC.

Walking from Lourdes would be a good option. Partly because there is an airport with good service, which in it self makes it a good start point, partly because Lourdes, however touristy it may be, is a site of interest in it's own right.