• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances 10th October 2016

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm a Weggie who lives in Canada starting from Sjpdp solo on 13th October. I was planning on wearing
more conventional hiking clothes. I'll say "Hello" and "Buen Camino" now 'cause I walk slowly so I
doubt I will be catching up with you :)

I am looking forward to seeing a photo of you two kilt-wearing pilgrims ;-) Buen Camino everybody, SY

Buen Camino kilt pilgrims

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm a Weggie who lives in Canada starting from Sjpdp solo on 13th October. I was planning on wearing
more conventional hiking clothes. I'll say "Hello" and "Buen Camino" now 'cause I walk slowly so I
doubt I will be catching up with you :)

Hey Scotnorth...don't underestimate the comfort of a hike kilt. Offer to buy a round and Kevin and I might slow for you...we shouldn't be hard to spot ;);)

Leaving from Logroño 15.10 so I guess you will pass me on the way. I will say hello!

Hey Scotnorth...don't underestimate the comfort of a hike kilt. Offer to buy a round and Kevin and I might slow for you...we shouldn't be hard to spot ;);)
Hi @Bumpa and Kevin. Great offer but there is slow and then there is me... I'll definitely stand who guys ( and myself ) a wee refreshment if I catch up to you...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Kevin and Bumpa, I am starting on the 13th so may run into U guys, pants and underwear for me though, may be a bit harder to recognize....:)

haha, Say hello If you see us Marc. Buen Camino.

Alas...I have had to move my departure date forward to Sept. 24th. The good news is that I may bear the brunt of the early discussion about kilt wearing. I'll clear the way for you Kevin :) Got my airline tickets today. Time to spread my gear all over the living room floor for the umpteenth time to the good hearted sighs of my wife:(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Happy days Bumpa! Yes you can tell everyone that you are walking with a really slow Scotsman & you had to leave me behind!! lol!! I am also getting my kit together & am going to get a couple of decent Hikes under my belt in September to get into it!! Plenty options up here on Skye to choose from!! If I hear the barman say ' Oh no, not another Jock' I'll raise a glass to you!! Haha!! Buen Camino!!

Alas...I have had to move my departure date forward to Sept. 24th. The good news is that I may bear the brunt of the early discussion about kilt wearing. I'll clear the way for you Kevin :) Got my airline tickets today. Time to spread my gear all over the living room floor for the umpteenth time to the good hearted sighs of my wife:(
@Bumpa
Another Canadian and slow walker, leaving from Oloron Ste Marie in France on Sept. 15. I shall be arriving in Puenta la Reina to continue walking the rest of the Frances around ten or twelve days later. I should be very surprised if you do not catch up with me. You will have to recognize me by my avatar, as that is my walking kit. I carry a red Gregory backpack with camino forum and Canadian Company of Pilgrims badges. I will introduce myself if I see a man in a kilt. Buen camino.

@Bumpa
Another Canadian and slow walker, leaving from Oloron Ste Marie in France on Sept. 15. I shall be arriving in Puenta la Reina to continue walking the rest of the Frances around ten or twelve days later. I should be very surprised if you do not catch up with me. You will have to recognize me by my avatar, as that is my walking kit. I carry a red Gregory backpack with camino forum and Canadian Company of Pilgrims badges. I will introduce myself if I see a man in a kilt. Buen camino.

albertagirl.....there may be more than two of us....if you say hi to all...you may meet a lot of interesting people:rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Happy days Bumpa! Yes you can tell everyone that you are walking with a really slow Scotsman & you had to leave me behind!! lol!! I am also getting my kit together & am going to get a couple of decent Hikes under my belt in September to get into it!! Plenty options up here on Skye to choose from!! If I hear the barman say ' Oh no, not another Jock' I'll raise a glass to you!! Haha!! Buen Camino!!

He may be saying that because I raised one too many to you ;) I was on Skye a number of years ago. Rented a car and drove to the top. Enjoyed the instructions for meeting traffic on the one lane road.

albertagirl.....there may be more than two of us....if you say hi to all...you may meet a lot of interesting people:rolleyes:
@Bumpa
In person, I am very shy with people whom I do not know, and tended to not talk to unknown men on my camino last fall. But I assume that most men in a kilt will speak English (I used to know a few words of Gaelic). And having met you on the forum gives me a reasonable introductory cue. I may meet lots of interesting men in kilts.

Last edited:
@Bumpa
In person, I am very shy with people whom I do not know, and tended to not talk to unknown men on may camino last fall. But I assume that most men in a kilt will speak English (I used to know a few words of Gaelic). And having met you on the forum gives me a reasonable introductory cue. I may meet lots of interesting men in kilts.

