• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino pack - where do I compromise?

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
I'm planning on Camino Class of 2014 and starting to pull together gear now based on what I read here and my husband's experience his last two trips (Pennine Way - UK 2012 and SJPdP - Burgos 2013). My Camino boots are both Keens - one pair (Keen Targhee II mid) well broken in, the other (Keen Verdi - extremely lightweight) have about 75 miles on them mostly on dusty desert hill hiking and my past weekend trip of 16L on wet slimy clay covered basalt. Both very comfortable and both have room for end of day feet swelling.

Pack wise I am shopping. I have a very short torso - 15.5", I am a 5'4" woman. So many packs are not made in an extra short. And I live in a small community 200 miles from Seattle so I don't have the luxury of trying on a bunch of packs with out a trip or ordering a bunch and returning what doesn't work.

I am looking in the 35-45L range (based on what my husband packed -Osprey Talon 44). On paper I can find packs that should fit my short torso but they are heavy (Lowe Airzone Centro 33+10, 1.5 kilo) or lightweight packs that fit but I don't like the features (Go Lite Jam 35 but I don't like the dry bag top closure and no lid among other things), or most of the lightweight in the Osprey line (Exos or Talon) but they are in the 16" torso range at best.

So I am thinking i ultimately worry about the fit first? Then weight? Then capacity? And lastly features? What order should my priorities be in?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fit. Fit. Fit. Everything else is secondary.

Depends what you mean by features. Things like chest ,hip belts and good shoulder straps make it easier to carry a pack. That means even if they add weight you may find it easier. Access points don't really add a huge amount weight. An added zipper isn't that much.

Obviously it needs to be big enough. If it's big enough capacity is a none issue.

I'm not a woman but found this :mrgreen:

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/wo ... /wander-50

I guess heavier then you want?

Heavier than I "prefer". I had the chance to try on (but not have loaded and fitted) the Osprey Jib 35 last weekend, also a youth bag but I think it it too narrow in the shoulders. Everything else (except weight at 1.45kg) was pretty good.

Yes on having a hipbelt, comfy shoulder straps, compression straps. My fantasy features are floating lid, side or bottom access in addition to the top access, drift collar with drawstring rather than dry bag closure, lid that opens to the back rather than to the back of your head, large stretch pocket on back of pack(mesh?), color other than black or blue, key fob/clip in lid.

I have a list at home of what packs (again on paper - no pace to try them) should work. It's a short list!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I, too, am in the "orbit" of the REI Seattle flagship store. REI has a terrific returns policy. I suggest you use it. Why don't you order both an Osprey Exos 46 Short and an Osprey Hornet 46 Short. Keep the one that fits better. Send the other one back. I believe you'll find the half-inch difference to be negligible.

I am a 5'4" woman with short torso as well, and found the Osprey Talon 35 to fit me very well for a 264 km walk last year. It comes in 2 sizes - I have the S-M version.

Agree that fit is the priority and you may have to forego some of your wish list. I am close to 2 REI's yet the packs I wanted to try were not stocked. I ended up purchasing online three packs, having them delivered (free shipping) to one of the stores, then tried them with the expert help of an employee. I too have a short torso length (16.5 inches) and have both the Osprey Talon 33 (the size sm. is 31 liters), and the Osprey Hornet 32 (size sm. is 30 liters) at home. Still deciding. They are Unisex and not cut specifically for women btw. But overall I like them. They are rather small, but gear fits!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi GreatDane,
Maybe if you look at the REI website, and do a COMPARE of 4 packs at a time (find a pack you like and press the COMPARE button under the price on the page that has all the packs shown) you will be able to pare down your choices. Then call REI's flagship store in Seattle to see if they carry the ones you've selected - they probably will! Then make one trip to have them fitted to you.
I'm a woman, shorter than you by 1.5 in, have a short torso, and rounded shoulders. They checked me with the Osprey Kyte 36 (XS/S) and the Gregory Sage 35 (XS) -- then decided the same Gregory but in a S was better at 35 L, 1.4KG, 16" - <18" worked best for me (but there are shorter torso lengths depending on XS and S - and be sure you're wearing a woman's pack). The folks at REI are professional at what they do, and will take as much time as you need to make a proper decision - including filling the packs with a combination of weighted things and fluffy things, then send you on a "hike" around the store and up and down the stairs so you can feel the pack on your back.
Good luck from a 68 yo woman planning to walk in Sep/Oct this year.

