• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - 3 week plan - need advice

sparkart

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
Hi All
I’m planning to do the Camino Frances next year, starting at the end of September or the beginning of October to celebrate 10 years since I’ve had my scoliosis surgery :)

However, not only am I constrained by time due to work, I still need to look after my physical health (despite my determination). Therefore I’m looking at a 200-300km journey, something I can do in 3 weeks.
I was thinking of a couple of options:

A. Start at Pamplona, bus(es) from Los Arcos to Ponferrada or Sarria, & walk the remainder
B. Start at Leon, finish in Santiago

At the moment Option A is more appealing to me due to the places and things I want to see in this section of the Camino, but I just wanted to know if you feel otherwise.

I also wanted to know if I’ll have trouble continuing the accumulation of stamps for having jumped a large section of the camino. Should I start a new passport for when I start in Ponferrada or Sarria? I heard things could get pretty strict with obtaining the stamps.

I know some may suggest to do a section every year until I reach Santiago, but that’s not an option I want to do. I would appreciate it if no one tries to convince me otherwise :) After all, I could do the whole of Camino Frances on the 20 year anniversary of my surgery :D

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here's my opinion, whether it's wise or not I will leave to you. :) I would have a strong preference for the second option. Leon to Santiago is a long enough stretch to give you a sense of the rhythm that sets in when you continue day after day after day without interruption. It's a huge part of the camino magic for me. Also, you will make a "camino family" which will be much harder to do with the two segment approach.

I assume from your comments about wanting to do 200-300 km over 3 weeks that you are looking to walk 10-15 km a day. If you think you will be walking more you could always do a little "advance tourism" before Leon to see the places that you refer to, and then start walking in Leon. Nothing wrong with Option A but it just wouldn't be my choice. Buen camino, Laurie

I personally would do Leon to Finnesterre, but you will get many ideas. It is all good.
Keith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All
I’m planning to do the Camino Frances next year, starting at the end of September or the beginning of October to celebrate 10 years since I’ve had my scoliosis surgery :)

However, not only am I constrained by time due to work, I still need to look after my physical health (despite my determination). Therefore I’m looking at a 200-300km journey, something I can do in 3 weeks.

A. Start at Pamplona, bus(es) from Los Arcos to Ponferrada or Sarria, & walk the remainder

At the moment Option A is more appealing to me due to the places and things I want to see in this section of the Camino, but I just wanted to know if you feel otherwise.

I also wanted to know if I’ll have trouble continuing the accumulation of stamps for having jumped a large section of the camino. Should I start a new passport for when I start in Ponferrada or Sarria? I heard things could get pretty strict with obtaining the stamps.

I know some may suggest to do a section every year until I reach Santiago, but that’s not an option I want to do. I would appreciate it if no one tries to convince me otherwise :) After all, I could do the whole of Camino Frances on the 20 year anniversary of my surgery :D

Hi, I don't have a opinion about your question. I think the choice is yours and what ever you decide it's a good choice.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

My first Camino in 2012 was from Leon to Santiago, then on to Finisterre. I would recommend your 2nd option as well, starting in Leon. Having the 3 weeks of unbroken walking is truly a gift, and you still get to experience many changes in terrain from Leon to Santiago. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi All

I did the Burgos to Santiago section in 2014, skipping the Meseta (took the bus) and the mountains (took a train from Astorga to Sarria) I totalled 280 kms. in 19 days. This past year, 2015, I walked from SJPP to Burgos without skipping any sections and did 320 kms. in 19 days. Both of these efforts were very satisfying and I did not wear out my "old body". Averaged around 20-24 kms a day and took a rest day every week for any injuries or recovery. Hope this helps and Buen Camino! Susan of Canada

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for your input and suggestions everyone! I really appreciate them!

I am leaning towards a variation of Option A:
Walk Pamploma > Logrono
Bus Logrono > Sarria
Walk Sarria > Santiago (> Finnesterre) (I heard Sarria is the most popular starting point so I could build a second Camino family from there :D)

The main advantage of the Leon to Santiago (> Finnesterre) plan is definitely the rhythm and building a Camino family. But I should’ve mentioned that I’m also hoping to be inspired and create a series of artwork upon completing the Camino.