By all means say hello if the opportunity exists. I will look for you. I am a 72 yr old man with grey short hair, a bushy white beard, a green osprey back and as you know...a kilt. We westerners need to stick together...I spent many years in Saskatchewan with the RCMP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
By all means say hello if the opportunity exists. I will look for you. I am a 72 yr old man with grey short hair, a bushy white beard, a green osprey back and as you know...a kilt. We westerners need to stick together...I spent many years in Saskatchewan with the RCMP.

That should be a green Osprey PACK not back. Although, no telling what the back will look like after 700 plus kilos. I noticed SYates liked your comment about meeting men in kilts and earlier she replied to a post by Kevin and I about pictures. We may have to all meet :D

That should be a green Osprey PACK not back. Although, no telling what the back will look like after 700 plus kilos. I noticed SYates liked your comment about meeting men in kilts and earlier she replied to a post by Kevin and I about pictures. We may have to all meet :D
@Bumpa
OK, but I'm going to pretend that all I know about you is you are on the forum and you wear a kilt: lots more chances to speak to any interesting looking guy in a kilt.

I hope you don't plan to put all these 700kg into the pack/bag in one go ;-) SY *hoping to meet you all one day*

I guess that "back" instead of "pack" wasn't the most serious typo????

Scotsman leaving solo from Sjpdp on or around 10th October.

I'll be the one in the kilt!!

Say hello!!
Hi Kevin! I'll be heading out from SJPDP around the 10th, give or take a couple days. I imagine we'll run into each other along the way

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kevin! I'll be heading out from SJPDP around the 10th, give or take a couple days. I imagine we'll run into each other along the way
Hi Kails, I'll say hello!! My departure date is also give or take a few days, cant wait!!

Just a wee update as time draws near. I will be in Sjdpp on the evening of the 4th October and plan to start my Camino on the 5th, or maybe the 6th as I am just coming of a 3 month work stint and may require to be more physically & Mentally ready, which that extra 24hrs will provide. I'll still be the guy in the kilt!! Say hello!! T minus 12 days.................. Buen Camino!!

Sounds like a great plan.

That's too funny, I'll be heading out on the 6th likely. Arriving in SJPDP later on the 4th or morning of the 5th. So I won't know until the week of either.

I'll be sure to say hello :)

Just a wee update as time draws near. I will be in Sjdpp on the evening of the 4th October and plan to start my Camino on the 5th, or maybe the 6th as I am just coming of a 3 month work stint and may require to be more physically & Mentally ready, which that extra 24hrs will provide. I'll still be the guy in the kilt!! Say hello!! T minus 12 days.................. Buen Camino!!

Hey Kevin...bumped my time forward and I'm sitting in Toronto Airport waiting for a flight to Barcelona. Starting from Roncesvalles on Sept 26. I'll still be in kilt though

Hello to anyone starting from sjpdp around October 11. I've been planning this for 5 years and ready or not here I come!

Sounds like a great plan.

That's too funny, I'll be heading out on the 6th likely. Arriving in SJPDP later on the 4th or morning of the 5th. So I won't know until the week of either.

I'll be sure to say hello :)

Hope we get a catch up Kails, not sure on how big Sjpdp is, but I'll keep a look out for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Kevin...bumped my time forward and I'm sitting in Toronto Airport waiting for a flight to Barcelona. Starting from Roncesvalles on Sept 26. I'll still be in kilt though
Maybe catch you on the road Bumpa? Buen Camino Bud!!

Maybe catch you on the road Bumpa? Buen Camino Bud!![/QUOTE

Hey Kevin...still slogging along? How goes the battle? I am now back in Canada after 400 k's in a kilt and at least 8 to 9 requests for photos a day. Only had the time to complete half the Frances but it was an experience. I am interested in how you are doing. Hope all is well...Jim

@Bumpa,
I am sorry I missed you. I am still slogging along- over the high point (Manjarin) on the Frances yesterday and I hope to get to Ponferrada today. I am getting really good on the up hills but still find steep downhills daunting. No men in kilts have appeared so far, but I remain hopeful. I expect to see a few on the morning after I get back, Nov. 11, as the Calgary Highlanders appear in all their glory at the cenotaph ceremony. And my thanks to you and all those who serve or have served for our safety.

@Bumpa,
I am sorry I missed you. I am still slogging along- over the high point (Manjarin) on the Frances yesterday and I hope to get to Ponferrada today. I am getting really good on the up hills but still find steep downhills daunting. No men in kilts have appeared so far, but I remain hopeful. I expect to see a few on the morning after I get back, Nov. 11, as the Calgary Highlanders appear in all their glory at the cenotaph ceremony. And my thanks to you and all those who serve or have served for our safety.

I'm sorry I missed you as well. You are moving along quite well...only another 200 K or so to go...well done. Keep up the good work. I got to Sahagun before my time ran out and then took a train to Madrid for the flight home. Let me tell you after twenty odd days on the Camino....A couple of days amidst 3 or 4 million people was a shock to the system.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.