Thanks for all the comments! My local REI is one of the smallest in the system (up until 18 months ago it was the tiniest store they had!!) And I've been a member for like 35+ years. I feel like I spend every evening looking at specs! I did try on the Osprey Talon 33 in small tonight, adjusted to as short as it would go and it fit like a glove. Loved the weight, concerned that maybe the actual capacity might be too small. Tried the 44L and it was about 1.5-2" too big even in a small. Manager said they might be getting in the Exos in some smalls. Yes I could order them in but that costs me money up front!!!! (I have a lot of my gear and could borrow some of my husbands to fill in the gap to see if everything fits in a smaller capacity pack. He used his Talon 44 on his recent Camino and topped it off capacity wise if he put his boots in it)

I was on a road trip the past weekend hoping to try on a TNF Casimir Women's 36 but none of their stores have it in stock right now so I'll order it to try it on. I was able to try on a small GoLite Jam 35 but thought the construction was kind of weird and they didn't have a 50L in any size for me to try on.

Also on my list now is the Black Diamond Women’s Astral 40, Osprey Kyte 36, Gregory Jade 38,Gregory Freia 38 (If I can find the Gregorys in XS) and the Mammut Crea 40. Any comments on these? Am I over analyzing or what!!!!! I have an old Gregory G in small that almost fits.

Have you thought about trying an Osprey Youth pack - the Ace comes in 48l, Jib is 35l. Or how about Deuter women's packs? I initially got an ACT Lite 45+10, but when I packed everything in it I could see it was WAAAAAY too big, so swapped it for a 35+10. Not sure I'll ever use the +10 bit, so I can't see why a 30-ish litre pack shouldn't do for you. I'd really recommend packing your gear in it properly (I took mine to the store and stuffed it in willy-nilly, and so thought I needed the bigger pack, but when I had time to do it properly, there was no question about downsizing)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been talking with Kathey of the farofflands blog about her Jib 35 both before and after her recent Camino. She loved it and it worked fantastic for her. I was able to try one on this past weekend at the REI in Eugene OR and found it to be a bit too narrow in the shoulders for me. (the space between the shoulder straps where they hook to the top of the bag) A "finer boned" person would work well in this pack!!! Things she didn't like were no other bag access aside from the top and the zipper pulls felt like they were coated with sandpaper.

I'm having this exact problem as well. Nothing I try on fits properly due to my small size. I really love the Gregory Jade, but it's just too big around the waist. After lots of recommendations, I just ordered the Deuter Act Lite and Deuter Fox 40 (yes - a kid's pack!) since my local REI didn't have either in stock.

Let me know what you end up with!

I've just posted on another thread but will repeat in case it's useful:
Think about one of the Aarn packs. They come from a small New Zealand company and can be ordered online. The Featherlite Freedom can be ordered with a short or long torso, and the waistband can be ordered in a small, medium or large - the pack is fully adjustable up or down on the harness, the waistband is split in two and attached with Velcro so can be widened or shortened. Ask for the DVD explaining how it all works. I find the balance pockets on the front look weird but are superbly practical.
http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/feath ... eedom.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Lowe Alpine Centro 33+10 arrived about an hour ago. I loaded it (11 lbs total) with a travel pillow, two engineering textbooks wrapped in fleece and some large dog toys. Enough to lightly fill the 33L. I'd pre-adjusted to a short torso before filling. After putting it on and further adjusting, I think it is a good fit. I don't have the giant gap above the shoulder straps for once (below the load lifters) !! The on line store I bought it from has a 180 return policy and I happened upon a middle of the night 20% any clearance pack sale there so even if I don't keep it as a camino pack, I may keep it anyway. Would the rest of you short torso folks like me to continue reviewing as I buy the packs on my list?

So here's some pro's and con's first blush.
Pro's - woman's pack, nice short torso, hip belt fits, sternum strap adjusts enough that it doesn't choke me,side access to pack, choice of 33 or 43L capacity, floating lid, nice back ventilation system.
Con's - the empty pack weight, I have the should straps snugged down to almost their limit if I'm not wearing a jacket, won't be using the crazy helmet strap section (could be cut away), side access to back pocket and the pocket is nylon (not mesh or stretchable), no hip belt pockets (but that is ok since I'd prob be wearing my Patagonia waist bag for my camera and snacks anyway), hopefully the shoulder straps are padded enough! And some of the lightweight clips look terribly flimsy.

