• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles vs the Inca Trail

Varekai

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024, Camino Ingles
I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of number of days. It was tough going at times, especially on day 2 (the climb to Dead Woman's Pass will forever haunt me), but I did it. For those who have done both, how would you compare the two hikes in terms of difficulty? In my regular travels, I am quite comfortable walking 30-45K steps per day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have not walked the Inca Trail but I have walked the Ingles a couple of times. I've just had a look at an elevation chart for the Inca Trail. Impressive! I'm pretty sure you will find the Ingles much easier! :cool: For a start the maximum elevation on the Ingles is only just over 400m rather than 4,000m so there is no problem about altitude and oxygen levels. There are a few short steep hills on the Ingles but nothing even vaguely like the Inca Trail for ascents/descents. For the most part the Ingles is a gently rolling path across farmland and woodland. it is not mountain country.

Last edited:
If you consider the profiles of the Camino Ingles (available on https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles) and total elevation gain of some 3,300m with that of the Inca Trail, some 1000m, you’ll have an idea of the challenges. But do bear in mind that you are starting at sea level and the maximum altitude achieved is just over 1000m.

The challenges are different

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's only a short walk and there are buses if you decide it's not for you. Quite a lot of tarmac, though, as a percentage of the route. Pleasant rolling countryside and the last day is fairly flat. Don't know about the Inca trail at all but if you can walk every day for a week then you should have no bother at all.

Hi @Varekai I haven’t walked the Ingles but I walked the Inca Trail about 30 years ago. You will certainly not have the same ‘thin air’ on the Ingles nor I imagine the possibility of altitude sickness. From what I know of the Ingles there is no section anywhere near the difficulty (up or down) of Day 2 of the Inca Trail. I agree with this:

I've just had a look at an elevation chart for the Inca Trail. Impressive! I'm pretty sure you will find the Ingles much easier!

I enjoyed the Inca trail very much and looking down to Machu Picchu as the sun rose will stay in my memory forever as will the time exploring before the day tours arrived. On the other hand, even way back then the amount of human waste was disconcerting to say the least. Maybe walkers are more responsible in that regard these days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, everyone! I've looked at the elevation profiles for the Ingles. I've never walked it, but from my eyes, it doesn't look particularly strenuous from just looking at the data. Nothing compared to the Inca Trail, at least. But I've read loads of trip reports and a lot of people said that they had difficulty at several stages on the Ingles, especially leaving a few of the towns and stages approaching Bruma and Sigueiro.

But I've read loads of trip reports and a lot of people said that they had difficulty at several stages on the Ingles, especially leaving a few of the towns and stages approaching Bruma and Sigueiro.
Probably worth remembering that many people walk the caminos as their first experience of a multi-day walk. So they have little to compare it with and perhaps are not in the best of shape. There are a couple of short steep climbs out of Pontedeume and Betanzos which are probably difficult for the unprepared but they are soon past. The vast majority of the route is straightforward. I think that someone who has already walked for several days in mountain territory will not find the Ingles a serious trial.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, everyone! I've looked at the elevation profiles for the Ingles. I've never walked it, but from my eyes, it doesn't look particularly strenuous from just looking at the data. Nothing compared to the Inca Trail, at least. But I've read loads of trip reports and a lot of people said that they had difficulty at several stages on the Ingles, especially leaving a few of the towns and stages approaching Bruma and Sigueiro.
As @Bradypus says, the reports you’ve read are from people that likely have little experience, they’ve certainly never hiked something like the Inca trail!
I loved the Inglés, a very pleasant walk, with just a couple of very short, relatively steep sections. (Think a few hundred metres, not more!). As you say, NOT particularly strenuous- although that of course is very individual.
Nice scenery, more tarmac than I prefer, great services. Enjoy!!

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of number of days. It was tough going at times, especially on day 2 (the climb to Dead Woman's Pass will forever haunt me), but I did it. For those who have done both, how would you compare the two hikes in terms of difficulty? In my regular travels, I am quite comfortable walking 30-45K steps per day.
I did the the Camino Ingles in '21 and the Inca Trail in '22. There is NOTHING on any of the Caminos that even comes close to the climb to Dead Woman's Pass!! There are some hills of course and a steep section after leaving Pontedeume and one going into Betanzos. There is no issue on the Ingles with altitude; also, for the most part the trails are either dirt or asphalt and are even. One of the issues I had on the Inca Trail was the uneven stone steps. Just like you I did it and will be forever grateful for the unforgettable experience as it had been on my bucket list for years. So to recap if you rate the Inca Trail as a 5 in terms of difficulty in comparison the Ingles would be .5 or less. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. Buen Camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did the the Camino Ingles in '21 and the Inca Trail in '22. There is NOTHING on any of the Caminos that even comes close to the climb to Dead Woman's Pass!! There are some hills of course and a steep section after leaving Pontedeume and one going into Betanzos. There is no issue on the Ingles with altitude; also, for the most part the trails are either dirt or asphalt and are even. One of the issues I had on the Inca Trail was the uneven stone steps. Just like you I did it and will be forever grateful for the unforgettable experience as it had been on my bucket list for years. So to recap if you rate the Inca Trail as a 5 in terms of difficulty in comparison the Ingles would be .5 or less. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. Buen Camino!!

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to my first Camino. I love a good, long walk.

That climb to Dead Woman's Pass was something though, huh? A steep incline with no flat sections that kept going up and up for hours! It felt like it would never end!

Ingles will be a walk in the park for you. I have done both and Inca trail 10x more difficult....

I have walked both and you will find the Ingles very doable. No elevation anything like Dead Woman's pass. Enjoy, it is a great walk. I hope to do it again with a group next year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Ingles in September 2022. Found it enyoyable, not too difficult. Please keep us informed of your journey. Buen Camino..!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.