A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Camino during Christmas?

We have been thinking about doing the last section of the camino over christmas of this year and wondered if anyone has advice? My husband is an ice climber so for him - no big deal. I hate the cold but something about the camino is calling me...flying in from the US, a week to spend and no rush, which camino? What to bring? What to prepare for? I speak Spanish - just wanting to learn from you experienced pilgrims!

Hi Tsevig,
Welcome to the Forum. Not sure what you mean by the last section of the Pilgrimage but for the moment I'll assume you mean from approx Sarria - 100 or so kilometres to Santiago. I only have experience of the Camino Frances , and not in winter, but I think that within 100 km of Santiago the weather conditions won't vary a great deal.
Sorry for the ice climber, it's not like the North Face of the Eiger! There may be snow (depending where you start) but I think the cold will be more associated with dampness rather than the dry cold of some areas; I think the damp cold penetrates more, but of course it's at the times when you are not moving.
Walking in winter has it's problems in that some refugios and hotels will be closed and over Christmas there may be additional problems, but bear in mind that the big celebration in Spain is 6th January. I don't know if the Spanish people travel during this period or stay at home but it may be something to investigate. I think that if you stay in refugios you will have no problems with heating but don't forget that the days are short for walking in daylight. The CSJ has a guide about walking in winter.
Hope you get more posts to help you on your pilgrimage.
Buen Camino,

I've heard a couple of times that to stay in "Ave Fenix" in Villafranca del Bierzo on Christmas is something special.

I know, too, about the special celebration of New Year in the albergue in Fisterra.

Usually the weather will be quite cold but not snow, just rain. The exception points (snow, of course) are the highest, Cebreiro, Cruz de Ferro. Depending on where do you plan to start.

Ask about next open or closed albergues where you stay every night.

Hope to be helpful.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • March

Votes: 17 5.0%
  • April

Votes: 58 17.2%
  • May

Votes: 83 24.6%
  • June