Hi GreatDane,
Maybe if you look at the REI website, and do a COMPARE of 4 packs at a time (find a pack you like and press the COMPARE button under the price on the page that has all the packs shown) you will be able to pare down your choices. Then call REI's flagship store in Seattle to see if they carry the ones you've selected - they probably will! Then make one trip to have them fitted to you.
I'm a woman, shorter than you by 1.5 in, have a short torso, and rounded shoulders. They checked me with the Osprey Kyte 36 (XS/S) and the Gregory Sage 35 (XS) -- then decided the same Gregory but in a S was better at 35 L, 1.4KG, 16" - <18" worked best for me (but there are shorter torso lengths depending on XS and S - and be sure you're wearing a woman's pack). The folks at REI are professional at what they do, and will take as much time as you need to make a proper decision - including filling the packs with a combination of weighted things and fluffy things, then send you on a "hike" around the store and up and down the stairs so you can feel the pack on your back.
Good luck from a 68 yo woman planning to walk in Sep/Oct this year.

Hello
I found it so difficult finding a women specific pack..Long story short after a year I purchased the Osprey Kyte 46. My reasoning for the 46 was that I may not be packing it everyday when I'm tired as well as I do now for my training hikes .Room to spare after my 10% .I would prefer to take it carry on if poss, and this pack compresses well ,so I m ok for international flight on that score unless the reduce again before I leave.

I really believe there is a great shortage of Women specific back packs .I saw mine in Atmosphere Abbotsford bc . Went to purchase next day it was gone. The great salesman Alex , searched til he found one and had them ship it ....what a gem !
It is perfect for me I'm 5'5" sm/med.
Now on to my hiking shoes/boots I am going to try the new balance store in Langley bc.they have a low cut boot that looks just perfect.
Keep on keeping on;)
72 yr solo lady walking Sept./ October 2014

Hello
I found it so difficult finding a women specific pack..Long story short after a year I purchased the Osprey Kyte 46. My reasoning for the 46 was that I may not be packing it everyday when I'm tired as well as I do now for my training hikes .Room to spare after my 10% .I would prefer to take it carry on if poss, and this pack compresses well ,so I m ok for international flight on that score unless the reduce again before I leave.

I really believe there is a great shortage of Women specific back packs .I saw mine in Atmosphere Abbotsford bc . Went to purchase next day it was gone. The great salesman Alex , searched til he found one and had them ship it ....what a gem !
It is perfect for me I'm 5'5" sm/med.
Now on to my hiking shoes/boots I am going to try the new balance store in Langley bc.they have a low cut boot that looks just perfect.
Keep on keeping on;)
72 yr solo lady walking Sept./ October 2014

Hi Hiker Lady,
Maybe I'll see you on the Camino -- I'm planning my 2nd walk for Sept/Oct 2014 as well - but with a SMALLER pack -- Gregory Jade 28, small - 26.5 liters as opposed to the 35 liters I took 3+ months ago! Hope it works 'cause I want to be free-er to walk the full distance and carry my own pack all the way.
Buen Camino!
Terry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Hiker Lady,
Maybe I'll see you on the Camino -- I'm planning my 2nd walk for Sept/Oct 2014 as well - but with a SMALLER pack -- Gregory Jade 28, small - 26.5 liters as opposed to the 35 liters I took 3+ months ago! Hope it works 'cause I want to be free-er to walk the full distance and carry my own pack all the way.
Buen Camino!
Terry
I'm thinking I'll look at the Osprey 36 just to see how it measures up.oh I'll be carrying it all "the way " No choice;)
Are you flying out of Seattle into Paris or London ?
I would like to hear more of your last trip?
Minah

I'm thinking I'll look at the Osprey 36 just to see how it measures up.oh I'll be carrying it all "the way " No choice;)
Are you flying out of Seattle into Paris or London ?
I would like to hear more of your last trip?
Minah

Hi Minah, Maybe PM me at terry13924 at seanet dot com for more info.
Terry

I took a very small pack my first time and it was a mistake. I ended up with a bag strapped to it to carry some things, and I didn't have a sleeping bag. My pack now is a 25+5. The main pocket is 25lts and the side pockets etc give the extra capacity if needed, or part pack and strap down as you wish. That works well for me, but I still do not carry a sleping bag as my husband has it is his pack. Total weight of pack, clothes etc plus water is 6.5kgs max.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you had a look at Osprey's new women's model of the Talon, the Tempest? It comes in a 30 litre and a 40 litre version (with bottom access, like the Talon 44) and in sizes XS/S and S/M. I am tall and broad shouldered so I might still want to go with the unisex/men's version, but for petite women the features, sizing and weight seems almost unbeatable. The Talons are a favourite on the Camino because of the comfortable fit when packing light. I know Cotswolds in the UK and REI in the UK have got them already. Worth having a look!

