• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino now

Kristynka

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hello, I am considering the Portuguese Camino from Porto (Coastal plus Spiritual Way) and would like to ask those of you who just got back (or are there at the moment):
1) Is it worth it in this Covid situation?
2) Are there enough albergues open?
3) Are there any pilgrims on the route :D ? I am planning to go alone but I would prefer to meet some people on the way. Camino should also be about the atmosphere and meeting fellow pilgrims and I am afraid I might end up spending the whole time alone and with no place to sleep in :D.
And also, I read that the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela is under reconstruction so will it all be covered and inaccessible?
Thank you for your advice!
Kris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I finished Tui - Santiago one week ago. I intended to start in Porto, but there were basically no pilgrims and I jumped to Tui.

The albergues are open, but as I told you, very few pilgrims up to Tui. From Tui, the number of pilgrims was quite reasonable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, I am considering the Portuguese Camino from Porto (Coastal plus Spiritual Way) and would like to ask those of you who just got back (or are there at the moment):
3) Are there any pilgrims on the route :D ? I am planning to go alone but I would prefer to meet some people on the way. Camino should also be about the atmosphere and meeting fellow pilgrims and I am afraid I might end up spending the whole time alone and with no place to sleep in :D.
And also, I read that the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela is under reconstruction so will it all be covered and inaccessible?
Kris
Why are you worried Kristinka?
Go with a open mind, you are the most important and your Way. There is no such situation on the Way that the pilgrim cannot overcome.

Believe in yourself and go 😇

Thank you all! The thing is, I already bought flight tickets but the flight was changed couple of times and other obstacles came in the way that I start to believe that the universe is telling me to postpone my camino to next year :D ...

Thank you all! The thing is, I already bought flight tickets but the flight was changed couple of times and other obstacles came in the way that I start to believe that the universe is telling me to postpone my camino to next year :D ...
I think you would be wise to listen to the universe. The walk up from Porto is delightful and you should be able to enjoy it to the full without worrying about C19.
Bad things don't last forever - think of it as a chance to learn some Portuguese!

Bom caminho for whenever you do decide to set out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Kristynka!

I am planning to start on the Camino from Porto on the coastal way this weekend! I will let you know how I go with the albuerges, but as far as I've researched it seems like there are a few options! My intention was to walk the Camino del Norte and it seemed pretty expensive in comparison. Let me know when you start, we might cross paths :)

All the best for whatever you decide to do!
Jana

Why are you worried Kristinka?
Go with a open mind, you are the most important and your Way. There is no such situation on the Way that the pilgrim cannot overcome.

Believe in yourself and go 😇
Unless there is a lock down....I know since I was on the VDLP in March when everything stopped and we had to scramble since all the albergues and hotels and restaurants closed. We had to find an AirB&B in Caceres and hold there until we were able to book a flight back. Not at all fun and not at all fun for the Spanish. Spain is seeing a spike and no one knows how that will turn out..even in Portugal. Also, if you become infected, then what!!! Don’t put the additional burden on Spain and Portugal to take care of you. You do what you think is right...but I would not take the chance! You may believe in yourself, but also believe in science and wait for the vaccine.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kris
I’m currently in the middle of walking the St Jean Pied De Port to Logroño section of the Camino Frances. There are a few pilgrims, but they mostly seemed to be from SJPP to Pamplona. Over the last couple of days (I’m in Estella now), numbers have declined.
Due to Covid-19 concerns, I chose to stay in private rooms, but from all accounts, no shortage of beds in albergues.
On the subject of CovId-19, the lack of pilgrims on the road makes for natural social distancing. Masks are mandatory inside and outside (though many pilgrims and members of the public don’t follow this strictly in open countryside), but life is not too disrupted.
Having said that, the reason I went ahead with my trip is because I had so many flights and hotels booked at the end of last year so, with refunds at a premium, I wasn’t sure if I could use these credit vouchers that were on offer within the stipulated time.
I just wanted to get it done this year and I’m pleased that I went ahead and did it, but if nothing had been booked by lockdown in the UK on 23 March, I wouldn’t have planned a trip to do the Camino this year.
On that note, there are plans for a lockdown in Spain from 18 September, perhaps Spanish members of the forum have more news on this?

I’m currently in the middle of walking the St Jean Pied De Port to Logroño section of the Camino Frances. There are a few pilgrims, but they mostly seemed to be from SJPP to Pamplona. Over the last couple of days (I’m in Estella now), numbers have declined.

Ep!!

Who you are?

I'm in Estella tonight. Tomorrow I will sleep in Torres del Río. The next day I will sleep in Logroño.

If you see a Spaniard with a black backpack with a little orange ... it's probably me!

On that note, there are plans for a lockdown in Spain from 18 September, perhaps Spanish members of the forum have more news on this?

As far as I know, there are absolutely no plans for a new lockdown in Spain. What's more, it seems highly unlikely that this will happen. Of course, it is always possible, but the situation would have to get MUCH worse for this decision to be made.

Ep!!

Who you are?

I'm in Estella tonight. Tomorrow I will sleep in Torres del Río. The next day I will sleep in Logroño.

If you see a Spaniard with a black backpack with a little orange ... it's probably me!

As far as I know, there are absolutely no plans for a new lockdown in Spain. What's more, it seems highly unlikely that this will happen. Of course, it is always possible, but the situation would have to get MUCH worse for this decision to be made.
I stand corrected. It seems that the report I read was incorrect. https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...no-plan-for-second-lockdown-in-september/amp/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kris
We saw few pilgrims in '17, so I believe there would be even fewer now.

My wife and I walked the Portuguese Coastal route from Baiona last fall. There were very few people back then until we reached Rendondela where the other Camino Portugues meets up. We stayed in hotels and had our suitcase sent ahead each day. We got lost a few times in the first two days, but we eventually found our way. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back