• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from India ...

gracyelezebeth

Hello, Hola!

I plan to travel the Camino Frances in July 2016 from India. Getting a Schengen visa (for Spain) from India requires me to provide proof of accommodation reservations.

Can anyone here guide me about which albergues may accept and provide me proof of reservations in advance that I could submit for my travel documentation? I would prefer not to have to book in commercial hotels if possible.

Thank you so much!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello GraceElizabeth,

Welcome to the Forum!

Regarding your question on obtaining a visa while in India check out this similar request from an earlier Forum thread. Perhaps the same address links will help you also. In particular note the last post in the thread.

Please keep us informed re how you progress.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi Margaret. I see that you are still giving out wonderful and helpful advice on all subjects. Well done, please keep doing it.
By the way are you going walkies this year?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello GraceElizabeth,

Welcome to the Forum!

Regarding your question on obtaining a visa while in India check out this similar request from an earlier Forum thread. Perhaps the same address links will help you also. In particular note the last post in the thread.

Please keep us informed re how you progress.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith
Thank you Margaret for the pointer.
I have all the papers that i need for the visa processing except for the confirmed room reservation document .I wish there was a way to get this from some of the albergues along the camino even if it was for a fee. This would help us immensely.

Thank you once again

GraceElizabeth,

Perhaps you might book your first night in a private albergue to receive their confirmed booking receipt. 'Guestimate' your arrival date in Santiago, book that and with these two confirmations try for your visa.

Perhaps other Forum members have helpful suggestions for your quandry.

Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great news! How did you manage all the necessary paper work?
Staying your first night in SJPdP should be fun. You will be able to celebrate Bastille Day in France; perhaps there will be fireworks over the camino! By spending the night you will be able to meet so many other pilgrims also ready to start off the next morning.

Now you are truly on your way;
Buen camino!

Dear margaret. Here is what i did. I went to vfs global to submit my application & they refused to take my application for want of confirmed accommodation every single day .after consulting internally they asked me to email the council general in Mumbai explaining my case. The council general 's office got back atonce & asked me to submit all documents & said will get back after going thru my application.
I submitted my application on 27th may & my visa was stamped on 1st june.
i must also mention that i have a valid US visa . I hope this info is of use to anyone else who may be in similar situation.

in my purpose of travel letter i had mentioned my itinerary & showed confirmed airbnb stay in pampalona ,burgose leon & santiago.&madrid from where i fly back to bangalore.
i enclosed as many financial status documents as possible like bank , investment, property papers etc...

Have a nice day!!

Thanks for your detailed information on how to get your Visa from India for Spain. This should help many future pilgrims planning to come from India.

Good luck on your journey and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe a bit late but in case it helps :
For my friends who need schengen they use booking.com to make a reservation which can be cancelled.
There are also services who reserve flight and hotel for you, and then cancel later
I don't like this way of working but it is forced on us all.

hampshire!timuncomfortablost: 421303 said:
Maybe a bit late but in case it helps :
For my friends who need schengen they use booking.com to make a reservation which can be cancelled.
There are also services who reserve flight and hotel for you, and then cancel later
I don't like this way of working but it is forced on us all.
I know ...i was very uncomfortable with that so decided i'll say it like it is and hoped they would be fair to me n grant me a visa.

Thanks again

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back