Camino Portugues for a novice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked from Oporto in September. The southern part did have a fair amount of road walking. This was not too much of a problem of itself. The main difficulty for me was that the road ( even the smallest county lane) are all garnite set cobbles. This has even less ' give' than tarmac. A very hard surface. On the plus side as the route is North, it means that there is a great deal more shade the the east west route. This for me made walking into the middle or late afternoon a pleasant experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

jprogers

Nov 7, 2007
Adelaide Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2005
Ptgse 2007 Norte 2009 Ingles 2011
Vasco del 2013 Ourense to SdC 2016
Invierno? 2020
Hi there Im new to this site so I will start with a reply...we walked from Porto to Santiago in late May this year and the first day was on alot of tarmac with no footpaths -albeit "smaller"roads it feels uncomfortable. The second day also had narrow secondary roads with large trucks but from that time onwards any roads had safe verges to the road and then it is mostly on off road tracks and lanes. Its a lovely walk and not many steep hills. Take the advice of Brierly and get public transport out of Oporto if you want to avoid alot of street walking...take the Metro.
Cheers

It's true, the Camino Portugues has two points to cross "faster than normal", better than say to avoid it. The first is the 9 km you have to walk to leave Porto, and the second one is the Industrial Polygon before arriving Porriño, "As Gandaras".

The ideal for the polygon is to cross it on sunday to avoid the trucks, cars and noises.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.