• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport Paris to Somport/Camino Aragones

LesR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
Hoping to do walk the Camino Aragones/Frances next year - wondering what the best (simplest) means of getting from Paris to Somport....

Will be travelling from Australia, so I am assuing that an arrival through Paris (CDG) will be the most practical...

Grateful for any advice ...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Les. Flying into Spain will get you there much quicker and the travel is quite straightforward.

I’ve done that journey from Sydney, by flying into Barcelona, then a train to Canfranc Estacion, with a change in Zaragoza. You can do similar, and maybe a little shorter, trip from Madrid.

From Canfranc Estacion, you can either start the Aragones there or take a bus up to the Col - or walk up. 😎 All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually you can take the train from Madrid-Zaragoza-Huesca-Jaca-Canfranc Estacion, but track repairs means that it’ll be a bus from Jaca. If you go this route, I’d recommend a bus up to Somport so you can start at the beginning of the Aragon way.

However, if possible, starting in Oloron St Marie (France) on the last portion of the Arles makes for a far more beautiful and moving journey. That is accessible from Paris by train/bus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, from Paris it makes more sense to start in France. We had many pilgrims from France that started in Oloron St Marie. From Spain you can take a bus from Pamplona to Jaca or from Madrid or Barcelona a train to Zaragoza and then a bus to Jaca if the train isn't running by that time yet. The bus runs regularly and is a little faster than the train. Both the train and bus station are co-located in Zaragoza.

From Jaca there is a mountain community bus that goes back and forth from Jaca to Somport several times per day. You buy a ticket from the driver.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would start in France. This year I took a train from Paris to Pau and then a bus to Morlaàs where I ended two years ago. You could also take a bus to Lescar [suburb of Pau] and start from there, or a train from Pau to Oloron-Ste-Marie. If needed, there is also a bus [#550] that runs from Oloron to Somport https://www.citrampyrenees.fr/horaires-tarifs/

Last edited:
If you've got so much time to plan, and getting to Madrid from Australia is as easy as Paris, why not fly to Madrid. Train from Atocha in Madrid via Zaragosa is super easy - about 6 hours. Last spring there were 2 trains a day. As someone mentioned, it leaves you off at Canfranc Station. A local bus can take you to Somport. to start.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hoping to do walk the Camino Aragones/Frances next year - wondering what the best (simplest) means of getting from Paris to Somport....

Will be travelling from Australia, so I am assuing that an arrival through Paris (CDG) will be the most practical...

Grateful for any advice ...
Starting at Pau or Oloron St Marie walking up the beautiful Valle d’ Aspe is glorious and not to be missed leading up to crossing Somport into Spain. Train from Paris to Oloron works well. Enjoy fellow aussie

If going to CDG the SNCF website/ app can be very useful for planning and will give some timetables Montparnasse to Pau.

I started from Somport this year. Went from Madrid to Zaragoza, then Huesca, then Jaca. (I think train on the first part of that and bus on the other two, but there might have been another train in there.) Spent the night in Jaca in the old city (which is worth some time exploring!) and took the 8:20 a.m. (I think) bus from Jaca up to Somport.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pau, France is a nice Pyrenees “jump off” city. Not bonded in WWII. Walking from there starts off easily and prepares you for the tougher walkiing later. TGV direct from Montparnasse. Buy an upper seat ticket if you want to see the countryside. Buen Camino

Starting at Pau or Oloron St Marie walking up the beautiful Valle d’ Aspe is glorious and not to be missed leading up to crossing Somport into Spain. Train from Paris to Oloron works well. Enjoy fellow aussie
I'm following this thread because I was planning to start my Camino on the Aragonés next year - now I think I want to start on the Arles at Pau!

I'm following this thread because I was planning to start my Camino on the Aragonés next year - now I think I want to start on the Arles at Pau!
Oloron to thé Col is a beautiful part of Arles Way with some great gites. (e.g. Relais du Bastet in Oloron, the monastery in Sarrance)

Pau isn’t on the Arles Way but it’s a lovely town. And I’m sure you can find some tracks / path from there to walk to Oloron if you want to. Or it’s just a quick train ride. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Pau isn’t on the Arles Way but it’s a lovely town. And I’m sure you can find some tracks / path from there to walk to Oloron if you want to.
Thanks. Gronze shows that it's just a few km from the Arles route.

Screenshot_20231105_092037_Firefox.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes the monastery in Sarrance is a great albergue with communal dinner. Earlier I typed Pau was not bombed in WWII but got autocorrected. Easy walk on the Camino from Pau to Oloron St. Marie. There are some hazardous sections along the river after Oloron. Just be careful. Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back