While I know the whole experience of the Camino is exciting and beautiful (even the so called boring or industrial places will be considered interesting to me) I’m curious to know how varied the sights are between the two options. I've heard great things about the sections in the first half but barely anything about the sections in the second half.

I’m also assuming that I wouldn’t have a problem with the stamps if I happen to go with my first option?

Hi! I'm another fan of the original Plan B, for the same reasons as Laurie and others. It gives continuity, but also flexibility - you can continue to Finisterre (or even begin at the end of the Meseta in Sahagun?) if time allows.

Personally I don't like the variation of Plan A. It puts the hectic Sarria section right in the middle, which for me is a time when you would ideally be getting into your stride and really feeling comfortable with yourself and your surroundings. If you start in Leon, you'll find yourself in the mountains around the middle of your Camino - much better! If I was going to skip, I'd make a more radical variation and skip from Logrono to Ourense and walk the last 100kms of the Via de la Plata instead.

All of that said, the area around Pamplona, Estella, Los Arcos etc is magical, so I totally understand where you're coming from.

I'm not sure about stamps, but I don't think there would be a problem unless the albergue at the start of your second leg was busy and gave priority to those who had walked that day. If you're staying in a hotel it wouldn't matter - the Pilgrim Office in Santiago are mainly interested in the last 100kms, so make sure you get one in Sarria, wherever you stay! Buen Camino!

Well, here is another fan of the original plan B. The reasons were mentioned already: there is a real beauty in walking a continious stretch without interrupting it by taking busses. Not too enthusiastic about the variation of plan A either, for the same reasons as tyrrek mentioned.
I am afraid you will always miss a beautiful section, whatever choice you make. The area around Pamplona is beautiful, but the walk from Burgos to Leon is beautiful as well, so...... I guess you always miss out on something, which perhaps can also be a reassuring thought.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm with those who suggest Plan B. My 1st Camino was just that--Leon to SdC. It was magical. There's beauty, variation (in scenery and in terrain), and plenty to be inspired by. The added gift of continuity is so special--both of the walking and of the community. Plan A doesn't give you that--but as tyrrek says it plonks you down in Sarria in the middle of the walk. Speaking just for myself, that would be a challenging adjustment to make.

Thanks for your input and suggestions everyone! I really appreciate them!

I am leaning towards a variation of Option A:
Walk Pamploma > Logrono
Bus Logrono > Sarria
Walk Sarria > Santiago (> Finnesterre) (I heard Sarria is the most popular starting point so I could build a second Camino family from there :D)

The main advantage of the Leon to Santiago (> Finnesterre) plan is definitely the rhythm and building a Camino family. But I should’ve mentioned that I’m also hoping to be inspired and create a series of artwork upon completing the Camino.

While I know the whole experience of the Camino is exciting and beautiful (even the so called boring or industrial places will be considered interesting to me) I’m curious to know how varied the sights are between the two options. I've heard great things about the sections in the first half but barely anything about the sections in the second half.

I’m also assuming that I wouldn’t have a problem with the stamps if I happen to go with my first option?

Galicia is stunning, lush with rich colours and textures. An artist, you say? The whole Camino is a moving tapestry!
I developed a new "family" almost every week....there is an expression that you see everyone on the Camino at least 3 times so there is an overlap.
As far as stamps are concerned, my understanding is that as long as you have 2 stamps a day from Sarria to Santiago that covers the request for your credencial. I made sure that I always had a stamp from either a coffee shop or restaurant as well as the Albergue I stayed in that night.
Any other thoughts, anyone?
Hope this helps.
Susan of Canada

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Clearskies brings up an issue that suprised me. It is amazing how much you will miss people you walk with after walking a couple weeks. I still email with them. Yet some may pass before an opportunity would allow for a reunion. Very good souls make the walk. So just another thing to be aware of.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back