• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino for Koreans

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What is your feeling to meet so many Koreans on the camino ?

No different from meeting other nationalities. I have always found Koreans particularly polite, friendly and charming, so I am always pleased to meet them, especially in the albergues.
Jill

I think it doesn't matter at all from wich country they are coming from. And many people walking the Camino don't do it for a religious reason. There are so many more (spirituell, meeting new friends, doing the challenge, fleeing from a hectic environment, job stress,...)
Everybody, irrespective of nation, belief, sexual orientation, skin color, whatsoever, has every right to do the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No different from meeting other nationalities. I have always found Koreans particularly polite, friendly and charming, so I am always pleased to meet them, especially in the albergues.
Jill
No problem what so ever , pilgrims are coming from all over the world.

Wish you a wonderfull journey and a Buen Camino , Peter .
Thank you. Me and my wife are excited thinking to join the camino in May. Buen camino !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I cannot speak for the people of Spain (but I have always found them to be gracious hosts), but as a fellow peringrino I am tell you that I am delighted to see Koreans on the Camino. As an occidental, I always find pleasure in noting how others can be so very different from me but at the same time so very much the same as me. The world is full of beautiful diversity and I find Koreans and many others on the Camino a reminder of that beautiful diversity. Long may it continue.
Aidan

My son had a year of Korean in high school, and he was overjoyed to meet someone he could practice with.

I have been doing tae kwon do for 15 years, and in general have a very positive attitude towards Koreans - whether on the Camino or elsewhere...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
These days many Koreans are rushing to SJPP for camino de santiago irrespective of purpose for religious reason, job stress, challenge etc.
One of the most wonderful aspects of the camino is meeting people from all around the world. You realize people are more the same than different, and the world is wider than your own country - good camino lessons. I was amazed at meeting some pilgrims who spoke no Spanish or English because I admired their tremendous courage to travel, and we all learned that the camino has its own language. May you and your wife enjoy the journey. Buen Camino.

I met many Koreans on the Camino last April/May. I enjoyed meeting them and found them to be fun, joyful companions. Going into Portomarin, on the very slippery rocks, I had a hard time with my 70 year old arthritic body. A young Korean woman held my hands going down and helped me negotiate this slippery area. Getting to know Koreans was one of the many blessings of the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not Korean, but I'd much, much rather have an eating vacation in Seoul than in Madrid, not that I take "eating vacations." Are there any markets along the way that sell basic Korean staples? I sometimes take Shin Ramen and dried mushrooms on back country backpacking trips.

I met many Koreans on the Camino last April/May. I enjoyed meeting them and found them to be fun, joyful companions. Going into Portomarin, on the very slippery rocks, I had a hard time with my 70 year old arthritic body. A young Korean woman held my hands going down and helped me negotiate this slippery area. Getting to know Koreans was one of the many blessings of the Camino.

Younger Koreans yield their seats to older people on buses and trains almost every time in their country. Your anecdote is not surprising.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed the diverse Korean folks I have met in my two Camino's. For everyone who walks the way of St James, regardless of the reason, the purpose is always hyphenated. It could be a religious-adventure, a job stress relieving-adventure or a very long walk over an extended period of time-adventure. Whoever you are and wherever you come from, the -adventure is what we all share and what brings us together.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife and I walked from Leon to Santiago in Sept 2016, when we were in a little village in Galacia we met a group of Korean school children who were singing and playing (drums) their way to Santiago.We had a great time of fellowship and friendship and joy with them, they became one of the highlights of our Camino, What a joy and life changing gift the Camino is, the gift of togetherness of people from all walks of life is evident in every step of the "way"

These days many Koreans are rushing to SJPP for camino de santiago irrespective of purpose for religious reason, job stress, challenge etc.

I was excited to see the South Korean flag in my Facebook feed this morning. My son-in-laws family immigrated to the US from South Korea when he was 7 and my four granddaughters are half Korean. I am going to assume there is no prejudice in the question but rather you are wondering "why?" and "what's the attraction to Koreans?" In fact, there are books about the Camino written in languages all around the world. Korea has a large, faithful Catholic population and there have been some very popular and inspirational books written in Korean about the Camino and it is my understanding there is a strong online network of people interested in the Camino.

PS: I know North Korea is in the news a lot these days, and I am sure most people reading this know this...but just to be sure, I am going to say it anyway... :) Despite being just a DMZ away, the cultures of N and S Koreas are worlds apart. And much like the immediate post-war Germany, families are split on both sides of the border. Hopefully someone from Korea will post also to fill in or correct whatever facts I may have missed.

I share a hotel room in Leon with a young Korean girl. We got on very well. We had the hotel to recover our different illnesses as the allergies only let us stay one night. I think her name was Hey Yong.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In my last experience as a hospitalero, we had a Korean family stay with us - grand parents, parents and children, all of them delightful.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

It is interesting how you can meet different nationalities in waves on the camino. In late Sept 2013, on the Norte, almost everyone we met was German speaking. We would all go out for dinner and there would be 2 large German speaking tables (Austrian, Swiss and German pilgrims) and one small table of the mixture people (dutch, italian, english, czech, belgian and the guy who walked all the way from Russia.)

