• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ninja vs Wise Pilgrim Comparison?

ridgwayk

Time of past OR future Camino
End of May-First of June 2023
I did a quick search but didn't see if there was a comparison between the two more popular apps, Wise Pilgrim and the newly re-released Camino Ninja App.

Just curious if there is there a feature by feature comparison of the two apps?

Thanks,

K

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did a quick search but didn't see if there was a comparison between the two more popular apps, Wise Pilgrim and the newly re-released Camino Nina App.

Thanks,

K
No. Why don’t you do one? I’m sure others would be interested in the results

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't forget the Buen Camino app. The vast majority of app using pilgrims on the Norte this year were using it.

I use all three. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and it depends on which format you prefer. Of the three I use Camino Ninja the least. It just doesn't have as much information as the other two. But I did find that its maps were the best between Lisbon and Porto last year.

I did a quick search but didn't see if there was a comparison between the two more popular apps, Wise Pilgrim and the newly re-released Camino Ninja App.

Thanks,

K
I used Camino Ninja on the Frances last year. Very helpful.
This year I’ve invested in Wise Pilgrim as well (because I wasn’t sure Ninja would be kept up to date - I think that’s resolved now), and a new free app CaminoTool that looks promising.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't forget the Buen Camino app. The vast majority of app using pilgrims on the Norte this year were using it.

I use all three. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and it depends on which format you prefer. Of the three I use Camino Ninja the least. It just doesn't have as much information as the other two. But I did find that its maps were the best between Lisbon and Porto last year.
Agreed about BC being most popular on the Norte. I had it but mainly used Wise for my day to day. I prefer the layout and more indepth info/comments about the places walked through. I do however like the stage planner in the BC (I believe this is a paid feature).

Mapy.cz proved to be the most useful and I had that app opened pretty much all day to ensure I was going the right way or was on the variant route.

I do however like the stage planner in the BC (I believe this is a paid feature).
The app requests a donation, but you can skip that. (I have used the app so much that I did donate, but that was after I discovered how useful it was)
Mapy.cz proved to be the most useful
I also used mapy.cz quite a bit, especially for coastal alternatives.

For those who are using Buen Camino - check out the video tutorial.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with another poster who said do a comparison and get them both. It is good to support as many people who are supporting the camino as possible. I doubt anyone is getting rich. I used the Camino Ninja app a little when it first came out. I also use Wise Pilgrim and mostly Buen Camino. I now use Buen Camino, WIse Pilgrim and Gronze.com for albergues that are open and more choices as I walk in late fall and winter. I use Buen Camino because I think it is really easiest for me to get to the GPS if I need it. I use Gronze for distances from one town to the next. I also use Gronze if I have to find an albergue that is not on the camino. Just click on the albergue you will stay at. It takes you to the albergue description and then I click on open map under the map and it takes you to Google Maps on your phone. Hit start and it will guide you right to the albergue. After a long day especially in a bigger town or city the last thing I want to do is get lost looking for my bed.
I will check out the Camino Ninja app when it has an IOS version. But to be honest for me it was not an app I liked using. We all have our own ways of doing things and each app has a different approach. Only the user will know which one works best. But whichever one you use please contribute to the developer.

Just click on the albergue you will stay at. It takes you to the albergue description and then I click on open map under the map and it takes you to Google Maps on your phone. Hit start and it will guide you right to the albergue.
Fwiw, Wise Pilgrim does this too. Tap on the address in the albergue description and voilĂ !

Fwiw, Wise Pilgrim does this too. Tap on the address in the albergue description and voilĂ !
A feature that I used a lot on the Wise app was the WhatsApp helper. When the albergue has a WhatsApp number it's shown with the green WhatsApp symbol. You can long press on it and there will be an option to send a WhatsApp message that's already composed in Spanish. I also make sure to add the place to my contacts which is quick and easy when you go through Wise Pilgrim because the name of the property will be automatically filled in on the contact screen.

Buen Camino used to be my go to app, but because of this WhatsApp feature I used Wise Pilgrim a lot more than on previous Caninos.

I like the stage planning feature on Buen Camino. The app will ask for a donation to unlock this feature, but if you scroll down there is a button to request access (I'm not sure if the exact wording). I helped several people do this, and the extra features were immediately unlocked.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks,

K
Don't know the paid Wise app. I have enjoyed working with Gronce for many years. I am having a bit of a hard time using Ninja. The app has a lot of info on local accommodations in addition to maps (but is extremely slow). For me, however, it is (apparently) difficult to find a particular place (village-town) (now here from home) and on the map the place name is often covered by hostel or hotel symbols. In my opinion a reasonable search function is missing.

Translated with DeepL

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used Camino Ninja on the Frances last year. Very helpful.
This year I’ve invested in Wise Pilgrim as well (because I wasn’t sure Ninja would be kept up to date - I think that’s resolved now), and a new free app CaminoTool that looks promising.
As for the newer Camino Tool, I keep getting errors when selecting the 'planner' option under the 3 bars in the upper left corner of the app. Sent a screen shot and note to the developers.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.