Terry
Hi Terry
I m sorry I cannot locate pm on the forum.
I sent message to you by email(gmail) let me know if I it arrived.
If not my email is ........kingminah01@gmail .com
Hope we can connect .We live 1 hr apart
Minah

Have you had a look at Osprey's new women's model of the Talon, the Tempest? It comes in a 30 litre and a 40 litre version (with bottom access, like the Talon 44) and in sizes XS/S and S/M. I am tall and broad shouldered so I might still want to go with the unisex/men's version, but for petite women the features, sizing and weight seems almost unbeatable. The Talons are a favourite on the Camino thinks we are because of the comfortable fit when packing light. I know Cotswolds in the UK and REI in the UK have got them already. Worth having a look!
Thanks nidarosa I am going to look into the Talon .Methinks we here in Canada are not on top of this issue because I have not seen a Talon advertised as yet
I'll let you know
Minah

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm planning on Camino Class of 2014 and starting to pull together gear now based on what I read here and my husband's experience his last two trips (Pennine Way - UK 2012 and SJPdP - Burgos 2013). My Camino boots are both Keens - one pair (Keen Targhee II mid) well broken in, the other (Keen Verdi - extremely lightweight) have about 75 miles on them mostly on dusty desert hill hiking and my past weekend trip of 16L on wet slimy clay covered basalt. Both very comfortable and both have room for end of day feet swelling.

Pack wise I am shopping. I have a very short torso - 15.5", I am a 5'4" woman. So many packs are not made in an extra short. And I live in a small community 200 miles from Seattle so I don't have the luxury of trying on a bunch of packs with out a trip or ordering a bunch and returning what doesn't work.

I am looking in the 35-45L range (based on what my husband packed -Osprey Talon 44). On paper I can find packs that should fit my short torso but they are heavy (Lowe Airzone Centro 33+10, 1.5 kilo) or lightweight packs that fit but I don't like the features (Go Lite Jam 35 but I don't like the dry bag top closure and no lid among other things), or most of the lightweight in the Osprey line (Exos or Talon) but they are in the 16" torso range at best.

So I am thinking i ultimately worry about the fit first? Then weight? Then capacity? And lastly features? What order should my priorities be in?

Fit first - Try the Vaude 38 L bag as it is adjustable. Fit is vital.

Update: Due to my job situation (still stuck at half time) and my husband being unemployed, I've put off my camino until September 2014. I currently have two packs and think I have settled on my Mammut Crea Light 40L. 1.025kg empty and I can set the torso length to extra short. Fits like a dream. I am missing just a few items but have my FOS weight at 7.1kg with about 5kg as the pack and contents. I am working on getting that weight down. Only concern is the lack of padding on the shoulder straps over long distance. Yes I know all the weight should rest on my hip bones not my shoulders...

My other pack that fits pretty darn good is my Lowe Alpine Centro 33+10, 1.58kg empty. The extra weight is in the heavier nylon fabric and in actual padding in the shoulder straps!

I'm 5'7" but have a VERY short waist. I bought an Osprey Talon (40L) in XS and it's perfect. The pack has an adjustable back measurement. Look at REI's website. They tell you the measurement range for each pack. Just click on the Specs tab for the item. They measured me in-store. SO I knew it was the right one for me. Their return policy is second to none. If it isn't right, send it back.

I can't tell you how thrilled I was to fit in anything XS! LOL

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Shoot, I for got in my previous reply to say it is a Talon Tempest that I have. I love the XS and adjustable torso. Perfect for short-waisted folks.

Thanks!! My husband did his camino last year with a regular Talon and loved it. I've bought two packs that I am still deciding on that both adjust down to 15" and fit me fantastic. Mammut Crea Light 40 and the Lowe Alpine Centro 33+10. I've loaded them up and worn both for an hour or two around the house. Below are the non-field but tested pros and cons that I can see so far.

Mammut Crea
Pro's - light weight, actual frame 19" tall (a plus when shoving it into the overhead storage in the tiny commuter planes we fly out of this burg), full mesh pocket on the body of the pack, comfortable. Con's - very little padding!!!! I may have to do the sponges in panty hose trick.

Lowe Alpine Centro
Pro's - built in rain cover (adds weight though), more hip and shoulder padding (adds weight though), heavier/sturdier fabric (adds weight though), very comfortable. Con's - no mesh pocket on back, it's a criss-cross bungee, 22" tall frame (kind of hits the back of my head)

Both seem to work well wearing either of my bum bags in front - A Patagonia Hip Travel Pack (187 gr) and the Granite Gear Nighthawk (365 gr). I like the Patagonia's weight but the Granite Gear's fit and size better. I'll be carrying my camera, kleenex, day money, guide and my credential in the bum bag.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.