• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte in June

Dorian Gray

Itinerant Observer
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello, just saying hi! Planning on walking del Norte starting mid to late June with two people I met last year on the Frances. From looking at the elevation on the first day, I imagine it's going to be a lot like crossing the Pyrenees from SJPdP: a hell of a way to start the first day!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello, just saying hi! Planning on walking del Norte starting mid to late June with two people I met last year on the Frances. From looking at the elevation on the first day, I imagine it's going to be a lot like crossing the Pyrenees from SJPdP: a hell of a way to start the first day!
The first week is like crossing the Pyrenees every day - but with more ups and downs. 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've done the Norte twice and would not compare the first day with SJPP to Roncesvalles which I have also done twice. There are ups and downs most everyday but not long. I personally don't understand when people say how hard it is. The biggest problem on the Norte is all the asphalt, especially in Cantábrica.

I've done the Norte twice and would not compare the first day with SJPP to Roncesvalles which I have also done twice. There are ups and downs most everyday but not long. I personally don't understand when people say how hard it is. The biggest problem on the Norte is all the asphalt, especially in Cantábrica.
Well that's good. The first part about it not being as bad, not the asphalt part. Much like last year, I'm going to have to ease my way in the first week not having kept up with walking, so not having it be terrible in the beginning will be nice.

Is it actually walking on the asphalt the entire time or are there non-asphalt shoulders to walk on next to it?

In regards to the steep uphill the first time I did this Camino I walked with an Italian and we didn't do the steep upclimb the second time I did it on my own I did the stairs and it was a bit hard for me . How can one bypass this with taking a bus.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well that's good. The first part about it not being as bad, not the asphalt part. Much like last year, I'm going to have to ease my way in the first week not having kept up with walking, so not having it be terrible in the beginning will be nice.

Is it actually walking on the asphalt the entire time or are there non-asphalt shoulders to walk on next to it?
Sometimes this is possible but not always. My suggestion is not to wear hiking boots. I personally wear trail runners which are light and are not so hard on the joints. I was also glad I did so on the Portuguese coastal and interior routes where setts (that's the term for those cobblestones in Portugal) can do you in.

If you want a great visualization of the first week of the Norte, check out the vlog series by Efrén Gonzalez on YouTube. It helped me a great deal to see it in such detail before making the decision to walk the Norte next summer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Since 2009 I run a small hotel with bar and vegetarian restaurant on the camino francés. It was a dream come true when we could buy this house and in 2 years we restored it into a hotel with 3...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Male 61 years old, single and after a major unexpected change in my life I need a solo trip to figure out some life. I also hope to possibly get some direction. I have never traveled alone but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.