• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino frances starry night

Novos

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hi here,

Will be in the camino on late August (2x.08), been wondering, how is the sky during nights?

Are most of albergues in places where light pollution is low? Which means i'll be able to see the stars or even the milky way with my bare eyes?

Do you know if there's a specific place that provides a telescope?

Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
the middle of the Meseta is magical at night, far from cities and industrial pollution, 900 meters altitude... Yes, you often can see the Milky Way, and a zillion stars, too -- and satellites and space junk too. Only two downsides: there are a lot of windmills, with blinking hazard lights, along some of the horizons. And sundown happens late in August. The sky won't get really black until about 11 p.m., when most pilgrims are fast asleep in their beds.

The only pilgrim albergue I know that keeps a telescope is Albergue Hospital San Bruno, here in Moratinos. I have one, too, but prefer to use a set of sky binoculars, or just naked-eye viewing. It is superb when the moon is down and the meteors are showering!

When I walked the Frances I had the opportunity to sleep outside twice due to lack of beds in the albergues. Both times were wonderful, I woke up in the middle of the night and watched the night sky laying in my sleeping bag. The next day I was a bit sore from sleeping on my pad on the ground but it was worth it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked the camino Frances last august I walked the stage between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza at night with a few friends and we had an amazing night view because there are no villages between those two! Also we didn't had to suffer that 17 km in the sun without shade :D I would totally walk that part again at night, but of course never walk alone at night! And it's best to have a headlamp (although we turned ours off once we were on the romain route so we could see the sky better :D )

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
the middle of the Meseta is magical at night, far from cities and industrial pollution, 900 meters altitude... Yes, you often can see the Milky Way, and a zillion stars, too -- and satellites and space junk too. Only two downsides: there are a lot of windmills, with blinking hazard lights, along some of the horizons. And sundown happens late in August. The sky won't get really black until about 11 p.m., when most pilgrims are fast asleep in their beds.

The only pilgrim albergue I know that keeps a telescope is Albergue Hospital San Bruno, here in Moratinos. I have one, too, but prefer to use a set of sky binoculars, or just naked-eye viewing. It is superb when the moon is down and the meteors are showering!
I remember the night we spent at San Anton. I awoke (as usual) during the night to answer the call of nature, and since one has to go outside and walk several paces to the bathroom there, I was blown away by the views of the stars. It was during the dark phase of the moon, and the light of the Milky Way was bright enough that I didn't have to use a flashlight/torch.

When I walked the camino Frances last august I walked the stage between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza at night with a few friends and we had an amazing night view because there are no villages between those two! Also we didn't had to suffer that 17 km in the sun without shade :D I would totally walk that part again at night, but of course never walk alone at night! And it's best to have a headlamp (although we turned ours off once we were on the romain route so we could see the sky better :D )

Walking at night sounds great! I hope i'll find someone i could do it with.
I wish i could bring an astronomy binoculars. It weights a lot though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember the night we spent at San Anton. ........... I was blown away by the views of the stars. It was during the dark phase of the moon, and the light of the Milky Way was bright enough that I didn't have to use a flashlight/torch.
I've always wanted to walk on the meseta at night during a full moon, yet you mention the dark phase of the moon. I'm confused. If someone can explain this to me in layman's terms, I'd be delighted.
Curious as to what you did for lack of sleep that night. :)
There have been some great threads on the forum re walking at night. The night-walking aficionados are out there!

I remember the night we spent at San Anton. I awoke (as usual) during the night to answer the call of nature, and since one has to go outside and walk several paces to the bathroom there, I was blown away by the views of the stars. It was during the dark phase of the moon, and the light of the Milky Way was bright enough that I didn't have to use a flashlight/torch.
Sorry, I believe I understand the difference between the full moon and the dark phase. During the full moon there is beautiful moon light; during the dark phase, there's no moon light, of course, but the stars and innumerable and brilliant.....? :)

If you're on the camino around St Lawrence's day on August 10th and the following week, keep a good watch on Perseus (near the distinctive W constellation of Cassiopeia, almost directly overhead up here at the moment). On dark nights you can sometimes see 2-3, or even more, shooting stars a minute coming from Perseus and Medusa's head. These are las lágrimas de San Lorenzo. The meteor shower commemorates the martyrdom of St Lawrence, an Aragonés who was grilled to death in Rome in 258.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

yes it's wonderful, but you also will need a lot of good luck, for example the weather should be nice and clear (both for the stars and for yourself haha) and if you want to see the stars and the milky way you will need a sky with a "dark phase moon" (as mentioned before) And we were even lucky enough to see a lot of shooting stars!
With binoculars it would be nice, but you also see a lot with just your bare eyes :D

Curious as to what you did for lack of sleep that night. :)

We slept during the afternoon in Carrion the los Condes and we left only around 3 AM or 4 AM something like that so we did get a little bit of sleep that night, and after we arrived in Sahagún we went straight to bed haha And also I don't need that much of sleep :D

Sorry, I believe I understand the difference between the full moon and the dark phase. During the full moon there is beautiful moon light; during the dark phase, there's no moon light, of course, but the stars and innumerable and brilliant.....? :)
The dark phase of the moon is the period of several days before and after the new moon, when the moon either sets early or rises late, thus the moonlight does not interfere with night vision. It is the prime time for astronomical viewing -- unless, of course, your goal is to view the moon in all it's glory.

The dark phase ......is the prime time for astronomical viewing -- unless, of course, your goal is to view the moon in all it's glory.
I do recall seeing a myriad of stars on an inky black night years ago while in the midst of a tropical forest reserve, but I was too young then to appreciate the Milky Way. And I missed walking under the full moon while on the meseta in 2013 as the weather was awful during that time. So, I'd like to experience both; see the moon in all its glory, and see the Milky Way. Being a city dweller, the trick is to get the timing and weather to cooperate while on location elsewhere. Might require several caminos. ;)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back