• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - Last 100km

anaanes

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking the camino on 2019
I'll be taking the camino next year, but since I will only have a limited period of vacations to dedicate to it, I need to insert it between 14 and 18 june (both days included).
So, with such limited time, and being it my first camino experience, the last 100km will do the trick.
I'm having some difficulty on fitting the Portuguese camino in my schedule.
So my question is: Are the following paths valid paths to get my Compostela?

Vigo - Arcade - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padrón - Santiago de Compostela
or
O Porriño - Arcade - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padrón - Santiago de Compostela

On internet, the first one always substitutes Vigo for Oia and Baiona (1 more days than I have available, and starting on Baiona doesn't fits on the minimum 100km criteria). The second one always adds Tui to the path.

Can you please help me?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think starting at Vigo will qualify. The Pilgrim Office has its "maps" and taking circuitous routes does not fit its maps; Vigo is not officially 100 km or more.

O Porrino is a big question mark, and you should ask the Pilgrim Office or a volunteer who has worked there. It is so exactly 100 km that it will depend on what the Office has decided in the past. Tui qualifies for sure, so it is your safest bet. Buen camino.

I have just completed Valença to SDC. Starting in Tui just across the border - O Porrino - Redondela - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padrón - SDC. If that is one too many days, you could do Tui to Redondela which is long, 31km. See www.gronze.com/camino-portugues. It was a great walk, lovely views and long quiet stretches in forest including right into SDC.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have just completed Valença to SDC. Starting in Tui just across the border - O Porrino - Redondela - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padrón - SDC. If that is one too many days, you could do Tui to Redondela which is long, 31km. See www.gronze.com/camino-portugues. It was a great walk, lovely views and long quiet stretches in forest including right into SDC.

It adds one day to my schedule.
The trick is to go straight from Tui to Redondela, and skip O Poriño.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think starting at Vigo will qualify. The Pilgrim Office has its "maps" and taking circuitous routes does not fit its maps; Vigo is not officially 100 km or more.

O Porrino is a big question mark, and you should ask the Pilgrim Office or a volunteer who has worked there. It is so exactly 100 km that it will depend on what the Office has decided in the past. Tui qualifies for sure, so it is your safest bet. Buen camino.

thanks for your help!
A question: if I start in Tui and go straight ahead to Redondela, do I still need to get the O Porrino stamp?

Yes , from Redondela to Santiago is around 83km.
From Tui to Redondela is about 32km.

This is what it is

thanks for your help!
A question: if I start in Tui and go straight ahead to Redondela, do I still need to get the O Porrino stamp?
You need two sellos per day, so you will want something midway. Bars, gas stations, ayuntamientos, and restaurants have them. They may be nothing more than a return address stamp for envelopes, but they will do. Albergues and restaurants usually have something fancier.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Vigo fits the coastal portuguese camino.
https://caminoways.com/ways/portuguese-coastal-way-caminho-da-costa/portuguese-coastal-way-full-walk
From Vigo to Santiago are exactly 100km. But I don't know if it qualifies for the minimum 100km.

From Vigo to Santiago are exactly 100km. But I don't know if it qualifies for the minimum 100km.
Camino Ways is a commercial operation, I think, and the distances it shows are not reflected in any other map of the route. I still suggest contacting the Pilgrim Office to see what it says. Otherwise, the Camino may end up with disappointment. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi, the 100km marker is somewhere between Nigran and Vigo. I took this photo when I passed by, but sorry, I can’t remember exactly where! Maybe someone else can pinpoint the location accurately. It was in a forest, and there aren’t many of those between Nigran and Vigo.
Jill

873Km100VigoToNigran2.jpg

OK, got it (going by the time the photo was taken), it’s in the forest just north of the Río Saiáns.
Jill

I walked from Valenca to Santiago, and the official distance given at the Pilgrim's Office is 124km.

The 100km marker is just before O Porrino, but you'll miss that if you take the pretty alternative river route which is well worth doing.

It occurs to me that provided you get a stamp somewhere before O Porrino, like at hotel Alfonso near San Telmo or at the cafe in Orbenile, and walk from there you'd just about qualify, but to be on the safe side email the Pilgrim's Office for their advice.

You don't have to stay in Redondela if 33km is a bit too far - there are albergues in Mos and Padron before you reach Redondela. That would make another day a bit longer but avoids such a long walk on day 1.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back