I'd much, much rather have an eating vacation in Seoul than in Madrid,
Me too! I was lucky enough to spend a week in South Korea while my son and his girlfriend were teaching there. Soooo much good food!
I walked with several young Korean women last year. It seemed like there were quite a few traveling solo at the time.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The more the merrier as Healthful said. I met many delightful people on Camino, among them many delightful Koreans.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Camino itself will welcome you...as will the people you meet. To this day, walking the Camino Frances is the best trip I have ever taken. BTW, on our second trip we befriended an extraordinary young Korean woman with whom we hope to always be in touch. (That would be "Kira" and if she is reading this, she knows how treasured is her friendship.)

I always look forward to meeting young Koreans on the Camino. They are friendly, and full of adventurous and joyous spirits. Older Koreans from the US or Canada seemed more cautious and stand-offish sometimes. I will be walking again starting May 8 this year (this time with my younger brother's wife) and hope to run into you.

I liked all the Korean's I met. In fact there was nobody I didn't like on my camino.
I kept bumping into two Korean brothers and though they spoke limited English we were able to communicate our pleasure and surprise that we kept meeting up in albergues and bars. At one point I noticed that there was only one of them and he came over to explain his brother had a problem with his foot and had gone on ahead by bus. For that reason my Korean pal said he was going to do a 40km stage and he'd leave me behind for good and wished to say a formal goodbye.
Here's us both together for the last time.IMG_2159.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I sent you a Private Message please check, thanks

I met many Korean pilgrims in 2014. Kind, happy, generous, Christian, people who enjoyed the camino experiences to the fullest. Koreans have my deepest respekt. Many of them sacrifise so much to be able to do the Camino. In Korea you have no vacations or holydays, but one day every year. In order to do the Camino they save money for the event, quit their job and go ... hoping they will get a new job when they return. I think walking the Camino means more to many korean people than to very many of us.
I will walk again this year, and I will look forward to meeting people from all over the world and I will surely enjoy meeting korean people.
Buen Camino :-D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Thomas, I think that every nationality should be included in walking the Camino and I have found them to be very quietly spoken and thoughtful people. My only concern is that I have noted in other forum discussions that they tend to carry a lot of money (due to lack of trust in banks) and have become targets previously for robbery - that would be my one and only concern - for their safety. Nothing else.

I maintain Facebook contact (fairly minimal) with a dozen Koreans I have met. They are great pilgrims. My one question is why so many have chosen the winter to walk. I have noted that many are very tentative about the food (not unlike Americans in Korean restaurants!!).
We prefer the spring for the camino like you, but we Koreans have the longest break in the winter like about 2 months vacation of colleges.

Hi Thomas, I think that every nationality should be included in walking the Camino and I have found them to be very quietly spoken and thoughtful people. My only concern is that I have noted in other forum discussions that they tend to carry a lot of money (due to lack of trust in banks) and have become targets previously for robbery - that would be my one and only concern - for their safety. Nothing else.
The reason why we carry so much cash with us is not because of lack of trust but fear of the transaction fee. Everyone brings the cards to draw money at ATM/ to pay in credit just same as you.

€46,-
The reason why we carry so much cash with us is not because of lack of trust but fear of the transaction fee. Everyone brings the cards to draw money at ATM/ to pay in credit just same as you.
Hi Thomas, I hope you didn't take my response as a slight - my intention was only for concern and quoted from previous forum threads where it was reported numerous Korean pilgrims had been targeted. I don't like transaction fees either but I have found that Citibank has no fees anywhere and I have now used this in Korea, India, Singapore and now will be taking it to Spain - they have outlets in nearly every country and advise you how to do ATM transactions so as not to incur those fees. Definitely worth a look into perhaps?

I was excited to see the South Korean flag in my Facebook feed this morning. My son-in-laws family immigrated to the US from South Korea when he was 7 and my four granddaughters are half Korean. I am going to assume there is no prejudice in the question but rather you are wondering "why?" and "what's the attraction to Koreans?" In fact, there are books about the Camino written in languages all around the world. Korea has a large, faithful Catholic population and there have been some very popular and inspirational books written in Korean about the Camino and it is my understanding there is a strong online network of people interested in the Camino.

PS: I know North Korea is in the news a lot these days, and I am sure most people reading this know this...but just to be sure, I am going to say it anyway... :) Despite being just a DMZ away, the cultures of N and S Koreas are worlds apart. And much like the immediate post-war Germany, families are split on both sides of the border. Hopefully someone from Korea will post also to fill in or correct whatever facts I may have missed.
Have you ever met one from N
Hi Thomas, I hope you didn't take my response as a slight - my intention was only for concern and quoted from previous forum threads where it was reported numerous Korean pilgrims had been targeted. I don't like transaction fees either but I have found that Citibank has no fees anywhere and I have now used this in Korea, India, Singapore and now will be taking it to Spain - they have outlets in nearly every country and advise you how to do ATM transactions so as not to incur those fees. Definitely worth a look into perhaps?
Seeing my sons with plastics, who are home on vacation, and young people who pay a small amount at a convenience shop, we still find ourselves fond of cash because we may be prevented from a impulse buying and stress of credit as well.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back