• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte, flight suggestions and albergues

Time of past OR future Camino
I planned on starting my trip in May of 2020 flying from Seattle to France then getting a hopper to Biarritz then staring in Irun. COVID changed my plans. Now I will arrive Sept 1 and am plannning on flying to Paris. But….. not sure, should I fly into Madrid?or Pais? Any suggestions? I could rent a car in Madrid and drive to Irun. I beside myself with excitement!
Also, does anyone have a list of albuerges for the N route?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You will find that car rental which involves drop-off and crossing borders can be a very expensive activity and navigating a car out of Paris might give you a grey hair or two. Take the train and nap. Trains from Madrid to San Sebastian are frequent, and you have a choice of a local train or a bus to get to Irun. If you fly to Bilbao, I believe that there is a bus from the airport to San Sebastian and from there, the abovementioned local train or bus to Irun.

rome2rio will give you times etc. There you will also find information on flights from Paris to Biarritz, trains to Biarritz, and buses to Biarritz. Once you get to Biarritz, it is a short taxi ride over the border to Irun. Or you can take a local bus, or walk the 27km.

The first week of walking from Irun to Bilbao is the toughest stretch of the del Norte, but is quite spectacular.

I planned on starting my trip in May of 2020 flying from Seattle to France then getting a hopper to Biarritz then staring in Irun. COVID changed my plans. Now I will arrive Sept 1 and am plannning on flying to Paris. But….. not sure, should I fly into Madrid?or Pais? Any suggestions? I could rent a car in Madrid and drive to Irun. I beside myself with excitement!
From Seattle, the most efficient connections are probably none of the above. First suggestion would be fly to Paris, as you plan to do (you should be able to get a non-stop from Seattle) and then take the train to Hendaye from the Gare Montparnasse. From Hendaye you just walk out of the station, turn right and in a couple of hundred yards you'll cross the bridge and be in Irun. This will involve far fewer modes of transportation and changes then flying to Madrid, Barcelona or Bilbao, not to mention Biarritz. There's an airport bus directly from the CDG airport in Paris to Gare Montparnasse, and from there frequent trains to Hendaye.

Equally easy would be to fly to San Sebastian (if you can get good connecting flights from Seattle). As pointed out above, the San Sebastian airport is actually on the outskirts of Irun so you can walk into town from there, or start walking right from the airport, which is less than a mile from the Camino.

I rely on google flights for best flight connections. It shows, for example, a very efficient 1 stop flight from Seattle to San Sebastian on Lufthansa and a non-stop to Paris via Delta.

I'm pasting in a map from Windy Maps showing how close the "Gare" (station) in Hendaye is, and also the airport. (Look for the plane symbol below Hondarribia). The blue line running out of Irun is the Camino. The red line is an alternativo. You could spend your first night in Irun or Hondarribia (more charming than Irun), or else just start walking right away. There are some albergues and casa rurales on, or right off, the route several kilometers into the climb out of Irun.
1640197984406.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yep. The Norte is the easiest Camino to get to, since it starts (ok, 1 km away) from the terminus of a main TGV line! Starting from anywhere in France, head for Hendaye on the TGV......

If there is a good connection for your flight in Paris to Biarritz, and there might be, flying to Biarritz is not a crazy idea......but you still need to get to Hendaye from there, so why bother? Pro tip - most Biarritz flights from Paris leave from Orly, not CDG which is where you will arrive.

flying to Biarritz is not a crazy idea......but you still need to get to Hendaye from there, so why bother?
Why bother? WHY BOTHER?!?!! Because Biarritz is the best! And the walk from there to Irun is delightful: great coastal views and a stop at St Jean de Luz! That gets my vote!

We’ve walked twice from Biarritz (Norte and to SJPdP) and have loved it. You can walk right from the airport, too. Both times we connected through London, flying SFO-London, touring a bit, and then continuing on to Biarritz on a bargain-basement US 15$ flight (plus $15 for carryon luggage😂!). I know that there are flights there from Barcelona, Paris, and elsewhere, too, as well as the train that most pilgrims take enroute to SJPdP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Totally agree with all the comments praising Biarritz and the lovely coastal walks. But if it were me, and given the crazy ups and downs of covid, I would plan to land in Spain and leave from Spain. Who knows what things will be like in September 2022, but I personally would plan to avoid border crossings. Hopefully that turns out to be crazily ridiculous in September 2022, but looking at it now, it seems prudent.

