• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances 2012: May-June too busy?

marianb

I am planning on walking the camino Frances alone next year (I am a 23 year old woman from the US). Considering my other travel plans, I would like to walk starting early to mid may, but it seems that may-June is one of the busiest times. Will it still be worth it? I have heard horror stories of people rushing to get beds at albergues, etc, whereas I am looking to simply hike the authentic camino and not feel rushed or overcrowded. Can anybody provide insight on what the camino is like during these months? Would September be a better alternative? I am simply looking to enjoy the camino, make friends with other hikers, and learn as much as possible. I am happy to simply see where the camino takes me. Like I said...any insight or advice is much appreciated!

Buen camino,
Marian

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
September will be less crowded, but May/June is not as busy as July/August.

No one can make you rush but you!

Options:

Set your itinerary for places that are not destinations in the major guides.

Stop in the early afternoon.

Spend a little more, and stay in hotels/hostals.

Feeling rushed is often a result of wanting incompatible results, e.g. walk until 6 p.m., but get a lower bunk. The self-help books are wrong; you cannot have it all. Pick one goal, and it is much more achievable.

Have fun!

Marian,

I am happy to simply see where the camino takes me.

Be that the case, and since you didn't give a time table (duration to complete), let the Camino decide for you.

Most horror stories are taken out of context: are there folks that rush here and rush there...sure there are. The why is the key: they have a set number of days to walk and they "need" to find a bed. They already lead a "rushed" lifestyle and can't let go. From your subject. That doesn't appear to be the case.

Unless:
Considering my other travel plans,
Then all bets are off.

whereas I am looking to simply hike the authentic camino

Not sure what that means...other than you end up at the Cathedral in Santiago. If you desire to receive the Compostela...then, that does require you walk the last 100 km along whatever "named" Camino you choose. On a bike...the last 200 km.

Can anybody provide insight

May I suggest that you check out the Pilgrim FAQ at the top right of the page...good basic info there. Also,

The Camino Frances topic section for specifics from and on all possible happenings on this Camino.

I am happy to simply see where the camino takes me.

Again, if that is truly the case: "Don't worry...be happy :D "

Let the Camino lead you on an adventure that will test your resolve to
learn as much as possible

Buen Camino

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Marian, I'm from the U.S. too (San Diego), I walked the Camino last year during the period you're thinking about and did not experience any problems regarding crowding or anything related to that even though it was the holy year and a lot more people were walking. Though the last leg was more crowded only once did I and the people I was walking with at that time not get into an alburgue we desired, but it worked out better because we saw a new one as we were walking into town and went to that one, also the municipal alburuge was wide open in that village too. I departed St Jean on May 22 and arrived in Santiago on June 23, I enjoyed walking during this time of the year, the mornings were normally cooler to walk, I would normally leave about 6:30-6:45 walk for about an hour to the next village stop for breakfast (just a personal choice I liked getting a few kilometers behind me), walk for 3 or 4 hours take a break and I would usually arrive where I wanted to stay for the night about 2 PM, the afternoons were very warm so I desired to get settled in, do the daily chores (washing me and my clothes) and rest a bit, also if I needed to go to a store or pharmacy I tried to do it at this time, they close for the afternoon from about 2 till about 5 or 5:30 (siesta time!) The earlier posts were right on in the regard that some people feel a need to rush, get up early (disturbing others) and race to the next place they desire to stay, there was not a need to do that, I just recommend remembering their faces and if you end up at the same place try to sleep as far as possible away from them because they'll be off to the races again the next morning. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me, I have packing lists and travel info for coming from the U.S. if you desire.
Ultreya,
Barry

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked on the Camino Frances in June 2008 and although there were a lot of people on the Camino, I never had a problem getting a bed. I think the major time to avoid is around the public holiday of May 1st when a huge number of people start all at once. If you leave a week or so after that, the tidal wave of pilgrims will have moved through a bit.
Margaret

