• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances, in reverse, in a car.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Jul-Aug 05, Frances, Jul-Aug 06, Portugues, Oct 2010
Only slightly less exciting than the fact that I'm getting married next Saturday is the thought that following the big day we'll be heading to Spain for our honeymoon. After a couple of days in Madrid we're taking the night train to Santiago; we'll stay 2 nights there then we're picking up a hire car and making our way across northern Spain before flying back home from Bilbao.
We were thinking of spending the first two days re-visiting our favourite Camino places between Santiago and Leon (we've both walked the Camino separately and it would be wonderful to share them together), but given the luxury of a car, are there any "off camino" places you could recommend that would be worth visiting for lunch / sightseeing? We'd already thought of going to see the Medulas, but is there anywhere less touristy?
I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to staying in a nice hotel in Santiago, and not the Seminario Menor.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Felicitaciones in advance of your big day.

Will it not be quite dangerous to reverse along the Camino Frances route? Make sure you take out the All Inclusive insurance cover :wink: .

Seriously, your plans sound great. All the very best for the future.
Mig

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, don't diss the Seminario menor! :D

Congratulations to you both!

In 2007 my husband joined me for the last bit of the Camino from Sarria.

We hired a car (from DoYouSpain) and drove to Fistera, then up to Lugo where we spent a night. Then we spent four nights - at Oviedo, Catrojeriz, Santo Domingo do Silos and Roncesvalles - and left the car at Pamplona before flying home a couple of days later.

are there any "off camino" places you could recommend that would be worth visiting for lunch / sightseeing?

It depends on your interests, but whilst you're in Galicia there is the Ribeira Sacra, famous for its ancient monasteries, but also its wine :D There is a website with an english translation, the english translation is a laugh in itself, mostly that needs translating as well. There is a monastery near Portomarin, but most are in the Sil valley. Whatever you do: Congratulations!
Sue

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All The best for next Saturday. Regarding Las medulas, I would give It a try! My brother met up with us near Ponferrada ( with car) and drove us up to Las Medulas. We didn't see any other visitors (agreed it was end September) and the site is really fantastic. Well worth the visit! Anne

congratulations!
Cacabelos area - valle del silencio - smaller places around maragateria - puebla de sanabria - going over towards Braga. all good.
go north of Leon - in to the picos de europa. visit fuente de parador, potes, garganta de cares, riano.
we too spent much of our honeymoon on and around the camino but in navarra and pyranees.
all the best,
Duncan.

may i congratulate you both firstly

secondly, the picos, potes, and funte de are excellant ideas.Also the monastry neer potes...one of the 5 most holy sites in Christianity!
Oviedo...and cider street are fun...the contrast of thier cider pouring in austuria comparded to cantabria is incredible. You may take a day or two in LLanes...good beach.Also google cavadonga...and the white madonna half way between oviedo and potes....theses are all things where a car is best....before you get to Bilbao...a romantic night in Santilla del mar?

all in all...a great taster to go and do the canino del norte together one day

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back