Who knows what things will be like in September 2022, but I personally would plan to avoid border crossings. Hopefully that turns out to be crazily ridiculous in September 2022, but looking at it now, it seems prudent.
That’s our thinking too Laurie. And for that reason, given we will be flying in to Paris and spending time with family and friends there and in SW France, we are considering walking in France as well - probably Chemin du Piedmont and Voie de la Nive - rather than making our way to Seville for the VdelP as planned.

At the very least, even if we do decide to walk in Spain, we will stay north, avoid internal flights and travel by train or bus when needed.

Not saying that it’s all not do-able (of course it is) but after the last two years, we are all for making things as uncomplicated as possible in a complicated situation. 😎

The walk from Bayonne to SJPdP and onto Lourdes is lovely - I highly recommend it! Easier if you know French, but doable without. Basque Country is beautiful and Lourdes is something to see, even if you are not Catholic. You can continue on to Toulouse and the Mediterranean Sea if you have the time, too. Definitely not a “second best option” option at all!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The walk from Bayonne to SJPdP and onto Lourdes is lovely - I highly recommend it! Easier if you know French, but doable without. Basque Country is beautiful and Lourdes is something to see, even if you are not Catholic. You can continue on to Toulouse and the Mediterranean Sea if you have the time, too. Definitely not a “second best option” option at all!
Thanks @Vacajoe We too love the Basque Country and will definitely spend a few days there and probably walk for a few days along the coast from Bayonne. We have walked the Le Puy, the Arles and the Stevenson Way - and so, if we walk a Camino in France rather than Spain this coming spring, I think it will be the Chemin du Piémont.

My French is ‘ca va’! But fortunately for me, my husband is French so the language is covered 😍 🇫🇷 ❤️

Apologies to all others for talking this post on a brief French detour!

@1deniseB July 2019 for my del Norte Camino from Boise. I always find it cheaper and quicker to fly into CDG from the Northwest USA. I’ve done it plenty of times. BOI-SEA-CDG. I stayed one night in Paris at a hostile. (found on Booking.com) It was nice to walk around Paris to help rid me of jet lag. The next morning I walked to the train station for an easy ride to Hendaye then a quick walk to the alburgue in Irun. Easy Peasy.
I use Rome2Rio to find my transportation options in Europe. Happy planning.

Buen Camino 😎👣

Last edited:
Or fly to Barcelona, and take the 6 AM commuter plane to San Sebastian airport (which actually is in Irun) and start walking out of the airport right on the camino!
You might also look into flying to S.Sebastain (EAS) from Madrid. From the NYC/PHL airports, there are many more direct flights to MAD than BCN. In 2019 I flew AA/Iberian into MAD (Terminal 4S) and after a 30 walk I was at my gate (Terminal 4) for a 45 min. flight to S.Sebastain. Oh, I should mention that the additional cost of adding EAS to my ticket was minimal but ticket prices are a bit crazy and I'm not certain what the 2022 pricing will be. Lastly, this was a much easier option than the previous year when I flew to Paris and connected to Biatriz (headed to SJPP).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You might also look into flying to S.Sebastain (EAS) from Madrid.
Just to add that the San Sebastián airport is actually located in Irún. It’s about a 20 minute walk from the airport to downtown Irún. According to google maps, the airport is 1.5 km from the Irún albergue. It is a perfectly safe walk.

Hondarribia is equally close to that airport.

A friend and I are planning to start the Norte in April (I know things don't look great right now, but a lot can happen between now and then.) We are flying to San Sebastian (via Madrid). As someone mentioned above, the ticket price to San Sebastian from Madrid was reasonable.