I have just returned from the Camino Frances and if I had to do it over again I would definitely not walk again in May but rather start mid-April. While the weather was amazing with 2 short showers on one day only and the rest of the time it was quite hot, the number of pilgrims was quite astounding. The first 5 days after Roncesvalles were very stressful as so many pilgrims got up in the dark at 5.30 and left in the dark, just to be able to get to an aubergue before mid-day so we all ended up doing this frantic dash. Zubiri was completely full by abut 2.00 pm and Larrasoaina was also full up before 3.00 pm. After Cesar Menor, things improved considerably as the crowds began to thin out and often I walked on my own all day. The only time I could not get into an aubergue was at Hospital da Consdesa, which I believed was full up by 2.00 pm. However, things were very hectic from Sarria again when accommodation and crowds became a problem yet again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
BHfmSanDiego said:
I walked the Camino last year during the period you're thinking about and did not experience any problems regarding crowding .........
Barry
Autumn and Spring are my preferred times to walk the Camino although Easter can be very busy. I once walked during the whole month of October and the Albergues were never full. It was chilly at night and early mornings but it was excellent for walking and there was no overcrowding.

I have seen a 'Bread Riot' on Easter Sunday at Logrono where pilgrims were pushing one another out of the way to get in the Albergue when the doors were opened. In busy times , people can sometimes forget themselves , even on one of the most holy days of the year. :roll:

Hello Marian:

I walked the Camino Frances this year Starting in SJPdP on March 24th, arriving in Santiago on April 25th. This was a beautiful time to walk. It was Spring and everything was in Bloom. There were no issues with beds or rushing and no crowds until Sarria. It was Easter week and all of Spain was on holiday. Still no issues getting a bed but the trail became much less peaceful.

If I were to change anything, I would start on April 1st and stay at Orisson the first night. Unless you are a very good hiker, the first day can be very tough. I recommend people break this first day into two because it is the toughest day of the hike and effects everyone (Physically) the next few days.

I am not sure how much time you have but 40 days or more is nice. It would give you time to deal with any type of injury you might have or time to explore places of interest along the way.

No matter what time you decide to go, I am sure all will be fine. The Camino has a way of providing wht you need. If you have any particular questions about my experience or the Camino in general, please feel free to PM me.

Buen Camino,
Joe

I will begin to walk from Pamplona May 18 2012 and have 3 weeks to get where I can before my flight home from Madrid. I too wonder about how busy it will be. But i amfine with staying iin hotels .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I plan to begin my Camino from SJPP on May 28 or 29, depending on the train schedule, and anticipate completion some time around the first week of July. Flight has been booked, with a one week "cushion", so now I will just go with the flow of MY Camino. Best wishes to you! May God be with us all.- M :arrow:

start early, finish early - you'll have no probs finding a bed! We walked it in July 2011 ( the busiest month in holy year) and had a truly authentic experience except for the time we reached Sarria which was just jammes with most people shouting chatting on phones etc & too many bikes. Thats when we reconsidered our route & started staying in the intermediate accomodation suggested in our books which meant that we saw no-one until we reached Santiago & we able to walk alone. Amazing!
Buen camino perigrino!

I am planning on walking the camino Frances alone next year (I am a 23 year old woman from the US). Considering my other travel plans, I would like to walk starting early to mid may, but it seems that may-June is one of the busiest times. Will it still be worth it? I have heard horror stories of people rushing to get beds at albergues, etc, whereas I am looking to simply hike the authentic camino and not feel rushed or overcrowded. Can anybody provide insight on what the camino is like during these months? Would September be a better alternative? I am simply looking to enjoy the camino, make friends with other hikers, and learn as much as possible. I am happy to simply see where the camino takes me. Like I said...any insight or advice is much appreciated!

Buen camino,
Marian[/QUO

hey, how was it ? im looking to start my journey at the end of May , any suggestion for first time ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Marian never revisited the Forum after her initial post on Apr. 20, 2011, so she likely will not have a report for you!;)

I have no time limit. I want to avoid the July August rush and thought May would be a nice time. Because I have no defined time limit would starting in April be better? My only concern would be being able to find a place to stay should I want to walk 2 hours or 8. I would like the option of the most Alburgues being open. Not a big fan of rain

Albergues on the CF are usually open, with only a few exceptions, the week before Easter as that is when many Spanish people take time off to do another stage of their Camino. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.