• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Movie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks f
Just watched a 2023 Danish movie on SBS called Camino and found it most enjoyable! I hope you

Just watched a 2023 Danish movie on SBS called Camino and found it most enjoyable! I hope you do too
Thanks for the heads up. I am an hour in but can’t watch anymore. I am finding it hugely irritating. Guess I’m a curmudgeon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just watched a 2023 Danish movie on SBS called Camino and found it most enjoyable! I hope you do too
Thanks for posting. I watched it last night and enjoyed it too. Of course, there were echoes of The Way - in this case two grumpy characters who didn’t want to be there, not to mention a bag of ashes - but I thought the cast were excellent, and the story developed nicely from its rather bleak first half. There were a few camino Francés locations, Cruz de Ferro, O Cebreiro (and Santiago, of course) but many locations were apparently filmed in Croatia. Not to worry, well worth a watch.

I just found this synopsis of the film if you're interested. I personally wouldn't describe it as a comedy!

"Despite the sad circumstances, this film is a comedy that explores how people experience grief, and how unhealed wounds resurface.
Regitze (Danica Curcic) is in her 30s and arrives late to her mother's funeral to come face to face with her estranged father Jan (Lars Brygmann). They have not spoken for years and have opposing views about life. Regitze mother was a priest and in her will, she requests that her daughter and husband go on a walking pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago in Spain to reconnect their relationship. This is a challenging request for Regitze and Jan as they both confront not only their grief but unresolved father-daughter conflict.
Jan regards Regitze as a 'disappointment' which is devastating for her, as she is the only child in the family. Jan is a stoic and depressing character very stuck in his ways, and through the shadow of grief, cannot accept offers of hospitality by other pilgrims walking the Camino.
Regitze has a big secret she wants to conceal from her father for fear of further rejection and criticism. However, she is open to trying to reconnect with Jan, despite his stubbornness. Both characters are trapped in their own grief and also have opposing views and values which at times are hilarious and at other times detrimental to the relationship.
Fortunately, they meet other pilgrims on the journey who try and lighten the load and intervene when the going gets tough for Jan and Regitze. There is even a little romance.
The film offers picturesque scenes from the Camino de Santiago walk, rustic cafes, and villages, and the perspectives of many other pilgrims from all around the world on similar journeys.
The film runs for a total of 105 minutes and is in Danish with English subtitles."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well @Cicada ...just watched 'Camino' & my vote falls in the 'ok' camp with a dose of 😫😤 thrown in.
In all honesty I was ready to ditch it at the 40min mark but persevered. I can definitely see why @Jan Jones bailed at 1 hour; enough already people..think of others around you & the impact your having on their camino!
Agree with @iamzazami overall & with @Rita Flower about throttling the Dad. Also as with @Peregrinopaul , I failed to see the comedy aspect...perhaps it got lost in translation? 🤔

So...was it data-worthy? I had plenty to spare... 😉

Thanks for posting about it Cicada ...wouldn't have found it otherwise nor would we have this interesting thread & cross-section of opinions. 🤗
Happy trails everyone...& let's hope we don't encounter walkers with that much baggage! 😇
👣🌏

Well @Cicada ...just watched 'Camino' & my vote falls in the 'ok' camp with a dose of 😫😤 thrown in.
In all honesty I was ready to ditch it at the 40min mark but persevered. I can definitely see why @Jan Jones bailed at 1 hour; enough already people..think of others around you & the impact your having on their camino!
Agree with @iamzazami overall & with @Rita Flower about throttling the Dad. Also as with @Peregrinopaul , I failed to see the comedy aspect...perhaps it got lost in translation? 🤔

So...was it data-worthy? I had plenty to spare... 😉

Thanks for posting about it Cicada ...wouldn't have found it otherwise nor would we have this interesting thread & cross-section of opinions. 🤗
Happy trails everyone...& let's hope we don't encounter walkers with that much baggage! 😇
👣🌏
Te he he, yes I’ve certainly met some difficult folk along the way with lots of baggage and I certainly haven’t walked unburdened . However, I have neither met anyone quite so self absorbed as those two nor so oblivious to the environment that they are walking through and the needs of their fellow pilgrims.
As for the “bring me toilet paper scene” I was appalled - oh sorry - please let’s not start THAT conversation again. 😉
Anyway - thanks everyone for turning my grump into good humour. And thanks Cicada, please continue to share .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Te he he, yes I’ve certainly met some difficult folk along the way with lots of baggage and I certainly haven’t walked unburdened . However, I have neither met anyone quite so self absorbed as those two nor so oblivious to the environment that they are walking through and the needs of their fellow pilgrims.
As for the “bring me toilet paper scene” I was appalled - oh sorry - please let’s not start THAT conversation again. 😉
Anyway - thanks everyone for turning my grump into good humour. And thanks Cicada, please continue to share .
de nada Jan.

Oh yes - the toilet paper moment. 😲🤯🙀
Let’s hope people understand this is another example of how not to behave.
And I am now reminded of the ‘sandals’ woman - a healthier example of how to process grief?
Thanks everyone for the chance to unpack the movie a little more.

Thanks to all for drawing my attention to the movie. I watched it yesterday and was left with a " I'm glad I watched it but I don't know why" feeling. There was so much that was not at all similar to walking a camino. I have 2 friends who are walking from Astorga this year and I hoped this would be a movie that would give them a heads up on the sort of terrain they would meet. I thought that at least they would see the lovely village of Rabanal del Camino. Nope. Nil. Nada. I have met people with that much baggage, but I must say that I wish I had not!

...I have neither met anyone quite so self absorbed as those two nor so oblivious to the environment that they are walking through and the needs of their fellow pilgrims.
Yes. 🙏
And what about the scene where they're taking a tour of the monastery? Her mobile phone was bad enough but what followed was far worse...selfish, self-centred, disrespectful & bordering on plain rude!
Thank goodness it's only a movie.... 🥴
👣🌏
Edited to add; actually @Jan Jones, the above mentioned scene may have been after you switched off...can't remember. 😉

Last edited:
Thanks to all for drawing my attention to the movie. I watched it yesterday and was left with a " I'm glad I watched it but I don't know why" feeling. There was so much that was not at all similar to walking a camino. I have 2 friends who are walking from Astorga this year and I hoped this would be a movie that would give them a heads up on the sort of terrain they would meet. I thought that at least they would see the lovely village of Rabanal del Camino. Nope. Nil. Nada. I have met people with that much baggage, but I must say that I wish I had not!
The lack of familiar CF scenery & my 'where was that?' moments are explained by @Peregrinopaul 's post upthread...it was mainly filmed in Croatia. 🤷‍♀️

And yep, I'd be giving that much baggage a very wide berth! 🤭
👣🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I tried to watch it, maybe thirty minutes or so but I found the atmosphere and two main characters so dreary and depressing. The actors must have trained very hard to not smile once and maintain a sad miserable look. Mind you, I do realize the plot is about a death in a family and an estranged relationship between a father and daughter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm right in between two Caminos and I was very happy when I found the movie.
I liked the movie, maybe because of that Camino feeling that immediately came back to me...

Some scenes were familiar to me, even though I didn't walk the French way yet.
Later I found out that part of the movie was filmed in Croatia, my homeland.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back