If you do fly from Paris to Biarritz (favored vacation spot for European kings and emperors), take the bus into town from the airport. Enjoy the old town. Take the No.10 bus from mid town to the railroad station about 5+ km south of midtown. Take the local train to Hendaye. At Hendaye walk 100 meters south on the east side of the station and take the Spanish train on into Irun. Leave Irun with water and snacks for the whole day. And some one euro coins to use in the cold drink vending machine at the bar just beyond the Santuario de Guadalupe. The bar will likely be closed. If you are fit take the high route with beautiful views. If not, stay on the lower route. If on the high route when you come to the fence of the radio station, the yellow arrow is on the right, lower end of the fence. I hope it has been repainted since 2017. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great advice, but DON’T take the bus into town!!!!!! Walk instead 😎. Truly, it isn’t far and there is something really special about starting your Camino from the tarmac as everyone queues up for a bus…

Hi 1deniseb
Awesome plans. When I did the Norte I flew into Madrid then as I recall I took a bus all the way to irun.
Lately as I have been checking flights for 2022 I see that the best rate is to fly into Paris or a nearby by city. I mean starting the camino with a few days in Paris is a great way to get off on the right foot. Then oddly the best cheapest return flight to the USA for me is to jump on a plane in Barcelona. That was the best rate.
I have been using Skyscanner to check various rates. The Norte will blow your mind with its beauty tranquility history and just amazing vista's that will stay with you forever. Oh yes the wine is pretty great too😋. Buen camino

From Seattle, the most efficient connections are probably none of the above. First suggestion would be fly to Paris, as you plan to do (you should be able to get a non-stop from Seattle) and then take the train to Hendaye from the Gare Montparnasse. From Hendaye you just walk out of the station, turn right and in a couple of hundred yards you'll cross the bridge and be in Irun. This will involve far fewer modes of transportation and changes then flying to Madrid, Barcelona or Bilbao, not to mention Biarritz. There's an airport bus directly from the CDG airport in Paris to Gare Montparnasse, and from there frequent trains to Hendaye.

Equally easy would be to fly to San Sebastian (if you can get good connecting flights from Seattle). As pointed out above, the San Sebastian airport is actually on the outskirts of Irun so you can walk into town from there, or start walking right from the airport, which is less than a mile from the Camino.

I rely on google flights for best flight connections. It shows, for example, a very efficient 1 stop flight from Seattle to San Sebastian on Lufthansa and a non-stop to Paris via Delta.

I'm pasting in a map from Windy Maps showing how close the "Gare" (station) in Hendaye is, and also the airport. (Look for the plane symbol below Hondarribia). The blue line running out of Irun is the Camino. The red line is an alternativo. You could spend your first night in Irun or Hondarribia (more charming than Irun), or else just start walking right away. There are some albergues and casa rurales on, or right off, the route several kilometers into the climb out of Irun.
View attachment 115238
I flew to Paris took the bus to Mont Parnasse station and train to Hendaye. It all went quite smoothly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Better to avoid a second country (in this instance France) due to differing Covid regulations. Many Americans fly to Oporto in Portugal and overland or fly to the Basque country. The rail network in the North of Spain is Amtrak standard (tortuously slow). Bus is more frequent and flexible.

View attachment 115238
Thank you so much, this information is wonderful!

Why bother? WHY BOTHER?!?!! Because Biarritz is the best! And the walk from there to Irun is delightful: great coastal views and a stop at St Jean de Luz! That gets my vote!

We’ve walked twice from Biarritz (Norte and to SJPdP) and have loved it. You can walk right from the airport, too. Both times we connected through London, flying SFO-London, touring a bit, and then continuing on to Biarritz on a bargain-basement US 15$ flight (plus $15 for carryon luggage😂!). I know that there are flights there from Barcelona, Paris, and elsewhere, too, as well as the train that most pilgrims take enroute to SJPdP.
H, there we're looking at flying to Biarritz and walking from there. Any tips on route out from the airport? We would arrive around 1400 and are lokking at staying first jight in Bidart.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Unless you absolutely need to visit Biarritz or Bayonne, I’d suggest you make your way from the airport directly onto the path that follows the river. That will save you many kms/miles and should get you to Bidart sooner.

Definitely use maps.me or a similar app to choose a path as the camino markers are sporadic at best.

Email me at vacajoe@yahoo.com for more step by step advice. Overall, though, definitely follow do it!

Unless you absolutely need to visit Biarritz or Bayonne, I’d suggest you make your way from the airport directly onto the path that follows the river. That will save you many kms/miles and should get you to Bidart sooner.

Definitely use maps.me or a similar app to choose a path as the camino markers are sporadic at best.

Email me at vacajoe@yahoo.com for more step by step advice. Overall, though, definitely follow do it!
Thanks for that. We thought it through and decided to walk to the railway station (30 min) catch a train to Hendaye (30 min) and then walk to a pension in Irun (30 min)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.