• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino da Estrela from Cáceres to Braga

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Via de la Plata, Cami de LLevant, Camino Mozárabe, Kinzigtäler Jakobsweg (Germany), Jakobova Pot (Slovenia)
Hello together,
after having completed several Caminos I am looking forward to do another one: The Camino da Estrela from Cáceres to Braga. Does anybody know if there is an official (say: marked) way from Viseu to Braga?
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Buen Camino
Antonius

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello together,
after having completed several Caminos I am looking forward to do another one: The Camino da Estrela from Cáceres to Braga. Does anybody know if there is an official (say: marked) way from Viseu to Braga?
Buen Camino
Antonius
About Braga. I have been there many times ,even recently a few times but never have seen any waymarkers at all.
The other day we have been in the mountains of the Serra da Estrela but even there never seen any signs of any camino.
Yes in Viseu we saw some but these are the waymarkers of the caminho Português Interior and lead from nearby Coimbra in the center of Portugal to Chaves in the north of Portugal and on to the Via de la Plata.
Bom caminho.

Thank you very much, Albertinho!
This way I am talking about has actually been a Roman road - maybe there is any information about this?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello together,
Buen Camino
Antonius
Sounds an interesting variation on the VdlP, and it would be fascinating to see San Pedro de Alcántara's birthplace. The only thing I could find about the marking was this old piece about the arrows being painted http://www.hoy.es/20081116/sociedad/renace-antigua-estrela-20081116.html
It also has a facebook page, but not a very informative one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are on our regular holidays in Caceres and explored the route by car to the border of Portugal. No albergues but pensiones and hostales for the pilgrims.
Malpartida de Caceres, Arroyo de la Luz, Brozas, Piedras Albas.
Will post pictures later. Scorching hot though..41 Celsius tomorrow.

Hello SabineP,

thank you very much for this message!
I am looking forward to seeing your pictures...

I will not start this adventure before May next year - hope it will cool down a little 'till then... :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello SabineP,

thank you very much for this message!
I am looking forward to seeing your pictures...

I will not start this adventure before May next year - hope it will cool down a little 'till then... :)

Here are the pics
The landscape
Townhall in Brozas
Fiesta in Brozas
Multifunctional library in Alcantara
Yellow flecha
Bordersigns
River Erjas
First Portuguese village

Attachments

• 20160904_120116.jpg
    20160904_120116.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20160904_121852.jpg
    20160904_121852.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20160904_122025.jpg
    20160904_122025.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20160904_130110.jpg
    20160904_130110.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20160904_130425.jpg
    20160904_130425.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20160904_130513.jpg
    20160904_130513.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20160904_130605.jpg
    20160904_130605.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20160904_130941.jpg
    20160904_130941.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20160904_130447.jpg
    20160904_130447.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 16
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great pics, Sabine-- sounds like you got stuck in a heat wave extraordinaire.

I am confused, though -- does anyone have a map that shows both the Camino Torres and this Caminho da Estrela? Am I right that the Torres heads west and up through Portugal in Salamanca, while the Caminho da Estrela heads west from Caceres? Do the two intersect, merge, or connect at any point along the way?

We are on our regular holidays in Caceres

Enjoy Cáceres and its province! Some nice places and landscapes there!

Am I right that the Torres heads west and up through Portugal in Salamanca, while the Caminho da Estrela heads west from Caceres?

The Torres leaves from Salamanca and goes Southwest till Ciudad Rodrigo where it starts to go Northwest to Braga and Ponte da Lima.

The Via da Estrela leaves from Cáceres and goes Northwest till Braga.

Do the two intersect, merge, or connect at any point along the way?

There are parts of the Via da Estrela on Portugal that aren't marked so I don't know the exact route. If they followed the old roman road, both routes should intersect for the first time close to Vila Cova da Lixa before arriving to Vila Cova da Lixa (i.e.: somewhere Southern) because the Camino Torres doesn't pass through Freixo Cima but Southern while OTOH the Via da Estrela passes through Freixo Cima. From there (Vila Cova da Lixa) to Braga, it would be something like the Levante and the Sureste where they run close to each other meeting themselves sometimes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's not the same route but some of the info there can be useful for those planning to walk the Via da Estrela.

Yes I has some doubts because here they talk also about Zarza la Mayor. But yes useful info. Evenmore I think that the people of this route can give good advice about the Estrella.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.