• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CAMINO END OF APRIL 2009

macilona

My husband and I are in our 60's and are starting our pilgrimage only from Burgos on 28 April 2009 due to time constraints. Are there any other people who have not started at the beginning?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Macilona,

Welcome to the Forum
I think you'll find people start from lots of different places. However, I can't help you much as Helen & I (About the same youthful age as you young guys) start our first Camino 10 days earlier in Saint Jean.
I'm sure the experienced hands here will be able to help you as they come "on line".
I believe that May 1st is a big holiday in Spain so watch that for your planning.

Buen Camino
Col

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Pilgrims begin their journey in a wide variety of places. Last year I began in Moratinos, half way between Burgos and Leon. There are as many reasons as there are places to start, so please don't feel that you are "only" beginning Burgos. Some of us simply can't begin walking at our doorstep - but in reality, having made the pilgrimage to Santiago twice, I truly believe that you begin your journey when you get the idea to go. The travel to the "starting point" is also part of the journey.

Burgos is a beautiful city - allow yourself a day or so to see it before you set out. I have never stayed in Burgos - I stayed away from the cities and the typical crowds at the "end of etapa" albergues, so I am not much help there, but you will find many pilgrims here who can provide you with much sound advice.

Buen Camino,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walter Starkie said that the Camino Frances started in Paris! Burgos is as good a place as any to start walking from.
You will be walking across the meseta and over two mountain ranges - including the highest point on the camino frances just after Manjarin at 1517m (and O Cebreiro 1300m). It might still be cold so take warm clothing!

Hello bravehearts,
I started my Camino walk on April 30th, '08, from Roncesvalles. The weather was really cool, sunny & perfect for the first two weeks. Then the rains came - 23 days of it, though not solid rain after awhile. There was some flooding in Santo Domingo, but somehow we managed to stay just ahead of it. Our pack covers (essential) and our ponchos kept us somewhat dry & very comfortable. The Camino was not crowded at all until we got to Sarria, where lots of folks & Spanish students start their walks. Even then, finding places in refugios was not difficult. After spending a smelly night in a crowded refugio, we decided to stay in smaller places if possible. Clothing & boots can become
smelly at the end of the walk!
The weather was unusually wet last April/May, so who knows what your weather will turn out to be
like. We always managed well as we believe the Camino always provides.
Buen Camino
P.S. I did the walk at 65 & there were many folks older than myself on the walk.

Hi Macilona,
People start from many different points along the way. The pilgrim stats here http://www.archicompostela.org/Peregrinos/Estadisticas/estadisticas2006.htm#POR ITINERARIOS give you some idea for 2006-7. If you look at "PUNTO DE COMIENZO" you'll see that many start from Sarria, and from Leon, Cebreiro, Ponferrada etc. By the time you reach Leon, you will be 'old hands', and you will possibly find the increasing numbers from then on a surprise.
Also, if you look at the age breakdown stats, "POR EDADES", you'll see that many people in their 60s were pilgrims. I must admit there were a few times on my Camino when fit people in their 70s left the rest of us behind in their dust!!

I am sure the months until April will race by for you now. All the best!
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back